Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Huffing tracks to research monsters was a cool idea for adding another level to getting to know monsters, and it felt like one of those friction moments that had a cool purpose, but it could have been done much better. I kinda miss the scout flies and still don’t understand the hatred, if nothing else they were a cool visual.

Its a cool idea, but I won't miss it.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the people saying the game is easy were probably going purely off of village quests, which are very much just an extended tutorial. not that the game is blisteringly hard, though, for anyone who has spent a lot of time with world and previous games before that. even beyond that it's not even remotely actually easier than other, equivalent, tiers in previous games.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I tried fanning maneuver, but it just seems extremely bad to me. It seemed more likely to choose a very strange spot to center my slide on and then swing me the opposite way I wanted to go and get me killed than to actually be useful, plus it just does way less than the vault.

Pierce ammo seems to also be really dubious to use while doing the fanning maneuver, because ideally you'd want to just use it to position faster, and regular wirebug hop does that just fine without giving up the mines.

It doesn't help that lbg without the overhead has a lot of trouble getting the wirebug damage needed to trigger mounts, because just hitting the mine does the blue silk damage, but for the fan it only does the blue damage during the move itself, which is gonna be like 1 shot?

You really only want to use fanning maneuver while you're aiming at the monster, then it will reliably swing you around them in the direction you were moving the left stick when you started. You can also dodge during it to stop without shooting or reloading.

I'm still in low rank but the other wirebug skill, the slide forward and shoot, always makes monsters that aren't the quest target ridable in just one hit. Maybe that falls off in HR.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Wow, I decided to jump into some random 3* Hub quests, just curious to was going on there, and even with some people who were clearly on the other side of the world, I was able to join in and play seamlessly with almost no lag.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Ive been playing Rise almost non-stop since Saturday evening, can't quite put my finger on it but i'm liking it more than MHW, just does a lot of things a little better, seems a bit more forgiving as well.

Was using mostly insect glaive in MHW but i'm really enjoying the switchblade in rise now. Might rotate some Hunting Horn in since I like the idea of buffing a party.

Wasn't a huge fan of the English voices, switching it to Japanese voices is way more pleasant to me, especially since it's a Japanesey setting.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man, souring wyvern blade for SA is a work of art. That in addition to the insane buff to evade extender makes it feel like a whole different weapon, and I mained it all through World HR. Let's take a break from DB and enjoy this a bit

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Johnny Joestar posted:

the people saying the game is easy were probably going purely off of village quests, which are very much just an extended tutorial. not that the game is blisteringly hard, though, for anyone who has spent a lot of time with world and previous games before that. even beyond that it's not even remotely actually easier than other, equivalent, tiers in previous games.

Eh, it's definitely a step down from world. The monsters don't seem to be able to keep up with all the quality of life and player buffs. I'm soloing through hub and still haven't failed a mission. I hope there is some ball crushing in the expansion.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

victrix posted:

2) Use large barrel bombs in midair

pardon

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I didn’t even think of radial menu = infrequent items and use potions and whatever off the “normal” menu. The controls in this series are insane.

mightygerm posted:

This is not how it works in Rise. Wide is now the charge shelling build as it gets 2 levels of charged with the most damage. It also has KO damage with the stake, with slugger levels you can KO monsters VERY easily. This also means you don't want to use blast dash with wide and prioritize the 2 step fast WS combo.
Normal and Long play basically the same, normal has more shells for burst and long does more WS damage and can shoot farther, but you play them more or less the same.

Ah good to know, when I occasionally play Gunlance I’ll just avoid Wide in that case. I have Hammers to KO things

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

a new study bible! posted:

Barioth can eat my whole loving rear end

tetranodon has you covered

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

https://hyakumonogatari.com/2012/01/25/kappa-to-shirikodama-kappa-and-the-small-anus-ball/

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

and even with some people who were clearly on the other side of the world, I was able to join in and play seamlessly with almost no lag.

Having monsters with very predictable patterns and (compared to, like, fighting games) very slow moves with long animations has always made the series great. We used to play Frontier with me in Australia, two US guys and someone from Brazil and it just worked. It doesn't get hyped up much but it's awesome for people who aren't US/EU players.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I love playing with Japanese players, I wish there were a relatively easy way to chat with them to practice the language that i've been picking up. They also tend to be just plain good at the game.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Jump over the monster and slam dunk a barrel bomb on their head. It’s the coolest poo poo ever.

Finally got to play some more tonight after not playing since Friday. Got through Village 3* up to the urgent. It’s nice to have Aerial DB back, but I definitely should have used something different for Barroth. I also tried out LBG and Charge Blade, they both felt excellent. They’ve done such a good job making all the weapons feel smooth and not clunky even if you don’t really know what you’re doing with them.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

homeless snail posted:

Its bad, a modal interface that takes over your camera controls and doesn't allow you to prime items while you're doing other things like the classic L+Y/A. So incredibly glad they have the foresight to allow you to turn it off

Holy poo poo yeah I had no idea you could turn that off, thank you. I know some people love it but I finished Iceborne without using it (on purpose) even once. I had my steam controller back paddles to scroll through items though which ruled

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

so I went way out of my comfort zone and after totally ignoring the guns for like 5 generations I've been loving around with lbg a bit in rise. I like to jump over the monster and throw mines on them.

however I am still baffled by choosing a weapon, mostly because of how much the ammo varies which I guess is the whole appeal and point to the weapon.

I look at my options and have no idea if one is actually better or not in the way I can look at like any melee weapon and generally get a rough idea of if its OK or awful. Not just the types of ammo but like if something is rapid fire or you have to stay still when you reload/etc/etc....

I've been mostly using the magnamalo and zinogre lbgs and am getting into HR more now but still generally confused about what weapons to make. Can anyone help me out with what to actually look for or make???

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I’m having a hard time figuring out what if anything I should sell at the end of a quest. I haven’t sold anything yet..

I bounced hard off MHW. I really like just going to the drat monster.

I did some kind of flip in the air insane combo with the lance but I have no idea *how* I did it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Johnny Joestar posted:

Honestly, I think they may have taken a step backwards with Rise in this regard. I know a lot of the people I played with in World loved the actual story single player stuff, and that it was challenging for them with the option to group, but haven't touched anything outside the quest line stuff because once the story was over, so was the game.

Despite its foibles, people really loved being able to participate in the story multi-player at all levels.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Snake Maze posted:

No, they’re totally different attacks. I forget which is which but the original is a single move that gives different attacks depending on how long you charge it. The alternate is actually a 3 move string, where each step is a different charge attack. Start charging right after a charge attack finishes to get the next move in the combo. For that one the attacks themselves don’t change as you hold it, but they’ll get an extra hit and do more damage.

Edit: wait, unless strength and courage are the original two modes, and not the switch skill one? If it’s just the default hammer and you’re not using switch skills, yellow mode and blue mode have different attacks but work the same way.

I've played Hammer a lot in the other games and quite a bit here. Here's the lowdown on the modes:

Normal (before pressing ZR+B): Original moveset, 3 charge levels.

Strength: Similar to original mode set, but more powerful, with a totally different move for the third level charge (no more spinning hammer).

Courage: 2 charge levels, but every time you charge right after the last attack, it does a different, more powerful attack (culminating in a 3rd powerful one). Charging it to the 2nd level doesn't change the animation, but makes it hit multiple times. Also I discovered if you roll during the animation of prepping your charge, you can keep the attack sequence going.

Additionally, when you hit ZR+B when you're in Strength/Courage mode, you instantly are at charge level 3 of the normal moveset.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 30, 2021

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Why is the blacksmith Joe Biden?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

This is the first mh where I enjoyed the story at all and laughed unironicly at the humor.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Hunting horn is so goddamn amazing. I just got the Sinister Strum and Attack+Defense/Regen/Sonic Barrier with 100% uptime in addition to then genuinely great breakdance and massive hit silk move is amazing.

The best weapon is now even better.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Finally had time to get through low rank, and magnamalo is a great monster. I was disappointed to see its armor was not the same as the amiibo armor, so hopefully they release that to the rest of us plebs eventually.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Spanish Matlock posted:

Hunting horn is so goddamn amazing. I just got the Sinister Strum and Attack+Defense/Regen/Sonic Barrier with 100% uptime in addition to then genuinely great breakdance and massive hit silk move is amazing.

The best weapon is now even better.

Everytime I tried to get into the weapon into the past I could never really jive with how songs worked for some reason. Like, the original song system isn't that bad but I always fumbled the hell out of it.

So just throwing it on in the training room and learning that aspect of it has been sped up and automated a good deal was a huge sell for me.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Everytime I tried to get into the weapon into the past I could never really jive with how songs worked for some reason. Like, the original song system isn't that bad but I always fumbled the hell out of it.

So just throwing it on in the training room and learning that aspect of it has been sped up and automated a good deal was a huge sell for me.

I'm using the echo style. I'm not sure what is different between the styles tbh. Does the new style just play the songs automatically? Like I'm rarely playing songs except for mag trio. Maybe I should switch over.

Edit: yeah google gives almost nothing about it. I mean it seems like the echo style is better for setting up mag trio because you don't need to play the notes twice?

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 30, 2021

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm using the echo style. I'm not sure what is different between the styles tbh. Does the new style just play the songs automatically? Like I'm rarely playing songs except for mag trio. Maybe I should switch over.

Edit: yeah google gives almost nothing about it. I mean it seems like the echo style is better for setting up mag trio because you don't need to play the notes twice?

Yeah with Echo you only have to play the note once and then hit ZR to activate it, rather than playing it twice in a row and having it activate automatically.

I definitely prefer echo style.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah. It's twice the notes (so 2 of X, A, or X+A) to trigger the songs but they automatically play and apply without interrupting your attacks at all.

ZR has invuln frames while you do a little breakdance swing and applies Self Improvement.

Also for both styles the new Magnificent Trio (ZR+X) attack will put up all songs at once regardless of your queued notes.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 30, 2021

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I found an outfit combo that gives good skills (lv3 constitution, lv3 critical eye) that actually looks good together. I just want to post about this incredible feat. What a game.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Will I ever be able to recruit buddies that are higher than level 5? In MHGU it was tied to quests/hub progress, but I haven't found anything to that effect in Rise yet.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Something that feels a bit goofy: If you have two or more hunting horn users, one player using Infernal Melody will not only lock the others out of using it, but it will lock them out of charging meter too. (Until the buff expires.)

You can kinda get around it by using it at the same time. (Obviously you're wasting the buff.)

What the gently caress so that's why I seemingly randomly wasn't gaining meter. At least that explains it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If I have one complaint about HH it's that they tied the cool and useful spin move from World to the charge bar so I can't just spam it on the monsters head for big knockouts.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Good news, when you use Hunting Horn the only person you need to support is yourself. :unsmigghh:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Badly Jester posted:

Will I ever be able to recruit buddies that are higher than level 5? In MHGU it was tied to quests/hub progress, but I haven't found anything to that effect in Rise yet.

As soon as you get to high rank, the level cap for recruitable buddies jumps up to 18 or 19.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Lance boys, what armor would you recommend?
(I'm right at the end of HR)

I've been running Guard Up 5 + Guard 3 but I think that's probably wasteful.
Using the Narga lance.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Finally got to HR stuff and holy gently caress the apex rampage was :stare:

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Triarii posted:

As soon as you get to high rank, the level cap for recruitable buddies jumps up to 18 or 19.

That's good to know, thanks!

Incidentally, does anyone have any thoughts or a guide on which skills/moves are good to have on buddies in this game?

Edit: scrolled past 100s of shitposts on reddit and found this pretty decent overview.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 30, 2021

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
This game sucks it games me a long sword in the cinematic after you kill Magnamalo Capcom please

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

This game sucks it games me a long sword in the cinematic after you kill Magnamalo Capcom please

Between that and the game defaulting to it at the start I believe this game to actually be very bad.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

longsword is rad as hell and i keep trying new weapons but defaulting back to it. They really just made it waaaaaay too good in this game.
The iai spirit slash raising a level on perfect counter instead of dropping a level like World is actually nutty. Just always at red and ready to helmbreaker the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ashtarath posted:

longsword is rad as hell and i keep trying new weapons but defaulting back to it. They really just made it waaaaaay too good in this game.
The iai spirit slash raising a level on perfect counter instead of dropping a level like World is actually nutty. Just always at red and ready to helmbreaker the world.

even with qs3 i'm real fuckin bad at landing iai spirit slash counters :smith: