Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Here comes a week of absolutely nothing to go along with the previous three months of absolutely nothing

Sure does feel like they aren't working on this project anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sarsapariller posted:

Here comes a week of absolutely nothing to go along with the previous three months of absolutely nothing

Jesus, that is just pitiful.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Sarsapariller posted:

What do you mean nothing? There is a lore post and a discount :shepspends:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Sarsapariller posted:

Squashing remaining bugs, heh, sure.
So 3.13 is coming in 2026.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

WTF did I just read?

It's impossible to make this poo poo up. Their "update" on a game in development includes no information on a game in development, and even one of their "inside Star Citizen" things isn't being worked on for a few weeks. They're not even able to do the non-game development stuff on top of failing to do the game development stuff.

This is farce.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

I feel like it would be more interesting and immersive if you could learn about the game's lore in the game.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm sorry, what? They "brought the quarterly season" to a close? So they're just going to knock off for a few weeks???

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'd be sympathetic to the point that progress could take longer than a week or even a quarter to be meaningful but we're how many years in now? The expectation of regular progress is one they've not just created but nurtured. They have only themselves to blame for any criticism they receive on this front.

As a point of comparison - Starsector just released another major patch after at least a year since the last release. That game that's been slowly developing for at least as long as Star Citizen - ten years ago it wasn't even called Starsector and was just a battle simulator. But even with an extremely small and part time dev team they manage to make actual, even astounding progress between releases. It's weird how the arcane MVP magic of 'release a product *then* improve on it' produces the best games around while Star Citizen languishes. If only Store Citizen wasn't languishing in unlimited cash as well....

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bootcha posted:

The Prophecy Exception.

Never played it, but if it's an exception, I'm guessing it was horrible in spite of not being made by Chris?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Sarsapariller posted:

I like the spaceship on the right, the one that looks like a duck

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Tippis posted:

The quality of any Chrisgame is ƒ(1 / [number of chris credits for the game] ).
This is why Freelancer is the best of the bunch, and WC2 is entirely tolerable.

:lol:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sarsapariller posted:

So refueling and repair just entered "active development". I guess it still is early days.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Colostomy Bag posted:

So refueling and repair just entered "active development". I guess it still is early days.

I'm looking forward to refueling gun

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

How does fueling and repairing enter development? There's no refueling and repairing?

What? It's been ten years?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

Do they still show the roadmap or have they memory holed that completely already and hope no one asks ?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I can understand a week with no visible progress every now and then, but it gets less and less likely the more the team size increases.

Our team at work is less than 15 people so we measure releases of new features and stuff more in quarters than weeks. Overall CIG is like what, 600+ people? At that size there should absolutely be something being completed almost every week.
I feel like secretly they have no developers anymore, it's just people writing lore and then videos of execs theory-crafting.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Deskeletonized posted:

So the talk about Ultima got me thinking about one of the things I find most strangest about CIG’s success. Why did Shroud wither and die while SC continues to lurch ever-onward?

I never played the Ultima series (I was a little too young and one of the six people trying to game on Mac), and Garriott always seemed like a super weird dude, but they were important, highly successful, and much beloved games. I feel like if anyone or any IP from that era could have succeeded it would have been Shroud, Tabula Rasa notwithstanding. So how did CR fumble and “uh” and handwave his way into the grifting hall of fame while Garriott closed up shop and unceremoniously slunk away?

Was it just that CR did a better job using dudes like Lesnick to tap into whale psychology and gamify backing? Did he have a better group of competent adults, like Ortwin, to help him move and shift and hide money away? Did he simply beat Garriott to the Kickstarter punch and get lucky? Did Garriott just commit the cardinal sin of releasing a product?

I think a big part of it was presentation.

On one hand you've got a developer who knows how he wants a game to generally play and feel, and on the other hand you've got a movie director who likes flashy graphics.

SotA looked more like an asset flip than a nice game, and it was hideously aged due to that. I think that, along with the poor gameplay, hammered the nails in. SotA couldn't attract new blood to it because of its looks, and all the old Ultima fans weren't donating enough to keep the lights on indefinitely. This fell to the "bad games always have bad graphics" concept and people were right because it also played badly.

Meanwhile SC has the programming internals of some Euro survival game with junky vehicle controls from the core engine modded into it with some no clip flight system, but it looks good. I think the general option is "it looks so good surely it can't play badly, because bad games always have bad graphics", and this has managed to keep the lights on unlike SotA.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

commando in tophat posted:

I'm looking forward to refueling gun

It'll be a refueling missile*

*missiles are still hosed

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

Hizawk posted:

How does fueling and repairing enter development? There's no refueling and repairing?

What? It's been ten years?

Only 6 years since they sold and released the Starfarer, the dedicated refueling ship.
I :lol: at all the dreams.txt from back then, on how ship refueling and the needed logistics would have deep implications on fleet/org operations.
Also typing this made me remember orgs, a concept that even backers seem to have given up.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

Sarsapariller posted:

Your hundreds of millions of dollars at work, Citizens! o7

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

The Titanic posted:

I think a big part of it was presentation.

On one hand you've got a developer who knows how he wants a game to generally play and feel, and on the other hand you've got a movie director who likes flashy graphics.

SotA looked more like an asset flip than a nice game, and it was hideously aged due to that. I think that, along with the poor gameplay, hammered the nails in. SotA couldn't attract new blood to it because of its looks, and all the old Ultima fans weren't donating enough to keep the lights on indefinitely. This fell to the "bad games always have bad graphics" concept and people were right because it also played badly.

Meanwhile SC has the programming internals of some Euro survival game with junky vehicle controls from the core engine modded into it with some no clip flight system, but it looks good. I think the general option is "it looks so good surely it can't play badly, because bad games always have bad graphics", and this has managed to keep the lights on unlike SotA.

This makes sense, as does the previous point that RPGs, as a genre, never "died" the way space sims & combat games did. So CR was able to tap into a lot of pent-up demand, and used the then-prettiness of Cryengine to sell the "good graphics, good game" fallacy. It's just so odd in retrospect, because both products look like hot garbage now. Thanks!

The irony, of course, is that if you looked at CR and Garriott back in the early 90s and asked "which of these supremely weird people will be leading a digital doomsday cult dedicated to their IP" you'd probably assume the guy in full regalia LARPing as royalty would be the prime suspect, not the young thumb sweating in front of a greenscreen with Mark Hamill, but here we are.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

That's all fine and dandy but, like, aren't they also developing a single-player game called Squadron 54? Any news about that one?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Quit being a content locust.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

bandaid.friend posted:

I like the spaceship on the right, the one that looks like a duck

Ah, yes, the Skull Cruiser!

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

CommissarMega posted:

Ah, yes, the Skull Cruiser!

I think it is just a shoe that clipped out of ship in hyperspace

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Sectopod posted:

Only 6 years since they sold and released the Starfarer, the dedicated refueling ship.
I :lol: at all the dreams.txt from back then, on how ship refueling and the needed logistics would have deep implications on fleet/org operations.
Also typing this made me remember orgs, a concept that even backers seem to have given up.

OPERATION PITCHFORK is gonna be a blast! Can't wait to do battle with Xur and the Ko-Dan armada in Vanduul Space as soon as Star Citizer is finished and released.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Mirificus posted:

quote:

Not that, but they know if you switched servers to join a specific one. They'll know if you headed straight for your victim. They'll know if you did it more than once. They'll know a lot more about your gameplay behavior and can draw their conclusion from that.

remember when those two guys were trying to stream SC together and it took them like half an hour to get to the same pre-determined location as each other? would it even be POSSIBLE to streamsnipe in a world where it's so incredibly hard to get from A to anywhere, much less A to a specific B?

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

Mr Fronts posted:

OPERATION PITCHFORK is gonna be a blast! Can't wait to do battle with Xur and the Ko-Dan armada in Vanduul Space as soon as Star Citizer is finished and released.

Oh jfc... that too. And yet there are still no Vanduul to be seen in PTU.
That's like making a Star Wars game without any Imperial ships in it... just Rebel ships shooting each other.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Ok, so wer're talking wishlist. I want:

To wake up in my apartment, walk around in my skivvies drinking coffee while I check on the Spectrum News on my big wall screen, fuss over my exotic fish tank and admire my collection of keepsakes from all my adventures around the verse. I want to see a snow storm going on outside, go to my closet and pull out the cold weather gear. Walk to the monorail station to take a ride to the space port where I have my fleet (or part of it anyway). Take out my favourite ship and set course south for a tropical island, encountering huge thunderstorms on the way.

I'll spend a little time admiring the blue sea and beach in a nice little grass hut bar, then head inland througfh a jungle road to a dirt track arena where there is a small stadium with wheeled vehicle racing - no holds barred. Have a fun afternnon there and then take my ship to fly north again over temperate forests blown about by storm force winds to a snow capped mountain, follow a river to it's source high above the snow line and do some rock climbing at the waterfall that has both running water and icicles, behind the waterfall is a cave with ancient tribal/alien drawings to marvel at. I'll put on my skis and have my NPC co-pilot drop me at the top of a piste to ski down, he can pick me up at the bottom (what do I pay him for anyway?)

Then it's back to the ship to fly home to my nearest city where I'll eat dinner in a fancy restaurant or take in a show before heading home with some tat and trinkets I bought on my days journeys.

Tomorrow I think I'll check that star up there that shines through my window as I lay on my bed, bcuase if you can see it, you can get to it.

Oh.. and I want it all in buttery smooth VR - thank you.

Aahh.. the simple life.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Awww that's so... wait VR???!!

You loving content locust.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So his ideal game content is some boring snowbird's winter vacation.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

this cat doesnt seem to know that its a cat?!?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bumble He posted:

Maybe it just read that tigers really like water is is trying harder than most to find its roots?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

To wake up in my apartment, walk around in my skivvies drinking coffee while I check on the Spectrum News on my big wall screen, fuss over my exotic fish tank and admire my collection of keepsakes from all my adventures around the verse. I want to see a snow storm going on outside, go to my closet and pull out the cold weather gear. Walk to the monorail station to take a ride to the space port where I have my fleet (or part of it anyway). Take out my favourite ship and set course south for a tropical island, encountering huge thunderstorms on the way.

I'll spend a little time admiring the blue sea and beach in a nice little grass hut bar, then head inland througfh a jungle road to a dirt track arena where there is a small stadium with wheeled vehicle racing - no holds barred. Have a fun afternnon there and then take my ship to fly north again over temperate forests blown about by storm force winds to a snow capped mountain, follow a river to it's source high above the snow line and do some rock climbing at the waterfall that has both running water and icicles, behind the waterfall is a cave with ancient tribal/alien drawings to marvel at. I'll put on my skis and have my NPC co-pilot drop me at the top of a piste to ski down, he can pick me up at the bottom (what do I pay him for anyway?)

Then it's back to the ship to fly home to my nearest city where I'll eat dinner in a fancy restaurant or take in a show before heading home with some tat and trinkets I bought on my days journeys.

Tomorrow I think I'll check that star up there that shines through my window as I lay on my bed, bcuase if you can see it, you can get to it.

Oh.. and I want it all in buttery smooth VR - thank you.

Aahh.. the simple life.

star citizen changed my existence, i am living the high life now!

hanging out in my penthouse-apartment on the 180th floor of a crystaline scyscraper:

taking off in my idris from the planteary spaceport:

seducing a space princess with my dashing, swashbuckling appearance:

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 30, 2021

.random
May 7, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So his ideal game content is some boring snowbird's winter vacation.

My favorite part is that all of it takes place on one planet. They never actually go into space, but they do think about space briefly before going to bed. That is my ideal space game, too :allears:

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Mirificus posted:

Not that, but they know if you switched servers to join a specific one. They'll know if you headed straight for your victim. They'll know if you did it more than once. They'll know a lot more about your gameplay behavior and can draw their conclusion from that.
Log files exist exactly for that reason and that's what Harry essentially said. Everyone has the same protection as a streamer. That they are listed as an example for griefing makes no difference.

Pretending not to know this, or that CIG doesn't do log checks to collect actual evidence, does not help your argument at all

if there's one thing I'm certain of, it's that the company that has implemented nothing certainly has a finished functioning logging module

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Mirificus posted:

Dear lord, this is so sad in so many ways

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Jokes on him. He'll encounter a ski patrol only wearing chaps with lust on their mind.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/tXdql2R.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bumble He posted:

My cat's cool with water and baths but not as much as this weirdo