Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If every player in the league had to drink truth serum and then say what they think about the Watson situation we really wouldn’t like what we’d hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If every player in the league had to drink truth serum and then say what they think about the Watson situation we really wouldn’t like what we’d hear.

Stefon Diggs liked the Dez post. :silent:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Scipiotik posted:

Always a good idea to delete evidence during an active lawsuit and probable criminal probe. His attorney must be making GBS threads a brick.

ah yes the frank quattrone strategy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/dsleon45/status/1375940896852693003
https://twitter.com/dsleon45/status/1375943152201256964

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I have no doubt that nfl players have people trying to gently caress with them for a payday on a regular basis.

This is not whats happening with Watson.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Wheeler is being tried in a court of law

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Crazy that Deshaun Watson gets more attention than some guy nobody had ever heard of

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Crazy that Deshaun Watson gets more attention than some guy nobody had ever heard of

Don't tell forums poster half cocaine about him.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

Wheeler is being tried in a court of law

He also was promptly released and was basically forced to retire!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Wow. A non-Buzbee client says Watson pulled the same poo poo with her back in 2019.

https://twitter.com/JennyVrentas/status/1376606917116710914?s=20

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

^^^ e: beaten

Okay hoping this will put the Buzbee conspiracy theories to bed.

quote:

“The one thing I keep thinking about is, he’s about to get traded to another place,” Mary says. “What if he goes to Atlanta or California or anywhere else? He would have a whole new community of massage therapists to target.”

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/29/first-hand-story-of-deshaun-watson-inappropriate-behavior-not-in-lawsuit

Someone else who hasn't filed suit but had a similar experience.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

What's also important to note is this incident was in fall 2019, earlier than everything we've heard about so far

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Watson is a monster apparently. Yeah.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Is that the earliest reported incident so far?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fartknocker posted:

Is that the earliest reported incident so far?

Yes, all the Buzbee stuff is 2020-21.

If this goes back to pre-COVID, then I'm almost certain he was doing this at Clemson.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Please bring down Dabo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Woah SI doing some journalism

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

This reads as if watson was just starting out his predatory behavior and its only escalated since. I wonder if she was the first, especially if he got recommended by another massage therapist

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There are places where he can go get a massage that ends the way he wants it to. This is pretty clearly a power thing where he gets off on making these women uncomfortable. It's pretty sick imo.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah he very clearly needs the extra boost of "I convinced/forced a woman who doesn't normally engage in this behavior to do it"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yikes man. gently caress Watson. He clearly did all this and that account was gross.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think it's possible that he's the week 1 starter for the Texans' or that he never plays in the NFL again. The range of possible outcomes in this situation seems infinite.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
There's no loving way he plays. The NFL will take that choice out of the Texans' hands long before then. Remember, this is the offseason. When the coverage machine starts up again in training camp, you would see volumes of IS IT A DISTRACTION takes and questions that would force the NFL to finally do something.

The only possibility is he settles all these claims before the season, and the NFL investigates and doesn't think they have merit.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I tell you what I'd like to know; what institutional support he might have gotten in college and pros to squash news of this stuff, and what level of journalistic incapability allowed him be this prolific without any reporter catching the scent.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GD_American posted:

I tell you what I'd like to know; what institutional support he might have gotten in college and pros to squash news of this stuff, and what level of journalistic incapability allowed him be this prolific without any reporter catching the scent.

It's pretty striking how Watson's profile in the media has been like the greatest dude of all time before this.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Much like the Coz.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Woah SI doing some journalism

I mean we were all waiting on the traditional journalists to chime in...

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Depending on how quiet people who knew about it were it might not be journalistic malpractice; word of it might just never have reached a reporter's ears until suits were filed

As far as we know right now based on the lawsuits, the people who knew about it were 1) Watson 2) the masseuses and anyone they talked to 3) that one other NFL player mentioned in the most recent one, who is technically part of 2 but would have more pull with sports reporters, presumably.

1 is definitely not going to talk, obviously. 3 appears to have chosen not to. As far as the rest of the people in 2 probably knew, for the most part, they were the only ones to whom it had happened and Watson had threatened them with ruin. I could see how this might have been kept hushed for this long until a few of them broke the dam.

It does seem like with this many people that's unlikely, though. Even Weinstein was known in Hollywood to be a guy you don't wanna be in a room alone with.

e: and good luck getting any journalists to fess up to wrongdoing right now

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty striking how Watson's profile in the media has been like the greatest dude of all time before this.

Clone Diana Moskovitz. I've said it ad nauseum, but I can't believe other sports outlets haven't tried to steal her from Deadspin/Defektor, or at least create their own. She's made breaking stories like these her bread and butter.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Depending on how quiet people who knew about it were it might not be journalistic malpractice; word of it might just never have reached a reporter's ears until suits were filed

I'm not calling malpractice (unless we hear that someone sat on this story), but it's kind of amazing that there wasn't a whisper network loud enough to tip a journo off. They pay attention to message board rumors and poo poo as leads too.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Over 2+ years with various victims in various locations that correlate to his play schedule (<- that is something I read in an article, I didnt actually vet this myself)
Incredibly consistent pattern of behavior
Incredibly consistent pattern of victim

Agree with you GD American. How the gently caress could he possibly play again? He might have victimized over 50+ women at this rate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

Over 2+ years with various victims in various locations that correlate to his play schedule (<- that is something I read in an article, I didnt actually vet this myself)
Incredibly consistent pattern of behavior
Incredibly consistent pattern of victim

Agree with you GD American. How the gently caress could he possibly play again? He might have victimized over 50+ women at this rate.

If he doesn't get convicted of anything criminally it's overwhelmingly likely he plays again....

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Colin Kaepernick kneeled during the anthem

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It does seem like with this many people that's unlikely, though. Even Weinstein was known in Hollywood to be a guy you don't wanna be in a room alone with.

I think the difference is Weinstein (and Louis CK and a lot of these other serial abuses) was doing this to people on his industry, so there’s a social amount of social proximity. If you were an actress he abused and you mentioned it to someone you work with the odds of that story getting around to someone else with the same experience are pretty reasonable, especially as he added more and more victims. So you start hearing the same stories from a lot of different places and it becomes just sort of a known thing and when it finally goes public you’ve got a bunch of people saying “yea, that been going on for years.”

Watson is picking people that don’t know him, don’t know his friends, and don’t know each other, so he can make them feel isolated.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

GD_American posted:

100%

Was he doing this poo poo to team staff? Did someone pull him aside and say go to massage parlors away from campus if you're going to do that poo poo? There is no way a switch flipped when he was drafted, and he suddenly realized he loved to victimize.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

It's not malpractice it is just incompetence. They have to care enough for it to be malpractice. They were so busy writing the hagiography of Watson because he supported all their favorite causes, that they couldn't bother to actually get to know the guy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man, This faux apology parlayed into sex addiction news tour, into the eventual sex addict therapy rollout this summer/fall is gonna be sensational.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

pasaluki posted:

It's not malpractice it is just incompetence. They have to care enough for it to be malpractice. They were so busy writing the hagiography of Watson because he supported all their favorite causes, that they couldn't bother to actually get to know the guy.

I guess we will see when all of the details come out but this seems like something you wouldn’t find if you weren’t specifically looking for it. I can’t really blame a journalist for not going around asking everyone they could find if Deshaun Watson is a sexual predator as part of their coverage of his support of BLM. That would raise a lot of red flags.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think the difference is Weinstein (and Louis CK and a lot of these other serial abuses) was doing this to people on his industry, so there’s a social amount of social proximity. If you were an actress he abused and you mentioned it to someone you work with the odds of that story getting around to someone else with the same experience are pretty reasonable, especially as he added more and more victims. So you start hearing the same stories from a lot of different places and it becomes just sort of a known thing and when it finally goes public you’ve got a bunch of people saying “yea, that been going on for years.”

Watson is picking people that don’t know him, don’t know his friends, and don’t know each other, so he can make them feel isolated.

Yeah, that's the big key here. Watson was going after random nobodies on Instagram, particularly and especially people who barely had any experience in actual massage therapy and therefore wouldn't be likely to be connected to other massage therapists. Like half the suits mention that the plaintiff for that suit decided to drop their burgeoning career in massage therapy after encountering Watson, making it even less likely that they'd encounter other people who'd had the same experience.

This is also a big part of why Buzbee's initial announcement that a few women were filing suit against Watson almost immediately had more than a dozen more women contact him. Given how consistent Watson was with all these victims, it'd take reading the details of just one single lawsuit to go "Hey, that's exactly what happened to me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

GD_American posted:

Clone Diana Moskovitz. I've said it ad nauseum, but I can't believe other sports outlets haven't tried to steal her from Deadspin/Defektor, or at least create their own. She's made breaking stories like these her bread and butter.

she sticks her thumb in the eye of power and doesn’t draw huge numbers of clicks. i think she’s great but ad people probably think she’s poison