Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Awesome. One more thing:

As I was waiting for a response, I played a random encounter. Since I haven't beat any NG+ levels yet, I assumed the difficulty would be DotSam--because my understanding is you can only partake in missions you beat, in random encounters.

However, I ended up getting an incense because 'Pictures weren't unlocked' according to the game. Looking up on the wiki, it seems like the idea is I would get a scroll reward for playing online with someone, for that level. Does that mean scrolls can drop on DotSam? Or do I have to do something special first in order to unlock Demon Scrolls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Just finished the last main mission of the last DLC. That guy was rough, felt like I couldn't get out of the way of any attacks and simply won through all my defense magic & elixirs. That DLC had some great environments and some dangerous minibosses.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Morter posted:

Awesome. One more thing:

As I was waiting for a response, I played a random encounter. Since I haven't beat any NG+ levels yet, I assumed the difficulty would be DotSam--because my understanding is you can only partake in missions you beat, in random encounters.

However, I ended up getting an incense because 'Pictures weren't unlocked' according to the game. Looking up on the wiki, it seems like the idea is I would get a scroll reward for playing online with someone, for that level. Does that mean scrolls can drop on DotSam? Or do I have to do something special first in order to unlock Demon Scrolls?

You need to get to DotWise for scrolls to unlock. The guy you were playing with had a scroll that would have been given to you as a random reward, but since you haven't unlocked them you got an incense.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Nah Dream of the Strong starts dropping demon parade scrolls. Each NG cycle after that has a new tier of them.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Oh ya I forgot about demon parade scrolls. I didn't understand them at all back then so I don't think I ever ran any

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Oh okay I realize what it is. It's worded weird but:

I think it's more saying that 'there's no such things as picture scrolls for DotSam', which is where random encounters would take me. Thus, I can't have gotten a scroll for doing the online mission, and it'll give me that trinket instead.

Fair enough, but now I want to go far enough in DotStr go get a demon scroll to begin with.

Also, as someone who generally dislikes souls games and is bad at fighting bosses in almost any game, I just want to post this for posterity as this is a high point for me

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, that's what the game does when you get a scroll for w/e reason in a difficulty that doesn't support it.

I found a weapon with an inheritable Transform Bonus (Con) modifier. What would be a good weapon to compliment a spear (that you wouldn't normally use)?
I've been using a spear almost exclusively since I discovered low stance spear is pretty fun, so I'm not familiar with most of the move-sets/weapons in the game.

Edit: Seems like a sword would be a good choice because it'd replace Heart with Con which will leave Str and Skill, so exactly like a spear. But a single sword sounds boring for some reason. A Kusarigama could also fit.

Edit2: nm, apparently I have some boss skills for the sword, so I'll go with that for a bit.

itry fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 22, 2021

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
True and through for single sword clowns the human enemy ai.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

More games should stop trying and just let the main character be a murder hobo.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

randombattle posted:

More games should stop trying and just let the main character be a murder hobo.

The game you are looking for is Drakengard

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

akkristor posted:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

PSA for anyone playing on PC:

:siren: Lower your frame rate setting to 30 when fighting Lady Osakabe :siren:

I just spent like an entire hour dying to this awful boss over and over, getting comboed from 100% to 0 by lasers and elemental bombs. Looking for tips online between attempts everyone was like "It's not that bad just focus the tentacles" and I'm like holy poo poo am I just absolute trash at this game? I was eventually able to beat it by the skin of my teeth, essentially just cannoning down all the tentacles in the Dark phase to rush to the end.

Afterwards I did some research since the boss seemed like an extremely sharp difficulty spike and not in a good way. Found a reddit post mentioning that the boss seems to attack based on the FPS (wouldn't be the first console port to have weird stuff tied to FPS), so I decided to do a little research. I fired up Cheat Engine for god mode and decided to count how many attacks the boss does in the first minute if I just start the battle and stand there.

Immediatly upon lowering the FPS the difference was obvious. I counted 15 total attacks on 30 FPS and a whopping 27 attacks on 120 FPS. I also noticed that it seems the small tentacles attack at about the same rate, but the overhead ones that do the lasers and big elemental bombs were clearly attacking a poo poo-ton more. I then ran the experiment three times in each setting counting the attacks separately, here are the results.

Attacks in the first minute (Small tentacle/Overhead tentacle):
120 FPS - 12/14, 12/15, 13/14
30 FPS - 11/3, 13/3, 12/3

From these numbers it's pretty clear that the overhead tentacles are essentially attacking 4x as fast at 120 FPS. Their attack pattern is clearly tied 1:1 to the frame rate. It looks more like 5x from the raw data but that's because it seems the overhead tentacles are also programmed to not attack for the first 10~ or so seconds of the fight which is very obvious at 30 FPS. That is shortened to 2.5 seconds for the 4x speed tentacles, so they get an extra 7.5 seconds of attacking in the first minute.

Anyway all this makes the fight insanely harder as lasers and poo poo is constantly raining on you, so do yourself a favor and lower the FPS setting unless you want a (very frustrating) challenge.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The most recent patch (or maybe the one before) allegedly had a fix for that bug included but it's a bummer to know they didn't squash it entirely. This patch really did seem to just make the game way more unstable, I've got no idea what happened but it has now crashed for me too where it wasn't before.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

game runs at 60 on consoles, you probably don't need to drop it all the way down to 30

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea I dropped it down to 60 for that fight and it felt incredibly easy after trying to beat it on 120. Went from near impossible to beating it first try.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ojetor posted:

PSA for anyone playing on PC:

:siren: Lower your frame rate setting to 30 when fighting Lady Osakabe :siren:

Lol that's really really weird, considering not much else in the game seems to work that way. Wonder if it hits people going from 30->60 on PS4-PS5 too?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

goferchan posted:

Lol that's really really weird, considering not much else in the game seems to work that way. Wonder if it hits people going from 30->60 on PS4-PS5 too?

It does not, from what I've seen.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

akkristor posted:

I am the first in line for new Nier/DoD any time any where. Though good gameplay is not what I would go to dod1 for.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I wonder how that framerate thing interacts with multiplayer then. Is is the fps of the host?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Why do none of these open arrow boxes contain any arrows when I roll into them? :arghfist:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
You broke them all when you rolled into it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
It seems like you do tend to get more ammo drops from breaking objects like that, but maybe that's just confirmation bias on my part. What I can say with certainty is that feudal Japan worked off of a pot-based retirement system before they invented banks.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
But regarding arrows, if you just need more you can buy infinite ammo from the blacksmith. I forgot which, but if you click R3 or L3 it switches to buying items directly into your storehouse so you can just buy 1000 or w/e and be set forever.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cinara posted:

But regarding arrows, if you just need more you can buy infinite ammo from the blacksmith. I forgot which, but if you click R3 or L3 it switches to buying items directly into your storehouse so you can just buy 1000 or w/e and be set forever.

:actually:, you can just set them to auto-buy for Salt from the Kodama Bazaar, after which you'll get topped up every time you touch a shrine.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, I have them on auto-buy. It just annoys me every time I see those boxes.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

:actually:, you can just set them to auto-buy for Salt from the Kodama Bazaar, after which you'll get topped up every time you touch a shrine.

Wait what there's auto-buy at the bazaar??

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

Wait what there's auto-buy at the bazaar??

Yes, I used that for ochoko cups early on when I was more dependent on benevolent graves (and not fighting revenants enough)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Speaking of the bazaar I swear that like, the first time I ever looked at it, at the very beginning of the game, there was a (relatively) powerful weapon for sale there that cost way more rice than I could afford. I assumed that would be a regular occurrence but I've never seen anything other than consumable items for sale there since then. Did I dream this? Is it just really rare?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Every now and then the shrine offers random equipment pieces that apparently belonged to other players.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
I think shrines have other player's equipment for sale when it's one that's located in a purged dark area. Like one that was originally unusable.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Just made it into dotn by effectively skipping the the previous two difficulties with the bare minimum of missions done. i leveled up 60 times doing the first mission in dotn.

also im a switchglaive main now. i used to be a kusariguy for a long rear end time but then i got mad. i like chaining the stance switch attacks they're sick.

Zhulik fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 25, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

:aaaaa:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm in Way of the Nioh and I can't seem to get a lvl 190 Kodama or Scampuss core :negative:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Azran posted:

I'm in Way of the Nioh and I can't seem to get a lvl 190 Kodama or Scampuss core :negative:

Do The Search side mission in ch1. Bring a bunch of random soul cores and trade them to the 2-3 sudamas you can hit up quickly. Just be sure to purify any kodama cores you get at the shrine before quitting the mission.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 28, 2021

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Oooh, I forgot about that one! Thanks. :)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It took me a couple attempts but I've fallen rear end deep into Nioh 2 and loving love it. I was having issues getting started, I thought that first level was a real pain in the rear end to beat. Now that I have decent gear and a better handling of the mechanics it's great. I can't wait to see some of the better gear later on, I pretty much have no idea what to expect with regards to endgame gear.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mostly just bigger numbers and getting more bonuses per item. The fun is in working up combinations of all of those bonuses that work for you. So if you've got a fire weapon you like you can do stuff like stacking Burn buildup, general DoT+ to make fire hurt more, specific fire damage+ and bonus melee damage vs Scorched enemies. Lining up bonuses like that from all your weapons and armor, accessories, scrolls and Guardian Spirits and soul cores lets you build up some pretty crazy combinations towards the end of the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

scampuss

https://i.imgur.com/hFher9d.mp4

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Dream of the Nioh is insane. My friend and I popped into the first mission and we got 670 million amrita just from the horse guy alone. I definitely need an upgrade for my gear though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I can't tell you how much this upset me.

:catstare:

https://i.imgur.com/OiLolTM.mp4