Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

drat, I did not realize Bogaerts has been this good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I don't think it's a hot take to say Lindor isn't in the Trout/Betts tier. He's still a really good player who will make a shitload of money. As the fangraphs list shows, a lot of his value comes from defense, and that will decline as he ages. 118 wRC+ is very good but not elite. 10/300 sounds right to me. Don't sign players into their 40s IMO.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well yeah, he had like an 8 WAR in 2018. He hasn't been that player for the rest of his career.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
he's only 27 so even the full 12 years wouldn't put him into his forties

I really hope the deal gets done, it looks like both sides are in agreement on the AAV so it's just down to haggling between 10-11-12 years

e: Francisco Lindor, three seasons above 5.5 fWAR before turning 27, not a great player

DJ LeMahieu, career high of 5.3 fWAR, a top ten player in MLB

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 30, 2021

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tony Phillips posted:

Thanks for the reminder. Locked in for some sad rear end Mariners again.

In non-pandemic times, they should give out tickets to Seattle area t mobile customers instead.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Rizzo and Javy are like the only two players the Cubs need to keep in order to prevent fans from rioting. They're not off to a good start with Rizzo.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

In non-pandemic times, they should give out tickets to Seattle area t mobile customers instead.

I moved out of state almost 10 years ago now, but that would be cool for sure. Work it into the naming rights contract or something.

I worked for Safeco for a couple years 2003-05 or so and never got shiiiiit.

sadly for me, this will mark the 4th(?) year in a row that I don't get to see them live. Thanks for coming to MN for the opening series, jerks. I'm not vaccinated yet and most likely wouldn't step foot in a stadium yet regardless.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Well yeah, he had like an 8 WAR in 2018. He hasn't been that player for the rest of his career.
Lindor also tops this list if you go back to 17, or 16, or 15. You have to go all the way back to 2014 (the season before Lindor's MLB debut) as the starting year before Machado just edges him out by 0.4 fWAR over that 7-year span, and that's counting Machado's 2019-20 time at 3B in SD.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 30, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Julio Cruz posted:

e: Francisco Lindor, three seasons above 5.5 fWAR before turning 27, not a great player

DJ LeMahieu, career high of 5.3 fWAR, a top ten player in MLB

For the last 2 years, LeMahieu, also not a 400mm player, has been better. After 2018, Lindor got worse each of the next 2 years. His SLG was also 100 points down from 2019 to 2020..... That isn't NOTHING.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mcmagic posted:

For the last 2 years, LeMahieu, also not a 400mm player, has been better. After 2018, Lindor got worse each of the next 2 years. His SLG was also 100 points down from 2019 to 2020..... That isn't NOTHING.

You are comparing two entirely different positions and also a 27 year old and a 32 year old. Lindor has more bWAR than LeMhaieu in 4 less seasons. You aren't helping your argument.

You are also using a hosed up pandemic year in your analysis in which any type of normalcy was hard to come by.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

You are comparing two entirely different positions and also a 27 year old and a 32 year old. Lindor has more bWAR than LeMhaieu in 4 less seasons. You aren't helping your argument.

You are also using a hosed up pandemic year in your analysis in which any type of normalcy was hard to come by.

I already granted you that Lindor's 2018 season was a 400mm dollar player. It's just blatantly obvious that he didn't do that any other year of his career and his trendline is down from 2018 to 2019 to 2020. I didn't bring up LeMahieu.....

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mustached Demon posted:

T-Mobile customers got "special deals" or something in 2019. I forget what they were but they weren't anything special.

Anyway, I signed up for mlb.tv but it seems to only work on mobile devices? I'm still getting the lock symbol when I try to watch on my browser.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's fun to watch a whole new generation of Pirates fans get excited for the #1 overall pick this year and convince themselves that the Pirates will ride Rocker / Leiter to a World Series when ownership has made it blatantly clear that they will never under any circumstances spend money beyond the absolute minimum, and you can't win baseball solely through #1 draft picks.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Rizzo and Javy are like the only two players the Cubs need to keep in order to prevent fans from rioting. They're not off to a good start with Rizzo.

Id lump Hendricks in there too, but he's not a FA.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Don't let the anomaly of the last five years blind you to the realties of the preceding one hundred and eight. Cubs fans will, at most, get mildy grumpy about it, then pout for a while, then go back to embracing the Lovable Losers while getting smashed in Wrigleyville on game days, just like always.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lol at any Mets fans who thought Cohen would be their savior, billionaires still gonna billionaire

https://twitter.com/StevenACohen2/status/1376937545431457795

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I already granted you that Lindor's 2018 season was a 400mm dollar player. It's just blatantly obvious that he didn't do that any other year of his career and his trendline is down from 2018 to 2019 to 2020. I didn't bring up LeMahieu.....

2020 was 60 games so its easy enough to ignore and he still would have been close to a 5 win player over a full season.

2019, he was a 5.5 win player.

This is a really bad take. He's arguably the best SS in baseball, and at worst top 3.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s mcmagic, dumb takes are kinda his domain

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

yeah sometimes i forget it's mcmagic with the cuddly new avatar

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I know who it is god dangit.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I know who it is god dangit.

he's arguably the best troll in SAS, and at worst top 3

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Lindor can be the best SS in baseball this year (Tatis is clearly better but w/e) and not worth a $400 million extension. Both those things can be true.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Y'know, it's been said that the Braves have the worst TV deal in baseball but I didn't really realize how bad it is until today.

So, if I want to watch Braves games at home here are my options

Cable (no)
AT&T TV Streaming (its $86 a month so also no)
MLB.tv with VPN
Reddit or wherever streams

So I have two lovely choices or just straight up steal it. For a team with such a huge fanbase I can't believe they have such a dumbass deal.

The problem is that the majority of their games are on Fox Sports regional stations and all of Hulu, TYTV, Sling, etc dropped them from their lineup.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Joey Freshwater posted:

Y'know, it's been said that the Braves have the worst TV deal in baseball but I didn't really realize how bad it is until today.

Cable (no)
MLB.tv with VPN

So I have two lovely choices or just straight up steal it. For a team with such a huge fanbase I can't believe they have such a dumbass deal.

The problem is that the majority of their games are on Fox Sports regional stations and all of Hulu, TYTV, Sling, etc dropped them from their lineup.

same with the Twins, it sucks

anyway, here's something fun

https://twitter.com/theaceofspaeder/status/1376905791442149387?s=21

Apr 7, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

Cable (no)
MLB.tv with VPN

My only option is cable for watching the Pirates. MLB.TV blacks out local games. lol

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

bawfuls posted:

Lindor also tops this list if you go back to 17, or 16, or 15. You have to go all the way back to 2014 (the season before Lindor's MLB debut) as the starting year before Machado just edges him out by 0.4 fWAR over that 7-year span, and that's counting Machado's 2019-20 time at 3B in SD.

He's 6th if you look at just the last two seasons in FanGraphs. Though Bregman is really a 3B and I'd still take Lindor over Story, Turner, Semien, and X given track record. It's a good troll by mcmagic.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Lindor can be the best SS in baseball this year (Tatis is clearly better but w/e) and not worth a $400 million extension. Both those things can be true.

Yep! And there's going to be a number of excellent SS besides Lindor on the market if he doesn't re-sign with the Mets. And who knows what the hell happens with the CBA negotiations.

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

drat, I did not realize Bogaerts has been this good

X is a fantastic player. Since the Red Sox are turning into the goddamned Indians, though, I expect to see him traded off for prospects by 2023 despite only being owed 100m through his age 32 season.

e: I forgot Bogaerts can opt-out after 2022 going into his age 30 season. If he stays as good as he has been, no way he doesn't opt out. So he'll be gone after 2022 when the Sox offer 5/70m.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 30, 2021

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My only option is cable for watching the Pirates. MLB.TV blacks out local games. lol

You could do the VPN route with MLB.tv. I tried figuring it out but I'm too dumb to figure out how to do it on AppleTV and don't want to watch games on my laptop

Apr 7, 2003

I could gently caress around with the VPN route or I could just go to certain websites that make stealing it easy and painless.

If AT&TSN Pittsburgh had a streaming service I'd sub to it in a minute because they also do Pens games, but I'm not paying $200+ a month for cable for that in 2021.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

if he doesn't sign with the Mets this week then 7 months from now you are gonna be demanding the Giants give him a blank check lol c'mon man

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
how the hell was bryce harper a -3.0 WAR defensive player in 2018

i vaguely remember this being a thing but that's appallingly bad

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mustached Demon posted:

Apparently if you are a T-Mobile subscriber you do get a shitload of perks at the park. They've also never been able to really communicate any of that to people, for whatever reason.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

if he doesn't sign with the Mets this week then 7 months from now you are gonna be demanding the Giants give him a blank check lol c'mon man

Blank checks are bad. Pujols and Miggy Cabrera got blank checks. Anyway Marco Luciano might stick at short. Giants don't need to sign one of the big name shortstops if the price isn't right.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

he's arguably the best troll in SAS, and at worst top 3

Who are these other trolls that you'd put in your top 3 list?

I got my mlb.tv account activated - thanks for the heads up on the T-Mobile news goons!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

was that the year he played a bunch of games in center field? Might have something to do with it if so

Kirios posted:

Who are these other trolls that you'd put in your top 3 list?

I got my mlb.tv account activated - thanks for the heads up on the T-Mobile news goons!

euphronius has to be up there I'd imagine

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

2020 was 60 games so its easy enough to ignore and he still would have been close to a 5 win player over a full season.

2019, he was a 5.5 win player.

This is a really bad take. He's arguably the best SS in baseball, and at worst top 3.

4.5. Not 5.5. That is a relevant difference!

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/francisco-lindor/12916/stats?position=SS

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

bewbies posted:

Harper was pretty obviously making some business decisions in the field that year

Considering how many games he missed from running into walls, can't blame him

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I recall an article about how Harper's number of diving catch attempts plummeted from about 20 in a typical season to 0 in his contract year. He makes diving catches again, but he definitely did not want to get hurt before he got paid.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Blank checks are bad. Pujols and Miggy Cabrera got blank checks. Anyway Marco Luciano might stick at short. Giants don't need to sign one of the big name shortstops if the price isn't right.
In 2019, with a bad team that had no real hope at contention from the start of the season, the Giants produced $434M in revenues. And they own their stadium outright, one of the most valuable stadiums in the game, all of the construction debt paid down.

Why on earth would you care "if the price isn't right" for a player like Lindor?

Miguel Cabrera has produced 50 WAR as a Tiger and will be depicted in a Detroit cap on his Hall of Fame plaque. Miguel Cabrera isn't the reason the Tigers have been bad for the last 5 years.

Likewise Albert Pujols isn't the reason the Angels never have any pitching.

Both of those deals also started when the player was at least 32. Lindor will be 28 next year.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 30, 2021

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AndySlater/status/1376975620358483979

how florida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Can't decide if that's better than Guaranteed Rate