Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

The Inhumans are the real question for me because like Agents of SHIELD basically had a ton of them in a way similar to mutants and the Royal Family are kinda sorta important and that show was real bad.

I think for that you have the advantage of no one watched Inhumans because it was really bad. Hell, at this point it exists in the cultural consciousness as a curiosity. Like, you'll have people bring it up in panels at various conventions and a whole bunch of people will make youtube videos about it but ultimately Marvel can make a movie about them in a few years (actually gently caress it, probably this year) and pretend the series never happened and it won't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, obviously they can just toss the mini series away and most people wouldn't notice. The SHIELD stuff would probably leave more of a mark but they could probably just do it and be fine. I vaguely feel like they don't want to just outright discard stuff because it kind of works against the brand that everything fits together and undermines the fan investment. But like... there's no real proof of that or anything so they can probably do whatever with the Inhumans, Defenders, Runaways, Cloak & Dagger, and anyone else.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

She's too busy playing a Powerpuff Adult right now.

And NOT Doctor Chelli Aphra, which is a giant shame.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The content of the Netflix shows is probably owned by Netflix, not Marvel. That wouldn't come with the character rights unless they specifically made the contract that way, and that seems unlikely.

They can wink wink, nudge nudge them to be the same characters but addressing the actual plot of the shows would be difficult in places where it differed from the comics.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I wonder what else we're gonna get from the Gruenwald run.. Why are they lifting stuff from this particular era?

Patton Oswalt as D-Man? Oh wait, he's MODOK already..

Gonna laugh if someone named Dell Rusk shows up..

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

The content of the Netflix shows is probably owned by Netflix, not Marvel. That wouldn't come with the character rights unless they specifically made the contract that way, and that seems unlikely.

They can wink wink, nudge nudge them to be the same characters but addressing the actual plot of the shows would be difficult in places where it differed from the comics.

I'm pretty sure marvel owns the shows, and that was one of the reasons Netflix poo poo canned them. They may own the streaming rights in perpetuity or whatever though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If Marvel can use the characters then I see no real hurdle to referencing stuff. And how much stuff would you even want to reference? If there's value in using the Defenders its in carrying over whatever fandoms they have to the MCU for your own stories, not continuing whatever stories they have. At most you might have trouble using footage in flashbacks or Legends episodes but like, why would Netflix refuse what is essentially advertising for their shows?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

STAC Goat posted:

If Marvel can use the characters then I see no real hurdle to referencing stuff. And how much stuff would you even want to reference? If there's value in using the Defenders its in carrying over whatever fandoms they have to the MCU for your own stories, not continuing whatever stories they have. At most you might have trouble using footage in flashbacks or Legends episodes but like, why would Netflix refuse what is essentially advertising for their shows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP0MXJAQhmo

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I enjoyed the first couple episodes of Invincible, and I know its consistent with the comics, but I could have done without all the gore. What is it adding to the story?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Klungar posted:

I enjoyed the first couple episodes of Invincible, and I know its consistent with the comics, but I could have done without all the gore. What is it adding to the story?

Not your daddy's Superman!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just wait until the raping starts!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

~Realism~

but actually seriously yeah that's kinda what it's for. I'm not the world's hugest defender of Invincible in general, but one of the things it does is try to contrast the bright colors / capes and heroism of classical supers with what it might actually look like when people who can punch through buildings are trying to kill each other. Or the inevitable civilian casualties during an alien invasion.

Whether or not it's successful in this is up to the viewer. I think it mostly works, but I also read it when I was an impressionable youth.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Since it's a Neil Gaiman property, they put American Gods out of it's misery, man what a show that could have been so much more. I feel even Neil didn't care as much as he should (it feels like he put more energy in Good Omens)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

achillesforever6 posted:

Since it's a Neil Gaiman property, they put American Gods out of it's misery, man what a show that could have been so much more. I feel even Neil didn't care as much as he should (it feels like he put more energy in Good Omens)

It was downhill since the shitcanned the show runner of the first season.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm not really feeling the Invincible show tbh. I can't put my finger on it but everyone feels "off" somehow. Not like, off from the comics or anything but just acting weird and slightly offputing, I dunno.

I'm not sure how I feel about the animation either. A big thing I liked in Invincible is the art, I really love that bright, blocky, colourful style and I don't think I like the animated version as much as something similar, like Young Justice for example.

Maybe I'm just being salty over nostalgia and changes or something. Invincible was one of the titles that really brought me into comics way back when and despite its flaws still avoided a lot of the things about Marvel/DC stuff that I can't stand, but I haven't read it in over a decade so maybe the version I have in my head is better than the real thing was.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Yeah after this, and Anderson and Jones both quit, there was zero reason to keep caring. They should try it again in ten years.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm not really feeling the Invincible show tbh. I can't put my finger on it but everyone feels "off" somehow. Not like, off from the comics or anything but just acting weird and slightly offputing, I dunno.

I'm not sure how I feel about the animation either. A big thing I liked in Invincible is the art, I really love that bright, blocky, colourful style and I don't think I like the animated version as much as something similar, like Young Justice for example.

Maybe I'm just being salty over nostalgia and changes or something. Invincible was one of the titles that really brought me into comics way back when and despite its flaws still avoided a lot of the things about Marvel/DC stuff that I can't stand, but I haven't read it in over a decade so maybe the version I have in my head is better than the real thing was.

What you're feeling is bad writing. the writing is bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He said he's familiar with the comic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's also the weird tonal thing of having people turned into tomato paste by the gallon but also you have goofy attempts at Silver Age villains. Pick a lane, Robert.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

There's also the weird tonal thing of having people turned into tomato paste by the gallon but also you have goofy attempts at Silver Age villains. Pick a lane, Robert.

Yeah, whimsically and casually deciding to become a villain because you wanna dress like an armadillo and steal famous baseball cards does strain credulity in a world where some emotionally stunted godling can and will show up and tear your arms and legs off with their bare hands.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Skwirl posted:

The novel is a slow burn, with Shadow only gradually figuring out about there actually being gods and what the rules of the game are. The show went balls to the wall with it in the first episode making it clear who some of the major players were and making it much more explicit what the deal was. It was also arguably more fantastical in that first episode than the entire book was!

Gaiman being annoyed that they jumped right into it was understandable. Maybe not correct, since that first season was pretty compelling even if it wasn't strictly book accurate, but understandable. However, where the show blew its own foot off was after they fired Fuller and Green, then trying to shove the genie back into the bottle and slow it down again after a full season with the pedal to the metal wasn't going to make anyone happy. Would have been better off either ponying up the cash and keeping Fuller and Green and letting them keep going nuts, or just cancel after the first season rather than screw it all up in subsequent seasons like they did.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah after this, and Anderson and Jones both quit, there was zero reason to keep caring. They should try it again in ten years.

Probably never happen, but it's the best solution remaining. :shrug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My problem with American Gods the TV show was how they decided to expand a bunch of roles so it wasn't just the Shadow Moon show but didn't actually know what to do with those expanded parts. So you ended up with a lot of characters just kind of hanging out and not doing anything really.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I thought the first three episodes of Invincible was pretty decent. I was shocked at the amount of violence at the end of the first episode but I guess that was the point of it. I like the interactions between the various super heroes. It got me thinking about buying the comics as they were discounted on comixology however, I'm an idiot and couldn't help myself so I looked up the wiki entry and gotta say it really dampened my interest.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I dont know anyone who actually finished reading Invincible. Its just a matter of when I had to jump off, like picking your spot to jump off a derailing train

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I got a bunch of the hardcover collections but i left well before the series ended and never had the hardcovers reach where I stopped reading.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I dipped like fifteen trades in but read the last dozen or so issues because I got Image stuff free at work, I liked most of the run but it did get a little bit wheel spinny for a while

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The last few issues are okay. Whole series could have been told in 1/3 the issues.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

yeah that's about where I was at. I liked Mark, I liked Atom Eve, I liked most of the supporting cast, but it trod the same ground a few times too many, so it started to feel like reading thirty years of Amazing Spider-Man in a row except it was all by mostly the same creative team throughout

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kirkmans biggest issue is stretching poo poo out way longer than it needs to be, or can even sustain being. There was an issue of walking dead that had a little joke story that was pretty much "ha ha if we're still making this after issue 100 you know we're totally creatively bankrupt," and looking back, yeah, called it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

Kirkmans biggest issue is stretching poo poo out way longer than it needs to be, or can even sustain being. There was an issue of walking dead that had a little joke story that was pretty much "ha ha if we're still making this after issue 100 you know we're totally creatively bankrupt," and looking back, yeah, called it.

Yeah, it's telling I don't know a single person who read TWD or Invincible all the way through or had a concrete reason for dropping it other than 'I got bored' which is absolutely valid, mind you, but there never appeared to be an inciting incident for lack of a better term.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I read til the end and don't really remember much about the ending aside from a few things. I fully agree that the series itself could have been handled in under 100 issues and I'm hoping the animated series will attempt that.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

I read til the end and don't really remember much about the ending aside from a few things. I fully agree that the series itself could have been handled in under 100 issues and I'm hoping the animated series will attempt that.

It's me. I'm one of the many that dipped (multiple times on several attempts). Can you spoil how it ends? I always make it a finite distance passed the BIG REVEAL and the rather brutal knock down/drag out confrontation and then I get bored or distracted.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I couldn't get into American Gods as every episode was just Shadow and Wednesday go meet a weirdo, then they go meet another weirdo, and then another. I admit I haven't read the book since 1996 but I don't remember it just being a tour.

It also lacked any real charm that Good Omens had.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I was big into Invincible for a while, same with TWD, but dipped for the same reasons as everyone else: when the series gets too long to meaningfully explore new ground, Kirkman just starts brutalizing characters you like in a variety of truly disgusting and mean-spirited ways. In TWD, everything after the prison fortress arc starts feeling heavily like a retread, and Invincible goes off the rails somewhere around the time Robot leaves mark in the Evil Universe or whatever. Those were the points I lost interest, and then I heard shortly after that Glenn gets his skull graphically crushed in front of his wife and loved ones in TWD and Eve gets her leg pulled off by Robot but can't heal herself because mAgIc BaBy or whatever and it was at that point I started to go beyond being disinterested and began to get grossed out by Kirkman's predilections as a person and author. Not to mention, Eve is probably the most interesting character with the most story and power potential in Invincible, but Kirkman never knows what to do with her (or any woman he writes; seriously his go-to moves are kill them, torture them, rape them, mangle them, depower them, ignore them, or just turn them into stoic killing machines with no interiority) so he's constantly contriving excuses to depower or ignore her.

twistedmentat posted:

I couldn't get into American Gods as every episode was just Shadow and Wednesday go meet a weirdo, then they go meet another weirdo, and then another. I admit I haven't read the book since 1996 but I don't remember it just being a tour.

It also lacked any real charm that Good Omens had.

My recollection of the book is mostly "Shadow and Wednesday go on a tour to meet weirdos, and then ending conflict is resolved offscreen by almost literally saying 'a bunch of metaphors maybe did metaphorical combat, maybe' but anyway now it's over" and, while I didn't necessarily dislike the book, it certainly made some weird choices I may not have put up with if it hadn't been from Gaiman. Also a pretty tangential subplot about some small town losing kids to an old gremlin or something?

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 31, 2021

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it's telling I don't know a single person who read TWD or Invincible all the way through or had a concrete reason for dropping it other than 'I got bored' which is absolutely valid, mind you, but there never appeared to be an inciting incident for lack of a better term.

I finished it and I liked (mostly) how it ended. But there was easily a 1/3 to maybe even 1/2 of the entire run that could likely have been cut or condensed to make for a smoother overall story. There are definitely instances where Kirkman has no idea where the plot is going to go, and it shows.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Episode three of Craptain America: Walker, Texas Good ol' boy is out.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's weird and kind lame and I didn't really like it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what was weird about it

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I thought it was funny how it turned into diet John Wick about a third of way through

Actually this episode had a lot of comedy for me, mostly stemming from Zemo. The way they incorporated more of the comic version so casually was hilarious. I'm not sure I quite buy how mellow he's acting, but it kind of makes sense when you consider he accomplished his primary objective in Civil War and the Avengers haven't really gotten back together in a concrete sense except to fight Thanos and then immediately split up again. That and the fact that Sam and Bucky weren't directly involved in the Ultron poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

site posted:

what was weird about it

I thought it was both really hurried and the pacing left no room for anything to breate, and yet also they basically repeated more or less the same conversations multiple times just to etch out who the characters were and how they were feeling, also, they completely did Walker's scenes backwards, pacing wise.

Bruhle's fantastical Zemo was definitely the highlight, and I liked some of VanCamp's effort, but I just didn't think most of it was very convincing or impactful.

That scene where she's just sort of springing out form behind shipping containers over and over again while repeatedly yelling about how litlte time they have was like a drunk history version of John Wick.