Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You probably entered it with caps lock on or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i can guarantee you i didn't

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

some fucker put a @ at the end of my password
i guess ive just been autopiloting up until now and the first time i consciously typed it i forgot that minor change

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/thenatewolf/status/827373444241174528

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hahahhaaha

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like this is one place I have an advantage as an extremely disorganized person because I always assume I'll misenter or immediately forget passwords and I'm extremely paranoid about typing them in when I set them if it's a situation where I can't use a password manager and they would be hard to recover.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

how can you paste a password wrong from your password manager?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
drat, i was really hoping your drive committed suicide again

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

infernal machines posted:

drat, i was really hoping your drive committed suicide again

no suicide requests in yospos :P

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
theres only a couple of passwords i enter by hand and if i consciously think about what one is before i enter it then i forget it until i forget i remembered it again

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

Got to use those 100 wpm for something.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Last Chance posted:

how can you paste a password wrong from your password manager?

Easy to do if some buffoons decide that PRIMARY & CLIPBOARD should overwrite each other.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

been a while since we've had actual linux news in here

finally obs studio works in wayland

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mycophobia posted:

theres only a couple of passwords i enter by hand and if i consciously think about what one is before i enter it then i forget it until i forget i remembered it again

I don’t think I’m capable of entering my Apple password on anything other than an iOS keyboard

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

apparently my pi server has 8 exabytes of free space

neat

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
congrats! :)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

hbag posted:

apparently my pi server has 8 exabytes of free space

neat

You'll need all that for Windows update

https://twitter.com/hilare_belloc/status/770749525686362112

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

been a while since we've had actual linux news in here

finally obs studio works in wayland

now we can get all of those fun linux games on twitch like uh... tux racer, maybe glxgears? idk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
best times on glteapot

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

speed run to get the gl demos working correctly on your new linux install
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkBr5aQfxtI

animist
Aug 28, 2018
re: the editor chat a few days ago. I have used all of vim, emacs, jetbrains, and vs code at work this week, for different things, and they all work fine. just use whichever one is closest to hand imo

of course everything needs vim bindings but they all have pretty good plugins for that

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

we don’t post like that here, you gotta aggressively defend an arbitrary position to the death. shalom

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
man vs code

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Gentle Autist posted:

we don’t post like that here, you gotta aggressively defend an arbitrary position to the death. shalom
              /

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

the JetBrains stuff is really growing on me. been using codewithme heaps to pair with another dev so we can generate garbage code together. in some ways it’s better than in person cause we can be working on two different files at the same time but with interfaces etc updating instantly for both of us.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, with proper structured and long-term homogeneous a more purpose-built proper ide is always good. i think the discussion mostly centered on how vscode is taking over the same kind of area that emacs and to some extent vim used to rule.

i ended up pondering it a bit, and having used emacs for 20 years and now being mostly vscode i honestly think the thing emacs could do to close the gap is the one thing that would *never* happen. it is not that elisp is *that* bad, that the central abstractions are pretty poor, or that tramp isn't quite where vscode is. it is that redisplay, fontlock, regions, and generally ui is so inflexible for what is otherwise a flexible editor. so emacs should just get an electron front-end (see, told you it'd be something that'll never happen).

it is not like vscode does a ton of graphics, but it is huge just being able to format mixed text interfaces really freely, pop some divs, add decorations in a flexible way, and, very importantly, use css to have extension decorations layer in a reasonably controllable way. not like emacs was ever very fast (getting there now, but by means of not having gained a significant feature in a decade), so taken entirely by itself it should have been a no-brainer to just leapfrog to the richest available cross-platform way of declaratively formatting an editor.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i installed vscode few years ago and it was hell to use, because of the write-once profile-never javascript i assume, like scrolling documents was impossible because it was so laggy

maybe i should give it another try, otoh i do fine with vim and emacs and if i used a gooey program it'd be an ide

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

matti posted:

i installed vscode few years ago and it was hell to use, because of the write-once profile-never javascript i assume, like scrolling documents was impossible because it was so laggy

maybe i should give it another try, otoh i do fine with vim and emacs and if i used a gooey program it'd be an ide

yeah, i don't think the lag has gotten better. i don't really notice it (as notably emacs was far laggier for most of its existence), but people who do will no doubt not be happy.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, i don't think the lag has gotten better. i don't really notice it (as notably emacs was far laggier for most of its existence), but people who do will no doubt not be happy.

i did were using a 350e bargain bin laptop back then though

but you shouldnt need a souped up thinkpad just to loving edit code

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

matti posted:

i did were using a 350e bargain bin laptop back then though

but you shouldnt need a souped up thinkpad just to loving edit code

vim is always there for that, and always was the performance choice. historically (going pretty far back granted) emacs traded performance for sophistication though, and there is a lot of room for editors which are just marginally better at the cost of less than perfect performance.

e: and obviously rms leadership is to blame for emacs not even *trying* to go anywhere. he even publicly hates on real flagship cool stuff like org-mode, calling it insular and monolithic because it is a tightly integrated fairly large bit of software (where his preference is that it should be 3000 individual .el files that you as a genius programmer load an arbitrarily chosen subset of).

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 2, 2021

matti
Mar 31, 2019

also i will never edit a settings.json

you are a graphical program, never make me have to look up documentation just because you're too unfocused to write an ui

it's like, worst of both worlds

go gently caress yourself!!

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Apparently emacs is getting native compilation of elisp which ought to show some form of improvement.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Ocean of Milk posted:

Apparently emacs is getting native compilation of elisp which ought to show some form of improvement.

there is some subjectivity to this, but to my mind this is precisely the opposite of the kind of thing emacs needs.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ocean of Milk posted:

of what? not being emacs?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

there is some subjectivity to this, but to my mind this is precisely the opposite of the kind of thing emacs needs.

on the one hand yes, on the other hand "obsessively optimizing the poo poo out of something when the actual next step should probably be switching to something meant for purpose" is what got us our lovely every-gui-program-is-actually-chrome-running-javascript world today and who would argue against that :)

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Javascript is not the bottleneck of web-technology based software. It's the bloated DOM and CSS. Run a browser built with symbols through valgrind for analysis sometime.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Dont Touch ME posted:

Javascript is not the bottleneck of web-technology based software

, anymore. which was the point.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

like a bunch of very smart people sunk a huge amount of time and effort into making fast js vms to the point where i wouldn't be shocked if v8 was the single best language vm in history, maybe only beaten by a jre (i don't know much about it), that's pretty much inarguable. i just wish instead they'd spent that effort coming up with something better rather than optimizing the hell out of something fundamentally lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Dont Touch ME posted:

Javascript is not the bottleneck of web-technology based software. It's the bloated DOM and CSS. Run a browser built with symbols through valgrind for analysis sometime.

The bloated DOM, which is normally created and rendered by JavaScript