Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That's weird for them to do. Its not on kiranico at all

e: regarding the khezu ig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Snake Maze posted:

I don't see it, unless you consider poison or paralysis to be "wounding 2.0" too.

Poison and paralysis don’t weaken all of the monster while active which is what blights do (and give the monster the kinda annoying flashing highlight). Fire ups flinch damage in addition to the actual fire damage, thunder adds KO damage to non-bludgeon weapons, water weakens hard parts more, and ice slows monsters entirely.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Oh wait it is, its just the only khezu weapon without "khezu" in the name. my bad

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I tooled around with HBG last night and I have some thoughts:

-Even with Silkbind Evade - I think the limited mobility coupled with the increased mobility of monsters allowing them to stay in your face kind of excludes any HBG that isn't scatter / sticky (or maybe shrapnel if you can stay in midrange). Things were just too squirreley to keep in critical range of Pierce. Pierce works really well for LBG since they can wirebug laterally around a monster and generally have an easier time moving about and lining up the shot/distance, HBG not so much. It looks like Ballistics is out from Mind's Eye now, so I don't know how you rectify that or give HBG a bit more critical range to play with unless you make the charged shot a bit easier on the critical range.

-I really, really like the Charge shot, it just feels so at home on the HBG and you can still use shield/guard while holding charge shot. With the extra damage per shot and slowing down to pick your shots it does a lot to keep your ammo efficiency up. I basically don't have to craft basic ammo anymore, but I can see sticky/cluster/wyvern still needing to make more mid-match.

-Shrapnel is really interesting. It's got a very very pronounced close range deadzone but acts basically like scatter from about 20 ft out. It seems like it might be a good fallback ammo type for scatter guns for times when the monster is out of reach (i.e. Khezu)

- Normal and elemental shots still feel kind of Meh to me. Like I'm sure they do fine in practice, but I don't feel like they have the impact / damage that getting in a monsters grill and shotgunning them in the face does. When I'm using normal I feel like I'm punching time until the next wyvernheart/wyvernsnipe.

-I'm kind of unimpressed with the silkbind counter - the damage is okay, but the counterattack is slow to get out and vulnerable to getting smacked out of.

- Is it just me or does it look like all your bullets hook off to the right when shooting?

I loving love it still for shotgunning monsters in the face but man it kind of bums me out too because I see a lot of potential there.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Saint Freak posted:

Are you killing the right rank khezu? I don't know how accurate the wiki is at the moment but it looks like it's the HR khezu parts you're after.

Why would they make it HR exclusive :psyduck:

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

- Is it just me or does it look like all your bullets hook off to the right when shooting?
The deviation in this game is back to how it was pre-world, where instead of messing with your aiming reticle every time you shoot it instead deviates to the left or right after travelling some distance.
You can skill it out or adjust your aiming for it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I've been trying out the light bowgun on Rise (first MonHun I ever paid for) and just when I was getting a little bored of it and ready to try more melee stuff, I learnt how to wirebug sticky bomb onto monsters' backs and this is amazing. :hellyeah:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Also while I'm on a tear about the ranged weapons, they ruined the bow now that you aren't an eldritch sorcerer with access to portals to the coconut dimension that you unleash over the monsters. New Arc Shot mechanic is lame even if everything else about the flow of Bow is better.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't bought this yet, maybe later this week. Instead I'm puttering around in the demo to feel out the weapons.

Do you need to sheath your weapons to use the wire bug or is there a button combo I'm missing? I really enjoying doing the upward wire bug move followed by a downward attack, especially with the great sword.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't bought this yet, maybe later this week. Instead I'm puttering around in the demo to feel out the weapons.

Do you need to sheath your weapons to use the wire bug or is there a button combo I'm missing? I really enjoying doing the upward wire bug move followed by a downward attack, especially with the great sword.

With the weapon out you do wirebug specific attacks, of which things like Greatsword and hammer get a wirebug jump/launch attack available to them, but not everyone. With the weapon sheathed LZ + X gives you the wirebug hop that you can then do into drop attacks or dropping Barrel Bombs on top of enemies.

Edit: vvvvvv [shoves IG nerd into a locker]

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 30, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
[extremely lone Insect Glaive player voice] Insect Glaive silkbinds also make you jump (either forwards or, get this, backwards)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Bleck posted:

thirty-eight hours into this game and I still haven't seen the cool new big spider what the gently caress!!!

forty-five!!!!!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Am I understanding gunlance correctly here:

Wide: Use charged shots
Normal: Use the slam-fullburst, and wyrmstake
Long: Also use slam-fullburst, and wyrmstake

Are you not ever supposed to use normal non-charged shots? I have a good feel for each gunlance attack but I don't really know how I'm supposed to be prioritizing them.

I also don't really get why we have wyrmstake. It's powerful, but in terms of gamefeel it's another slow chargey attack in a weapon that didn't really need one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm just happy I can finally quickly mass-grill steaks.

btw the biggest flaw in this series from its inception is that Well-Done steaks are considered perfectly cooked. What the gently caress. Fire whoever decided that. Medium-Rare or gtfo

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Fruit monkey and sleepy otter dragon in tough contention for best new monster

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Augus posted:

btw the biggest flaw in this series from its inception is that Well-Done steaks are considered perfectly cooked. What the gently caress. Fire whoever decided that. Medium-Rare or gtfo

You're cooking wild caught meat, yo. Gotta make sure everything in it is dead or enjoy your tape worms.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Augus posted:

My headcanon is that in this universe they're saying it's colloquially "well done", as in you did it well. I know it's not true but sometimes we lie to ourselves to help the world make sense.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Tender Bender posted:

Am I understanding gunlance correctly here:

Wide: Use charged shots
Normal: Use the slam-fullburst, and wyrmstake
Long: Also use slam-fullburst, and wyrmstake

Are you not ever supposed to use normal non-charged shots? I have a good feel for each gunlance attack but I don't really know how I'm supposed to be prioritizing them.

I also don't really get why we have wyrmstake. It's powerful, but in terms of gamefeel it's another slow chargey attack in a weapon that didn't really need one.

That's pretty much right, although long can do well with charged shots too. Uncharged shots are pretty vestigial, although using them in midair to cancel a blast dash into a midair hailcutter can be useful, especially for long which has a stronger wyvern fire. Also just using a bunch in midair to ascend vertically is fun + cool, albeit not actually useful for anything beyond a 1000 IQ midair stall to dodge attacks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

My headcanon is that in this universe they're saying it's colloquially "well done", as in you did it well. I know it's not true but sometimes we lie to ourselves to help the world make sense.

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a holdover of an odd translation or a matter of limited characters space from the old games?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
What's the deal with Crit Draw 3 only giving +40% affinity? I'm not far enough in the game to have it yet but it was always a key GS skill and it seems like now it's not, if it doesn't even proc 50% of the time.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Fruit monkey and sleepy otter dragon in tough contention for best new monster

all the new monsters are pretty dope. I'm partial to swordsbear

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Boco_T posted:

What's the deal with Crit Draw 3 only giving +40% affinity? I'm not far enough in the game to have it yet but it was always a key GS skill and it seems like now it's not, if it doesn't even proc 50% of the time.

It’s really bizarre. They left in all the other affinity skill unchanged, but Crit Draw was just too powerful.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

That's pretty much right, although long can do well with charged shots too. Uncharged shots are pretty vestigial, although using them in midair to cancel a blast dash into a midair hailcutter can be useful, especially for long which has a stronger wyvern fire. Also just using a bunch in midair to ascend vertically is fun + cool, albeit not actually useful for anything beyond a 1000 IQ midair stall to dodge attacks.

Thanks! I never realized you could do that in midair, I saw it in videos but thought it was part of blast dash, which I haven't gotten yet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ethiser posted:

It’s really bizarre. They left in all the other affinity skill unchanged, but Crit Draw was just too powerful.

Crit Element was killed as well.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

so I randomed into bow for this iteration, which I know nothing at all about. I know charge and release is the well known style of bow, but since repeated shots climb the levels is this always true? For bows like rapid 1/rapid 1/rapid 3 it's pretty obvious you'd want to bypass the poo poo 1s by charging, and for bows like rapid 2/rapid 2/rapid 3 would you want to keep doing rapidfire type shots?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Using vanilla shells is always fine in any situation where it's what you feel comfortable fitting in. If you try to marathon chain full bursts and you're not already a speed runner pro you'll eat a lot of dirt. If you *can* land it then by all means. :tipshat:

Poke shell poke shell until reload is Gunlance's version of 100% uptime Lance, or shell shell reload(to avoid the wyrmstake.) The damage may seem low but that's unresisted part breaking monster exhausting consistent uptime. It adds up fast vs faceplanting or whiffing. Wyrmstake seems always worth doing now if you have good enough reads/skill to land it, the damage of the finale blast seems to be even huger than before. Wyrmfire is the same. The big difference is that wide wyrmstakes deliver stun build up if they hit the head.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

You're cooking wild caught meat, yo. Gotta make sure everything in it is dead or enjoy your tape worms.

I should be allowed an entire squadron of tape worm Buddies and I should be able to name them all and craft adorable outfits for em, too.

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
who let jurya into this game. who authorized this

why him and not a better swamp monster (gobul!!) since a bunch of cool tri monsters and zones are back?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You can also fast wyrmstake now, but you have to give up rocket jump to do it so l o l.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Doomykins posted:

Poke shell poke shell until reload is Gunlance's version of 100% uptime Lance, or shell shell reload(to avoid the wyrmstake.) The damage may seem low but that's unresisted part breaking monster exhausting consistent uptime. It adds up fast vs faceplanting or whiffing.

This is true, but once you get the timing down for charged shells you can fire one in only a fraction of a second longer than it takes for an uncharged shell, with a significant damage boost and the option to follow up with a fast wyrmstake. Obviously not an option if you're taking blast dash, but if you have charged shells they're almost always worth using.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Probably dumb question but does the monhunrise edition pro controller work with the game? Box says it only works with software that lists pro controller compatible on it and either I'm blind or rise doesn't list that on the box.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Iymarra posted:

Probably dumb question but does the monhunrise edition pro controller work with the game? Box says it only works with software that lists pro controller compatible on it and either I'm blind or rise doesn't list that on the box.

It’s just a regular pro controller with a fancy paint job.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

alarumklok posted:

so I randomed into bow for this iteration, which I know nothing at all about. I know charge and release is the well known style of bow, but since repeated shots climb the levels is this always true? For bows like rapid 1/rapid 1/rapid 3 it's pretty obvious you'd want to bypass the poo poo 1s by charging, and for bows like rapid 2/rapid 2/rapid 3 would you want to keep doing rapidfire type shots?

So the thing with the bow is you keep hammering ZR quickly you cycle up the charge levels. Once you hit that top level charge shot you start over, but can keep the top charge rolling quickly for two more shots at a higher stamina cost if you hit Y twice. Since you use ZL for aiming, all your wirebug stuff is on the right bumper.

Honestly I more or less wouldn't worry about going out of your way charging your shots to skip a level. If you have the shot take the shot and charge the next level. If you don't have the shot charge / dodge until you have the shot. If you have that screwball bow that starts at charge one with pierce/scatter 4 and goes down to pierce/scatter 1 and charge level max I maybe wouldn't charge at all, just quickshot and scoot.

Also don't discount your melee attack with bow. With close range coating and the wirebug buff it actually does a shocking amount of damage and you can use it to score tail cuts.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 30, 2021

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

It’s just a regular pro controller with a fancy paint job.

And stupid follow up but like, they do work with rise, yeah?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Snake Maze posted:

if you have charged shells they're almost always worth using.

if you have charged shells, i.e if you haven't unlocked blast dash

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
My insect glaive is now a glowing rifle with a bayonet. GOAT.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
How does the lottery work? The guy says every purchase during a sale comes with a complimentary ticket and the tutorial popup says that as well but I've never gotten one and have just been buying one for 500 zenni everytime and using my two amiibo for the free rolls each day. Is it just a chance at a ticket and confusingly presented and I've just gotten unlucky or just plain wrong?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Iymarra posted:

And stupid follow up but like, they do work with rise, yeah?

Yeah

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Wow I finally just caught up with the thread.

Game is incredibly good and I'm enjoying more than World, and I enjoyed World. I also like that it's more stylized and not the gritty/real style of World.

So I'm maining hammer and it feels really good. Maybe I'm more patient than in World, but I really enjoy ducking in and out, booping the snoot, retreat, wait for an opening, boop, etc. And I absolutely clowned on Rathios, despite remembering having a really hard time with it in World.

The village HP thing honestly feels nice, simply because a longer fight wouldn't really add to the experience. I'm patient and methodical, I use the various critters around me to blind and distract, and so I'm not getting messed up regularly.

Couple hammer questions: I have no real clue what the strength and courage settings do and I should probably work that out. Also, I remember having a poison hammer in World and loved poisoning monsters as I fought them, but just read buildup is per hit, not per damage, so is it even worth it on hammer or should I just aim for highest damage/affinity? The monkey hammer is absolutely wrecking things, but there's a hammer that looks like a hellish pizza cutter that poisons and I waaannnttt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

So the thing with the bow is you keep hammering ZR quickly you cycle up the charge levels. Once you hit that top level charge shot you start over, but can keep the top charge rolling quickly for two more shots at a higher stamina cost if you hit Y twice. Since you use ZL for aiming, all your wirebug stuff is on the right bumper.

Honestly I more or less wouldn't worry about going out of your way charging your shots to skip a level. If you have the shot take the shot and charge the next level. If you don't have the shot charge / dodge until you have the shot. If you have that screwball bow that starts at charge one with pierce/scatter 4 and goes down to pierce/scatter 1 and charge level max I maybe wouldn't charge at all, just quickshot and scoot.

Also don't discount your melee attack with bow. With close range coating and the wirebug buff it actually does a shocking amount of damage and you can use it to score tail cuts.

this is good info, thanks. I had no idea about the Y thing either that's a pretty dramatic boost to the topheavy charge bows. I know I've been joining fights by jumping off the pooch and arrow swiping but I'll have to give it more attention if you can cut tails with it.