Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I don't think slam down spreadies are proper yoga form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Mr. Squishy posted:

DDP is a yoga... Nice guy. Can't think of the opposite of a monster

Yoga Hero

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Alaois posted:

these Rising Star profiles are really good

Acknowledging the human desires and motivations of your wrestlers shouldn’t feel like a novel approach to getting someone over, but here we are.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I really like watching both sydals in the ring, and appreciate darks for giving them space to wrestle without having to do promos

smikey
May 22, 2004
Paul completely has the Sydal's ages wrong. Matt is the older brother, Mike the younger.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

smikey posted:

Paul completely has the Sydal's ages wrong. Matt is the older brother, Mike the younger.

honestly if i were just looking at the two of them

i would also make that mistake

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

nice backbreaker

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Mike Sydal: astonishingly compelling

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Mike sydal, sonny kiss, red velvet in a"can do the splits" intergender trios team

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

This is a solid match

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
gently caress that spear on the knee looked brutal

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

THE SHOOTER

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

What a dick

smikey
May 22, 2004
C'mon Sky, if you're gonna use a submission, it's gotta be the Scorpion Deathlock

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
AEW needs to slow it down with all these post match run in attacks.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

oh, ethan meant he would team up with sky.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm kind of intrigued by this pairing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

what is this Macedonian bit

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

What were momma and poppa sydal thinking when they named their kids so similarly

smikey
May 22, 2004
macedonia's not even near spain paul!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I kind of dig Ethan Page's in-ring style being "Honey, I Modestly Shrunk The Hoss"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

What were momma and poppa sydal thinking when they named their kids so similarly

They weren't sure which name to go for at first, and then Mike was born so they got to use both

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

good show

didnt expect sky and ethan page to team up

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Man, AEW is a lot of fun

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Alaois posted:

what is this Macedonian bit

I guess page mentioned it and it lodged into Paul's brain hard

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Page and Sky as a dickhead team is probably a good call, gives Page something to do to establish himself and breaks Sky away from SCU

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

SEGA rear end Fisting posted:

Man, AEW is a lot of fun

smikey
May 22, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't know let me ask mine, but it was probably just being midwest christians having kids in the 80s

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

I guess page mentioned it and it lodged into Paul's brain hard

It wouldn't be as weird if he went by his real name, Julian Micevski, but Paul constantly making Macedonian references about a guy named Ethan Page is just odd

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Alaois posted:

It wouldn't be as weird if he went by his real name, Julian Micevski, but Paul constantly making Macedonian references about a guy named Ethan Page is just odd

PAUL: Look at that pronounced Macedonian brain pan Tony
TONY: What.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Alaois posted:

"Huh, what sort of a name is Micevski"
"It's Macedonian actually..."
Paul runs off immediately to print out the Wikipedia page for Alexander the Great

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

can't believe Tall Paul is an Antiquisationist

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just started catching up and omg WHERE IS MY MIND

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm glad that noted Rising Star and young go-getter Billy Gunn is in the Elevation intro.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Elevated Darkthoughts

Nine billion matches on the card tonight.

Mox promo to start. Pretty good standing start promo.

And titles! A pretty good start sequence honestly.

1) JD Drake and the Hollywood Honk vs Dustin and OC. And Where Is My Mind works perfectly for Orange, honestly. And good job to tall paul for selling it. Toney trying to explain why Best Friends and Miro have beef. "He's known as the, uh..." implies he's not known as that, Paul. Anyway, this is a fun tag that needs more of an audience. Loved the elbow and head drop combo. I continue to love JD Drake as a bruiser. Between them Drake and Honk average out to having an appropriate amount of spray tan. This was a fun active opener, I could definitely stand to see more Drake / Honk.

Miro is getting really fun as a bully towards his friends. And of course his enemies. I enjoyed the fakeout.

2) Bill Collier vs Jon Moxley. Bill Collier has a HELL of a look. Dude is put together and looks ready for business. Just hoping the dude can work after this. I like Mox's new gear. Nice chain stuff to start. Sweet dropkick from Collier. This isn't the fastest match but it's pretty enjoyable, and Collier kicking out of the piledriver was nice.

3) Penelope Ford vs Lyla Grey. Grey has a good looks and some okay offense but needs a heck of a lot of seasoning. Not much to say about this one, other than that it feels like the women's division is further on than this now.

4) Rex Lawless and Milk Chocolate vs Large Adult Gunns. I like the dude from Milk Chocolate mocking smallest adult Gunn. Summers clearly has some chops. Austin is a good hurt sponge, because there is no sense in which you mind seeing him get beaten up. lawless looks better in the singlet, it makes his beefy wideness seen more like an amateur wrestler's build than him looking like a door in jeans. Not much to this match, but you could bring Milk Chocolate back and give them matches against a few more guys and I'd be fine with that.

Thunder Rosa promo. Very babyface, which is fun. Sets up Gracia match for later as having stakes, which is nice. Ooh, and we get Diamante. "Technically, you don't even go here" is GOOD poo poo. I am absolutely here for this. Are they storifying the Ivelisse / Rosa beef but with the less problematic Sicaria?

5) Joey Janela vs Chandler Hopkins. Cowboy hat, big yeehaw. Like the look of Hopkins. He's not bad and some of his strikes have a nice element of reality to them, but his stuff isn't that fluid yet. His frog splash was good. Yet another AEW Shooting Star Press that doesn't come close to landing. Not a bad match, but Hopkins has some way to go to live up to his potential.

Catty Angelico, I'm here for it. Evans continues cutting the promo that was already running in his head.

6) Alex Gracia vs Thunder Rosa. Very much a student / teacher match. Rosa knows what Gracia does well and finds ways to work it in. As a result Gracia looks pretty good here before the inevitable - and perfectly well performed - conclusion.

7) Legit Leyla Hirsch vs Vipress. Leyla just power walks in there, captures a leg and starts stretching. She and Vipress take a minute to get on the same page. This gets some good back and stuff in once they've worked out how to work together, and Leyla is getting so fluid at locking in the arm breaker.

8) Danny Limelight vs Frankie Kazarian. Fun. Lots of good technical stuff from two very talented guys here. They really are taking a serious look at Limelight here, and with good reason, he's got really solid skills. But then we've largely seen him facing really good guys. Big fan of Kaz ending with a crossface chicken wing.

9) Ethan Page vs Fuego. This match is fine. Fuego does a good job, Ethan works well with him, but I'm not seeing what's special about All Ego yet.

10) Tay Conti and Hikaru Shida vs Tesha Price and Jazmin Allure. Kind a matching gear both sides. Tesha has some nice looking offense. Love the stereo Tay / Shida stuff. Welp, this was over fast.

11) Jungle Boy vs Jack Evans. This is the good poo poo. Evans is an angry flippy dirtbag and he brings it to Jungle Boy in all sorts of fun ways. Everything Jungle Boy does looks great. Everything. Especially the snare trap which is a really superb finisher.

12) QT Marshall and Lee Johnson vs Adam Priest and Aaron Frye. Expecting fuckery here. Okay match, but short, and the point was the tag steal, which looked good.

13) KiLynn King vs Ryo Mizunami. New music for KiLynn? Aniki looking loving great out there. Picking up Bryce was awesome. This is a solid match. I'd really love to see King do a tour with someone like Marvelous, get some experience under her belt in hard hitting matches in small venues. However she and Ryo match really well for an intentional mismatch. Lots of comedy, lots of character. KiLynn is finally laying in those strikes and it looks great. Ryo just has so much swagger. She works hard, she wrestles great, and all the time she's doing so she's projecting character. Both a great performer to have on your card, and a great wrestler to have working with your young prospects. You couldn't help but get better working with her. King is figuring out how to be a power wrestler here, while exerting character of her own. The chop exchange was amazingly good. This match was loving awesome and I would LOVE these two to tag.

14) 5 and 10 vs Vary Morales and Rome Hat. I do love the five and dime team. Power and speed and a lot of good work together. They're resolutely the third team of Dark Order but I don't mind that at all. Rome Hat is super good fun and Morales has potential in a small venue lucha way. We'll have to see if that translates to something bigger. Jesus, that 10 ragdoll full nelson is vicious, he's like a dog shaking a rabbit.

Like the Bear Country video package

15) Bear Country vs Private Party this is an awesome matchup, let's see if it becomes an awesome match. I enjoy agility meeting strength here, Kassidy and Quen are so fast, but it's not like the bears are slow either. I love that Kassidy screams when he sells. Holy poo poo, Bear Boulder catching Quen in the cross body with Kassidy over his shoulders was utterly astonishing. Private party hit a desperation tight-grab rollup, they really sold this as an either-way deal. Very good match.

Post-match we get set up for Bear Country vs Jurassic Express. This could be great.

16) Scorpio Sky vs Mike Sydal. Mike comes out to his brother's music. Bet he feels great about that. This is solidly athletic and well wrestled. Sky is shading more heelish which is good. I'd like to see Sky work a solid program against someone as build up for an inevitable match against Kazarian or Daniels. Which is not to look past Mike, who is doing a very solid job here. Fan of selling serious business submissions

Ooh, and we get Ethan Page beating down Matt Sydal post-match. I'd watch that tag, and watch the Page / Matt singles that would follow.

Not a bad show overall, with a few filler matches and a few really excellent matches. I still want them to pare the format down a bit. 90 minutes would work.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just started watching Elevation. Orange Cassidy's new theme song holy fucccccccccccck

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Tay, Ryo and Kilynn all do what Shida does best, which is "laying your poo poo in there" w/r/t offense, and I hope it spreads like wildfire around the division, because it's usually that missing component to a women's match to really make it standout along with the storytelling and character work. you're gonna be in a bit more pain at the end of the match, but it'll look ten times better

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Chandler Hopkins should just steal Orville Peck's gimmick

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lamuella posted:

Catty Angelico, I'm here for it. Evans continues cutting the promo that was already running in his head.
I really hope they give TH2 more to do on Dynamite because they're both great talents, and the character work is cracking me up lately. Dirtbag Jack is great, and Angelico doing his jerky little dance makes me laugh for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

that Bear Country catch on Private Party, holy poo poo.