Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Grapplejack posted:

Oh god is it the zombie deer thing, did that finally cross species

prepping for the zombie apocalypse by setting up zombie traps around a salt lick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This sounds like the plot of a bad Direct to Netflix zombie horror movie...

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

are the super seniors gonna take classes even after obstensibly graduating??? or are they gonna work a shift at the grocery store and punch out for b ball practice?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pingui posted:

Sounds like a lot of epidemiologists need therapy:

Remember all the optimists who thought it would be different than the Flu due to the slower CV mutation rate?

I guess their predictions never account for "Open Everything Mindset" and political greed/incompetency.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grapplejack posted:

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

what in th e gently caress

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Grapplejack posted:

the what

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

etalian posted:

Remember all the optimists who thought it would be different than the Flu due to the slower CV mutation rate?

I guess their predictions never account for "Open Everything Mindset" and political greed/incompetency.

The big point of that is that its not inevitable and that what is required is better vaccine coverage into poor countries. This is a rare moment where corp interests do align there, so there is hope in this regard.

obligatory lmao this will never happen though

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

twoday posted:

the what

It's called chronic wasting disease, it's a prion disease like mad cow except it's in wild deer populations. There's been a lot of worry about it being able to cross species because it is insanely hardy

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

twoday posted:

the what

a prion disease found in deer that is like a wasting illness.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

twoday posted:

the what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKQa9davydY

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

it's okay - anyone with the TRUMP prion disease is effectively immune to others, right?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The big point of that is that its not inevitable and that what is required is better vaccine coverage into poor countries. This is a rare moment where corp interests do align there, so there is hope in this regard.

obligatory lmao this will never happen though

Yeah companies like Pfizer would lobby/ bribe to make sure development countries couldn't produce it at low cost.

And until you get herd immunity in development nations the light speed mutation rate will continue. So pretty much rich countries are screwing themselves in the long run.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Mr. Pizza posted:

what in th e gently caress

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

this looks like a japanese video game monster

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grapplejack posted:

It's called chronic wasting disease, it's a prion disease like mad cow except it's in wild deer populations. There's been a lot of worry about it being able to cross species because it is insanely hardy

it's been here in wisconsin for decades, even with the state encouraging hunters to cull affected deer and a lot of hunters coming from out of state to join the hunting season we still haven't managed to eliminate it.

the three big areas it affects in the USA are wisconsin, the rockies, and northern appalachia

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/index.html

quote:

The CWD prion has been shown to experimentally infect squirrel monkeys, and also laboratory mice that carry some human genes. An additional study begun in 2009 by Canadian and German scientists, which has not yet been published in the scientific literature, is evaluating whether CWD can be transmitted to macaques—a type of monkey that is genetically closer to people than any other animal that has been infected with CWD previously. On July 10, 2017, the scientists presented a summary of the study’s progress. in which they showed that CWD was transmitted to monkeys that were fed infected meat (muscle tissue) or brain tissue from CWD-infected deer and elk. Some of the meat came from asymptomatic deer that had CWD (i.e., deer that appeared healthy and had not begun to show signs of the illness yet). Meat from these asymptomatic deer was also able to infect the monkeys with CWD. CWD was also able to spread to macaques that had the infectious material placed directly into their brains.

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 16:01 on Mar 30, 2021

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

welp, never going outside again

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

etalian posted:

this looks like a japanese video game monster

tired of this epidemic of broken monitors

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I assume that once it jumps to the primate, it can jump primate-to-primate just through their disgusting aerosolized fluids?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Foo Diddley posted:

welp, never going outside again

You can go outside just fine. This only means that you can't ever eat meat anymore.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/cwd-animals.html

quote:

Scientists think CWD spreads between animals through contact with contaminated body fluids and tissue or indirectly through exposure to CWD in the environment, such as in drinking water or food. CWD affects many different species of hoofed animals including North American elk or Wapiti, red deer, mule deer, black-tailed deer, white-tailed deer, Sika deer, reindeer, and moose.

Like other prion diseases, CWD may have an incubation period of over a year and clear neurological signs may develop slowly. Deer, elk, reindeer, sika, and moose with CWD may not show any signs of the disease for years after they become infected. As CWD progresses, infected animals may have a variety of changes in behavior and appearance. These may include:
  • drastic weight loss (wasting)
  • stumbling
  • lack of coordination
  • listlessness
  • drooling
  • excessive thirst or urination
  • drooping ears
  • lack of fear of people

It is often difficult to diagnose a deer, elk, or moose with CWD based on these symptoms alone because many of CWD symptoms also occur with other diseases and malnutrition. CWD is always fatal.

From the CBC article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/mystery-neurological-disease-nb-coulthart-1.5959280

quote:

What are the symptoms?
Symptoms include changes in behaviour, sleep disturbances, unexplained pain, visual hallucinations, co-ordination problems and severe muscle and brain atrophy.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

NeonPunk posted:

You can go outside just fine. This only means that you can't ever eat meat anymore.

nah, the weird tumors won't look nearly as horrifying after they've been ground up and made into hot dogs

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I assume that once it jumps to the primate, it can jump primate-to-primate just through their disgusting aerosolized fluids?

Just stay three feet away and you're good.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

you're going to want to place a surgical mask over your brain. for better protection, wear a fitted, two-layer cloth mask over the surgical mask.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve talked to a lot of people on rl today ans a sense of dread is kicking in a bit

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

twoday posted:

I got the hepatitis A, tetanus, rabies, diphtheria, and whooping cough vaccines all in one day about 6 months ago and all that did was make me sleepy; if that wasn’t enough to trigger an immune response to my tattoos, I will be surprised if the covid vaccine does

Btw; anecdotally and unscientifically, I’ve been looking for “vaccine tattoo” on Twitter for twenty minutes and I haven’t seen a single person complain about this happening, just a bunch of people sharing and resharing a single Instagram video of a lady with lots of tattoos saying that it’s possible for this happen, that people sometimes get immune reactions to their own piercings and tattoos (which I can’t find anything on google about). In contrast, searching for “vaccine upset stomach” or “vaccine headache” reveals that people loooove to tweet about every minor side effect they have, so fwiw, it doesn’t seem to be a very common reaction at all.

Sorry for not following up on this last night, but this is where I saw the initial report of the tattoo issue:

kreeningsons posted:

gf got the second Moderna shot and said that one particular tattoo she got 14 years ago started burning almost immediately. seems to be doing fine now though.

kreeningsons posted:

My fever showed up about 12 hours after my second Pfizer. Then chills. Went to bed for the night and was luckily able to sleep off the worst of it, but woke up to my head feeling like it’s been split open. It’s mostly gone now ~30 hrs after getting dosed. Up to two weeks after my first shot I did have a little soreness in my arm that seemed to flare up if I engaged in anything strenuous or was really tired, I think that’s gone though.

My gfs tattoo was itchy and she had a low grade fever up to two weeks after her second Moderna. Plus arm soreness. Really glad she got it cause if her reaction to the vaccine was that prolonged who knows what the actual virus would have done.

and also this:

Flambeau posted:

A coworker got another tattoo a week before her second Moderna dose, then ~4 days after the shot her tattoo started burning and hurting so bad she abruptly left work in tears. No idea whether they're related. That's my anecdote.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

i've heard of this happening to a few people, even with pretty old tattoos

wonder if it's like supercharging some inflammatory immune response that is usually just going on all the time at a background level for people with tattoos

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Not a prion disease according to people who have been researching it since 2015, but not good because they still haven't figured it out after five years:

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/researcher-says-brain-disorder-in-n-b-may-be-linked-to-environmental-exposure-1.5363850

quote:

"What we can say with confidence is if we assume that the cluster has a single cause, that cause is not prion disease," he said in an interview earlier this week. "It has been ruled out in enough people that we are no longer considering this to be a top candidate."

According to New Brunswick health officials, there have been 35 cases in the Acadian Peninsula area in the northeast of the province and eight cases in the Moncton area. Symptoms include dementia, muscle spasms, atrophy and a host of other complications. The first case dates to 2015 and five people with the unknown syndrome have died.

Coulthart said many disorders have symptoms that are similar to CJD, but he has not seen anything like the New Brunswick cluster before. "It's possible that other cases like this have shown up elsewhere, but the thing that is particularly noteworthy is the clustering phenomenon we have seen in New Brunswick.

"We have not seen over the last 20-plus years a cluster of diagnosis-resistant neurological disease like this one," he said, adding that it's possible there have been other cases in the province that have avoided detection.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Buncha city boys itt just learnin' bout this now

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Real Mean Queen posted:

“Vaxzevriabodyelse with this garbage and keep the good poo poo for people you care about”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lmaoing at the optimism of this graph

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“with at least one dose”

lmao

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Not a prion disease according to people who have been researching it since 2015, but not good because they still haven't figured it out after five years:

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/researcher-says-brain-disorder-in-n-b-may-be-linked-to-environmental-exposure-1.5363850

Another fun wild disease that they haven't figured out yet is STARI. It behaves almost exactly like a rapid fire lyme disease but is specifically not caused by the same bacteria. In fact, they're not sure what causes it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

euphronius posted:

I’ve talked to a lot of people on rl today ans a sense of dread is kicking in a bit

what why

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

:hmbol:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cases going undown

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sorry for not following up on this last night, but this is where I saw the initial report of the tattoo issue:

and also this:

Don’t lip fillers cause a problem with moderna too

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

euphronius posted:

Have they considered that covid is over and that they should get out and stretch their legs?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Have they considered that covid is over and that they should get out and stretch their legs?

I mean we are in an office so yes

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

etalian posted:

Yeah companies like Pfizer would lobby/ bribe to make sure development countries couldn't produce it at low cost.

And until you get herd immunity in development nations the light speed mutation rate will continue. So pretty much rich countries are screwing themselves in the long run.

My point was the sliver of hope is that corps want their workers not sick with covid because its a pain tin the rear end and interrupts productivity, so they may help support vaccination efforts in those countries because that's where the raw materials and low cost labor is. Yes i understand that this is a longshot, but no one is happy with covid loving up supply chains all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i ran across some hunters while backpacking in Colorado during the fall of 2017

they were terrified of getting CWD and were convinced that any day it would infect some poor hunter and the media wouldn’t care about them, then the disease would spread

they had an Alex Jones feel to them