Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VideoGames posted:

So tomorrow I am down to do more of this ancient Indiana Jones esque temple! Hopefully get past these tremendously tall stampy T-rexes! :)

Missed a stream, but it sounds like you're in Sunken King now? :) The DLC is so good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
i've been considering cancelling the mattress i bought with my biden bucks (an old man, responsible decision) to try and buy a pair of the lil nas x human blood satan shoes instead (a horrendously irresponsible decision)

e: apparently i missed out on them guess i will simply get a good night's sleep instead of waking up with a spring inside of my thigh

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
such is the power of the poster

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Looper posted:

congratulations!

Thanks! Maybe.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Hell yah, my vita is still my fave handheld, it's the true gamers console (tm)

Do not, however, buy vita memory cards, they die frequently and the price is why the vita never took off. Get an SD2Vita and post in the vita thread if you need help w/ it.
I will be shocked if I do win since my bid is about 20% less than the lowest price I've seen.

Are the sd card adapters not plug and play? They are for the PSP. Also can the Vita emulate the PSP reasonably well?

I almost hope I lose and the price drops further now the store is closing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Shoes with blood in them. Big deal I'm full of blood already buddy. Maybe sell shoes with like, happiness in them or something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Give me the bidenbux and I'll come bleed on the shoes you already have

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Walla posted:

Thanks! Maybe.

I will be shocked if I do win since my bid is about 20% less than the lowest price I've seen.

Are the sd card adapters not plug and play? They are for the PSP. Also can the Vita emulate the PSP reasonably well?

they're not plug and play, because they make the weird rear end decision to put the sd card adapter in the game card slot rather than the memory card slot. so it only works on a modded vita thats set up to mount the game card as memory. it's easy though and you should probably be modding your vita anyway

and the psp emulation is perfect

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Walla posted:

Nope, you gotta hack it, but it's worth hacking anyway, and yes it emulates PSP flawlessly, since it has a PSP in it. Also PS1 games. Even upscales and filters if you want.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

i've been considering cancelling the mattress i bought with my biden bucks (an old man, responsible decision) to try and buy a pair of the lil nas x human blood satan shoes instead (a horrendously irresponsible decision)

e: apparently i missed out on them guess i will simply get a good night's sleep instead of waking up with a spring inside of my thigh

There is never a reason to buy thousand dollar shoes.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

mango sentinel posted:

There is never a reason to buy thousand dollar shoes.

What about these shoes

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MGS4: Naomi: "All the PAIN and FURY and SORROW" :thunkher:

And then she says "war was like a game" while all the franchise logos show up lol

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

MGS4: Naomi: "All the PAIN and FURY and SORROW" :thunkher:

yeah they always forget the joy for some reason

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
the boss in mgs3 is such a good character model

and character in general. sucks she was only in the one game

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the boss in mgs3 is such a good character model

and character in general. sucks she was only in the one game

The best summation of the MGS lore I've ever seen is "Imagine if the world was secretly run by a group of people competing to see who could misinterpret John Lennon's Imagine the worst."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FOXDIE causing a global pandemic is not what I need to hear right now

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1376586739234537477

I don’t get it. How much can it possibly cost to keep the servers up?

Crap, guess I better make sure I have everything I could ever want from the PS3 store

Ahhhh dammit the assholes already pulled all of the PS3 content off of their browser storefront so I have to look for it through the PS3

At the very least they're leaving a lot of classic PS1 and PS2 titles to die and they just... never ported them to the PS4?

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 29, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
DREBIN GAVE ME NEW FOXDIE WHAAAAA

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
If I were to get into Enter the Gungeon or BoI, which one is better? I started EtG this weekend and it is reminding me a LOT of BoI, which I played during a work trip on the plane and started getting into, then just didn't pick it up after that. What other games are similar to those? I enjoyed Helldivers and Cryptark a lot, but was never able to defeat the cryptark.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I would go with Enter the Gungeon. Binding of Isaac has a really awful aesthetic that I hated enough to never play the game for more than twenty minutes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can't believe I'm about to make an effortpost gushing about the story mode of a f2p card game, but here we are. I recently caught up with the most recent completed arc of shadowverse's story and I can't help but post. Spoilers, I guess, so skip this post if you care.

For a bit of context on Shadowverse's story, it started out extremely boring and has been slowly working its way up ever since. The initial arc is about the nine main characters having their world put to sleep by a semi-divine dimension-hopping being, then vowing to chase her across a multiverse in order to save their world. Pretty standard stuff, and not executed all that well. It gets a bit dark in places as characters confront their demons, but all of them ultimately overcome them and end up in a better mental place than where they started. The next arc is pretty bog-standard action storytelling. They land in a world on the brink of war, the characters split up amongst the factions that speak to them, and there's some character development as they try to decide how they fit in this new world. There's a few twists and turns about who the bad guy is, but in the end it's a story that gets wrapped up neatly by finding the right bad guy and fighting her. The execution was alright. The third arc splits the characters between a machine world and a nature world. The machine world story is about the man who made the machines being a petulant child who refuses to accept things outside of his control, and the robots who gained emotions rebelling against him. The nature world story is a bit less straightforward--the world's god is trying to destroy the world, and the world is split between factions who want to just let her do it and ones who want to kill her. There's a bunch of twists (for example, the leader of the "kill her" faction is trying to get himself killed by the leader of the other faction) but ultimately it plays out just like you'd expect from a mostly-positive anime story just from reading the outline--the heroes find a way to save the goddess the whole conflict is rendered moot. The bad guy from the machine story starts invading the nature world and all the characters from the two stories come together to fight him in a big climax. It's all pretty well executed but there really isn't that much more going on than what I just laid out. Not exactly the kind of thing I stay up until 3:00 to finish and then breathlessly rush in to effortpost about the next day.

Which brings me to the next arc, the one I'm posting about. It's in a western-themed world, full of cowboy hats and gunfights. Rather than continue to follow the nine characters who have been the leads up until now, it focuses on new characters who are natives of this world. Only one of the nine dimension-hoppers is here, and she just sort of flits in and out of the story, not doing very much and not being a POV character until the very end. The themes of the story are about a rotten world where only a privileged few can live comfortably, and nearly all power is locked up in the hands of three demigods. Over and over, the game reminds you that the people at the bottom hurt each other to survive--but that the root cause of the circumstances that drove them to it is always at the top. The new POV characters are:

• A pair of robin hood outlaws, stealing from the demigod who controls all the wealth, and finally concluding that the only answer to this broken world is revolution
  • A sheriff's deputy haunted by the innocent life he mistakenly took in a gunfight, but whose sense of justice gives him no choice but to try to confront the real source of misery
  • An assassin for the church, killing sinners in the name of the gods--but convinced that the gods aren't listening, and that it's just humans here, making her a murderer
  • A woman trapped between life and death, seeking retribution for the murder of her family. As her memories start to recover, she decides that they must have been killed by someone driven by desperate circumstances, like so many others

And that's the setup going into the final act--a popular revolution sweeping the city. Everyone with a name convinced the demigod of wealth has to go to fix this world, including one of the other demigods. The set up to a fairly normal resolution. At this point, it's fairly interesting that the heroes are proactive in identifying the endemic problems and trying to solve them, rather than reactively trying to prevent new problems, but ultimately it's not that much of a departure. And even then, the demigod whose metaphorical castle they're storming has been acting extra-shady lately and is clearly up to something more than the usual. But it's really the final arc that made me have to post this. At this point you think the story is about how society rots from the top, and everyone once in a while you need a revolution to set things straight. But it's not. It's actually about the crushing despair of having nothing when the man at the top has it all. Over the course of the final act, one of the two outlaws dies--the one who was convinced that revolution and positive change were possible, leaving his surviving partner who just wanted to burn things in vengeance. The deputy ends up killing more innocents in the battle, and the church assassin takes his life when his sins are too much for him to bear, then takes her own. The dead woman learns that her family's death was not the act of a desperate murderer driven to extremes by an unjust world--it was a random act of violence by a psychopath who wanted to test if he could. And in her anger, she decides the whole world must be destroyed, and leads an army of the dead to slaughter the living. And again, these are the point of view characters. We're taken along with them on every step of their rise and fall.

Leaving just the one character who isn't native to this world. The character from the previous arcs who I said wouldn't be important until the climax. She makes it to the demigod of wealth, and, in the simplicity she's learned from the previous stories, figures "well here's the bad guy. I just need to kill him and then everything will be better." And she does--as the only being from another world, her bow is the only weapon here which isn't his "property" and which he has no control over. But we've seen what his magic looks like--it's all about receiving payment. He'll say things like "you fired 50 of my bullets and killed 10 of my henchmen. The bill comes to 400,000," and then when they can't pay, their bodies are consumed. The final stinger on this failure of a revolution is that when he's killed, he charges her the bill for taking his life. And that's where the arc ends. Fade to black, curtain falls. The first chapter of the next arc has come out already and it's set in an entirely different world. This world isn't completely destroyed, but it's thoroughly on its way out, with the body count piling up. It would take a hell of a deus ex machina to do anything other than the most bitter of bittersweet endings when they return. Though they've dropped a few hints that there may be time travel or some other mechanism for the world-hopping character to revisit her choices during this arc, so maybe it will be deus ex machinaed into a happy ending. I hope not, personally, I wouldn't want the sting retroactively ruined.

Anyways, compared to like, actual literature or even the best video game stories, it isn't that special, but I was just so shocked that anything like this could come out of the story of a f2p card game of all things, and I figured that it was so unlikely people here would be bothered by spoilers that I could effortpost the whole thing without anyone minding. So I really wanted to post about it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I haven't played EtG that much, but BoI is probably both easier to get into and a bigger, deeper game. But it also has really divisive art and absolutely horrifying underlying themes so it's understandable if either of those is a dealbreaker

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

redreader posted:

If I were to get into Enter the Gungeon or BoI, which one is better? I started EtG this weekend and it is reminding me a LOT of BoI, which I played during a work trip on the plane and started getting into, then just didn't pick it up after that. What other games are similar to those? I enjoyed Helldivers and Cryptark a lot, but was never able to defeat the cryptark.

I think EtG is the better game. It's much more consistently fun and I think plays better. Based on the other two games you mentioned I think it's a better fit.

BoI is good if you like big bloated games with tons of unlocks, weird interactions, and esoterica you'll only learn though wiki diving. It's not bad but they lost the plot somewhere and decided that the game needed to be harder and did so in generally obnoxious ways. It is getting an expansion in like 2 days but I'm not sure if it intends to address any of the issues or simply add more cruft.

EtG is aesthetically better too yeah, and the gross out stuff in BoI doesn't really bother me but I can't say its good. EtG also had a better implementation of co op if that matters.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rarity posted:

DREBIN GAVE ME NEW FOXDIE WHAAAAA

I feel like I could reply to every reaction to MGS4 plot developments with "yeah lol" and have it be entirely sincere

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Crap, guess I better make sure I have everything I could ever want from the PS3 store

Ahhhh dammit the assholes already pulled all of the PS3 content off of their browser storefront so I have to look for it through the PS3

At the very least they're leaving a lot of classic PS1 and PS2 titles to die and they just... never ported them to the PS4?

I'd say it's worth picking up God Hand, Parasite Eve 1-2, Dino Crisis 1-2, Resident Evil 1-3 (although the version of 1 on the US store is the DualShock version with the weird music), Silent Hill, Alundra, Vagrant Story, Ridge Racer Type 4 and Gradius V as I think none of them will see another digital release for quite some time, if ever. Also WipEout, Destruction Derby, Soviet Strike if you're nostalgic for the early PS1 days.

Also if you like shmups Donpachi, Dodonpachi and Raiden are on the Japanese PSN store.

edit: oh man I forgot to say Tokyo Jungle

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 29, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'll be honest, I'm into it, I'm always a sucker for a cool story from an incredibly unlikely place.

I should probably get back into Shadowverse really, it's a remarkably good card game for being from that huge wave of Hearthstone ripoffs.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redreader posted:

BoI has way more content but EtG is, imo, probably the single best action roguelike from a gameplay perspective.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

drat there was a lot going on in the last page.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

BoI has way more content but EtG is, imo, probably the single best action roguelike from a gameplay perspective.

:agreed:

EtG is so good it makes BoI redundant imo. Plus it's charming as hell and I love the puns

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Wow. Honestly expected everyone to say BoI is a way better game. I do find the art a bit too much. Like, I'm not grossed out but I'd rather look at nicer - looking things. I also looked at the wiki for BoI and thought 'holy poo poo? really?'. I'm glad to hear the EtG is so well-regarded. I like the intro screen and song too :) I've played about 3 runs with the first 3 characters, starting on the left, and don't have a favourite yet.

Is there metagame progress, or is it all within the run? With BoI I think you unlocked items that could appear in chests or something? I'm not sure if there's anything in EtG.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There's metagame. You earn credits with which you can buy gear from NPCs once you find them. You get the credits from boss fights.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
If anyone is still playing BoI these days there is an essential mod on the Steam workshop that tells you what every item does when you get near it. There are way too many joke items that gently caress up a run to go without, especially if you have all the expansions.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a ton of new gear to unlock, some new characters, shortcuts, that kinda thing.

My only complaint with ETG is that it coulda done with an expansion pack to add a few new bosses and a level or something.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

Nuclear Throne

But yeah EtG felt like a lot tighter package than BoI to me. Also the hapless anthropomorphic bullets are great and I liked the relentless, stupid "everything is a gun/bullet, everything" theming

Definitely more there with BoI but if it were up to me I would play it after Nuclear Throne and EtG

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BoI is a great example of why "more content != better game" is a rule any developer should take to heart.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Acerbatus posted:

There's a ton of new gear to unlock, some new characters, shortcuts, that kinda thing.

My only complaint with ETG is that it coulda done with an expansion pack to add a few new bosses and a level or something.

Enter the Gungeon did in fact get a massive update, Advanced Gungeons and Dragons, which changed a shitload about the entire game and added a billion things

And it was free!!!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol Cyberpunk 2077 update 1.2 is finally out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

lol Cyberpunk 2077 update 1.2 is finally out.

Its 4GB and the bug fix list is insanely long. Hoping this fixes performance on console so my gf can finally finish the game and I can talk to her about the ending (I played on PC, she on PS4)

Still at this point its probably worth just waiting until all the free DLC updates come out too.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I'm gonna wait till the Enhanced edition in late 2022

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Walla posted:

Thanks! Maybe.

homeless snail posted:

they're not plug and play, because they make the weird rear end decision to put the sd card adapter in the game card slot rather than the memory card slot. so it only works on a modded vita thats set up to mount the game card as memory. it's easy though and you should probably be modding your vita anyway

and the psp emulation is perfect

I think it's because the SD card is barely bigger than the Vita memory card. It seems easier to cram it into a Vita Game card shell but of course it needs some extra help to be recognized ie: cfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
By the time I get to Cyberpunk in 2035 it might actually be playable