Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How mad are you going to get when I call your favorite Pokemon unviable?
5: I will set the entire cloud ablaze with the heat of my rage!!!
4: I will be quite rankled, and will have no problem telling you as much!
3: I'll be a little upset, and might debate you on it.
2: Disappointed, but I know my faves are bad.
1: I don't know gently caress about poo poo.
View Results

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

At this point it's obvious where this is going but what the hell, let's drive the point through, C. Round 1 is already mean, Round 2 is bullshit and deserves the worst treatment it can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Finally, a chance for Hitmonchan Beedrill Porygon wait what was I talking about again?

Seriously though, go full ham. Or record a video of you going full ham, just to drive the point home.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

C. Round Two is bullshit. Answer in kind.

this

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Maybe as a halfway compromise use C, but use it to show off Pokemon who need a ton of support from limited resources to function well and Pokemon who you didn't show off in the normal LP due to being red exclusive etc.

Like don't limit it to Caterpie runs or whatever, but show off what other electric types can do if they got Thunderbolt etc.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zore posted:

Like don't limit it to Caterpie runs or whatever, but show off what other electric types can do if they got Thunderbolt etc.
I think that's the plan. Even some of the absolutely garbage Pokemon get significantly better after tradebacks.

For example: Tangela becomes the only Pokemon with access to both Sleep Powder and Amnesia. :getin:

Edit: The method for getting it is loving wild, too. You need a male Slowbro with Amnesia and a female Azumarill, specifically in Crystal because it expands the list of what counts as an egg move. Then breed them for a male Marill with Amnesia. Breed that with a female Jumpluff for a male Hoppip with Amnesia. Breed that with a female Tangela, and you'll get a baby Tangela with Amnesia, which you can then trade back to RBY, and thus to Stadium.

Chain breeding!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 23, 2021

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Not to pile stuff on for this, but seeing that Tangela chain-breeding explanation it'd be cool to see a re-evaluation of the tier rankings adding in all the stuff GSC trading can get you!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Soup du Jour posted:

Not to pile stuff on for this, but seeing that Tangela chain-breeding explanation it'd be cool to see a re-evaluation of the tier rankings adding in all the stuff GSC trading can get you!
Unfortunately, that would end up being pretty homogeneous. Aside from a few notable standouts (Tangela as mentioned, Alakazam and Gengar getting the elemental punches), most interesting egg moves are Gen 2 exclusive, or are already TMs in Gen 1. There are definitely enough examples to talk about, but not enough for an entirely new tier list.

That opens the question of "what about a tier list with infinite-use TMs", but that's also homogenous enough that I'll already be showing off all the cool examples. Electabuzz with Thunderbolt (TM), Ice Punch (Gen 2), Psychic (TM), and Body Slam (TM) is loving hilarious and you can bet your rear end I'll be getting in on that, but there are only so many ways I can say "yeah, Psychic and Body Slam are still good".

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 23, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I want to see you style on round 2 but in as many goofy ways as possible. I want an Alakazam who uses nothing but elemental punches, a surfing Raichu, that kind of thing.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
A brief cross-posting from the Simpsons Meme thread in GBS:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Mega-Rayquaza. (The only Pokemon ever banned from Ubers.)

A little late to the party on this one, but Zacian-Crowned has since joined Mega-Rayquaza in the hallowed halls of 'too bullshit for the bullshit tier'. Meanwhile, poor Zama-C finds itself languishing at the very bottom of the tier; it's considered worse than its base form, which itself is considered completely non-viable and only an Uber by technicality. To put it into perspective, 'mons like Tentacruel, Xatu, and Shuckle are considered more viable in Ubers than either form of Zamazenta. SHUCKLE.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 30, 2021

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Shuckle owns

so that makes sense :black101:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

A little late to the party on this one, but Zacian-Crowned has since joined Mega-Rayquaza in the hallowed halls of 'too bullshit for the bullshit tier'. Meanwhile, poor Zama-C finds itself languishing at the very bottom of the tier; it's considered worse than its base form, which itself is considered completely non-viable and only an Uber by technicality. To put it into perspective, 'mons like Tentacruel, Xatu, and Shuckle are considered more viable in Ubers than either form of Zamazenta. SHUCKLE.

Okay, I'll bite, why is the giant dopey shield-wolf less viable than his base form?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Randalor posted:

Okay, I'll bite, why is the giant dopey shield-wolf less viable than his base form?

My guess is that Crowned form means dedicating Zama's item slot to it, which doesn't give enough of a boost to justify losing an actual held item.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I could definitely see that. Crowned Shield Zamazenta only gets +30 to each of its Defense stats (and loses 10 Speed as a trade-off), which reduces damage by like... 11%. I think. Math is hard. The addition of the Steel type can help because Steel has a good chunk of resistances but it can also hurt, and you still have a defensive tank whose only option for recovery is Rest. (vs. its base form at least having Leftovers as an option)

Zamazenta really suffers from being a defensive Pokémon that shares a base with Zacian, imo.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

LiefKatano posted:

I could definitely see that. Crowned Shield Zamazenta only gets +30 to each of its Defense stats (and loses 10 Speed as a trade-off), which reduces damage by like... 11%. I think. Math is hard. The addition of the Steel type can help because Steel has a good chunk of resistances but it can also hurt, and you still have a defensive tank whose only option for recovery is Rest. (vs. its base form at least having Leftovers as an option)

Zamazenta really suffers from being a defensive Pokémon that shares a base with Zacian, imo.

Speed doesn't affect damage at all, but being slow tends to be a detriment regardless due to moving after an opponent and potentially getting defeated before you can do anything. I guess it was intended as more of a tank, but the aforementioned no self-healing really hurts and means it doesn't really function as one, and Pokemon tends to favour fast attackers like Zacian anyway.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

And also Zam doesn't have access to Body Press, which is a fighting move that goes off your defense stat, and it would be utterly bonkers on him if he could learn it. But he can't. GameFreak just decided to dunk hard on the shield dog for some reason.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

it's the price you have to pay for buying the version where you can catch the sheep

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

And also Zam doesn't have access to Body Press, which is a fighting move that goes off your defense stat, and it would be utterly bonkers on him if he could learn it. But he can't. GameFreak just decided to dunk hard on the shield dog for some reason.
Zamazenta | Regigigas
:smith::respek::smith:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hey right now Regigigas is tearing up VGC due to being bonkers tanky under Dynamax, and has plenty of options to remove Slow Start. Max Strike from Giga Impact that also reduces the opponent's Speed by 1 is a hell of a move.

But yeah, Zacian-C is a monster due to getting +1 Attack when it enters battle and Fairy/Fighting coverage is real nice, especially since it can tear through Dynamax mons with little issue. Zamazenta got shafted real hard, even without the Crowned form, due to not being that great of a defensive mon and also not having the moveset to work with. Zacian also has a similar issue, but gets just enough good moves and also lower coverage doesn't matter as much when you 2HKO most of the tier.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

They made a super defensive Fighting-type legendary, and a Fighting-type move that keys off defense, and didn't give it to him. :psyduck: There's also zero reason for Behemoth Bash to not be a Defense-based attack too; as it stands it's literally the exact same move as Behemoth Blade, just taking up more space in the code. Zama gets nothing to play with.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Crosspeice posted:

Hey right now Regigigas is tearing up VGC due to being bonkers tanky under Dynamax, and has plenty of options to remove Slow Start. Max Strike from Giga Impact that also reduces the opponent's Speed by 1 is a hell of a move.

Oh neutralizing gas . . .

And if you want bonkers tanky, I've seen a few Zygarde coil sets that, after a few max quakes, can end up at something silly like +3/+2.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Geemer posted:

it's the price you have to pay for buying the version where you can catch the sheep

You can catch Wooloo in both versions though? Not sure what this is referring to.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

You can catch Wooloo in both versions though? Not sure what this is referring to.

Oh whoops. I skipped this gen because it looked like poo poo. My sister was adamant it was a Shield exclusive.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Geemer posted:

Oh whoops. I skipped this gen because it looked like poo poo. My sister was adamant it was a Shield exclusive.

Sword and Shield are a bit of a step down from Gens VI and VII, but there's still a lot of fun to be had, and I like that Nintendo is finally adding extra content through DLC rather than making an entire second game. It's not as bad as Gen V, certainly. I'd recommend it, if you like Pokemon to any great degree.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

EclecticTastes posted:

Sword and Shield are a bit of a step down from Gens VI and VII, but there's still a lot of fun to be had, and I like that Nintendo is finally adding extra content through DLC rather than making an entire second game. It's not as bad as Gen V, certainly. I'd recommend it, if you like Pokemon to any great degree.

But gen V was the best in the series?

Sword and shield felt more like a tech demo for a pokemon mmo rather than a full fledged pokemon game to me. I would put gen 2 and its abysmal level curve above it. Hell, I'd put gen 4 above it.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

FoolyCharged posted:

But gen V was the best in the series?

Sword and shield felt more like a tech demo for a pokemon mmo rather than a full fledged pokemon game to me. I would put gen 2 and its abysmal level curve above it. Hell, I'd put gen 4 above it.

Seeing what they do with the gen4 remake and the new legends idea will be the tell. Sword and shield definitely were a tech demo with the start, much like diamond and pearl were god awful and tech demos when they came out as they tried to work out how to use the DS. Seeing what they do now that they have a mature engine and structure to build off of will be interesting.

The gold and silver remakes were amazing with platinum being a good attempt to fix the problems in pearl and diamond. But besides the physical and special split those two games were boring and seemed empty with so many things missing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pull up, thread, pull up. I’ll get out a new update tomorrow.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

UCS Hellmaker posted:

seemed empty with so many things missing.
I think that's just the series in general from gen3 onwards, really. A lot of the time there's just some neat, if sometimes quaint, feature that becomes totally absent at the next generation.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Pull up, thread, pull up. I’ll get out a new update tomorrow.

and thank god because i cannot sustain this whitenoise shitposting, i'm just not smart enough nor talented enough with photoshop

just running this poo poo into the ground

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd certainly continue the argument in the main Pokemon thread, but this is the Stadium LP, and none of those gens have Stadium games so who cares!

God I can't believe they let Stadium die after 3 games. Colosseum and XD were good but they were totally different despite using the same models (which they kept using even on the Wii - and god did they look dated) and Battle Revolution was a gigantic disappointment that got absolutely nothing of why people like the Stadium games right.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd certainly continue the argument in the main Pokemon thread, but this is the Stadium LP, and none of those gens have Stadium games so who cares!

God I can't believe they let Stadium die after 3 games. Colosseum and XD were good but they were totally different despite using the same models (which they kept using even on the Wii - and god did they look dated) and Battle Revolution was a gigantic disappointment that got absolutely nothing of why people like the Stadium games right.

I honestly hope that with the new pokemon snap and them building on the sword and shield engine they make a new stadium game. Hell it doesnt even need to be a physical release due to pokemon home, you can easily build it to be digital and have it be able to do everything using home services. Just having something that can be more battle orientated and not gimmicky like the battle tower stuff would be fun. Trying out mons that you never would think of or having to use rentals that are limited was what made stadium fun for me, not just seeing stuff in 3d.

BR was bad and never felt fun, it was such a swing an a miss disappointment from what came before.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yeah honestly when they released the original Red and Blue on the 3DS Virtual Console I was kind of hoping they would put the Stadium games on the Switch or something and let you use your 3DS as a Transfer Pack. Or hell just interface with Home, or something. I made a nice busted "break the game" team in Blue, and I have nothing at all to use them on. I'd have love to bring them to Stadium and get some revenge.

Missed opportunity!

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Well tbf. You can remake them in pokehax, and use project 64 and the nrage input plugin to play them on pc. But it's not the same, and complicated.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I really need to get this update out today, before I lose days or weeks to Disco Elysium Final Cut.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

PMush Perfect posted:

I really need to get this update out today, before I lose days or weeks to Disco Elysium Final Cut.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It bothers me that Mitecian and Glercian are based off the end of the pokemon's names and not the beginning like all the others.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ok, master ball voltorb is pretty cool. I dont know how i forgot that.

And yeah, a new stadium game actually balanced and designed around using rentals would kick rear end.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

WrightOfWay posted:

It bothers me that Mitecian and Glercian are based off the end of the pokemon's names and not the beginning like all the others.

It may be to evade possible confusion. Magcian could be Magnemite or Magneton, while Kingcian could be Kingler or Seaking (if first and last halves of the names are used interchangably, as they are here).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I just checked out Crowned Zenta for myself. Not only did they not give it Body Press, they didn't even give it the same base 170 to the primary stat that they did to Zacian? They really hate that poor bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I remember getting Colosseum for my birthday as a kid, thinking it would essentially be Pokemon Stadium 3. It ended up being a gigantic disappointment. I wanted to use any Pokemon I like, not be limited to a select few!