Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's also the ningen which is a fairly recent ocean cryptid which is supposedly about 20 to 30 metres long and is often depicted like this:

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

This is clearly a very lost Fresno Nightcrawler and I would absolutely love to buy the children's picture book he is from.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

30 meters as long as the largest blue whales. Blue whales being he largest animal ever to exist. That thing would have to weight at least a 100 tons. I'm no kaiju biologist but I think it would be pretty difficult for something that large to walk around on just two legs

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

FreudianSlippers posted:

30 meters as long as the largest blue whales. Blue whales being he largest animal ever to exist. That thing would have to weight at least a 100 tons. I'm no kaiju biologist but I think it would be pretty difficult for something that large to walk around on just two legs

On an ice floe no less.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

fresno nightcrawlers aka the sisterhood of the travelling pants

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean the ocean does have things like this guy in it: https://youtu.be/IPRPnQ-dUSo

I feel like this guy should count as a cryptid.

It looks like a tyranid.

Those deep see camera videos always show crazy monster poo poo down there.
Look at this video, just this giant comes out of nowhere
https://youtu.be/AwndNqjMlIk?t=42

I was thinking about the books I had as a kid about monsters and mysteries and stuff and that reminded me about one of my favorite bullshit fakes ever, the Ica Stones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJtIm4jgAFQ
Basically, a guy claimed to find all these stones with things from the future and it turned out to be made by a local with a dentists drill and baked them in poop to make them look old. Thing is they're still held up as evidence of ancient aliens and civilizations.

Also we're all old here, most of us grew up in the 70s or 80s, and there was a lot of monster related books specifically aimed at kids at this time. I remember having two that I looked at all the time specifically about monsters. one was a small red book i got from schoolastic and the other was this

I read them both over and over until they fell apart and i started becoming interested in tanks and planes and especially submarines.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Mar 29, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh man I had that one too! So much of my childhood was spent obsessively reading stuff like that despite being terrified by half the stuff in it :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

There were another two books in that series:

They reprinted all three last year (with new forewords) so they should be super easy to find if anyone wants them

I had this hardcover edition when I was a kid which was a collection of all three books:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Those Usborne books absolutely set me up on the road to owning tons more occult/paranormal volumes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

EasilyConfused posted:

On an ice floe no less.

Maybe the ice is the actual cryptid

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

FreudianSlippers posted:

Blue whales only have two fins, seems to check out to me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh man I had that one too! So much of my childhood was spent obsessively reading stuff like that despite being terrified by half the stuff in it :v:

Yup, I still have a book about aliens around here that had one image that scared me as a kid. I've always found Greys super creepy.

There were another two books in that series:

They reprinted all three last year (with new forewords) so they should be super easy to find if anyone wants them

I had this hardcover edition when I was a kid which was a collection of all three books:

Oh nice, I didn't have the other two, but I borrowed them from the school libraries as much as I could.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Books like that were crack to me when I was a kid. That and similar VHS tapes they had at the library back before libraries just gave up and started carrying regular movies.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I don't remember the title of it but I had a UFO book when I was a kid that included several paintings of notable encounters that really creeped me out but also one particular painting that was of special interest to a young and curious boy.

It was illustrating the story of Antônio Villas Boas, a Brazilian farmer who not only claimed to have been abducted by aliens but also claimed to have had sex with one of them. He claimed that after his abduction he was stripped, slathered in some kind of gel that apparently made him horny, then the beings that abducted him left the room and another being entered. He described this alien as an incredibly attractive naked woman with platinum blonde hair but bright red underarm and pubic hair. Apparently after the act was finished she seemed relieved to have gotten it over with and gestured to her stomach and the sky, which he interpreted as meaning that she had conceived and would raise the baby in space. Apparently after they dropped him off he got all pissed off because they just used him for his sperm instead of, I don't know, taking him with them or something? I don't know what his preferred outcome would have been to be honest.

Anyway, the story was illustrated with a full color two page painting that focused heavily on a full frontal illustration of the alien he slept with. When I first got the book at like 8 or 9 I always felt a little uncomfortable with that particular story and I'd often skip it when reading about aliens but I remember suddenly developing a much more keen interest around 11 or 12.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

stereobreadsticks posted:

Anyway, the story was illustrated with a full color two page painting that focused heavily on a full frontal illustration of the alien he slept with. When I first got the book at like 8 or 9 I always felt a little uncomfortable with that particular story and I'd often skip it when reading about aliens but I remember suddenly developing a much more keen interest around 11 or 12.

Was it this painting?

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Was it this painting?

That's the one. I haven't seen that picture in over 20 years. I definitely didn't remember how messed up her face was.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was always disappointed that the "sexy" aliens were tall blonder nordics in silver bodysuits. Imagine if a flying saucer landed and Earth, Wind & Fire stepped out of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrle0x_DHBM

That's the Star Trek future I wanna live in

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I was always disappointed that the "sexy" aliens were tall blonder nordics in silver bodysuits. Imagine if a flying saucer landed and Earth, Wind & Fire stepped out of it

That's the Star Trek future I wanna live in

If I remember correctly, in the early UFO period, when the were still called Contactees, they have a whole story about how the Greys were evil and the Nordics were good, and they were at war. Why stories involving Greys were always terrifying while Nordics are peaceful, unsettling but without malace. I'd think the Ashtar of Space Command is the modern version of that.

Gotta love how ingrained racism was in the 50s and 60s that even their bullshit madeup fantasies had to have white people as the heroes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Was it this painting?

Legit snorted when I saw that compared to my mental image, all I can think of is her wandering around being all "how do you do, fellow humans" :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The dude's body language in that reads to me as him being extremely weirded out and getting ready to bolt if she gets any closer.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Imagine if a flying saucer landed and Earth, Wind & Fire stepped out of it

Bold of you to assume that Earth, Wind & Fire aren't aliens that came to Earth to share funky tunes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Bold of you to assume that Earth, Wind & Fire aren't aliens that came to Earth to share funky tunes.

Earth Wind and Fire are the human supergroup developed to combat George Clinton spiriting the funkiest away and sequestering them on his mothership

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah Parliament weren't weren't even being subtle about it

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That's the one. I haven't seen that picture in over 20 years. I definitely didn't remember how messed up her face was.
I had the same book, at the time I definitely didn't mind how messed up her face was.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The dude's body language in that reads to me as him being extremely weirded out and getting ready to bolt if she gets any closer.

That is apparently in-line with the dude's account. Part of his claims is that he was sexually assaulted by her and that she made loud, bestial noises. Part of what made his story seem plausible at the time was the thought of, "Why would a man make up a story where a woman raped him? It's embarassing for him if it happened!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Really glad Fire in the Sky didn't go with the goofy "real" account the guy gave. Nobody would've remembered the movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have a graphic novel called Big Book of The Unexplained, which is sort of like comics In Search Of... because it presents everything straight without any real skepticism. That's where I first heard about Boas, and it describes him being assaulted by a "Grey in drag".

Its on comixology I think so if you have a sub there you should be able to find it. It's a good read, its got great artwork and some fascinating stories, but as I said, take them all with a grain of salt.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I just learned the Bigfoot suit used in the Patterson-Gimlin film had boobs. Those guys sat down and said "You know what this suit needs? Big tits."

EDIT:

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
On Villas Boas, obviously the sexual aspect of things gets the attention but when googling to find the dude's name I thought the reasons given by believers to defend his credibility were really interesting. At first, he was presented as a simple country bumpkin farmer, far too unsophisticated to have made something so extravagant up. Then later in his life it became apparent that he was rather upwardly mobile, even going to university and becoming a lawyer, so later accounts switched to claiming that his education made him too bourgeois and respectable to have made up such an outlandish story.

On Earth, Wind & Fire and George Clinton, they're great but the real alien come to earth is Sun Ra.

Also, there was an album put out by a "real" UFO abductee named Howard Menger that he claimed to consist of music channeled to him by the aliens. You'll be disappointed to hear that it's rather dull piano music, nowhere near as bizarre and out there as the story behind it would imply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKNAT4rItko

stereobreadsticks has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Mar 31, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That reminds me that the leader of one the UFO cults, I think its the Raeliens, was a failed musician but one of the core beliefs of the cult is that his music is actually the most popular music in the universe. Something that he well happily tell you, or let his channeled alien contact tell you.

Channeling is like the lowest of the low of the paranormal grifts. You put on a silly voice and claim you're contacting the spirit of some ancient spirit that tells you some ancient knowlage, or that some crackpot belief is actually true or some other bullshit. The most famous is that Vedic Indian text that is supposed to be from like 40,000 years ago that describes the Hindu gods fighting each other in space ships. Though most things that use it as a source forgot to mention that its completely made up bullshit.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

If Platypuses weren't real they would absolutely be cryptids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNoQvjlmGdk

"Okay, so it's kind of like an otter, but it has a duck bill and webbed feet. Also they're venomous and they lay eggs."

They sound so implausible, yet here they are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmvc0DZJM-I

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If Platypuses weren't real they would absolutely be cryptids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNoQvjlmGdk

"Okay, so it's kind of like an otter, but it has a duck bill and webbed feet. Also they're venomous and they lay eggs."

They sound so implausible, yet here they are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmvc0DZJM-I

they were actually thought to be a hoax when first discovered and sent to British naturalists. a reverse cryptid!

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
The discussion of the platypus kind of reminded me of Thomas Jefferson's own cryptids, mastodons and giant lions/ground sloths in the American West. Jefferson was interested in fossils for a few reasons and he was particularly fascinated by the mastodon fossils discovered at the delightfully named Big Bone Lick in Kentucky. The most significant discovery attributed to Jefferson is the Jefferson's ground sloth, whose bones were discovered at a cave in West Virginia and shipped to the president, who at first believed them to be something like a lion, only 3 times larger than actual lions.

It's worth noting at this point that the idea of extinction was a relatively new one at the time and Jefferson himself was not a believer. The religious objection was that God would not allow one of his creations to disappear, the secular objection was that nature was too finely balanced for any species to vanish. Which means that most people who knew about these fossil discoveries actually believed that the animals were still wandering around somewhere out west. Finding evidence that these creatures were still around was one of the primary goals of the Lewis & Clark Expedition.

Incidentally, living ground sloths still occasionally pop up as cryptid stories, particularly in South America where some cryptozoologists identify the folkloric creature known as the Mapinguari as a ground sloth.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It was illustrating the story of Antônio Villas Boas, a Brazilian farmer who not only claimed to have been abducted by aliens but also claimed to have had sex with one of them. He claimed that after his abduction he was stripped, slathered in some kind of gel that apparently made him horny, then the beings that abducted him left the room and another being entered. He described this alien as an incredibly attractive naked woman with platinum blonde hair but bright red underarm and pubic hair. Apparently after the act was finished she seemed relieved to have gotten it over with and gestured to her stomach and the sky, which he interpreted as meaning that she had conceived and would raise the baby in space. Apparently after they dropped him off he got all pissed off because they just used him for his sperm instead of, I don't know, taking him with them or something? I don't know what his preferred outcome would have been to be honest.

Oh hey, I remember reading that story in a UFO book when I was a kid as well during my UFO phase. But in my case the illustration of his partner was a bit more simpler. But she was naked and had the red pubes as I remember it.

Incidentally, living ground sloths still occasionally pop up as cryptid stories, particularly in South America where some cryptozoologists identify the folkloric creature known as the Mapinguari as a ground sloth.

Remember seeing an episode of Animal X about reports of seeing one of those. Complete with shoddy, far too dark, CGI animations of one emerging out of a cave or something.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cooked Auto posted:

Complete with shoddy, far too dark, CGI animations of one emerging out of a cave or something.

Paleontologists discovered a whole bunch of caves and cave systems in South America that were probably dug by giant sloths. In some places you can still see their claw marks on the walls and ceilings.
https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/get-lost-in-mega-tunnels-dug-by-south-american-megafauna

There's caves in the Grand Canyon that still have giant piles of ground sloth turds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDCk0Uma2m4

Giant ground sloths migrated up from South America several times, they did a little better than most of the other neotropic species which got outcompeted by North American species and died off pretty quickly in comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zArbQ4tWNZE

Yeah they died out super recently in paleontology terms, there were almost certainly still around when humans first came to North America.

Mammoths also would have still been around on the US mainland at that time and a small population managed to survive on an island off the coast of Siberia until around 1650 BC

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:31 on Mar 31, 2021

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Yeah they died out super recently in paleontology terms, there were almost certainly still around when humans first came to North America.

Mammoths also would have still been around on the US mainland at that time and a small population managed to survive on an island off the coast of Siberia until around 1650 BC

This is the most amazing thing to me. Mammoths, at least on Wrangell Island, were contemporaries with the Egyptian Middle Kingdom. That's the kind of thing that almost makes you want to give credence to some of these weird stories.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Giant lemurs also survived in Madagascar until maybe 1000 years ago and last year they found cave art which they're pretty sure depicts a giant sloth lemur.

A massive gorilla-sized lemur survived up until maybe 350 BC.

E: the Animal Planet show 'Extinct or Alive' went looking for giant lemurs not too long ago but didn't find any
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FW-FhcI8D8

The show actually did find some supposedly extinct animals in other episodes, such as the Zanzibar leopard, the Fernandina Island Galapagos tortoise and a few others. Most episodes end in failure but they have a couple wins under their belt which puts them WAY ahead of every other cryptid hunter reality TV show.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Mar 31, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Knormal posted:

I had the same book, at the time I definitely didn't mind how messed up her face was.

Hell, in that situation in TYOOL 2021, I probably wouldn't mind how messed up her face is.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wonder if we'll get any cryptid April Fools pranks in the news today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Here's a lesser known cryptid: The silky anteater

As you can see someone clearly just stuck a stuffed animal in a tree and tried to convince the internet it's a living creature.

Believe it or not some people actually bought it, as if anything that cute could really exist.

It's so obviously just a muppet, I mean how gullible would you have to be?

April Fools! Silky Anteaters are real! They were real all along! Punked!