Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I guess my opinion is a little less unpopular than I thought. (Although I have been told, on these very forums, that I sound "uneducated" for saying it.)

Do high school teachers still expect the students to identify with Holden Caulfield? Mine sure did, and I remember feeling downright insulted by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The best anime is Ping Pong the Animation

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

I guess my opinion is a little less unpopular than I thought. (Although I have been told, on these very forums, that I sound "uneducated" for saying it.)

Do high school teachers still expect the students to identify with Holden Caulfield? Mine sure did, and I remember feeling downright insulted by that.
Yes, in the same way you're supposed to identify with the characters in a Separate Peace.

No I don't think it makes sense I'm quoting my niece's 11th grade advanced English teacher. They really think poo poo written by middle aged folks in the 50's is relevant because literature.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

hawowanlawow posted:

it's fashionable to hate on lovecraft on these forums because sa is populated by like 80% this guy:

https://local.theonion.com/man-always-gets-little-rush-out-of-telling-people-john-1819578998

lol quoted for truth

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

fizzymercury posted:

Yes, in the same way you're supposed to identify with the characters in a Separate Peace.

No I don't think it makes sense I'm quoting my niece's 11th grade advanced English teacher. They really think poo poo written by middle aged folks in the 50's is relevant because literature.

What, you’ve never attempted an impulsive murder of one of your classmates out of a sense of envy?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Catcher in the rye is a great novel. Franny and Zooey is his masterwork though.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

christmas boots posted:

What, you’ve never attempted an impulsive murder of one of your classmates out of a sense of envy?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only books I really enjoyed reading in high school were Of Mice and Men, Lord of the Flies, A Brave New World, and To Kill a Mockingbird.

Oh, and Tess of the D'urbervilles. Mockingbird and Tess are actually two of my favorite books in general.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I liked Of Mice and Men because I understood a bunch of looney tunes jokes and characters afterward.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

David Bowie was a mediocre musician who somehow made a career out of jumping on whatever musical bandwagon was popular and adding nothing to it. His music is not interesting in any way, and I don't understand why anyone gave a poo poo about him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sweevo posted:

David Bowie was a mediocre musician who somehow made a career out of jumping on whatever musical bandwagon was popular and adding nothing to it. His music is not interesting in any way, and I don't understand why anyone gave a poo poo about him.

He wrote better songs than nearly anyone he can be accused of ripping off, hth

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Sweevo posted:

Play MGSV and tell me The Man Who Sold The World doesn't rip.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Play MGSV and tell me The Man Who Sold The World doesn't rip.

That isn't his version

But scary monsters was a far better album than the pleasure principal

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Sweevo posted:

Also everyone just kind of ignores that he was a literal white supremacist fascist for a while.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I was going to say that All Along The Watchtower is great, but then I remembered that's Bob Dylan, so nevermind.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Henchman of Santa posted:

He wrote better songs than nearly anyone he can be accused of ripping off, hth

He also drugged and hosed 14 year old groupies, but it was so common in the 70's and everyone was on so much drugs that it's fine, is a defense of Bowie I've seen seriously made.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

doverhog posted:

He also drugged and hosed 14 year old groupies, but it was so common in the 70's and everyone was on so much drugs that it's fine, is a defense of Bowie I've seen seriously made.

It’s not a good defense, but it’s also irrelevant to him being a good or bad musician

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Fair enough.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

Were there any other claims of this on Bowie's part beyond Lori Mattix? I'm familiar with that one, but apparently there's a lot of timeline issues in her account and she'd claimed to have lost her virginity to Bowie but also to Jimmy Page and and there aren't any photos of her with Bowi but a poo poo ton with Page.

E: Ah, there's Sable Starr. Forgot about her.

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Mar 29, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Just a couple of rapes nbd

You really gonna cancel the guy who gave us Heroes

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gaius Marius posted:

That isn't his version

But scary monsters was a far better album than the pleasure principal

Yeah and the best version is Nirvana's unplugged one

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah and the best version is Nirvana's unplugged one

Lmao no Nirvana version of any song is the best version.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

The Lead Belly version of Where Did You Sleep Last Night was better because a murder ballad is better when the person singing it is actually a murderer

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

Just a couple of rapes nbd

You really gonna cancel the guy who gave us Heroes

Motorhead's cover was better.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

The Lead Belly version of Where Did You Sleep Last Night was better because a murder ballad is better when the person singing it is actually a murderer

Cobain killed at least one dude.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

:drat:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gripweed posted:

The issue is that regular glasses are curved. Plain glass is flat. So they catch the light differently. When the entire lens lights up with reflected light, then it's flat glass and the glasses are fake.

They could have plano-concave or plano-convex lenses, flat on the outside with the prescription ground on the inside.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Jeez, I wonder if so many other artists covering his songs is any indication of how good of a songwriter he was?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Also everyone just kind of ignores that he was a literal white supremacist fascist for a while.

I see it talked about a lot, I'd hardly call it ignored if you read any kind of critical history of his work or glam rock. That's not a defence, just an observation.

Gripweed posted:

I love Devo, but Nirvana's version of Turnaround is way better than the original. And The Vaselines are cool, but the Nirvana covers are at least as good as the originals.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Mar 30, 2021

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Double post

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

it's fashionable to hate on lovecraft on these forums because sa is populated by like 80% this guy:

https://local.theonion.com/man-always-gets-little-rush-out-of-telling-people-john-1819578998

Love how immediately relevant this post was

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Steven Universe would have been better if it'd ended at the movie

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

Love how immediately relevant this post was

I'll cite the post as inspiration. Milkshakes all around.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People with Tattoos gross me out, you can tell as soon as you see them that they make poor decisions in life

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

People with Tattoos gross me out, you can tell as soon as you see them that they make poor decisions in life

I hate that I feel this way, but I do. I try so hard to not judge people in real life, but.. goddamn every single tattoo looks so loving awful.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Disco Pope posted:

And The Vaselines are cool, but the Nirvana covers are at least as good as the originals.

I want to like the Vaselines more - I get Son of a Gun stuck in my head pretty frequently - but they seem unable to write a whole song. They get a catchy verse and chorus going, then seem to run out of ideas and just play the first bits over again.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

I want to like the Vaselines more - I get Son of a Gun stuck in my head pretty frequently - but they seem unable to write a whole song. They get a catchy verse and chorus going, then seem to run out of ideas and just play the first bits over again.

This feels like a lot of ninties rock, and not in a good way like in the eighties

Btw is that Evola as your avatar? Dude was one of the nuttiest lads I've ever read

Captain Monkey posted:

I hate that I feel this way, but I do. I try so hard to not judge people in real life, but.. goddamn every single tattoo looks so loving awful.

It's so bad when it's some cringy Video game BS, or random Kanji, or a poorly drawn face, or an Ex. Just like stop.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lot of losers in this thread haven’t seen my badass barb wire around the bicep tat

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gaius Marius posted:

This feels like a lot of ninties rock, and not in a good way like in the eighties

Btw is that Evola as your avatar? Dude was one of the nuttiest lads I've ever read

Someone with an all-round unengaging song is one thing, but the Vaselines have really good hooks, so its disappointing that they keep running out of steam.

And no, its Karel Capek, the playwright. They do look kinda similar though. They could have been pretty good Draculas if they'd been in films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Interesting, he's the lad who created the term robot, I've heard the story but never put a face to the name. Yeah being a dracula probably would've been a better choice for Evola at least, rather than becoming a superfascist. He was even a count.