Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

nachos posted:

Who is the audience for this. There are already 5467825 ways to buy doom

Limited Run fans. The company offers some fun collectibles but the downside is that they prey on FOMO and when you do order your product it costs like 2-3x the retail cost of the game naturally and you won't see it in your hands until 9 months after ordering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kevyn posted:

The audience is the people who would buy a disc with 32 gigs of hello.jpg on it as long as it was sold by Limited Run Games.

This is Bethesda though, so it will be a 2gb cart with an additional 4-6gb download for Doom 3.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cainer posted:

drat, I'll probably pick it up on another system then.
I meant the game, but yes the port isn't great either

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I wonder why it doesn’t include Doom 64.

Everybody should pay full price for that game at all times because it’s so amazing. It should cost $49.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I skipped forward two pages to say I want an open world Wario Ware game with weapon degradation

Also they should pay us to play doom 3 tbh

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 30, 2021

Cainer
May 8, 2008

bowmore posted:

I meant the game, but yes the port isn't great either

Really? That blows, I really love the comics.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I wonder why it doesn’t include Doom 64.

Limited Run already sold a standalone version of Doom 64, so they probably don’t want to piss off the collector nerds by including it in this package.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

For anyone looking to fill the BotW shaped holes in their hearts I heartily recommend Immortals. Or I should say, my wife does because she's been playing it non-stop for the past 2 days. The art style definitely holds up to the port downgrades and it seems to run really solid 30fps for the most part which is drat impressive work by Ubisoft

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I thought it was going to work, got to the point where I was running the game on both Switches but once I tried to join the local lobby I got the error that the game or DLC can only be played on one console. I was wanting to play with my 7 year old, but I’m not sure she would like it so I’m not spending another $60.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cainer posted:

Really? That blows, I really love the comics.

hey don’t let me stop you, it could just not have been my thing

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I played through Pokémon Snap over the weekend and I am now fully hyped for New Pokémon Snap to come out in a few weeks. I’m not sure what it is, but taking pictures of Pokémon is so calming and fun :allears:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kevyn posted:

Limited Run already sold a standalone version of Doom 64, so they probably don’t want to piss off the collector nerds by including it in this package.

That makes sense, still seems silly to me

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That makes sense, still seems silly to me

It's exactly as silly as any other Limited Run product.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I played through Pokémon Snap over the weekend and I am now fully hyped for New Pokémon Snap to come out in a few weeks. I’m not sure what it is, but taking pictures of Pokémon is so calming and fun :allears:

only 31 more days! :woop:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Well they're pissing off me, who would have bought a collection with doom 1, 2 and 64!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

I want to play Final Fantasy Tactics so bad right now and I'm extremely pissed off that it's the only PS1 era Final Fantasy not on the Switch. Give us FFT!

I never played it. Dunno, do you think I should?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It's really different from the non tactics FF games but tbh it's the best one apart from maybe 5 or 6 depending on who you ask

I get the impression project triangle is the closest we are going to get on the switch but I haven't played the demo yet so I'm unclear if that's accurate or not

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I finally beat Crash Bandicoot 1 on my Nintendo Switch!!! Very rewarding platforms but definitely frustrating at some points. (High Road, Slippery Climb, I’m looking at you two) Proud of myself though.

Tapping into the second game already feels much more forgiving. That could be that it’s only the beginning, but the unlocked movement and slide/pound feel like substantial additions and the levels feel much more differentiated. Hope it’s easier, but not *too* easy.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
FFT is only $6 on Android right now.
I saw that i had some spare points from G Opinion so just went ahead and bought it yesterday.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve only ever played Tactics Advance, the original seems cooler

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So, now my joycons are now depleting their batteries whilst plugged in in sleep mode. Does anyone have any idea if there's a reason this could be happening other than hardware error?

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

hatty posted:

I’ve only ever played Tactics Advance, the original seems cooler

Advance and A2 are far superior games to the original in my honest opinion.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

So, now my joycons are now depleting their batteries whilst plugged in in sleep mode. Does anyone have any idea if there's a reason this could be happening other than hardware error?

This happened to me. Make sure the things are properly connected. I somehow managed to shake one loose from its internal connection socket and got super confused when the battery on my still connected looking joycon was suddenly empty

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I didn't care much for the tone of the FFTA games. It was a weird line to walk between cutesy and dramatic and I don't think they toed it very well. FE did a good job of being rather dour with moments of comedic relief and AW is amazing at selling how cool and good war is, even though they try to portray it as awful in the DS games, especially the last one. The gameplay is real good though.

Never having played FFT I'd like to try out it's more proper medieval setting.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Geo Fixer posted:

Advance and A2 are far superior games to the original in my honest opinion.

I heavily disagree but I can understand why. FFTA's "Neverending Story" plot is definitely more approachable (and more whimsical fun) than FFT's heavy political intrigue. The Law system, while it has its issues (gently caress No Knockback, the worst poo poo), adds slightly more challenge than FFT which is pretty easy to steamroll when you know what you're doing, aside from one or two hitches (mostly Riovanes). FFTA is also a bit more forgiving since you can't have party members die aside from in the Jagd, which is like three maps that you have no real reason to fight in once the story is over. And building the world map yourself is pretty fun and it's neat that there are a bunch of configurations you can do to get some real nice treasure.

That said I think A2 is definitely better than the original FFTA, though I personally consider both of them inferior to FFT. Ramza is hands down my favorite Final Fantasy protagonist, and I love the political stuff in it that to me is more interesting than FFTA's "wooo fun adventures in Ivalice!" or A2's...uh...whatever the plot of A2 was, aside from "Luso can't go home until the journal is filled." It's been like ten years since I've played it so I've kinda forgotten what was going on. I also really, really, really hate FFTA/A2's "you can only get abilities from equipment" thing, I much prefer the JP system in the original FFT.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FFTA and A2 make the the job system way way worse by making your leveling up stat growths heavily dependent on the class you are when leveling up (compared to FFT where the vast majority if your stats come from the class you are currently in, which makes it very flexible and encourages trying out stuff). This means that leveling up in any of the slow jobs just makes your character terrible compared to the slow ones. For example, A human leveled up mostly as a Ninja is about a billion times more effective than a human mostly leveled up as a paladin. You can't turn a character from a physical job into a magic job without gimping them either.

The whole point of the FF5/FFT style job system is flexibility so I have no idea why they did it that way

Andrast fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 30, 2021

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Last time I played FFTA I started to level a human mage to make him into a Blue Mage, remembered all the hoops you have to jump through to actually learn Blue Mage abilities, and kicked him out of the clan instead

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

multijoe posted:

Libluini posted:

This happened to me. Make sure the things are properly connected. I somehow managed to shake one loose from its internal connection socket and got super confused when the battery on my still connected looking joycon was suddenly empty
Yeah, if you haven't tried that yet, remove the joycons and re-attach them and see if they're charging. Might be that they're not quite connected right and re-seating them will fix the problem.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've tried that and they seem to be charging now, but it seems an insane design flaw that they'll also lose their entire charge from 45 minutes of active use and then sitting idle for a couple of days, very annoying when I'm all prepped to do my pre work Ring Fit session and I just can't.

Anyway thanks for the advice, I'm loving praying these things get a hardware revision for the Switch Pro

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Final Fantasy Tactics with the original, eccentric translation is my favorite version. drat shame I can’t play it or Chrono Trigger on my Switch.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
My brain must be broken, because I love turn-based jrpgs, but I find tactical and strategy rpgs to be boring and bad.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jet Jaguar posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics with the original, eccentric translation is my favorite version. drat shame I can’t play it or Chrono Trigger on my Switch.

This reminds me how much chrono cross on switch would own

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

mandatory lesbian posted:

This reminds me how much [insert game here] on switch would own

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Advance Wars is my favorite tactics game. FFTs are overwrought and poorly balanced.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I actually never played chrono cross. Is it good? I remember wondering wtf it was meant to be from gameplay stills because i wasn't actually sure if it was turn based or not

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I actually think into the breach may be better than advance wars? Tbf advance wars is both quite older and also more elegant in its simplicity but breach is so loving good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

djfooboo posted:

Advance Wars is my favorite tactics game. FFTs are overwrought and poorly balanced.

I love both, but i do wish for a follow-up to dual strike. Specifically that one, day of ruin was good and all but i want my fun characters back

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I actually never played chrono cross. Is it good? I remember wondering wtf it was meant to be from gameplay stills because i wasn't actually sure if it was turn based or not

its good but a lot of people hate it cuz it doesnt respect trigger at all. Luckily neither do i so its my fav of the two

It is turn-based

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

djfooboo posted:

I've always been a big fan of Fire Emblem for the sole reason that you can play a turn inside a calendar month. All the 3D camera games I've played with spell and skill menus are just so ponderously slow, and if you're a little trigger happy and prone to making mistakes like me losing half an hour or more of progress to a single battle is just torture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
That Limited Run Doom collection looks rad but I promised myself I wasn't going to spend double digits on an old Doom game again after coming across a boxed PlayStation Doom and putting it on my shelf.