Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

its that easy folks

Just buy low

sell high

duh

Time the markets brah ezpz

pmchem posted:

whoa, wait, what? sofi etf-maker? please explain in gory detail exactly what its capabilities are and how that works.

in related ARKX news

A nice break from her usual deep, galaxy brain strategy of "Buy more $TSLA and $SQ"... I guess?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Valicious posted:

What do people think about BYDDY? They’re a Chinese electric car company that Buffet is super hot on, owning an 8.2% stake. They’re making 35-foot electric buses for California that passed reliability tests with flying colors.
https://seekingalpha.com/pr/18228369-american-made-all-new-byd-k8m-35-foot-electric-bus-aces-fta-bus-reliability-test

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/03/26/looking-for-a-chinese-electric-vehicle-stock-just/

Sure, they’re an OTC stock, but they look good. I’d just really love other opinions before I buy.
https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/BYDDF

Munger isn't super hot on them. He likes management and thinks they are overpriced, but is loyal to them so he is holding. He even said he wouldn't buy them at this price.

quote:

A tendency to stick
During the meeting, a shareholder asked specifically about the "very large paper gain" in the BYD position and how Munger decides to hold on to a stock or sell some.

Munger pointed out for the first five years that Daily Journal held BYD's stock, it "did nothing." Last year, the stock quintupled.

"What happened was that BYD is very well-positioned for the transfer of Chinese automobile production from gasoline-driven cars to electricity-driven cars," Munger said. "You can imagine it's in a wonderful position. And that excited the people in China, which has its share of crazy speculators. And so the stock went way up."

He said that since the Daily Journal admires the company and likes its position, they have "a tendency to stick." He also said they'd have to pay "huge taxes" to the federal government and the state of California if they sold.

"On balance, we hold on to certain of these positions when normally we wouldn't buy a new position," he said. "Practically everybody does that. One of my smartest friends in venture capital is constantly getting huge clumps of stocks at nosebleed prices. And what he does is he sells about half of them always. That way, whatever happens, he feels smart. I don't follow that practice. I don't criticize it either."

Foma fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 29, 2021

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Thanks, I missed that part.
I just like my money doing something other than just sitting. If I just dump $1000 in index, trying to decide between VTSAX, VTIAX, or SPY. Other option is limit NDRA at 2.20 and play the buy low sell high game there

Foma posted:

Munger isn't super hot on them. He likes management and thinks they are overpriced, but is loyal to them so he is holding. He even said he wouldn't buy them at this price.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Sorry I wasn't on SA earlier but I've been laughing heartily at this dogshit list all day :allears:

Baddog
May 12, 2001
"One of my smartest friends in venture capital is constantly getting huge clumps of stocks at nosebleed prices. And what he does is he sells about half of them always. That way, whatever happens, he feels smart. I don't follow that practice. I don't criticize it either."

A good chunk of this thread is as smart as one of munger's smartest vc friends, lol.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1376592573083570189

On the one hand: Whatever makes number go up
On the other hand: I like the name Volkswagen :smith:

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Ugh, was hoping for at least a bit of a move down today on GME.

The worst spot now- do I close out down 50% on my 4/1 put or do I let it ride and :pray: it tanks over the next 3 days?

Either way I'm wrong.

e: eh, got into it completely as a gamble writing off the money as a likely loss, let's let it go.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 29, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Is that drat hippie van ever coming out?

They've been prototyping it for a decade.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Red posted:

If it's an accidental leak maybe it's just an april fools joke that launched early. Also I did not click on the article.

POSTING

Red
Apr 15, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

If it's an accidental leak maybe it's just an april fools joke that launched early. Also I did not click on the article.

POSTING

I bought a handful of VWAGY at $32 last week, and I feel good about it.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/RampCapitalLLC/status/1376608139219451904?s=20

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

Would you expect to see them pick up a bunch today and see the tickers of each increase? Because my SPCE holdings are still down today and it's on the list.

Lockheed had a good day, but they've been trending up for a few weeks now.
I've been interested in buying into them (as low risk long term bet with nice dividends) and SPCE (potentially more short term gamble) for a while, but leaning away from SPCE lately. I can see them doing really well once they got the space tourism up and running, but then I just keep thinking how they're toast if a single rocket blows up.

cgeq fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 29, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

cgeq posted:

Lockheed had a good day, but they've been trending up for a few weeks now.
I've been interested in buying into them (as low risk long term bet with nice dividends) and SPCE (potentially more short term gamble) for a while, but leaning away from SPCE lately. I can see them doing really well once they got the space tourism up and running, but then I just keep thinking how they're toast if a single rocket blows up.

Lockheed's not going anywhere, but look at their performance, and how their value dipped after election day. They're part of the military industrial complex, and their perceived value is tied to politics and such.

That said, I mean, they're a reliable company, so they'll be worthwhile, it just depends on what price you can catch them at.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Red posted:

This is dumb as poo poo because in 30 years it will be a lovely tongue in cheek name when every new car is electric.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I'm assuming it's that dumb thing where they "rebrand" to get some free publicity on the news then go back to business as usual. Remember IHOb? Yeah, neither does anyone else.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Wifi Toilet posted:

I'm assuming it's that dumb thing where they "rebrand" to get some free publicity on the news then go back to business as usual. Remember IHOb? Yeah, neither does anyone else.

They changed it back to ihop?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Has it ever occurred to you that $PRNT might be used to PRINT money

Checkmate to you, goons. :smug:

Also LOL at ARKX having 8.47% in Trimble and also containing the ARK 3D Printing ETF which contains 4.59% Trimble

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, just quit my job today so I'll be able to start posting and talking about stuff in here again! Should I just start day trading for a living? Whatsa wash sale again?

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, just quit my job today so I'll be able to start posting and talking about stuff in here again! Should I just start day trading for a living? Whatsa wash sale again?

Welcome home, you have always belonged here :)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's when you take the hedgefunds to the cleaners.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

ARTPUP posted:

Hope you bought some MX (Magnachip Semiconductor)! An offer was made to take the company private for $29/share. Stock is currently at $26/share. Many think the company is worth more, $32 share and there could be a bidding war with others. Sounds like a good gamble to me...

I did! Only 100 shares and got out on Friday with a decent profit. Didn't want to hold it for 6 months waiting on the deal to finalise for a few more dollars a share. Figured the cash could be reinvested elsewhere for better results.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

that hwang / archegos blowup is at least giving us some memes

https://twitter.com/mark_dow/status/1376863991977308161?s=20

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Wifi Toilet posted:

What the hell, lol

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Is that drat hippie van ever coming out?

They've been prototyping it for a decade.

I wanna know this too, since it's an EV that I'd actually buy, from the prototypes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
AMTI says gently caress you and also here's 2.5M shares to dilute your holdings, bitch

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I'm seeing lots of red numbers. This seems bad.

Xegaus
Sep 27, 2006
King of nothing!
Red numbers just means buy more so when those numbers go green, your green number is bigger :kheldragar:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Xegaus posted:

Red numbers just means buy more so when those numbers go green, your green number is bigger :kheldragar:

I agree. gently caress off with this NDRA spike, I had a big buy order in for $2.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Red posted:

I'm seeing lots of red numbers. This seems bad.

thats just what number looks like while it is charging its super jump

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mad Wack posted:

If you hold down your character ticker will flash red and green when you jump it will be twice as high.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Elysium posted:

I agree. gently caress off with this NDRA spike, I had a big buy order in for $2.

Thank you for your service, long may today's run last.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

What's the best way to capitalize on this super shortage of available homes around the country? I have a position in UFPI but I feel like there's a better way

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

Video games taught me that things flash red before they die, though

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Syrinxx posted:

What's the best way to capitalize on this super shortage of available homes around the country? I have a position in UFPI but I feel like there's a better way

Sell your house

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Syrinxx posted:

be a bank and get unlimited fed money to buy up all the houses and rent them out for 4x what a mortgage payment would be

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Maybe a stupid question, but why is everyone buying houses all of a sudden?

In my head, if people are buying, that means they aren’t renting anymore or they sold their other house. This makes their prior rental or home they owned available for sale/rent.

Are rich people just buying up all the homes for investment properties and either flipping them or renting them out?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

nwin posted:

Are rich people just buying up all the homes for investment properties and either flipping them or renting them out?

more or less, yes. it's not so much rich people as institutional investors

the stories are ubiquitous of normal humans trying to buy a home to live in and being outbid by a faceless LLC who pays in cash 100k above the asking price and no contingency

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 30, 2021

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

nwin posted:

RIch people and mortgage interest rates real low if you have good credit: 15 year you can squeak under 2%, 30 year ~ 2.25%

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
We bought our home nearly three years ago and house shopping was pretty horrible. It seemed like every house on the market had a dozen bids in place within a week of going on the market. I cant even hazard a guess how many of the homes we looked at had all the tell tale signs of being flipped. Fresh marble counter tops, new light fixtures, a fresh coat of paint and a 20+ year old roof that would need replacing on day one seemed to be the most common combination. All wrapped up in an asking price 30%-50% higher than the value of surrounding homes. And these werent high end homes either, they were frequently 1,500-2,000 sq ft homes in middle class suburbs of Dallas like Garland and Mesquite.

I have no clue whats going to happen with the housing market. I cant imagine its going to be good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

nwin posted:

In my head, if people are buying, that means they aren’t renting anymore or they sold their other house. This makes their prior rental or home they owned available for sale/rent.

People are buying and people are refinancing because interest rates are so low.