Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

banned from Starbucks posted:

All that would do is even out the attack range advantage marines have over xenos. The marines have the literal blueprints to the building they're defending and still get outmaneuvered. The only reason they arent all instantly killed by the ceiling ambush is because they have magic "bad guys r here" technology.

The xenos had had the run of the facility for weeks or months; they didn't need blueprints. Enemy marines would not only be able to attack at range, but could also make sophisticated use of the technology and local infrastructure, make more dramatic adjustments to the power system and local computers, scavenge and reuse any vehicles or equipment lost by the protagonists, etc.

It's just a numbers game, really. There were a hundred-odd aliens to like a dozen marines, and the marines maintained an incredible k/d ratio before being finally overrun. But a dozen soldiers don't beat a hundred soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ferrinus, i'm with ya. this was brought up very briefly in the general horror movie thread, but i found the comparison to 'bugs' in Aliens to basically make them less mysterious and way less scary.

like, Bishop cutting open a facehugger and speculating that there's a queen is cool but it would have been great if there was never any queen bug and he's out and out wrong. but by understanding the biology - or at least framing it terms of terrestrial animals that we already have a good base understanding of, then subsequently confirming that's the case - i think their mystery and horror is reduced.

not denyin that the alien queen is some top tier fx puppetry and i love the goopy egg sack and yeah it's a fun rollercoaster of a movie

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

The xenos had had the run of the facility for weeks or months; they didn't need blueprints. Enemy marines would not only be able to attack at range, but could also make sophisticated use of the technology and local infrastructure, make more dramatic adjustments to the power system and local computers, scavenge and reuse any vehicles or equipment lost by the protagonists, etc.

It's just a numbers game, really. There were a hundred-odd aliens to like a dozen marines, and the marines maintained an incredible k/d ratio before being finally overrun. But a dozen soldiers don't beat a hundred soldiers.

https://youtu.be/xKk4Cq56d1Y

alf_pogs posted:

Ferrinus, i'm with ya. this was brought up very briefly in the general horror movie thread, but i found the comparison to 'bugs' in Aliens to basically make them less mysterious and way less scary.

like, Bishop cutting open a facehugger and speculating that there's a queen is cool but it would have been great if there was never any queen bug and he's out and out wrong. but by understanding the biology - or at least framing it terms of terrestrial animals that we already have a good base understanding of, then subsequently confirming that's the case - i think their mystery and horror is reduced.

not denyin that the alien queen is some top tier fx puppetry and i love the goopy egg sack and yeah it's a fun rollercoaster of a movie

To be fair the Queen is meant to serve other, more important purposes than “make them bug-like”, which is part of why the movie specifically has the Aliens do “smart” things and calls attention to them not being “just animals” via dialogue.
The Queen’s symbolic presence is to mirror Ripley’s motherhood motif; the narrative presence is to give her a tangible form of that symbolic motif for her to confront. That and be a :krad: final boss monster to fight. :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Darko posted:

Its why she figured out to operate elevators

The Queen doesn't operate the elevator, Ripley calls both of them down and the Queen got into the second one. Still smart, but she doesn't press the buttons. When Ripley first takes the elevator down it goes back up automatically (which is why she has to wait for it when escaping with Newt).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

alf_pogs posted:

I love the alien queen and I don't mind their being bugs, I just don't think we should fool ourselves. There's no amount of stats, superpowers, or weird reproductive mechanisms that you can pile onto a sci-fi alien that will, in and of themselves, make that alien cosmically horrible, "Lovecraftian", or whatever. The Lovecraftian themes come out of context and presentation. Shorn of context, even Lovecraft monsters themselves are these practical, ho-hum mechanisms; a shoggoth is just a construction robot, a mi-go is just a winged guy, etc.

Bugs that think are called "people". Insofar as the xenomorph is scary, it's scary because of its relation and similarity to us, not its dissimilarity to us.

What made the Shadow Over Innsmouth scary isn't the fact of fishmen, it's the fact that we are fishmen and fishmen are us.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sigher posted:

The Queen doesn't operate the elevator, Ripley calls both of them down and the Queen got into the second one. Still smart, but she doesn't press the buttons. When Ripley first takes the elevator down it goes back up automatically (which is why she has to wait for it when escaping with Newt).

She doesn’t operate it in the “push buttons” sense, but she intuits that it’s where she needs to go in order to pursue Ripley despite visually and spatially appearing to be a “dead end”.
Likewise she intuits that she needs to get on the Dropship, and that she can pick up floor grating to get to Newt.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

alf_pogs posted:

just finished playing through Alien: Isolation for the first time since it originally came out. great game, and honestly one of the better overall Alien media plots.

Good on you. That game is fantastic.

Ran across this "did you know" article about Alien. I know, I know, Cracked.com but some of it was interesting poo poo I didn't know

https://www.cracked.com/image-pictofact-6365-20-hot-as-hell-behind-the-scenes-facts-about-aliens/

Also, (I think) we're shown the Xenos' intelligence in the first movie when it hides in the escaped pod and perfectly blends itself in with its surroundings. I guess you could argue it was just sleeping but even if it was it made sure to do so in a spot that provides perfect camouflage. And was its choice to hide in that spot just coincidence?

I don't see how anyone can honestly argue that they're just mindless dumb killing machines. I think the comparison to an ant colony is pretty on point and I suppose ant are "dumb" in a basic sense but the practical things they get up to as a colony are pretty impressive.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

https://youtu.be/xKk4Cq56d1Y

To be fair the Queen is meant to serve other, more important purposes than “make them bug-like”, which is part of why the movie specifically has the Aliens do “smart” things and calls attention to them not being “just animals” via dialogue.
The Queen’s symbolic presence is to mirror Ripley’s motherhood motif; the narrative presence is to give her a tangible form of that symbolic motif for her to confront. That and be a :krad: final boss monster to fight. :v:

It's more of a parallel to Ripley leading the marines, in that a female Xeno is leading the xenos.in the same way that Ripley is leading the marines after Gorman gets knocked out. They are never dumb, its just that they will die for the queen in service for the goal.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Darko posted:

It's more of a parallel to Ripley leading the marines, in that a female Xeno is leading the xenos.in the same way that Ripley is leading the marines after Gorman gets knocked out. They are never dumb, its just that they will die for the queen in service for the goal.

There’s that, too.

Ferrinus posted:

I love the alien queen and I don't mind their being bugs, I just don't think we should fool ourselves. There's no amount of stats, superpowers, or weird reproductive mechanisms that you can pile onto a sci-fi alien that will, in and of themselves, make that alien cosmically horrible, "Lovecraftian", or whatever. The Lovecraftian themes come out of context and presentation. Shorn of context, even Lovecraft monsters themselves are these practical, ho-hum mechanisms; a shoggoth is just a construction robot, a mi-go is just a winged guy, etc.
If it makes a difference to you, the writers of ‘Alien’ specifically cited Lovecraft as an inspiration for the Derelict, Jockey, and Alien itself.

Ferrinus posted:

Bugs that think are called "people". Insofar as the xenomorph is scary, it's scary because of its relation and similarity to us, not its dissimilarity to us.
I think there’s a kernel of truth to this, but I think it’s still missing a vital component. The Alien takes traits from the host, and the degree to which those traits influence the resultant Alien are amorphous and debatable (and that’s kind of the point). But at the same time, it’s right there in the title: Alien. The creature is intended to be unpredictable, ultimately unknowable, unlike anything humanity had encountered before.

quote:

What made the Shadow Over Innsmouth scary isn't the fact of fishmen, it's the fact that we are fishmen and fishmen are us.
That is a facet of Lovecraftian horror, but not the only one. Notable racist HP Lovecraft was deathly terrified of seemingly incomprehensible “others”, and the “scary” part of Innsmouth is that “others” exist AND that you might be one, and thus different from your fellow “humans”. He wasn’t positing that all humans are fishmen, he was positing that some people might be and thus can’t be trusted (with the ultimate terror being that YOU might be one).

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 30, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah the concluding horror of the Shadow of Innsmouth is that he's related directly by blood to one of these dang filthy fishmen. a fate worse than death for any racist!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

She doesn’t operate it in the “push buttons” sense, but she intuits that it’s where she needs to go in order to pursue Ripley despite visually and spatially appearing to be a “dead end”.
Likewise she intuits that she needs to get on the Dropship, and that she can pick up floor grating to get to Newt.

Doesn't really take that much for an animal to realize "Hey, what I'm after just got on that thing and it's moving away. Let's get on said thing." And animals do also burrow, yes.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

If it makes a difference to you, the writers of ‘Alien’ specifically cited Lovecraft as an inspiration for the Derelict, Jockey, and Alien itself.

Well, sure, because they feature cyclopean architecture, ancient aliens, and pollution/corruption of the body. Lovecraftian themes and aesthetics crop up everywhere, but, say, this guy:

...is not exactly terrifying for his ultimate unknowability. In fact, he's comfortably familiar and immediately recognizable in his aesthetics and providence!

quote:

I think there’s a kernel of truth to this, but I think it’s still missing a vital component. The Alien takes traits from the host, and the degree to which those traits influence the resultant Alien are amorphous and debatable (and that’s kind of the point). But at the same time, it’s right there in the title: Alien. The creature is intended to be unpredictable, ultimately unknowable, unlike anything humanity had encountered before.

It's not really unpredictable or unknowable, though. Especially in Aliens, we know exactly what the xenomorphs want. We don't start out knowing the full extent of their capabilities (for instance, throughout most of the movie it's not clear that there's a queen calling the shots), but, again, this is akin to our being surprised by the clever tactics of Jurassic Park's velociraptors.

Yes, the alien is clever, yes, it can surprise its prey, and so on. But you keep gesturing at some Lovecraftian X-factor, some ultimate unknowability which is present straight from the first movie, but it's either not there at all or this completely pedestrian thing where the alien is about as unknowable to you as I am. Where am I? Where did I come from? What am I going to post next?? You just don't know!

Hell, we do know where the alien comes from: space!

quote:

That is a facet of Lovecraftian horror, but not the only one. Notable racist HP Lovecraft was deathly terrified of seemingly incomprehensible “others”, and the “scary” part of Innsmouth is that “others” exist AND that you might be one, and thus different from your fellow “humans”.

Sure, but it's the humanity that actually allows us to parse this as a scary story. If there were just a civilization of hostile Atlanteans invading from the depths of the ocean, that'd be, like, bad, but it wouldn't produce the skin-crawling horror and disgust that SoI's protagonist feels. It's exactly that the fishmen are knowable, that we know them all too well, that is the problem. Likewise, the xenomorph's resemblance to and inseparability from people (and also from, in the first movie, the process of capital valorization, and in the second movie, the evil and crazy kind of people who might try to interfere with the process of capital valorization) is what allows it to hit home.

James Cameron famously bragged that some monster he made up for Avatar is even more fearsome and scary than the xenomorph. But it isn't, precisely because it's less familiar, less "knowable" (in both the literal and the biblical sense) than the xenomorph is.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I dunno man, I feel like I had a very different takeaway from ‘Alien’ than you did, and full disclosure I don’t think the Alien is that scary and never did - I saw ‘Alien’ when I was nine and got into the franchise because I thought the 90s toys looked rad, but I’ve found the Alien to be more fascinating than scary. The reasons I’ve felt that way have evolved over the years, sure, as has my appreciation for different reasons why it’s scary for different people.

I will say that the Alien has been its scariest for me when playing Isolation but that’s largely because I find video games scarier than movies, probably something to do with the element of control (or lack of it) and personal immersion.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ferrinus posted:

Bugs that think are called "people".

:question:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve found the Alien to be more fascinating than scary

gediman is that you

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

alf_pogs posted:

gediman is that you

In my defense, at 9 I didn’t understand psycho-sexual horror or existential cosmic horror, or even really body-horror other than having an Alien pop out of you would be scary because it would hurt real bad and you’d die. My appreciation for horror was more of “loud noises and jump scares” and ‘Alien’ only really has two big ones (the face hugging and Dallas getting got). The Alien creature was fascinating because it looked cool and unlike anything I’d ever seen, and it had cool abilities; I got so overexposed to the Alien creature by a combination of not understanding the horror, playing with the toys, over-exposure to the creature via comic books and spin off novels, and watching the movies over and over so it never had a chance to be “scary” for me.

It’s not me being a tough guy “scary things don’t scare me”, and more of the tragedy of me ruining my own experience via my circumstances. :suicide:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 30, 2021

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I dunno man, I feel like I had a very different takeaway from ‘Alien’ than you did, and full disclosure I don’t think the Alien is that scary and never did - I saw ‘Alien’ when I was nine and got into the franchise because I thought the 90s toys looked rad, but I’ve found the Alien to be more fascinating than scary. The reasons I’ve felt that way have evolved over the years, sure, as has my appreciation for different reasons why it’s scary for different people.

I will say that the Alien has been its scariest for me when playing Isolation but that’s largely because I find video games scarier than movies, probably something to do with the element of control (or lack of it) and personal immersion.

Oh, me too - I was never scared of the Alien per se, I thought the design was really cool and came to a greater appreciation of the movies' artistry and themes as I became more literate.

It's not cosmic horror as in its ability to scare per se that I'm trying to drill into here, but the assertion that it has some special mystery or unknowability which is lost or diminished by the prequels. In fact, I don't think there was ever such a mystery; since in practice the xenomorph was a (cool-looking, clever) animal, questions as to its origins or evolution were themselves really uninteresting ones with presumably straightforward answers, the classic JJ Abrams "mystery box". You know, like, they evolved on planet XYZ-123, or are the result of a Space Jockey weapons program, or something. These answers wouldn't really "ruin" the xenomorph because they don't really change anything about it in the first place. If I showed up on an alien planet and did some war crimes on them, and the aliens found me really scary and wondered where I came from, I could tell them "earth, the third planet orbiting Sol", but that wouldn't really satisfy them or solve the deeper issues caused by my presence.

We're just apes that think!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Xenomrph posted:

Well, OK, but I saw the first film when I was 12 and it scared the ever loving poo poo out of me. I'm not sure what not's scary about these weird insect/crab/whateverthefuck things with acid blood trapping people in space with no idea how to defeat it and no weapons or, further, being surrounded by a hundred of those motherfuckers WITH weapons and being totally outnumbered when ONE of them wiped out an entire crew.

I'm hard to pressed to come up with a monster movie that's scarier to be honest.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

Oh, me too - I was never scared of the Alien per se, I thought the design was really cool and came to a greater appreciation of the movies' artistry and themes as I became more literate.

It's not cosmic horror as in its ability to scare per se that I'm trying to drill into here, but the assertion that it has some special mystery or unknowability which is lost or diminished by the prequels. In fact, I don't think there was ever such a mystery; since in practice the xenomorph was a (cool-looking, clever) animal, questions as to its origins or evolution were themselves really uninteresting ones with presumably straightforward answers, the classic JJ Abrams "mystery box". You know, like, they evolved on planet XYZ-123, or are the result of a Space Jockey weapons program, or something. These answers wouldn't really "ruin" the xenomorph because they don't really change anything about it in the first place. If I showed up on an alien planet and did some war crimes on them, and the aliens found me really scary and wondered where I came from, I could tell them "earth, the third planet orbiting Sol", but that wouldn't really satisfy them or solve the deeper issues caused by my presence.

We're just apes that think!

For me it’s less “finding out where the Alien came from” and more the disappointment of what the answer ends up being. It takes the Alien from being this ancient cosmic horror and turns it into a robot’s pet science project that is, at best, a couple decades old.

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, OK, but I saw the first film when I was 12 and it scared the ever loving poo poo out of me. I'm not sure what not's scary about these weird insect/crab/whateverthefuck things with acid blood trapping people in space with no idea how to defeat it and no weapons or, further, being surrounded by a hundred of those motherfuckers WITH weapons and being totally outnumbered when ONE of them wiped out an entire crew.

I'm hard to pressed to come up with a monster movie that's scarier to be honest.
For me it has been and always will be ‘The Thing’; I only saw pieces of it when I was young but I instinctively knew that what I was seeing was scary as poo poo for all the wrong reasons, and then seeing the full movie as a teenager blew my goddamn mind. It’s still the scariest movie I’ve ever seen, and my second favorite movie of all time.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 30, 2021

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ferrinus posted:

In fact, I don't think there was ever such a mystery;

But there was for plenty of people, you can't just handwave that.

Ferrinus posted:

These answers wouldn't really "ruin" the xenomorph because they don't really change anything about it in the first place.

They actually do, this is why horror works in the first place because a lot is left to the imagination which is scarier than anything you'll see on the screen. A good example is The Thing, people wonder what it's original/true form looks like before assimilating but you never know so it's just weird hosed up amalgamation of poo poo we know but twisted in hosed up ways. Or Black Christmas, never seeing Billy makes him that much more interesting; yes, we all know that it's just an average looking dude through the door crack but not knowing is what gives it impact.

Wondering what's behind the mask tends to be more interesting than what is behind it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

totally agree, it's a terrifying monster. while the classic xeno has lost impact as the years go on, facehuggers still make me squirm and grimace. giger was really tapping into something

also as someone who gets claustrophic from time to time, the blob can be really loving scary as well

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I kinda love that Ridley’s answer to “the xenomorph is as smart as humans!” was to remind the audience that humans are stupid as poo poo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The sad thing is saying “it was scary to me because it was unknowable”, and then holding desperately to ignorance so that - what? So you can pretend that every single viewing of the film will produce the same effects as when you were twelve?

Barring some kind of massive brain trauma, you will never again believe that the zennymarf is real and out to get you. (Assuming you ever believed it.) Even Ripley’s mainly annoyed with the thing, by the end of Alien 3.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

For me it’s less “finding out where the Alien came from” and more the disappointment of what the answer ends up being. It takes the Alien from being this ancient cosmic horror and turns it into a robot’s pet science project that is, at best, a couple decades old.

The answer can only disappoint you if you think that it has some sort of determinative power over the content of the media in the first place. Like, imagine this counterfactual: the movie Alien completely unchanged, except that scientific analysis reveals in the space of a minute or so A) that the Space Jockey craft was indeed native to the planet it was found on, just being the remnant of an ancient civilization that developed on that world and B) the alien eggs had been manufactured by the ship. Entire rest of the movie proceeds apace.

Now we know the origin of the xenomorph: it's the creation of a long-dead alien race. This is probably the most logical conclusion to be drawn from the movie anyway (except that the Space Jockey might have come from a different planet, rather than that one). The next most likely is that the xenomorph is just, you know... an alien creature that evolved on some foreign world and had been harvested by the Jockeys from transport, or perhaps that evolved on the same world as the Jockeys. It used to be a cosmic mystery where humans came from, too, but then it turned out that chemistry, contingent circumstance, and evolutionary selection pressures molded us into our current forms and the same goes for all other life.

Prometheus and Covenant actually posit something far more radical and out-there than this: that rather than having specifically evolved anywhere or being created by anyone, the xenomorph is the logical endpoint of all life, such that any kind of accelerated progenerative and evolutionary process will generate it or something like it. Rather than a particular alien species, the xenomorph is a demonic manifestation of the psychosexual menace lurking at the heart of life itself. It's a horror immanent in the very act of reproduction, something swimming in your very genes.

It's quite possible that the specific xenomorphs present on LV-426 were David's pet science project and just a few decades old, because that's how long ago David got his hands on the azoth. But finding fault with this is like complaining that Mephistopheles is just the few-years-old pet science project of Faust.

sigher posted:

But there was for plenty of people, you can't just handwave that.

They actually do, this is why horror works in the first place because a lot is left to the imagination which is scarier than anything you'll see on the screen. A good example is The Thing, people wonder what it's original/true form looks like before assimilating but you never know so it's just weird hosed up amalgamation of poo poo we know but twisted in hosed up ways. Or Black Christmas, never seeing Billy makes him that much more interesting; yes, we all know that it's just an average looking dude through the door crack but not knowing is what gives it impact.

Wondering what's behind the mask tends to be more interesting than what is behind it.

My claim is that this stance basically constitutes a cargo cult among certain horror fans, where a lack of concrete information is believed to have some sort of special significance even if the information is trivial or meaningless to the story, and would change nothing were it revealed.

For instance, we actually do know what the Thing's "original" or "true" form looks like - it's some kind of viral or virus-like particle.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Prometheus and Covenant actually posit something far more radical and out-there than this: that rather than having specifically evolved anywhere or being created by anyone, the xenomorph is the logical endpoint of all life, such that any kind of accelerated progenerative and evolutionary process will generate it or something like it. Rather than a particular alien species, the xenomorph is a demonic manifestation of the psychosexual menace lurking at the heart of life itself. It's a horror immanent in the very act of reproduction, something swimming in your very genes.

i like that this aligns with the very Lovecraft-y idea that humanity is just a fluke, an accident of evolution along the path to something else much more horrifying

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

The answer can only disappoint you if you think that it has some sort of determinative power over the content of the media in the first place. Like, imagine this counterfactual: the movie Alien completely unchanged, except that scientific analysis reveals in the space of a minute or so A) that the Space Jockey craft was indeed native to the planet it was found on, just being the remnant of an ancient civilization that developed on that world and B) the alien eggs had been manufactured by the ship. Entire rest of the movie proceeds apace.

Now we know the origin of the xenomorph: it's the creation of a long-dead alien race. This is probably the most logical conclusion to be drawn from the movie anyway (except that the Space Jockey might have come from a different planet, rather than that one). The next most likely is that the xenomorph is just, you know... an alien creature that evolved on some foreign world and had been harvested by the Jockeys from transport, or perhaps that evolved on the same world as the Jockeys.
Frankly I’d rather not know either way, but given the scenarios you posited vs what Covenant says, I’ll take your scenario any day.

quote:

Could you elaborate on this? Because I’m not sure how the movies lead to that conclusion.

quote:

It's quite possible that the specific xenomorphs present on LV-426 were David's pet science project and just a few decades old, because that's how long ago David got his hands on the azoth. But finding fault with this is like complaining that Mephistopheles is just the few-years-old pet science project of Faust.
When one of the personal appeals of the Alien is that it’s an ancient horror from the stars and god knows where it came from, finding out it’s only a couple decades old kind of takes the wind out of those sails. Part of what makes the Alien scary is that they could be lurking in the dark anywhere, David creating it 20 years before the first movie radically scales back that scope.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 31, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

When one of the personal appeals of the Alien is that it’s an ancient horror from the stars and god knows where it came from, finding out it’s only a couple decades old kind of takes the wind out of those sails. Part of what makes the Alien scary is that they could be lurking in the dark anywhere, David creating it 20 years before the first movie radically scales back that scope.

the mural in the giant head room in Prometheus certainly implies that the xenomorph or some similar-lookin mutation was a known quantity well before David

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Frankly I’d rather not know either way, but given the scenarios you posited vs what Covenant says, I’ll take your scenario any day.

I mean, I think my scenario was de facto canon. To repeat myself, we've always known where xenomorphs come from: space.

That's it, space. They're space aliens, it's right there in the name of the movie. We don't know where specifically in space, but who cares? What would be the difference between their being native to LV-426 or transplanted there from LV-69420 or whatever else? There's no mystery in the first place.

quote:

Could you elaborate on this? Because I’m not sure how the movies lead to that conclusion.

As alf points out, there's a mural depicting a xenomorph in the Engineers' storage chamber that's carved into the wall from long before the humans even set foot inside and start to alter the atmosphere. Also, a xenomorph-like creature is produced spontaneously when the Engineers' mutagen passes through Holloway, then Shaw, then an Engineer. Also, when the Engineer monks or whatever are doused in mutagen by David, most of them disintegrate into dust but some of them rapidly mutate into monstrous shapes in the process of disintegration. Also, xenomorph-like creatures are produced spontaneously when the fungi (or something like fungi) that sprout up in the aftermath of that disintegration manage to infect human visitors. An actual xenomorph is produced deliberately by David, who has years and years to play around with the mutagen and the various lifeforms it's created, as well as the human body of Shaw.

The takeaway from all of this is that the xenomorph is implicit in the black goo. That is, if you use the goo wrong, or overuse it, you're going to get a xenomorph or xenomorph-like thing. This mysterious, alchemical substance which breaks life down in order to create more life is "supposed to" just seed planets with regular old ecologies, but it turns out that all roads of evolutionary development lead to the xenomorph, especially those which pass through the bodies of human beings.

I should point out that, also, the straightforward mystery you attributed to the xenomorph still remains: where did the black goo come from? Where did engineers get it? Why did they decide to use it the way they did? What changed between the simple, robed Engineer and flying saucer at the beginning of Prometheus and the sinister, biomechanically-augmented Engineers at the end? We just don't know. Hell, maybe the black goo is just the royal-jelly of some kind of ur-xenomorph lurking in an ancient, primal hive at the heart of the cosmos, although I think it makes more sense to understand the stuff as a primordial change-agent which creates xenomorph-like creatures because the xenomorph is the ultimate cosmic expression of the horrifying synthesis of birth and death.

quote:

Even though Faust only summoned him a few years ago, the demon lord Mephistopheles is not actually a few years old.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

alf_pogs posted:

the mural in the giant head room in Prometheus certainly implies that the xenomorph or some similar-lookin mutation was a known quantity well before David

I agree, but unfortunately Ridley Scott doesn’t (and he’s notorious for casually forgetting things from his prior movies, for better or for worse). He’s said “David made the Alien” in a bunch of interviews since the movie came out, and you’d better believe a bunch of hardcore Alien nerds have bent over backwards to drink that kool-aid and defend/rationalize Scott’s view.

Nevermind that Fox isn’t thrilled with the idea and has casually tried to walk it back; apparently the current position on the subject is “no comment.”

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

I should point out that, also, the straightforward mystery you attributed to the xenomorph still remains: where did the black goo come from? Where did engineers get it? Why did they decide to use it the way they did? What changed between the simple, robed Engineer and flying saucer at the beginning of Prometheus and the sinister, biomechanically-augmented Engineers at the end? We just don't know. Hell, maybe the black goo is just the royal-jelly of some kind of ur-xenomorph lurking in an ancient, primal hive at the heart of the cosmos, although I think it makes more sense to understand the stuff as a primordial change-agent which creates xenomorph-like creatures because the xenomorph is the ultimate cosmic expression of the horrifying synthesis of birth and death.
Those are all mysteries relating to the black goo - and while they are neat mysteries, I wish the capital-A Alien hadn’t been discarded in favor of “other mysteries”. Mysteries of the black goo =/= mysteries of the capital-A Alien in my book.

That’s what I mean about wishing the prequels had been wholly divorced from the Alien movies. If I want to see cool spooky cosmic body horror about mutations, I’d hope my capital-A Aliens in my capital-A Alien titled movie don’t get sidelined in the process.

Durr quote is not edit

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i am definitely in favor of Ridley saying whatever he wants about the thing, but it's always going to frustrate and confound an interpretation of the film if you include external analysis - even if it's from the director.

that said, these contradictions and uncertainties and weird paradoxes add to the fun for me. it's good to get two opposing opinions and find ways of reconciling them (even if only thematically) so i really enjoy the conversation at the moment.

in the most recent watch of Prometheus i enjoyed that it's basically the story of the antichrist: from a baron womb, a long-anticipated godlike entity is born. and hey it's christmas!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Those are all mysteries relating to the black goo - and while they are neat mysteries, I wish the capital-A Alien hadn’t been discarded in favor of “other mysteries”. Mysteries of the black goo =/= mysteries of the capital-A Alien in my book.

That’s what I mean about wishing the prequels had been wholly divorced from the Alien movies. If I want to see cool spooky cosmic body horror about mutations, I’d hope my capital-A Aliens in my capital-A Alien titled movie don’t get sidelined in the process.

Durr quote is not edit

It's literally the same mystery. The xenomorph came from somewhere. Where? "Space."

What Prometheus and Covenant do tell us about the xenomorph that's new is that, rather than being a single particular alien species akin to dogs or ants, the xenomorph is a demonic being that emerges from within people when those people have too much Life. This is, as I said at the outset, actually much more Lovecraftian than the default assumption that it's a gross and unusually intelligent bug "from" somewhere. The psychosexual body horror is within you even now! It can emerge at any moment! Reproduction itself begets only disgusting monsters!

alf_pogs posted:

i am definitely in favor of Ridley saying whatever he wants about the thing, but it's always going to frustrate and confound an interpretation of the film if you include external analysis - even if it's from the director.

that said, these contradictions and uncertainties and weird paradoxes add to the fun for me. it's good to get two opposing opinions and find ways of reconciling them (even if only thematically) so i really enjoy the conversation at the moment.

in the most recent watch of Prometheus i enjoyed that it's basically the story of the antichrist: from a baron womb, a long-anticipated godlike entity is born. and hey it's christmas!

Reconciliation is pretty easy, honestly. David clearly created a particular strain or family line of xenomorphs. They might be the ones that ended up on LV-426 - presumably he went and found an old Engineer ship and decided to use its holding bay or something? Either way, he made them from combination of humanity and the alchemical azoth. Where did the azoth come from? Well, probably the nuclear madness at the heart of the cosmos, but, basically, space.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 31, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

The psychosexual body horror is within you even now! It can emerge at any moment! Reproduction itself begets only disgusting monsters!

David Cronenberg's Alien

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

David Cronenberg's Alien

Imagine Cronenberg and Ridley Scott shooting the poo poo and talking movies. :allears:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There’s nothing particularly mysterious about the aliens in Alien 1, at all. We know all kinds of stuff about them.

Whatever questions do exist, they’re stuff nobody really cares about. Where did the eggs come from??? Well, maybe they’re made in a factory. Maybe they came out of a big one’s rear end.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ferrinus posted:

Also, xenomorph-like creatures are produced spontaneously when the fungi (or something like fungi) that sprout up in the aftermath of that disintegration manage to infect human visitors. An actual xenomorph is produced deliberately by David, who has years and years to play around with the mutagen and the various lifeforms it's created, as well as the human body of Shaw.

The goo only leads us to the intermediary life form right?

Xenomrph posted:

Mysteries of the black goo =/= mysteries of the capital-A Alien in my book.

Fo real. When Dallas, Kane and Lambert walk into the Space Jockey's chamber it's powerful, right there we have this giant rear end thing, looks strange but vaguely familiar with humanish arms, a kinda human shaped head and it's sitting in... something. It doesn't do anything, it doesn't need to, it's perfect visual storytelling: "This was once alive somehow, it's dead and you're in the dark as much as the crew." Then we get into the Egg chamber and how the movie keeps changing the problem that the Nostromo deals with to keep you interested and never tells you how or why. The black goo shows up as a couple of vases; the room itself is pretty cool but the vases and goo themselves aren't. The most interesting "mystery" in Prometheus for me was the holograms of Engineers running and the giant corpse pile. What were they escaping from? We're not shown any evidence of anything chasing them, or a containment leak or anything of the sort (from what I remember anyway). Was that ever explained?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

It's literally the same mystery. The xenomorph came from somewhere. Where? "Space."
No it isn't? The Alien isn't the Black Goo, it's something the black goo can apparently create given certain circumstances.

I get that you're positing that they're the same thing, but I simply don't agree, I'm sorry.

alf_pogs posted:

I'm not arguing that Ridley's word is the One True Truth, far from it. It's more of a footnote of the direction the next prequel might go, assuming the studio doesn't get him to course-correct.

There's also a very well-worn adage in the Alien fan community: "Ridley Scott says a lot of things." :v:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 31, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sigher posted:

Fo real. When Dallas, Kane and Lambert walk into the Space Jockey's chamber it's powerful, right there we have this giant rear end thing, looks strange but vaguely familiar with humanish arms, a kinda human shaped head and it's sitting in... something. It doesn't do anything, it doesn't need to, it's perfect visual storytelling: "This was once alive somehow, it's dead and you're in the dark as much as the crew." Then we get into the Egg chamber and how the movie keeps changing the problem that the Nostromo deals with to keep you interested and never tells you how or why. The black goo shows up as a couple of vases; the room itself is pretty cool but the vases and goo themselves aren't. The most interesting "mystery" in Prometheus for me was the holograms of Engineers running and the giant corpse pile. What were they escaping from? We're not shown any evidence of anything chasing them, or a containment leak or anything of the sort (from what I remember anyway). Was that ever explained?

i think Fifield and Milburn find a bunch of corpses with chestsplosions so it seems like probably a xeno outbreak but yeah it's just more ambiguous nightmare things

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

No it isn't? The Alien isn't the Black Goo, it's something the black goo can apparently create given certain circumstances.

Where did the black goo come from?

Is it even a goo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

sigher posted:

The goo only leads us to the intermediary life form right?

The goo leads to lifeforms, period, and the more it's used and reused, the more its subjects mutate and intermix, the closer you get to the xenomorph. The Engineers knew it - it's why they carved warnings into the walls.

I should also remind you that there wasn't just a chamber with "a couple of vases", but instead a big chamber filled with a huge grid of vases recalling the grid of eggs in the Space Jockey ship.

Xenomrph posted:

I get that you're positing that they're the same thing, but I simply don't agree, I'm sorry.

If the Alien isn't the goo, but something the goo can create under certain circumstances, then the mystery of the alien's origin does in fact reduce to the mystery of the goo's origin. There is still a spooky question which can be generated by taking various of your earlier posts and doing a find-replace word search. "Part of what makes Prometheus so scary is that the mutagen could be pooling in the dark anywhere..."

Like I mentioned, the goo could literally be spinal fluid or reproductive ichor or whatever else harvested from or secreted by already-existing ancient xenomorphs, so there's even entirely possible that the xenomorph came first (but where did that xenomorph come from? (space)).