Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

MRC48B posted:

actual good screw and nut drivers have flats/a hex area on the shaft to do this with. and a metal strike cap on the back.

I love my Weras. Best screwdrivers I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Aint stupid if it works

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Edit: Aww poo poo, this isn't chat thread with recent MR2 context. Oh well, perfect meme pairing.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 29, 2021

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1376379324291485697

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That is way faster than I was expecting.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I think it's partially refloated, which, as pointed out in another thread, means it's also partially stuck, and until it's completely unstuck, the canal is still blocked. It's progress, but it's not out of the woods yet.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Memento posted:

I think it's partially refloated, which, as pointed out in another thread, means it's also partially stuck, and until it's completely unstuck, the canal is still blocked. It's progress, but it's not out of the woods yet.

yeah i think you are right, AIS isn't showing enough movement in my opinion.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Head of the Dutch salvage company saying "the easiest part" is done.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mickbk/status/1376439470568964099

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Memento posted:

Head of the Dutch salvage company saying "the easiest part" is done.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mickbk/status/1376439470568964099

I feel like I’m missing something? If the back moves the front has to move too, doesn’t it? Either by way of wiggling in the clay or by bending/breaking itself in the not-stuck portions?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

builds character posted:

I feel like I’m missing something? If the back moves the front has to move too, doesn’t it? Either by way of wiggling in the clay or by bending/breaking itself in the not-stuck portions?

It can pivot on the clay but not slide off the clay.

Long lever action helping with the pivot but not with the slide.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

meltie posted:

Oh, that does make sense. Thanks!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
That bulbous bow is going to be a huge problem and yes, assuming they've gotten the plant back online, made the job of freeing the stern *substantially* easier.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

meltie posted:

According to AIS they've got it off and its course is now aligned with the canal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Indeed. Don't see it reported yet though.

e: Several tweets now confirming is underway.
https://istheshipstillstuck.com/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 29, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I guess the hard part was actually the easy part

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Data Graham posted:

I guess the hard part was actually the easy part

No, the hard part was still the hard part. Experts with good tools and experience make it look easy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

No, the hard part was still the hard part. Experts with good tools and experience make it look easy.

Did they actually do anything or is that how I troubleshoot computers, just showing up is enough to get it working properly?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I'm sure I've said it before, if not here then many times elsewhere, but this is like when you're watching a youtube tutorial and they say "one smooth motion" and right then you know you're absolutely hosed and it will not be one or smooth or even anything approximating motion.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

builds character posted:

I'm sure I've said it before, if not here then many times elsewhere, but this is like when you're watching a youtube tutorial and they say "one smooth motion" and right then you know you're absolutely hosed and it will not be one or smooth or even anything approximating motion.

"A quick blast of WD40 should loosen it up if it's stuck..."

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm surprised no one has suggested the use of a BFH yet, that would be sure to get it out :colbert:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm surprised no one has suggested the use of a BFH yet, that would be sure to get it out :colbert:

A big enough one would have.
Just like a long enough lever will move the Earth.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mobby_6kl posted:

Did they actually do anything or is that how I troubleshoot computers, just showing up is enough to get it working properly?

They got help from upstairs.

They couldn’t have done it without the full Moon passing overhead and pulling in the tide.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah "one smooth motion" makes me remember almost dropping windshields in the wrong spot on 14 linear feet of urethane adhesive and accidentally getting bearings I was trying to thermal shrink fit onto shafts infinitesimally sideways at just the wrong moment, hearing the creak of them equalizing temp and realizing they are too far on for my puller and not far enough on to fit in the press and now I'm hosed.

(This is why I bought a hydraulic press. My baby arbor press and heat/cold tricks left me high and dry one time too many... Much like that ship actually.)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
This popped up on my fakebook feed.
Don't know anything about it except I don't think its supposed to do that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Yeah "one smooth motion" makes me remember almost dropping windshields in the wrong spot on 14 linear feet of urethane adhesive and accidentally getting bearings I was trying to thermal shrink fit onto shafts infinitesimally sideways at just the wrong moment, hearing the creak of them equalizing temp and realizing they are too far on for my puller and not far enough on to fit in the press and now I'm hosed.

(This is why I bought a hydraulic press. My baby arbor press and heat/cold tricks left me high and dry one time too many... Much like that ship actually.)

Goddamn I ain't never seen a windshield with bearings before.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wesleywillis posted:

This popped up on my fakebook feed.
Don't know anything about it except I don't think its supposed to do that.

Classic mistake, you can only go clockwise 16 times before they unscrew, you need to make sure you're throwing in a few counter-clockwise rotations in the mix as well.

Lots of people think it's the other way around but those things use a left-hand thread.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Memento posted:

Classic mistake, you can only go clockwise 16 times before they unscrew, you need to make sure you're throwing in a few counter-clockwise rotations in the mix as well.

Lots of people think it's the other way around but those things use a left-hand thread.

What if you go counter clockwise 17 times? Do you get stuck?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
All joking aside, I've always wondered how the hell the track drives go through the pivoting base without everything getting crossed up, or the torque that's supposed to run the tracks spinning the turret instead. I guess now is when I go read about it.

StormDrain posted:

Just wait till you see how I install windshields with a hydraulic press

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 30, 2021

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Hydraulic motors, I thought.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

StormDrain posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_view_screen

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

MRC48B posted:

Hydraulic motors, I thought.

Yeah, you're correct. And a big multi channel hydraulic swivel union in the middle of the thing. I don't know why I didn't expect that, somehow I was picturing driveshafts and poo poo going through there even though I know the controls are hydraulic.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

kastein posted:

Yeah, you're correct. And a big multi channel hydraulic swivel union in the middle of the thing. I don't know why I didn't expect that, somehow I was picturing driveshafts and poo poo going through there even though I know the controls are hydraulic.

Now I'm just picturing an excavator designed by Germans and the untold overly complicated mechanical horrors, like a universally jointed driveshaft, it would entail.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Liebherr seem to make good machines tho?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Arrath posted:

Now I'm just picturing an excavator designed by Germans and the untold overly complicated mechanical horrors, like a universally jointed driveshaft, it would entail.

Two opposed, stepped, conical pyramids made up of nested drive shafts, connected with drive chains, geared so the top one turns at the right speed to stand still relative to the bottom one when you rotate the top section.

... could that be made to work? I mean, it shouldn't, but could you?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

We made this into a successful product so of course.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Following a long German tradition of making your military gear (and gearboxes) as complicated as possible, I see.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Combat Theory posted:

We made this into a successful product so of course.

What in the making GBS threads gently caress

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

kastein posted:

What in the making GBS threads gently caress

Hydraulic drive, gearbox, differential and brake unit from a Leopard 2, I believe.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, I googled the model number and I guess it fits a bunch of euro tanks. I guess that makes sense but... Um... Holy gently caress that's complicated. How does the red shaft get put into the hollow blue shaft? It's larger on both ends and I don't see any joints shown in the cross section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It reminds me of the FD RX7 rats nest and not in a good way