Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Pham Nuwen posted:

See, when I was listening to the episode, I imagined Griffin desperately signaling them to stop making fun of "sexy fonts" before they have another Furry Situation... little did I know they'd actually be cancelled for saying that a Korean word sounds gross.

I mean it is a Korean word that specifically refers to loudly eating on camera. Which many people think is a gross thing.

It's like being like "sorry I said that the word 'geroru' sounds gross. It is actually a Japanese word that means 'to puke.' So, it's... not gross?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

inferis posted:

The next adventure zone should be a group of focus grouped diverse people role playing as the mcelroys.

:hmmyes:

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Stroop There It Is posted:

Oh okay, that was more reasonable for people to be mad about, since clearly Sydnee hosed up in responding like this was any old Facebook fight attacking her boomer mom instead of realizing the relationship with fans is different and she had a responsibility to not call that person out like she did. Having been a member of those Facebook groups back before this happened, though, I feel like Rachel is downplaying the vitriol with which people were attacking (not that it makes the Smirls' response OK, but it does explain why they reacted inappropriately). Thinking back, IIRC people were saying that not doing a white privilege episode (which I'm sure they didn't feel qualified to do) would make them racist, but Rachel is suggesting in that thread that Mary was getting defensive about white privilege existing at all? I dunno.

It was kind of both. I think it started as a suggestion on Facebook, which they said they didn't feel qualified for, then a few fans started getting angry, and then the Smirl mom started heavily moderating and escalating the anger of the arguments and I think eventually saying some Boomer poo poo.

The fallout was that this was the incident that lead all of them to leave the fan pages, including the MBMBAM group, and several fans who had been part of the show like Rachel to be made persona non grata after having helped them run charity poo poo for past events. No one handled their poo poo well and they're probably lucky it was contained to facebook where no one cares.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Next TAZ should be in pathfinder because I am a sadist and want to hear them spend four years to try and figure THAT poo poo out

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

AndrewP posted:

Maybe collaborate with a seasoned pro or something.

I've been saying they should do this forever, it would take so much pressure off them.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Farecoal posted:

Having a non-McElroy DM sounds like a good idea to me for the next TAZ season, if there is one

agreed, hire someone who's good at this poo poo and let the brothers improv as characters.

point is, TAZ now is a huge part of their overall business and not the show to let Travis stumble through his first campaign

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

inferis posted:

When did lup out herself trans? When did she say it was an important part of her identity that she wanted everyone to know?
...Is your argument that characters shouldn't be given a trait, and the audience shouldn't know about it, unless that character explicitly talks about it as an important part of their identity??? It's a facet of her character that makes people like me, who don't get much representation where we're not depicted as tormented tragic figures, happy. You also seem to be coming from the perspective that being trans is automatically something someone wouldn't want people to know or that other people shouldn't know about them, which is a more valid assumption for our world where it means you're likely to face discrimination for it, but not in a fantasy world where there's no indication that transphobia exists.

Just Chamber posted:

Dont we kind of live in a world where you can "magically" change genders anyway? Like the science is a kind of magic compared to not THAT long ago where someone's only option was to wear the clothing of the gender they identify as. It doesn't make it any less important if it's magic, especially if even if you live in a magical world you decide to change to one gender and stay that way.
Pretty much, lol. Hormones are magic as hell.

also lol I don't think Justin's getting ~cancelled~ over this, it's clearly just a dumb thing he said without thinking that he has immediately apologized for

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

It was kind of both. I think it started as a suggestion on Facebook, which they said they didn't feel qualified for, then a few fans started getting angry, and then the Smirl mom started heavily moderating and escalating the anger of the arguments and I think eventually saying some Boomer poo poo.

The fallout was that this was the incident that lead all of them to leave the fan pages, including the MBMBAM group, and several fans who had been part of the show like Rachel to be made persona non grata after having helped them run charity poo poo for past events. No one handled their poo poo well and they're probably lucky it was contained to facebook where no one cares.
Gotcha.

thecluckmeme posted:

Next TAZ should be in pathfinder
no

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Starfinder, then. Much less complicated :haw:

E: I would love a one-off of them just trying space combat in that system. It would be two hours of nothing going by how they understood d&d 5e rules

bawk fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 30, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Mukbang is kind of a gross combination of words in the English language especially if you're pronouncing it Muck Bang like an English language person and not like someone from Korea (I've heard it pronounced a few different ways, MookBung etc etc so I dont even know the right way). And if Justin legit didnt know it was from Korea I can't blame him for thinking like that.

I dont think Justin is or would have been cancelled over this but it shows where the internet is at the moment where he felt he had to rush and make 5 posts apologising and talk about anti asian hate like he was just part of it but it's twitter, he has to get on his hands and knees or face the wrath.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

If we could get Brennan Lee Mulligan to DM a TAZ I'd be so drat happy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

inferis posted:

The next adventure zone should be a group of focus grouped diverse people role playing as the mcelroys.

So long as Griffin gets to play 9-year-old Turbo Teen Griffin McElroy from that Amnesty one-shot a while back.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

inferis posted:

One of the players will be Travis playing the role of a diverse person impersonating a McElroy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just Chamber posted:

If we could get Brennan Lee Mulligan to DM a TAZ I'd be so drat happy.

He did do the Dadlands one-shot, didn't he?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

docbeard posted:

He did do the Dadlands one-shot, didn't he?

Yeah, but he also has his own full time show. They should just play another side campaign on Dimension 20. Tiny Heist was great.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I was kind of hoping they'd show up in the upcoming D20 show Mice and Murder (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CokApJchV94), but am also pretty excited to finally see them get Grant O'Brien in a game.

It would be kind of hilarious to see them play a game under Spencer Crittenden. The clashing high energy of the McElory's vs. Spencer's would be delightful.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

thecluckmeme posted:

Starfinder, then. Much less complicated :haw:

E: I would love a one-off of them just trying space combat in that system. It would be two hours of nothing going by how they understood d&d 5e rules

God I’d love for them to try to tackle ThAc0, in like Stars without Numbers or something. Starfinder space combat is also a hilarious option. Glass Cannon struggles through it, even with David helping out.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Just Chamber posted:

Mukbang is kind of a gross combination of words in the English language especially if you're pronouncing it Muck Bang like an English language person and not like someone from Korea (I've heard it pronounced a few different ways, MookBung etc etc so I dont even know the right way). And if Justin legit didnt know it was from Korea I can't blame him for thinking like that.

I dont think Justin is or would have been cancelled over this but it shows where the internet is at the moment where he felt he had to rush and make 5 posts apologising and talk about anti asian hate like he was just part of it but it's twitter, he has to get on his hands and knees or face the wrath.

As a Korean I grant Justin one joke followed by a gong strike or oriental riff.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Casey Finnigan posted:

I mean it is a Korean word that specifically refers to loudly eating on camera. Which many people think is a gross thing.

It's like being like "sorry I said that the word 'geroru' sounds gross. It is actually a Japanese word that means 'to puke.' So, it's... not gross?"

So it’s an onomatopoeia?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

VaultAggie posted:

God I’d love for them to try to tackle ThAc0, in like Stars without Numbers or something. Starfinder space combat is also a hilarious option. Glass Cannon struggles through it, even with David helping out.

I can't decide which would be funnier: Clint having to deal with 3 dimensional hex based movement, or Griffin realizing that he has to keep track of an entire crew's worth of info

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
social media exists to beat everyone down

we do it to ourselves

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've always felt that the difference between "performative wokeness" and "virtue signaling" was intent. Someone signaling doesn't give a poo poo about the thing they're talking about, as long as people see them talking about it. Being performative means you do actually care about the thing but you're making a big deal, even if unintentionally, about supporting it.

Personally, it bugs me when cishet people loudly proclaim themselves Allies. I feel like that's a status that's given or earned through action and words instead of something you declare yourself.

That's just my interpretation and opinion though.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I think that whether you describe something as "virtue signaling" or "performative wokeness" depends on how YOU, the speaker feel about the behavior in question.

If you think it's an admirable goal but someone is trying too hard, centering themselves too much, or just has a surface-level understanding of what they're proclaiming to support, then it's performative wokeness.

If you think that someone putting pronouns in their bio is a beta SJW cuck trying to white knight for the feminazis, then it's virtue signaling and we can hear all about it on your YouTube channel.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
No bones about it, imo

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

wizzardstaff posted:

I think that whether you describe something as "virtue signaling" or "performative wokeness" depends on how YOU, the speaker feel about the behavior in question.

If you think it's an admirable goal but someone is trying too hard, centering themselves too much, or just has a surface-level understanding of what they're proclaiming to support, then it's performative wokeness.

If you think that someone putting pronouns in their bio is a beta SJW cuck trying to white knight for the feminazis, then it's virtue signaling and we can hear all about it on your YouTube channel.

This is better words than me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've always felt that the difference between "performative wokeness" and "virtue signaling" was intent. Someone signaling doesn't give a poo poo about the thing they're talking about, as long as people see them talking about it. Being performative means you do actually care about the thing but you're making a big deal, even if unintentionally, about supporting it.

Personally, it bugs me when cishet people loudly proclaim themselves Allies. I feel like that's a status that's given or earned through action and words instead of something you declare yourself.

That's just my interpretation and opinion though.

Yeah but if you drill down on a lot of what people are actually taking issue with WRT Travis it’s poo poo like “soy face” and the fact that he does poo poo with his look and behavior that’s traditionally coded as queer.

Like there’s a bunch of people who “find it obnoxious” or whatever in a way that totally isn’t :thunk: as gently caress (see my previous post on the matter) but there’s also a bunch of people who are mad that Travis is straight and legit consider him dying his hair the queerness equivalent of stealing valor. And that’s also super weird and not ok.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
they mean the same thing and which one you choose to use depends on the scansion of the poesy you are composing

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
wasn't the main reason people started getting mad at travis for performative wokeness recently the embarrassing among us monologue where he started talking about how the other players shouldn't be playing like bad people(goofing around in game) with all that's wrong in the world these days

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

wasn't the main reason people started getting mad at travis for performative wokeness recently the embarrassing among us monologue where he started talking about how the other players shouldn't be playing like bad people(goofing around in game) with all that's wrong in the world these days

no, even if you just look at SA there was already months and months’ worth of bitching about Travis before the stream

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I understand that people were complaining about travis but a lot more of it happened after that, specifically wrt him being performative/hogging the spotlight

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I could be misremembering, but isn't there some medical reason for Travis making That Face all the time rather than because he personally wants to annoy people in this thread?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

IronicDongz posted:

The recent dustup is this and the "I bet you're surprised I'm not bi" tweets, but people have had a problem with Travis for a while. He's targeted for the boys' general inclusiveness because he's more publicly doing stuff outside of their McElroy brand, and a good deal of it is inclusive by design. So him supporting those things separate from his brothers makes him performative, I guess.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

docbeard posted:

I could be misremembering, but isn't there some medical reason for Travis making That Face all the time rather than because he personally wants to annoy people in this thread?
is this bait

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

No, it was when some people talked about how it would be cool if Still Buffering did an episode about white privilege and the Smirl family lost their poo poo.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought it was more like a small group of fans was suggesting topics like that and they said "yeah, no, this isn't really that kind of show, we're trying to be a lighthearted funny little show, getting into heavy politics is not really our wheelhouse at all" and the fans were like HOW DARE YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

is this bait

Naah, if it were bait I'd just ask why people had a problem with a perfectly ordinary smile.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

BDG should DM/GM the next TAZ season.

Also Graduation is ok, forgettable at worst. Y’all need to chill.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Entropic posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought it was more like a small group of fans was suggesting topics like that and they said "yeah, no, this isn't really that kind of show, we're trying to be a lighthearted funny little show, getting into heavy politics is not really our wheelhouse at all" and the fans were like HOW DARE YOU
that's how I remember it, and to reiterate about the mbmbam facebook fandom, they will ban you if you mention beans

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

docbeard posted:

lmao it's not a medical condition

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wonder if that's just the smile someone makes when they don't feel like they've really figured out how to do a normal one and just way over commit to showing the teeth. I feel like I made that face a decent amount as a thirteen year old and being super self-conscious of how my smile might look.

Also, want to see that shower pumpkin.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I think "performative wokeness" is mostly harmless, but I can understand being frustrated by it when Travis uses trauma-sensitive language to talk about how he's a middle brother so having to repeat himself is "triggering" or that scolding people for playing a video game wrong is "establishing boundaries." People struggle to have these concepts taken seriously, so I can see being annoyed when somebody appropriates them for something frivolous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

people get mad that straight folk paint their nails, it's a dumb world.