Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Should just update normally according to the current tag listings:

Edit: Just checked my server, yeah. Don't need to do anything if you're already using latest. I'm on the new look.

Edit #2: You might have grab a new image with whatever Docker manager you have. I use Unraid with CA plugins that handle updates for me.

Yea, it must have been a somewhat recent release because the normal updating process did the trick, thanks in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
On the machines you guys are running Sonarr/Radarr, what timezone do you use? Your local timezone or something like UTC?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Gyshall posted:

On the machines you guys are running Sonarr/Radarr, what timezone do you use? Your local timezone or something like UTC?

On my Unraid setup it already implants my local timezone in the Docker composition.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Gyshall posted:

My local tz, why would you want to use utc?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I used to have to fake an American timezone with Sickbeard years ago, but since moving to sonarr I found it handled knowing the diff between my timezone and their timezone of where shows were aired just fine.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

gabensraum posted:

I used to have to fake an American timezone with Sickbeard years ago, but since moving to sonarr I found it handled knowing the diff between my timezone and their timezone of where shows were aired just fine.

This, was just curious what other goons were using. Must have kardashian show ASAP after it airs!!!!

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Ha, yeah Sickbeard used to start checking for episodes a day early because I'm a day ahead, and to stop it I set a fake TZ somewhere that sb would read. Was a bit of a hack.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

trying to set up SABnzbd with sonarr
when adding it to sonarr, it asks for an API key - SABnzbd doesn't seem to have an API key anywhere, so i use the one from sonarr
apparently this is the wrong key

there is no other API key, so i have no idea what im meant to put in there

e: nevermind its cool and good and hid the api key balls deep in the loving config file

hbag fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 29, 2021

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

hbag posted:

e: nevermind its cool and good and hid the api key balls deep in the loving config file

The program really should have told you somewhere that you could also find it in Config->General ;)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Fancy_Lad posted:

The program really should have told you somewhere that you could also find it in Config->General ;)

it did - config -> general "of the third party app im using" (sonarr)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

alright well since sabnzbd is cool and good and doesnt loving support SOCKS proxies what else can i use
since my usenet provider isn't accessible from outside so i need to set up an SSH tunnel to access it

and sabnzbd is a little bitch that doesnt like those and DEMANDS i connect directly

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SSH tunnel?

You sure it doesn't just need an SSL connection?

And if not, uh, get a better provider?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Skarsnik posted:

SSH tunnel?

You sure it doesn't just need an SSL connection?

And if not, uh, get a better provider?

my usenet access is via SDF as part of my metaARPA membership
and, no, i do mean SSH tunnel

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

well that sounds like a ball ache

You considered just buying a cheap block instead?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Skarsnik posted:

well that sounds like a ball ache

You considered just buying a cheap block instead?

im paying for enough subscriptions as-is

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hbag posted:

my usenet access is via SDF as part of my metaARPA membership
and, no, i do mean SSH tunnel

Are you sure that even supports binaries, and not just reading and posting text?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

alexandriao posted:

It's weird, Usenet seems to have more stuff that I'm interested in where the torrents are slow/dead/don't exist, but the searchers for torrents seem to be several orders of magnitude better for finding good quality content.

Ok it turns out there's a knack to searching stuff.

Like, searching for something you gotta put a space where there is a dash, etc. also searching for individual episodes yields higher quality results than searching for "720p" or "x264" since a lot of the latter aren't explicitly marked as such.

hbag posted:

alright well since sabnzbd is cool and good and doesnt loving support SOCKS proxies what else can i use
since my usenet provider isn't accessible from outside so i need to set up an SSH tunnel to access it

and sabnzbd is a little bitch that doesnt like those and DEMANDS i connect directly

nzbget is good and you can use it standalone without needing to prop up a server. Also just use socat to route it.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you sure that even supports binaries, and not just reading and posting text?

AFAICT it's just the articles -- they would still need a block account somewhere? Maybe? I doubt SDF is storing terabytes of illegal video files.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

hbag posted:

im paying for enough subscriptions as-is

It'll be an extra step but you can setup STunnel on your machine or another one on your LAN or wherever and then configure it to forward to your usenet server. Then your usenet client will connect to the stunnel computer on the local host or wherever it's hosted on whatever port it's set to and it'll connect out from there. I used it maybe 8 years ago for a project that's long since stopped being needed so I don't have any specific help for you or alternatives that might be newer.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've recently come across a movie with two separate types of releases and I'm wondering what to go with:

WEB-DL HDR 2160p x265 bitrate: 17.9 Mbps
BluRay 1080p AVC REMUX bitrate: 29.0 Mbps

My instinct is the WEB-DL since I was under the impression that x265 is a the more modern codec and thus it manages to get better results out of a lower bitrate. Is that actually true or should I go with the REMUX instead? My TV does support HDR.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Incessant Excess posted:

I've recently come across a movie with two separate types of releases and I'm wondering what to go with:

My instinct is the WEB-DL since I was under the impression that x265 is a the more modern codec and thus it manages to get better results out of a lower bitrate. Is that actually true or should I go with the REMUX instead? My TV does support HDR.

I enjoy 265 and don't notice a performance difference on my cheapish 4k TV with a 4k firestick. The file size being considerably smaller is also nice. I'm sure someone can give a more technical reply than mine though.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Incessant Excess posted:

So there's a lot of variables with an encode that will translate to video quality or not. If you're unlimited on bandwidth, why not download them both and see which one you like more?

That's a ton of bandwidth for a 1080p stream compared to just an average amount of bandwidth for a 4k stream, and (probably) barely enough for a 4k stream with a wider dynamic range.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Note if you're streaming this through Plex: does your TV support direct play? I had to "downgrade" some of my stuff because my TV wouldn't direct play x265 and my server struggled to transcode it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
double post sorry

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 30, 2021

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Yes, I have a decent TV so I generally only download 4K remuxes where available but I've seen this a few times now where the only 4K version of a film is a WEB-DL.

disaster pastor posted:

Note if you're streaming this through Plex: does your TV support direct play?

I'm playing my files directly via Kodi.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

It seems like sometimes the 4K remuxes just don't make it to usenet for whatever reason. Maybe they aren't popular enough for anyone to bother with. If a 4K blu-ray exists, chances are there's a remux for it somewhere. It might be worth checking public trackers if you've got a VPN. I've definitely found remuxes there that I couldn't find on usenet.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

alright well SABnzbd finished downloading a bunch of things but now they're just text files in directories instead of "compiling" into video files
whats up with that

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i switched to another provider, this one does yes

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
It sounds like you may have changed sab to not actually unpack or delete what it downloads (configurable on a per download basis, defaults are in Config->Categories on the processing column), but I wouldn't expect you to see .txt files if this is the case - you would generally have a ton of small archive files (rar, rxx, simply numbered files, or something similar)...

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Or the video files have been automatically moved by Sonarr/Radarr, leaving behind whatever random files were added to the archive.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Fancy_Lad posted:

It sounds like you may have changed sab to not actually unpack or delete what it downloads (configurable on a per download basis, defaults are in Config->Categories on the processing column), but I wouldn't expect you to see .txt files if this is the case - you would generally have a ton of small archive files (rar, rxx, simply numbered files, or something similar)...

i havent touched the settings beyond connecting my usenet provider

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

What do the text files look like? How are they named?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What do the text files look like? How are they named?

[edit: snip]

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hey all. Just a reminder of the rules in the OP of this thread. Bolded the part I think folks might be crossing the line on.

quote:

Don't talk about the specific contents of specific newsgroups.
Don't talk about things you want to download from Usenet, things you've already downloaded from Usenet, or ask for help with utilizing things you've downloaded from Usenet.
Don't post direct links to NZBs, collections of NZBs, or Newzbin reports of copyrighted material.
Don't post screenshots or logs that haven't been sanitized. Black bars, use them.
Don't request invites to any invite-only sites. (modnote)

I don't follow this thread, so apologies if I'm Kramering in and upsetting the balance or anything. Please feel free to PM me or report this post if you need me. Otherwise, if you've got thoughts on how this thread should be run please post them here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

Thank you!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

That's an obfuscated post, the files with the hexadecimal names are your RARs. The PAR stage should normally figure this out, but sometimes it doesn't for reasons.

Edit: There doesn't seem to be a PAR2 file there so that'll be your problem.

I haven't used SAB in a while but if it was only told to Download and not to Repair/Extract I think it might end up doing this. Or it could just be a broken NZB that doesn't have the PAR files.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 31, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

wolrah posted:

That's an obfuscated post, the files with the hexadecimal names are your RARs. The PAR stage should normally figure this out, but sometimes it doesn't for reasons.

Edit: There doesn't seem to be a PAR2 file there so that'll be your problem.

I haven't used SAB in a while but if it was only told to Download and not to Repair/Extract I think it might end up doing this. Or it could just be a broken NZB that doesn't have the PAR files.

Well, I have no idea how to fix this. Someone on Reddit said I need to get postprocessing to "Delete+", but it already was, so...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

hbag posted:

Well, I have no idea how to fix this. Someone on Reddit said I need to get postprocessing to "Delete+", but it already was, so...

If you know where the NZB came from, look at its file listing on the indexer and see if it has PAR files included. If it doesn't, it's just a bad NZB and you should go look for a different one (possibly for the same post of the same files even) which does list them.

If it does list them, then something went wrong on your side and if you are sure that it was set to run the full postprocessing then you'll need to dig in to the SAB log files to figure out anything more.

Those logs will contain a lot of file and post names, so as noted above do not post them here.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

wolrah posted:

If you know where the NZB came from, look at its file listing on the indexer and see if it has PAR files included. If it doesn't, it's just a bad NZB and you should go look for a different one (possibly for the same post of the same files even) which does list them.

If it does list them, then something went wrong on your side and if you are sure that it was set to run the full postprocessing then you'll need to dig in to the SAB log files to figure out anything more.

Those logs will contain a lot of file and post names, so as noted above do not post them here.

It has ".par2" files and ".rar" files, which seem normal.

Violator
May 15, 2003

wolrah posted:

Something I’ve always wondered is how personal are the NZB files? Do they contain any details about the indexer, indexer user account, etc? I’ve always assumed they are basically nameless and generic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hbag posted:

I didn't get a chance to see what the files are, but did you try unpacking the main archive file (either .rar or .part01 usually, or something similar) and seeing if it works?