Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

If there are parts you don't care about, you can enable/disable different parts of the UI overlay.

Yeah but what could you do away with there really? The problem isn't that it's presenting unnecessary information, it's that the scaling of it is totally bonkers- understandable for non-docked mode but if I had to look at that on my TV I would be really really sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
This game is amazingly, psychotically cute. The dango song alone could give you diabetes. Petting cohoots in town? Snuggling your puppy whenever you want? drat. Sometimes Komitsu will just hang out with Hinoa at the quest bench and much away contentedly on dango right next to your quest menu the whole time, and the rice sculptor kid with a crush on her can sidle up and share while stealing glances and blushing. It's almost criminally saccharine, and therefore a perfect MH entry.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the reddit for this game is filled with so many weirdos who are claiming MH is now a filthy casual game, because poo poo like hot and cold drinks are gone lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

the reddit for this game is filled with so many weirdos who are claiming MH is now a filthy casual game, because poo poo like hot and cold drinks are gone lol

lmao I fuckin knew that was going to piss someone off. I told my girlfriend last night "I haven't seen it yet but I bet someone's mad they got rid of the hot/cold drink busywork" and yep

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

But it's unrealistic that I can stand next to a lava river and not take any damage! Everyone knows you have to drink something cold beforehand so that the lava doesn't hurt.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Ciaphas posted:

I'm giving GS another try. What should I be doing when most other weapons I'd have time for a single quick hit, and not enough time to even do a basic charge attack (let alone strong or true)? I barely know the other combos at all anymore from World.

You should have time to get an uncharged swing in and roll out in most situations. If you could get a quick hit in then dodge on another weapon you can probably do it on GS. Don't forget that LZ+A silkbind is a big ground zip that seems like you can basically use it almost any time you could roll so feel free to do that after a swing instead of roll if you won't get far enough to avoid damage. Otherwise if you know what attack is coming you can often do a charge, prepare another charge, then shoulder tackle through the attack instead of trying to dodge it and try to land a TCS in the recovery. Also don't forget you can block, it's not great to rely on since it tanks your sharpness but rolling out of a swing into block for something you can't dodge is perfectly viable. A good skill to learn is when you can roll INTO an attack to dodge instead of away too. If you're up in a monster's face smashing it with the GS and it's about to bite you, you can sometimes get away with rolling forward underneath it or through the hitbox of a claw swipe or something relying on iframes to get you through.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a metric crapton of stuff to do now that I've reached high rank...this game is wonderful

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

There's stuff hidden behind the Y button menu in the inventory and weapon upgrade screens that World did better, that's one of the few nitpicks I have so far. In inventory for eg, you have to go into the Y menu to specify how many to transfer where World let you just hit R or Zr to decrease by 1 or move all.

Getting to the detailed ammo screen for a bowgun is at the bottom of the Y menu where World had it on L3 (I think?). Took me a while to notice that so I'm now looking for the Y menu in most every screen.

It's easy enough to adjust to, but wish they'd copied World for those screens. On the other hand, there are so many other improvements over World that I'm happy with this as is.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Hellioning posted:

But it's unrealistic that I can stand next to a lava river and not take any damage! Everyone knows you have to drink something cold beforehand so that the lava doesn't hurt.

It's a village of ninjas, they're just dodging the heat / cold so fast the Switch can't display it and they look like they're just standing around fighting normally.

It's why they don't get wet riding their dogs through the water, they're just dodging all the H2O molecules.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

It’s taken awhile for this to start to click again after not playing MHW in a long time, but I’m really starting to enjoy it.

I spent most of my time using bows, bowguns, and sometimes the hammer in MHW. For some reason the new bow hasn’t felt as fun but I am enjoying the LBG. Hammer is cool but I’m still learning the new mechanics.

I never got too far into DB in World, but they seem pretty fun. However, are they _intended_ to be really button-mashy? It seems to be less about certain combos versus managing your stamina and “demon meter” and just Always Be Slicing. Is there a deeper level to them that I’m just not aware of? For context, I kinda like the frenzied button mashing but I feel like I must not be playing them “right”.

I never really got great with lances in World, but I gotta say that the new gun lance has piqued my interest too...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The special license tests are neat and I’m glad I did everything I can possibly do for Village and it leads me right to the urgent rampage right before HR unlocks.

As expected, rampages are way more fun in a group.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

As expected, rampages are way more fun in a group.

I hated rampages when I first tried them and was absolutely dreading the idea that I'd have to do a bunch of them for materials. Then I tried one online and yeah, they are much more fun in a group. The chaos becomes hilarious when there are three other hunters running around doing things.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s crazy that they have all these other unnecessary weapons in the game.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i joined a hunt with greatsword last night without realizing it but i swapped to gunlance for the kill, i hope that doesn't count against me on my hunter card

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Ciaphas posted:

I'm giving GS another try. What should I be doing when most other weapons I'd have time for a single quick hit, and not enough time to even do a basic charge attack (let alone strong or true)? I barely know the other combos at all anymore from World.

The first secret to greatsword is that the draw attack does like just under half the damage of a level 3 charge, so the key is that your weapon should basically never be out unless you're either doing a draw attack or you have a good read on a monster. This sounds counterintuitive but the added mobility of being able to run around constantly with little downtime means you can run laps around monsters and easily slap weak zones or heads.

The second secret to greatsword is that every attack has a ton of recovery where your hunter makes a big show of hefting their giant sword around, but nearly every animation can be cancelled by dodging. This allows you to be extremely ballsy by chopping a monster directly in it's face and then rolling away or even through their response. Evasion skills make this even better.

Once you feel comfortable with a monster you can start doing stuff like running to where it'll be when it ends an attack and start charging preemptively. The focus skill makes this SIGNIFICANTLY easier and is basically mandatory outside of low rank.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Rampage mode is fun in multi, but I do not like it much alone. It's hilarious with 4 players, and the diverse crafting material rewards seem like a great way to fill out a given tier of equipment.

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

DLC Inc posted:

I am someone who was disappointed with a lot of worlds changes and am still glad cold drinks are gone. Forgetting your hot drinks was fine, you can live with the stamina loss but cold drinks were mandatory and you usually couldn't craft enough on site unless you were lucky gathering.

I don't even get why you would be upset at their removal at this point, having access to your item box makes them completely pointless.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s crazy that they have all these other unnecessary weapons in the game.

yeah i dont get it either

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

was searching gamefaqs for something and the two most popular topics on release day were about removing genders on character creation. thats right, I said TWO topics

:cursed:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

mentalcontempt posted:

I never got too far into DB in World, but they seem pretty fun. However, are they _intended_ to be really button-mashy? It seems to be less about certain combos versus managing your stamina and “demon meter” and just Always Be Slicing. Is there a deeper level to them that I’m just not aware of? For context, I kinda like the frenzied button mashing but I feel like I must not be playing them “right”.
All the melee weapons are pretty spammy once you get the hang of them, it's probably you've acclimated to DBs pretty quickly.

Deepness in any melee weapon is how to maintain uptime - so for DBs you just learn when and where to spin

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wrist Watch posted:

Once you feel comfortable with a monster you can start doing stuff like running to where it'll be when it ends an attack and start charging preemptively. The focus skill makes this SIGNIFICANTLY easier and is basically mandatory outside of low rank.

This is more or less why I was asking the original question - I suck at getting the position right when I try to gotcha-bitch a monster like that, and not for lack of trying ([ASK] me how many Anjanath I've fought and missed TCSes by inches on). So I figure instead I'd do what I do on every other weapon: stay in close, get whatever attacks I can until a real opportunity shows, THEN go for TCS (either by 3 charge attacks or by tackle-cancelling as time-appropriate). Which is why I asked what GS attacks are appropriate when time is limited

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 29, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Perhaps the most important thing to internalize about DB is just "be careful not to start Blade Dance on accident."

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
So I got the credits to roll and I JUST learned that ZR will make the Palamute jump manually.

I read good.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

So I got the credits to roll and I JUST learned that ZR will make the Palamute jump manually.

I read good.
how were you climbing the walls on the back of the doggo then?

oh dear

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I read good.

yeah you can yoshi jump your palamute

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rascyc posted:

oh dear

He climbs them automatically like a good doggo.

I didn't know he could jump either. I'm sure it's in one of the 40,000 text dumps the game throws into your menu in the first half hour.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Rascyc posted:

oh dear

I was yoshi jumping off him and using the wirebug, then calling him again....'

stev posted:

He climbs them automatically like a good doggo.

He only climbs climbable walls automatically, but little cliffs and whatnot that aren't covered in vines, he wont...

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I was yoshi jumping off him and using the wirebug, then calling him again....'

He only climbs climbable walls automatically, but little cliffs and whatnot that aren't covered in vines, he wont...
oh I don't think the jump even works on those (uncovered), so you didn't miss out on much then

yoshi jump is more fun anyway luv it

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You can get a bit of extra initial height from jumping your palamute against a wall they won't scale and hopping off from the bounce (which can still put you in wallrun mode).

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Harrow posted:

lmao I fuckin knew that was going to piss someone off. I told my girlfriend last night "I haven't seen it yet but I bet someone's mad they got rid of the hot/cold drink busywork" and yep

It's funny, there's a lot of grognardy stuff from the older games that I feel in the aggregate have been sanded down just a little too far, but I can't think of any I'd actually want to see again individually. Except having to actually track a monster and not just being able to see it on the minimap at the start, that's lame :colbert:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you jump the dog at a wall that is like, ~a story high or less he will climb it whether there are vines or not.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I do like opening a fight by jumping off of my already airborne palamute. It's solid way to land a head or tail shot right off the bat.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Haven't really gotten to start the game yet due to work but I'm facing the same problem I always do in these games.

The inability to pick a weapon to actually stick with. Over the years I've dabbled in a lot other than like the lances, charge blade & switch axe (because I'm a dumb baby and always fumble the mechanics in actual hunts), and the bowguns.

It's especially hard to choose now with all the cool wirebug stunts and switch skills. :negative:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
How do you unlock the 3rd switch skill slot? I've got the early one you get, the one you get from crafting but not the one where you get a quest for every weapon. I'm 6* Village and 2* Hub, do I need to increase my hub rank?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

quiggy posted:

It's funny, there's a lot of grognardy stuff from the older games that I feel in the aggregate have been sanded down just a little too far, but I can't think of any I'd actually want to see again individually. Except having to actually track a monster and not just being able to see it on the minimap at the start, that's lame :colbert:

I played MHGU after I played MHW, and let me tell you, I am so glad that there's not a chance to fail for crafting anymore, nor do I need to spend any zenny to buy whetstones. Or paintballs.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

quiggy posted:

I'm in the same boat. I do enjoy the idea of little mechanical bits and bobs that help sell the conceit that you're hunting monsters in the wilderness and need to prepare, bring the right tools, know their habits and so on rather than this being another action game looter-booper, but many of the older mechanics were annoying. I do miss the scoutflies and tracks system though. Just having psychoserum active all the time from second zero feels a bit weak. Game is still awesome though.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

beer gas canister posted:

I do like opening a fight by jumping off of my already airborne palamute. It's solid way to land a head or tail shot right off the bat.

It feels really good

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

Ehhh. The framerate dipping isn't actually even what bothers me the most although 60 certainly wouldn't hurt it, it's the horribly cluttered UI at 720p. It's kind of amusing to me that you can click anywhere in eg this video and have probably a 50% chance of seeing a UI crime against humanity. It seems to be a relatively common complaint so maybe they'll patch it though.

The UI complaint myself and Your Computer keep having is in the first screenshot, the song list (which you virtually never need anymore) protrudes obnoxiously into your vision. You can turn it off, but only by also disabling the infernal melody meter and note bar (which are tiny and helpful to have). It needs to be a separate toggle!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I am here to sell ALL Great Sword users on the Rage Slash:

https://twitter.com/TaurusOxford/status/1376618262637604866

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has anyone tried Rampage with randos? What kind of experience is that like?