Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 18, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Jun. 18, 1944)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

The Medieval Castle (Jun. 18, 1944)

Yo, this comic rules.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Bogor

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Haifisch posted:

From what I've heard about these types of jobs, I was half expecting a 'well sorry, you can't take random breaks unless you're actually smoking, company policy, deal with it'.

(of course the ideal solution would be more breaks for everyone instead of either having non-smokers get fewer breaks or everyone losing out)

I know people who took up smoking in the Navy for exactly this reason, because smokers would get smoke breaks and you couldn't have smoke breaks unless you actually smoked.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, The Red Knight, and a few others I saw looking through and was amused by Oct. 9th, 1940

Holy poo poo Jenny.

I don't know what the gently caress is going on here but it makes me think of a Charles Addams cartoon.

Axa

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Look at that: pockets right on the shins of her pants. Amazing

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MariusLecter posted:

There are times when True beats the life out of men who hit their kids, discriminate against immigrants and even police, then there are times when he visits violence on anti war activists and commits to memory the names of I.W.W. members.
I think the gag in this one was that the man isn't an IWW member, that's just his initials.

... and that True would've been about to do very bad things to him if he was a member.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (August 31, 1933)

Peanuts (April 4, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 28, 1937)

Out Our Way (May 7-9, 1936; spoiler for another Ick punchline)

Toonerville Folks (May 31-June 2, 1917)

Click here to see part 1 of what the Seattle Times did on Dok's Duck's summer 1913 vacation.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Their intentions are pleasingly murderous! Oh those scamps!

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.

As if poor Eve hasn't had a hard enough life, now her therapist is a zombie!

Seriously, is that supposed to be a skin tone? What the hell?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Some Guy TT posted:

Going by the timing of when Slammy left it's possible he was discouraged by the fact that Everett True was entering the gross phase. Now he posts Those Were The Days, welcoming our hatred.

It's possible I stopped posting about that time, but it's not why I stopped posting.
Condo was drafted in 1917 and served into 1918 - maybe that influenced his writing?
Today's True is a palate cleanser.

I like to search through old papers and look for new strips, and most are boring and forgettable, but Those Were The Days is so impressively bad, I couldn't not post it.
It was syndicated through Al Smith's service. They also include Off Main Street, which isn't really bad or really good, but the art creeps me out.

Off Main Street July 12, 1951

And He Did! (April 16, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 1, 1918)

Banana Oil! (January 19, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (May 10, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 10, 1935)

Dark Laughter (May 22, 1943)

Mopsy Sunday (May 16 , 1948)

Those Were the Days (June 12, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (July 1, 1965)

Wee Pals (July 1, 1965)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (June 12, 1952)

Is this the first time we've had direct continuity from one panel to the next? This one's not terrible.

Also glad to see a palette cleanser True, the War Years were not great. First time we hit the War Years, I thought it came up that Condo was very German and that might have had something to do with the hard patriotic shift? It's been a while since we were last here.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

OMG the dog plot in Mary Worth is STILL HAPPENING

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics
Gotta admit, Encyclopedia Brown is massively excessing all of my expectations so far.

I know I read some Encyclopedia Brown as a kid, but I don't really remember any of the stories. I'm enjoying reading the adventures of these weird children.

It doesn't matter. It's a pirate themed event, so she won't pay you unless you only serve her grog anyway.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

"It's a really stressful job so actually it's not doing him a favor to give it to him" is a really lovely defense for nepotism.

catlord posted:

First time we hit the War Years, I thought it came up that Condo was very German and that might have had something to do with the hard patriotic shift? It's been a while since we were last here.

I think I remember hearing that too. According to Wikipedia Condo was born in Illinois, but he did do a strip called "Osgar und Adolf" at one point.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Did, uh, that hippie roommate in Luann get a few shades lighter or are my eyes going?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Cowslips Warren posted:

Did, uh, that hippie roommate in Luann get a few shades lighter or are my eyes going?
I thiiiink Dez has always been relatively light-skinned but olive-toned.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Aug 8, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 11-12, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

(Nov 6, 2019)

(Nov 8, 2019)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Twelve by Pies posted:

"It's a really stressful job so actually it's not doing him a favor to give it to him" is a really lovely defense for nepotism.

Yea I feel like once every two weeks I just say "ah gently caress you" outloud to one of Holbrook's comics and this was it for this week~

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

:vince:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Classic K&K is giving me insight into a past when Holbrook only had to keep one strip’s worth of convoluted plots together and that strip at least could be neutrally palatable as a result.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I see Pertti Jarla of Fingerpori is familiar with Teslas.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Kazinsal posted:

Classic K&K is giving me insight into a past when Holbrook only had to keep one strip’s worth of convoluted plots together and that strip at least could be neutrally palatable as a result.

Surprise! Kevin and Kell is Holbrook's third strip. He'd already been doing On the Fastrack and Safe Havens for years when he started it. Really makes you wish for the sweet embrace of death, doesn't it?

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
It's impressive output, but it's no surprise he doesn't bother actually thinking anything through. I doubt he's considered any of the implications that people keep bringing up.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Speaking of which!

Classic Kevin & Kell (June 12-16, 2000)

The koala would be Steve Irwin, of course; this was a full six years before his untimely death.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The Conscientious Moomins

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

SubNat posted:

The Conscientious Gay as all-hell Moomins

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/29/01

And yeah, Austin Powers jokes were already old in 2001.

Brenda Starr 3/4-6/46

Smokey Stover 3/31/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 22, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 22, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 22, 1989)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That is one synthwave-rear end Garfield

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946 gets political

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "4 - Jucika on a Diet."

[X] I'm in this picture and I don't like it.

"Jucika and the Cat-caller."

"Books" in panel 2 on the sign, "Judo" in panel 3 on the book. "Aszfaltbetyár" literally translates to "Asphalt rascal." Translation is provided at lightning speed on every tweet at JucikaDaily by Cynderspark.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 30, 2021

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Slammy posted:

I like to search through old papers and look for new strips, and most are boring and forgettable, but Those Were The Days is so impressively bad, I couldn't not post it.
It was syndicated through Al Smith's service. They also include Off Main Street, which isn't really bad or really good, but the art creeps me out.

Off Main Street July 12, 1951

It's pretty cute how proud the artist is of how they can draw profiles.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Aug 9, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 13-14, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

(Nov 11, 2019)

(Jan 6, 2020)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Aug 9, 1952)

How on earth is he whistling chords??

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

ikanreed posted:

How on earth is he whistling chords??

schroeder is an accomplished throat singer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits