Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I never play new PC games, and I dodge so much overhyped garbage as a result

Remember bioshock infinite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I like to have one game that actually utilises my computer installed at a time to justify its existence while I mostly use it to play HOMM3 and GameCube ROMs, currently trying to finish death stranding but it's more fun building perfectly optimised ziplines than it is navigating the Kojima plot (it is a very good game and I like the dumb plot btw I just like ziplines even more)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Why does every PC gamer play games that are at least 15 years old?

Got my $2k rig better boot up morrowind.

Cuz they're waiting for new graphics cards that haven't even been released yet because if you can't play on the absolute highest graphical settings then what is even the point?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

I played Quake 2 when it first came out, waaay back in 1997 with my trusty old 3DFx Voodoo card. Playing it again in 2021 with full ray tracing is pretty drat cool.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

signalnoise posted:

I did a search and found one called gunsmith simulator but it has a release date of TBA and one of the videos for it says planned release date Q4 2020, so

What you're looking for a "World of Guns : Gun Disassembly"

It's free to play with a shitload of DLC that comes out to a little less than 300 USD total, and the game has 16,000 reviews on steam.

I downloaded it once to see how realistic/thorough it was and yeah it's pretty detailed. I was a gunsmith for a few years and I didn't notice anything missing.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
exploded views of guns are very cool. do you have a particular site or book that you'd recommend?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

My PC is from 2014 and on it I play games from 1992 (Ultima 7) to 2021 (Valheim). But most of the time I play a game that's more-or-less from 2004 (WoW Classic).

EDIT: I'd love to see a series of pie charts, one for every year, that showed what % of my game time that year was spent on games from which year. That'd be fun to look at.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 30, 2021

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Phigs posted:

My PC is from 2014 and on it I play games from 1992 (Ultima 7) to 2021 (Valheim). But most of the time I play a game that's more-or-less from 2004 (WoW Classic).

lol, my pc is from 2011 (i7-2600k) and i've extended it's functional lifetime by adding an SSD and installing a 1070 GTX Ti and a nice shiny new power supply. i like being able to play pretty much every PC game every made, though Thief 98 is my current favorite.

e:i played through Doom 2016 on my i7-2600k and was getting around two hundred frames per second. that's astonishing for a decade old CPU, coupled with a five year old video card.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 30, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's cool that with a little tweaking you can play pretty much every game from 1990 to 2021 on your computer instead of having to buy it a third time on your current console's store or just are locked out of playing it forever

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

i enjoy consoles just as much as the next person; the PS3 had the most unique catalog of it's generation, but yeah, having access to the complete catalog of PC gaming is nice.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

PinheadSlim posted:

What you're looking for a "World of Guns : Gun Disassembly"

It's free to play with a shitload of DLC that comes out to a little less than 300 USD total, and the game has 16,000 reviews on steam.

I downloaded it once to see how realistic/thorough it was and yeah it's pretty detailed. I was a gunsmith for a few years and I didn't notice anything missing.

See this is what I'm talkin about, find something that people can nerd the gently caress out on and make what is basically an extremely detailed virtual museum of that poo poo where people can disassemble expensive things and the sales will rack up like clockwork. There's a whole movement for mechanical simulation games, and if you ask me, it's about time.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

tango alpha delta posted:

exploded views of guns are very cool. do you have a particular site or book that you'd recommend?

Not really, the few times I needed an obscure diagram I'd buy it for cheap somewhere online or borrow a book from an older (better) gunsmith. Sometimes the manufacturers would have them on their websites for free too

Unless you want to flip through a real book with detailed diagrams then maybe give that game a try. I saw they have the VSS Vintorez in there and I have no idea where I'd find a diagram for something like that lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Evil Genius 2 comes out tomorrow and reviewers are like "too bad the gameplay is the same as the early 2000s classic" while gamers are like "well at least the gameplay is the same as the early 2000s classic"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Rutibex posted:

the story in fallout 3 is the worst part. your supposed to just wander around exploring the wacky random poo poo until you get bored

That was also the last time Bethesda allowed players to skip story forward by stumbling into places, resulting in endless amount of complaints from players for "accidentally skipping parts of the story and now nothing makes sense".

Most of the DLC was also garbage with the exceptions of that one which fixed the original stupid ending, and that other one with the swampy mansion which was kinda cool setting but riddled with bullet sponges.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Evil Genius 2 comes out tomorrow and reviewers are like "too bad the gameplay is the same as the early 2000s classic" while gamers are like "well at least the gameplay is the same as the early 2000s classic"

The original one had some big problems in that area did they fix that at least and make it less punishing and units less dumb?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I never play new PC games, and I dodge so much overhyped garbage as a result

Remember bioshock infinite?

Yes it was excellent, i played through it 3 times. Like if you wanna take shots at overhyped garbage I'm here for you :blastu: but there are far more egregious examples

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

tango alpha delta posted:

i enjoy consoles just as much as the next person; the PS3 had the most unique catalog of it's generation, but yeah, having access to the complete catalog of PC gaming is nice.

People can prefer consoles if they want but its the worse experience with games, no arguments to be made

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

You seem baffled by this so let's try an analogy:
Say you bought a 4k tv that can only play 4k movies and shows from it's subscription service.

Well PC is not like that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yes it was excellent, i played through it 3 times. Like if you wanna take shots at overhyped garbage I'm here for you :blastu: but there are far more egregious examples

Something awful thinks it is the worst game ever, the rest of the world remembers it fondly

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

People can prefer consoles if they want but its the worse experience with games, no arguments to be made

it would help your argument if you actually made an argument

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

There are a lot of fun parts in Bioshock Infinite, it isn't a completely egregious failure. Somethingawful also thinks Bioshock 1 is a huge piece of poo poo too somehow when its a great game with an unmatched aesthetic.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

because those games kick rear end dude

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Maintaining a pc seems like an unnecessary chore that would just get in the way of my gaming

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Maintaining a pc seems like an unnecessary chore that would just get in the way of my gaming

Let me guess, you last interacted with a PC in the 90s.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

fridge corn posted:

putting a pc together from parts is a really fun activity

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

sebmojo posted:

Something awful thinks it is the worst game ever, the rest of the world remembers it fondly

That's really true, the hate boner for it on here is extreme.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

You would squeeze more sekiro into your game time on a pc than a ps4

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You would squeeze more sekiro into your game time on a pc than a ps4

I am playing sekiro on my ps5. It loads very fast and runs perfectly

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Vic posted:

that is a dumb as gently caress retort

maybe a graph will help you understand

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Vic posted:

No that's not true I had a laptop in the early 10s that i would play civ5 on that kept eating hard drives until i just said gently caress it I dont care anymore

Shibawanko posted:

putting a pc together from parts is a really fun activity

I'm a professional mechanic of nearly 20 years. I put things together from parts almost every day. I'm over it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

I am playing sekiro on my ps5. It loads very fast and runs perfectly

Look at the big brag boaster over here with his ps5

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Look at the big brag boaster over here with his ps5

If you could build me a PC that runs games as well as my PS5 for the same price that'd be cool, but you can't

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

signalnoise posted:

If you could build me a PC that runs games as well as my PS5 for the same price that'd be cool, but you can't

I could build you the most expensive pc ever and PlayStation still gets all the Yakuza games first woooooo :woop:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

signalnoise posted:

that is a dumb as gently caress retort

no you're a dumb retort

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

signalnoise posted:

If your PS5 could run half the games my PC could that be great, but it caaaan't! (Also something about console games costing all the earth and never going on sales). Seriously tho, take your platform war bullshit to a subforum that wants it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fridge corn posted:

My PC requires no more maintenance than a console, but I guess if you're prone to visiting sketchy websites to download pictures of horse dicks or whatever then you may need to perform more maintenance than normal

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

signalnoise posted:

this is where consoles beat PC's hands down, no contest. at the end of a long day, i don't want to have to gently caress around just to play a game; with a current gen console, the experience is pretty good.

e:there are going to be tradeoffs on both sides, i enjoy gaming on both PC and console because they offer different, but fun experiences.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I could build you the most expensive pc ever and PlayStation still gets all the Yakuza games first woooooo :woop:

They're all released and Yakuza 7 was released at the same time on Xbox, Playstation, and PC in the US, your attempt to troll here is uninformed and also childish

Serephina posted:

If your PS5 could run half the games my PC could that be great, but it caaaan't! (Also something about console games costing all the earth and never going on sales). Seriously tho, take your platform war bullshit to a subforum that wants it.

What the gently caress are you even doing in this thread

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

PC Gaming is for nerds

Consoles are for relaxing and laughing while you game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

signalnoise posted:

They're all released and Yakuza 7 was released at the same time on Xbox, Playstation, and PC in the US, your attempt to troll here is uninformed and also childish

What the gently caress are you even doing in this thread

What about Judgement?