Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

flavor.flv posted:

They can't put "Super Mario Bros" on there, that would be copyright infringement

Yeah but that chicken 100% does crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Got a PiBoy today! Here it is next to my hacked Vita. I have a lot of messing around with it still to go, and I'm going to see if I want to ditch Retropie entirely for a Retroarch install but I suspect I'll need to mess with it a ton. It'd be awesome to get Lakka on it though.

There's a lot to like here. Actual slider for volume and brightness, Ethernet port, HDMI out. I'm estimating between 3-4 hours of run time on the battery, but you can easily plugin a battery pack.

Emulation has been great so far with everything I've tossed at it. It does run warm and it's weird hearing a fan kick on playing NBA Jam. But so far I am in love.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lockback posted:

Got a PiBoy today! Here it is next to my hacked Vita. I have a lot of messing around with it still to go, and I'm going to see if I want to ditch Retropie entirely for a Retroarch install but I suspect I'll need to mess with it a ton. It'd be awesome to get Lakka on it though.

There's a lot to like here. Actual slider for volume and brightness, Ethernet port, HDMI out. I'm estimating between 3-4 hours of run time on the battery, but you can easily plugin a battery pack.

Emulation has been great so far with everything I've tossed at it. It does run warm and it's weird hearing a fan kick on playing NBA Jam. But so far I am in love.

How much was it?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Lockback posted:

Got a PiBoy today! Here it is next to my hacked Vita.

Sorry to derail a bit, but can I ask what resources you used for Vita hacking? I've got one sitting in my basement collecting dust right now. I've already ordered an RG351V, but no reason not to make this thing useful also I guess.

Tried searching these forums, just ended up finding someone complaining about poor snes support on Vita followed by MarcusSA's link back here, heh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

zzMisc posted:

Sorry to derail a bit, but can I ask what resources you used for Vita hacking? I've got one sitting in my basement collecting dust right now. I've already ordered an RG351V, but no reason not to make this thing useful also I guess.

Tried searching these forums, just ended up finding someone complaining about poor snes support on Vita followed by MarcusSA's link back here, heh.

Here you go

https://vita.hacks.guide/get-started

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
what all can vita run, does it run PS1 games full speed like the PSP did?

(I know it's more powerful but the PSP had like a special chip to run stuff natively right)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MarcusSA posted:

How much was it?

Got it used off ebay but its in great condition. I snagged it for a little over 200. It "only" has a RPI 2GB, but I'm not sure what emulator needs more than that, and I have an RPI4GB I can swap in if I decide to.

I was going to get the kit but new everything was $170 shipped WITHOUT a Pi, so this made more sense.

zzMisc posted:

Follow what Marcus posted, don't update the firmware when you pull it out of the basement. A SD2Vita is pretty awesome and the guide above walks you through that too so you can use an SD Card instead of the dumb Sony memory stick.

As a retro machine the Vita is ok, but struggles on anything higher than PSX and even SNES Mode7 can cause issues. However, it'll play PSP natively, and its the most trivial thing in the world to access its software. It's a really underrated piece of hardware and a lot of fun to hack.

Stefan Prodan posted:

(I know it's more powerful but the PSP had like a special chip to run stuff natively right)

You can pull up a PSP mode in the Vita to get that using Adrenaline. It's a great machine for PSX.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stefan Prodan posted:

PS1 works great on Vita, plus the second analog stick gives you more control mapping options

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So there is zero onboard storage on the 351V, correct? Like if I wanted to copy my exact setup, settings and library for a friend all I’d have to do is clone both microSD cards, right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

So there is zero onboard storage on the 351V, correct? Like if I wanted to copy my exact setup, settings and library for a friend all I’d have to do is clone both microSD cards, right?

AFAIK yes.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok cool, I'll report back when I confirm it works. At the very least it would mean easy system-wide backing up to PC, which is a nice feature to have when tweaking (and breaking) RetroArch.

Also, here's a useful video on optimizing aspect ratios, scaling, emulators and tweaks for the 351V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBViyIg4mMk&t=852s

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Rolo posted:

Ok cool, I'll report back when I confirm it works. At the very least it would mean easy system-wide backing up to PC, which is a nice feature to have when tweaking (and breaking) RetroArch.

Also, here's a useful video on optimizing aspect ratios, scaling, emulators and tweaks for the 351V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBViyIg4mMk&t=852s

This video is really helpful, thanks! I just need to watch the entire thing and see if it explains how to properly make it so each system loads a unique config file, or if I have to do it manually when I swap to a system that I want to use a different config. Retroarch continues to not be my friend :D.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Agrias120 posted:

This video is really helpful, thanks! I just need to watch the entire thing and see if it explains how to properly make it so each system loads a unique config file, or if I have to do it manually when I swap to a system that I want to use a different config. Retroarch continues to not be my friend :D.

for that you want the "override" settings. you can save config files for all games using that core, all games stored in that folder (useful if you use one core for multiple systems, like genplusgx for genesis & game gear), or only the current game. in arkos on the 351m the override settings are in the retroarch quick menu but it might be elsewhere on the 351v. apparently you can also set this stuff from the emulationstation main menu but i haven't tried that

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Weedle posted:

for that you want the "override" settings. you can save config files for all games using that core, all games stored in that folder (useful if you use one core for multiple systems, like genplusgx for genesis & game gear), or only the current game. in arkos on the 351m the override settings are in the retroarch quick menu but it might be elsewhere on the 351v. apparently you can also set this stuff from the emulationstation main menu but i haven't tried that

Yep. He goes over how to do it in the video, too. You can set console and game specific settings in the EmulationStation menu or override settings for specific cores in RetroArch.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
I just got my 351v today and I've been playing the games on the SD Card it came with and its surprisingly good for what it is! The screen on this thing is really nice and I plan on playing a lot of GBA games on it.

I'm guessing these things don't have a proper suspend feature right? If I want to turn it off, I have to actually quit out of the game and then quit EmuElec?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it seems powkiddy has an rk3326-powered "rgb10 max" in the works. looks a lot like the anbernic 351p but with a 5" widescreen display, probably the same as the odroid go super (800x480). hopefully the build quality and controls are closer to the 351 than the odroid

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
lol that Odroid made a Super model and now everyone is going to make ripoffs of it since firmware now exists for the 480p widescreen that they can just pirate

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Weedle posted:

it seems powkiddy has an rk3326-powered "rgb10 max" in the works. looks a lot like the anbernic 351p but with a 5" widescreen display, probably the same as the odroid go super (800x480). hopefully the build quality and controls are closer to the 351 than the odroid

gently caress, I was just about to finally stop hemming and hawing and pull the trigger on a 351v.... Guess I gotta wait till the reviews are in re: those things you mentioned.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If that powkiddy thing is any good I might actually pick it up, I like the look and the bigger screen seems nice

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Teketeketeketeke posted:

gently caress, I was just about to finally stop hemming and hawing and pull the trigger on a 351v.... Guess I gotta wait till the reviews are in re: those things you mentioned.

Yeah I dunno. I’m not sold on it. I’m definitely holding off for reviews.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

powkiddy is really hit or miss from what i've seen

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Never be the first to buy anything PowKiddy

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you're gonna wait I'd just wait for the next Anbernic thing

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

bowmore posted:

I’m definitely an Anbernic fan after the 351V. If they keep updating their systems while keeping the dual SD setup I’ll keep upgrading.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

bowmore posted:

Yeah, as long as they go back to a horizontal form factor (without lovely low-res screen) next...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bowmore posted:

yeah i figure sooner or later they have to do an rk3326 device with dual analogs and a 640x480 display. when they do i’ll buy one and sell my 350m and 351m. super impressed with both of those devices given the price, but they’re also both like 90% perfect

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Just saw this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1377375231296200704

Delayed until October

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

zzMisc posted:

Fast Forward, Rewind, Save state, Load state, State+/-, Menu..

There's hot keys for a lot of that in 351Elec, I know save state is R1+select, and load state is L1+select.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

rockinricky posted:

Just saw this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1377375231296200704

Delayed until October

Lmao, the entitled replies to this are insane. Gamers are the absolute worst. You'll all get you premium Gameboy FPGA reproduction eventually, you'll just have to wait a little bit longer!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

boat meme and electronics scalper meme are fun to laugh at until they affect me!! :mad:

i feel bad for any small scale electronics company trying to make things work right now

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Declan MacManus posted:

boat meme and electronics scalper meme are fun to laugh at until they affect me!! :mad:

i feel bad for any small scale electronics company trying to make things work right now

Yeah, I work in a cell phone repair store, and apparently one of the components that's in short supply is used in iPhone XR & 11 screens, because those are currently super hard to get.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Why would you want to build a rebreather to save someone's life if they don't have a handheld to play Doki Doki Panic?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I didn’t realize that Analogue system was so popular. It looks cool but cartridges? Pass.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

I didn’t realize that Analogue system was so popular. It looks cool but cartridges? Pass.

It can use SD cards too.

It’s a very unique device with exceptional built quality.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

Well it's not really attempting to do the same thing as other retro handhelds. Analogue systems use an FPGA to recreate the hardware as accurately as possible, giving a way more accurate experience to the original consoles. Also every previous console they've released has gotten an unofficial jailbreak firmware letting you just run roms from an SD card so this one probably will too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

It can use SD cards too.

Oh there goes my main gripe. I think I’m confusing it with another system.

MarcusSA posted:

It’s a very unique device with exceptional built quality.

Cant argue that, and the marketing on the website is top notch. I don’t mind being a patient adult for toys but if I was a teenager again I’d probably be foaming at the mouth for one.

Also they have my exact PO-20 Arcade synth on their site interfacing with it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Analogue devices are too pricy for me and I generally like playing on OG hardware but they're really cool

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Also instead of the usual 320x240 or 640x480 3.5" LCD screen, it has an insane 1600x1440 resolution so that any system can look good with even multiple scaling and it can even do fancy stuff like simulate LCD grid patterns.

The price is extremely high but that screen is what you're paying for.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I bought one and can wait, but it was originally planned for September 2020, delayed to May 2021 without much explanation and now delayed until October.

They’ve already been paid by everyone, I get why people would gripe. Personally I just wish they’d communicate a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

One of the main cool things about the Analogue system is that it uses hardware level emulation instead of software based