Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Spikes32 posted:

Cost of living, lovely lovely lovely infrastructure (including freeways), not as nice of weather compared to southern california (might be specific to me), tech Bros everywhere, a lack of forward planning by the state/city resulting in a huge class divide (see infrastructure) and general snobbery by everyone there for different reasons.

That said if your specialization is starting up automation machine learning labs and have any kind of glp experience you could write your own ticket in the bay area.

if it makes u feel better, I live in SJ nearby the proposed new googleplex site and my rent went down $400/mo (my rent is still hella $). you're right in that public transit blows and you need a car to go everywhere. the best restaurants are in random rear end strip malls (even michelin starred ones). the tech bros can be annoying but nobody is going out of their way to being obnoxious anymore than in other cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Spikes32 posted:

... glp experience ...

I'm assuming a PhD counts as negative experience?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Spikes32 posted:

Cost of living, lovely lovely lovely infrastructure (including freeways), not as nice of weather compared to southern california (might be specific to me), tech Bros everywhere, a lack of forward planning by the state/city resulting in a huge class divide (see infrastructure) and general snobbery by everyone there for different reasons.

That said if your specialization is starting up automation machine learning labs and have any kind of glp experience you could write your own ticket in the bay area.
I 100% agree with this sentiment. You couldn't pay me enough to live there.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Greatest Living Man posted:

I'm assuming a PhD counts as negative experience?

Depends on what part of pharma you're getting into. Pure R&D it's a net positive. If you've got any kind of regulated lab experience spin that as much as you can. My experience is all on the production /regulated side of things though so I have less insight into the research side of things where things are fast and loose.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Dik Hz posted:

I 100% agree with this sentiment. You couldn't pay me enough to live there.

This and the burritos have rice in them, what the gently caress

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Spikes32 posted:

Sounds like Boston with better weather and higher rent.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Yeah that’s why I turned down Gingko

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

street doc posted:

Sounds like Boston with better weather and higher rent.

Idk so far Boston’s public transportation seems pretty awesome

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Lol oh my sweet summer child

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shrieking Muppet posted:

please dont troll

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I’m sharing this one with the Boston thread.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Lots of articles, every year since 2014 posted:

Runners Narrowly Win Race Against Boston Trolley
Man beats machine in 4.1-mile race along Green Line.

Yeah, I know it's not quite a fair comparison, but it's a fun story. :haw:

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

street doc fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 18, 2021

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Lol oh my sweet summer child

Am I in for a treat when life returns to normal?

Edit: Also better or worse than NYC?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Am I in for a treat when life returns to normal?

Edit: Also better or worse than NYC?

vastly worse

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Come post with us in the Boston thread. I moved away like 5 years ago but I'm actually still posting from the T, waiting to leave.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

RadioPassive posted:

Come post with us in the Boston thread. I moved away like 5 years ago but I'm actually still posting from the T, waiting to leave.

Charlie??

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

mllaneza posted:

If you end up landing in the Bay Area, look into Genentech, we could use more goons. And working here does not suck. We've got something like 800 PathLIMS users, and anyone who wants to write their own ticket for lab automation should be looking in our direction. The new head of research and early development is big on computational biology, so R and Python are both in demand.

I always heard weird things about how Genentech was structured compared to other companies (generally not in a positive light). Then again I have never worked there and I only hear stuff from people that left which might introduce some bias. I recall when my smallish company shut down in 2007 they brought in the entire company for a mass interview.

Small startups have been entertaining for the last while as long as you land a good one, just do whatever you want to do. Very hit or miss though, it will either be great or terrible with nothing inbetween

Edit: Just saw the post was from almost a month ago, guess I have not looked at BFC for a while.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 23, 2021

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pain of Mind posted:

I always heard weird things about how Genentech was structured compared to other companies (generally not in a positive light). Then again I have never worked there and I only hear stuff from people that left which might introduce some bias. I recall when I my smallish company shut down in 2007 they brought in the entire company for a mass interview.

Small startups have been entertaining for the last while as long as you land a good one, just do whatever you want to do. Very hit or miss though, it will either be great or terrible with nothing inbetween

Edit: Just saw the post was from almost a month ago, guess I have not looked at BFC for a while.

It probably depends heavily on your department and whether Roche has oversight of you or not, but I can definitely say that Genentech is the best place I've ever worked. Every job sucks compared to whatever else we'd enjoy doing with our time otherwise of course, but I would legit call this a good job.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

It probably depends heavily on your department and whether Roche has oversight of you or not, but I can definitely say that Genentech is the best place I've ever worked. Every job sucks compared to whatever else we'd enjoy doing with our time otherwise of course, but I would legit call this a good job.

A lot of places will have managers ask you where you want to be in five years. Genentech is a unicorn in that they follow that up with helping you develop a plan to get there within the larger organization, develop the skills you want to learn, and position yourself as someone a manager from another division might come and poach to their team. We have HR systems built to facilitate this. If I remember correctly, yesterday's all-hands department meeting had 2 15 year, and a 20 year anniversary announced. I've seen 2 or 3 30s in the last 18 months.

When I first started it was kind of creepy. Everyone was super nice., like "is this a cult ?" nice. After about 6 months I realized that Recruiting was aggressively screening toxic people out at the interview stage. It's working, corporate culture is, by and large, the healthiest I've ever even heard of.

We also spend money on basic science. people work on new techniques. People work on old diseases. We've done studies recently on such old favorites as cholera. Imagine ending cholera's reign as a top killer. We do.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

If I remember correctly, yesterday's all-hands department meeting had 2 15 year, and a 20 year anniversary announced. I've seen 2 or 3 30s in the last 18 months.

This part isn't something my group has (I mean, apart from the fact that we're a brand-new group and all new hires in the last 6 years). About 70% of my group is made of contractors on 3-yr terms that I'm not usually allowed to renew. (HR says "you can renew critical contractors for one term" but then when you try, they say "if they were critical, they wouldn't be a contractor.) It's a constant source of conflict between me and my upper management, because I can't run an efficient manufacturing operation when I have to replace the operators every time they finally reach full proficiency in the operations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

This part isn't something my group has (I mean, apart from the fact that we're a brand-new group and all new hires in the last 6 years). About 70% of my group is made of contractors on 3-yr terms that I'm not usually allowed to renew. (HR says "you can renew critical contractors for one term" but then when you try, they say "if they were critical, they wouldn't be a contractor.) It's a constant source of conflict between me and my upper management, because I can't run an efficient manufacturing operation when I have to replace the operators every time they finally reach full proficiency in the operations.

Good point. Contractors are very much second-class citizens in many ways. The shipping & receiving folks for example are on an 18-month turnover contract. Which should explain a lot. The state labor board just wants someone who looks, acts, and quacks like an employee to have someone paying payroll tax for them.

In IT we have an MSP under contract for all of hardware lifecycle for desktops and laptops: initial deployment, repair, and retirement. They've got a lot of people with years of experience because the individuals in that org are FTEs of the MSP, so term limits do not apply. There's an opportunity here to organize a worker's coop that will employ the manufacturing contractors and deal with GNE collectively to get around your issues with HR. You'd get to keep your experienced people. The contractors would become FTEs of their org. Gnenetech might even save money over 1099 rates or whatever the umbrella contracting agency charges.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Thanks for all the great replies to me about method development earlier. As you can guess I’m considering my next move and I am far from having it all figured out. My dream job would be having a lot of autonomy and ownership of work I can be proud of.

My work history is: 8 years analytical chemistry (QC actually), then 0.5 new product development, now 2 in process development. Considering these roles, I think only the product development was really conducive to both autonomy and ownership.
When you think of those 2 things, do any other chemistry roles come to mind?

A dream job for me might be in reach with my current experience, or it may require more years somewhere as a stepping stone. Ideally a stepping stone that partly fulfills my goal anyway! Either way, I would love advice to help focus my search.

teardrop fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 8, 2021

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Highschool teaching lab, so it might not qualify for the thread, but amusing story:

My lab doesn't have a disposal policy. And every attempt I make to draw one up gets rejected.
It's in a country that doesn't really care about this sort of thing, despite laws being on the books.
At first I kept lab waste in a set of appropriately divided/categorised containers, and I was worrying about when said containers would become more of a risk than inappropriate disposal...
...until I came back after a long weekend to find the containers emptied, (apparently) cleaned and stacked. Supposedly the cleaning staff had just dumped the contents down the sink, no word on what safety gear they had but it couldn't have been much.

And sure, it's only highschool teaching, but there's plenty of deeply questionable waste being produced regardless.
Anyway, I am now in situation where carefully dumping waste down the sink with consideration of timing and combinations is literally my least-unsafe disposal option. I never imagined this would be possible.

Delightful.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Atopian posted:

It's in a country that doesn't really care about this sort of thing, despite laws being on the books.

Sounds like my country, the United States :v: When I first delivered waste to the hazardous waste facility here, I was prepped to be good. MSDSs, labeled containers. They had me fill out paperwork, ok great. I wrote chemical names. He said oh you're not supposed to write there. He crossed them out and put "lab chemicals." On another trip they labeled them "flammable solvents" which was half the cost per pound of "lab chemicals" I've watched them decant jugs into drums with nothing but a smock and goggles, and they've asked us to change our waste stream for smell purposes. This lead me down a "should we collect in drums ourselves?" path, and lamenting their ultimate fate
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/11/the-toxic-waste-drum-is-everywhere/508418/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I was trying to figure out methods for an experiment and did a literature dive. Turns out a couple months ago a lab in Canada was doing something similar, and their methods section includes full 3d printer diagrams for their machine AND all the code they used in to control it with an arduino, so I should be able to basically just download their entire experimental apparatus and use it for our experiment.

Thanks, Canadians. You just saved me a ton of work. :kimchi:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I keep getting these scam mails. I am assuming I am not the only one getting these.
Anyone knows what the setup is?

Example below:

Hello,

I came across one of your published papers. My company is looking to buy a used Waters Triple Quadrupole Mass Spectrometer and I noticed that you were referring to a similar model in your research, so I thought maybe you would consider selling your old instrument.

In particular, we are looking to buy a Waters Xevo TQ-S or TQ-D models.

Please let me know if your lab is planning to retire anything. We will be happy to make an offer.

Thanks!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Never gotten one of those before, do you get tons of them for different equipmwnt?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Could just be desperate people trying to get equipment. Supply chain issues may mean the manufacturer isn't able to produce them at the moment?

Probably just a scam but if you actually worked with that instrument and have published on it maybe it's legit?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mr Newsman posted:

Could just be desperate people trying to get equipment. Supply chain issues may mean the manufacturer isn't able to produce them at the moment?

Probably just a scam but if you actually worked with that instrument and have published on it maybe it's legit?

I have gotten the same literal email only differing in the equipment wanted. It have so far only been one case of me actually having worked with that specific equipment.
Which was an äkta Fplc and which I know you can get on EBay and which is common on surplus markets. It is also discontinued since like 5 years.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My guess is spear phishing for IP.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they want to sell them on eBay and are hoping to find people who will let them go cheap?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Obvious answer: Opening a lab to make spice for the street market and need some QC equipment

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

What I find weird is that all of the equipment are regularly available on auctions, especially in the US.

Mustached Demon posted:

My guess is spear phishing for IP.

As in email? Good luck with that since we run google suites.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cardiac posted:

What I find weird is that all of the equipment are regularly available on auctions, especially in the US.

As in email? Good luck with that since we run google suites.

I was thinking less for access and more about what you use the instruments for. Any little bit of information they can snag off to build a better picture.

To be fair, my works hyper-paranoid and encourages us to view everything external under that lense if we're not in a role that works with external groups.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Our manufacturing team.... Had a media fill last week which involves finishing the vials with clean and compressed air instead of nitrogen. But forgot to switch back to nitrogen after it was done. And filled product for two days before realizing on the 3rd day they were pumping air into the vials when it should have been sterile, anaerobic nitrogen. What. How.

Yes the batch record didn't include instructions for them to switch back at the end of the media fill and yes it will soon.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Probably already known to those for whom it's directly relevant, but FDA has released new clinical trial covariance guidance.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

I was thinking less for access and more about what you use the instruments for. Any little bit of information they can snag off to build a better picture.

To be fair, my works hyper-paranoid and encourages us to view everything external under that lense if we're not in a role that works with external groups.

Since I work at a cro, they would/should get a better picture from our website.
I am just waiting for them to ask for one of our sorvall ultracentrifuges. Currently we are up to 5 of them in different conditions spanning a time period of 30 years. Don’t ask about ss-34 rotors.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Speaking of FDA, I’m new at a pharma company, and asked our analytical lab for an ICP-MS method for our process. They come back with results and it just says <LOQ for all 50 elements... because they’ve set LOQ at 50% of the upper specification limit, or about 1000x higher than the capability of the instrument. Even better, someone gave them old specs that were too high so it missed our entire range.

I ask how they monitor trends with methods that only report “<LOQ” and they say that’s just how pharma does it, check USP 233. Sure enough, that seems to say ICP-MS methods should only be validated from 50-150% of the upper spec limit. Best case scenario missing fully half of the range that’s in spec.

Is this for real? How is there any process control like that, it basically turns a high sensitivity analytical method into a pass/fail stamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Usp is your guidepost/ minimum. Companies are free to validate beyond that. I'll let you guess how many do.

In a well run/funded/staffed company the analytical dept would have recognized that there was oodles of data below that initial loq and done the extra work for trending purposes.

If your product though is very well known or simple to make, gathering that data might not have been a priority.