Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Grittybeard posted:

Gonna Pratchetize the vaccines in the same annoying way for a smaller fan base. Hmmm....

Pfizer: The Wizards
Moderna: The Witches
J&J: Death
Astrazeneca: The Watch

Sputnik: The Patrician?
The Librarian is just New Zealand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

That’s just Peak Dad Energy right there

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dango Bango posted:

I love this Freudian autocorrect.

lol I don't even think it was an autocorrect, my smoothbrain though "had" and "ate" at the same time so hate is the word it produced!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Freaquency posted:

I don’t know why you would go to one of the chains when there is more than likely a local place serving burgers, wings, etc. that are just as good somewhere close by. They’re always mediocre at absolute best and often worse. I went to one of those places for breakfast with my SO’s grandparents once and ordered a side of fruit with my omelet - I got a sliver of cantaloupe that was about a quarter inch thick and a single strawberry. Chains are the worst.

e: I couldn’t remember what restaurant it was when I posted but I found it. gently caress O’Charley’s forever

There was a line outside of a Cheesecake Factory in downtown Philly last night. I saw it with my own two eyes!

That said when my wife was finishing up her PhD we'd gently caress up some late night appetizers at Applebee's once in a blue moon. We aren't too good for it.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

seiferguy posted:

I hate a fuckton of Applebee's my freshman year because my friends and I all collectively decided many times at 9pm we wanted happy hour. Many Buffalo wings and nachos were eaten.

Suffice to say I don't really ever feel like eating there ever again!

Applebees half-priced apps after 9PM are an understandable college staple. It has taken me an embarrassing amount of time to break out of the habit of just ordering from a chain. Where we live is flanked by two other suburbs that are effectively the same drive time away from us. One has a BWW and Chipotle, the other has an amazing local wing place and a very good local burrito place. Beyond familiarity, there is absolutely no excuse for going to the BWW/Chipotle area, but I will still do it multiple times a year.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

I'm willing to take the karmic hit for hoping this is true

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GD_American posted:

I'm willing to take the karmic hit for hoping this is true

If the investigation started under Barr there must have been some evidence that was too big to ignore.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1377018666869481474

lol

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Oh so that's why Gaetz is contemplating "retirement" from Congress

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Skwirl posted:

If the investigation started under Barr there must have been some evidence that was too big to ignore.

Other things too big to ignore - that forehead, that pompadour, etc.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Freaquency posted:

I don’t know why you would go to one of the chains when there is more than likely a local place serving burgers, wings, etc. that are just as good somewhere close by. They’re always mediocre at absolute best and often worse. I went to one of those places for breakfast with my SO’s grandparents once and ordered a side of fruit with my omelet - I got a sliver of cantaloupe that was about a quarter inch thick and a single strawberry. Chains are the worst.

e: I couldn’t remember what restaurant it was when I posted but I found it. gently caress O’Charley’s forever

I agree with you, and that was one of my editorial mandates when I was running my magazine in Iowa (that we'll accept ads from anyone, but chains will try to buy articles, and they will be told to gently caress off), but sometimes non-chain isn't an option, especially when traveling. Layovers in the airport can be so brief that you have to say "gently caress it" and grab McDonald's or Chili's, because the menu is universal; when in a destination for work and you don't have a rental car, the Benihana or the Royal Farms or the Qdoba a block away sounds a lot better than the creepy salad bar at the hotel, etc.

Third party services like Grubhub and UberEats have changed that game somewhat ... But gently caress those companies, hard.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Looks like I'm joining the Pfizer Pfreaks next week. Yay.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
One of my good friends from college loves chain restaurants like Applebee's because (in his exact words) "It's consistent so if I'm at an Applebee's in New York it will be the same as one in Omaha."

I get the logic but man what a low bar.

Best thing is he's currently dating a food critic for Time Out LA. :v:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Looks like I'm joining the Pfizer Pfreaks next week. Yay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IlNbsILLE

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
E; nevermind

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 30, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Android Apocalypse posted:

One of my good friends from college loves chain restaurants like Applebee's because (in his exact words) "It's consistent so if I'm at an Applebee's in New York it will be the same as one in Omaha."

It's not unsound logic, and my mom uses the exact same excuse when she travels. She books her hotels based on how close they are to as many chain restaurants as possible, but she will also refuse to stay at a hotel if it's too close to a Pizza Hut.

I wish I were making any of that up.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Applebees half-priced apps after 9PM are an understandable college staple. It has taken me an embarrassing amount of time to break out of the habit of just ordering from a chain. Where we live is flanked by two other suburbs that are effectively the same drive time away from us. One has a BWW and Chipotle, the other has an amazing local wing place and a very good local burrito place. Beyond familiarity, there is absolutely no excuse for going to the BWW/Chipotle area, but I will still do it multiple times a year.

I assume you are talking about D Spot, what's the burrito place? I want to try it next time I'm back in the cities.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol remember when this guy was the lone no vote on a human trafficking bill?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Agreeing with the popular opinion here that it's always best to go to an original place but if you have to go for a big change Chili's is probably the least offensive. If you're driving from a central Midwestern town like Cincinnati to the south east coast you have to drive through these towns where it's basically a highway off-ramp a hotel a chain restaurant and that's it for like 15 miles in any direction. That's pretty much the only scenario these days where I go to a big chain like that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Eifert Posting posted:

Agreeing with the popular cinnamon here that it's always best to go to an original place but if you have to go for a big change Chili's is probably the least offensive. If you're driving from a central Midwestern town like Cincinnati to the south east coast you have to drive through these towns where it's basically a highway off-ramp a hotel a chain restaurant and that's it for like 15 miles in any direction. That's pretty much the only scenario these days where I go to a big chain like that.

The popular cinnamon

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
No the best place is Whataburger/In'N'Out/Sheetz/Culver's/whatever fast food joint a region has tied the entirety of their self-esteem and identity to

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the Cinnamonati Bojangles

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Leperflesh posted:

the Cinnamonati Bojangles

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Please change the title to the popular cinnamon

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Do you guys have bakeries there? Like just mum and dad run (usually vietnamese) where they make meat pies (like actual meat and gravy - not that fruit bullshit), sausage rolls, pasties and usually have a bunch of fresh rolls with salad and ham or chicken on them?

I like those places when I'm travelling. Every suburb has a local one where you can get something decent to eat. Not always going to be amazing but you'll always find something delicious and fresh made.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/mattgaetz/status/1161062269641474049?s=19

*frantically tugs on collar*

T-Square
May 14, 2009

GD_American posted:

No the best place is/Culver's/whatever fast food joint a region has tied the entirety of their self-esteem and identity to

I will not stand for this slander.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Well the difference between a NYC Applebee's is it's the same but ungodly expensive; but yeah sometimes I just want chicken strips and fries and Applebee's doesn't gently caress that up. Though I much prefer Max and Erma's for that kind of experience.

Man we used to eat Pizza Hut so much then at some point realized "There are like 18 unique pizza places surrounding us" (And also the Pizza Hut closed and became this place called Dad's which I highly recommend if you want good bar food in Monroeville that isn't Gateway Grill)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

It’s a running joke between my gf and i when we’ve both had a poo poo shift that, instead of cooking, we’ll just “go and gently caress up a Chili’s.”

Gimme that southwest chicken club and keep the two dollar drafts coming.

It was an absolute staple for my friend group in law school. Chili’s was a great spot for a pre-game where you’d only spend $20.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

BlindSite posted:

Do you guys have bakeries there? Like just mum and dad run (usually vietnamese) where they make meat pies (like actual meat and gravy - not that fruit bullshit), sausage rolls, pasties and usually have a bunch of fresh rolls with salad and ham or chicken on them?

I like those places when I'm travelling. Every suburb has a local one where you can get something decent to eat. Not always going to be amazing but you'll always find something delicious and fresh made.

The only Vietnamese bakeries I know of all serve banh mi. There are regular bakeries here, but I don’t know of many that serve meat pies. Most are usually sweet stuff, breakfast pastries, or just bread. I think most bakeries here tend to go for French style than English style.

Chain restaurants are fine for middle of a road trip when you just need to get off and back on the road right away. It really sucks if you end up in a town and your only options are chains. Then you know you’re in hell.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't remember if it was posted here or elsewhere but there is a billboard somewhere in Florida with a PSA basically saying "being drunk is never an excuse to rape your daughter"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Spoeank posted:

Please change the title to "the popular cinnamon here"
Slightly tweaked

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

LeeMajors posted:

Hot Take:

Harry Potter is fine. It’s got problematic poo poo, it’s not high art. It’s fun kiddo lit. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Oh no, it's not necessarily the books' fault and I loved them as a kid (Rowling can get hosed tho, trans rights binch), but the constant comparisons of real world things to the series is annoying because it's seemingly the only frame of reference people have. It's like people saying a game set in modern Tokyo is a reference to Persona 5 even if it predates P5 by several years (e.g. the world ends with you).

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 30, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

*Nestor coyly smiles*

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

The only Vietnamese bakeries I know of all serve banh mi. There are regular bakeries here, but I don’t know of many that serve meat pies. Most are usually sweet stuff, breakfast pastries, or just bread. I think most bakeries here tend to go for French style than English style.

Chain restaurants are fine for middle of a road trip when you just need to get off and back on the road right away. It really sucks if you end up in a town and your only options are chains. Then you know you’re in hell.

Yeah, seems like we get the mix of the two here. There is a large Vietnamese community in Australia and I guess with the british tradition being a former colony there was a mix of the two. Usually there's a hot box on one side filled with the english style pastries and some Vietnamese fare like spring rolls and a cold one full of cakes, banh mi, rice paper wraps. Then your usual breads, rolls, baguettes, croissants etc.

I feel kinda bad you guys don't have somewhere you can get a pepper steak pie and a lamington for a quick lunch.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

quote:

Mr. Gaetz is now engaged to a woman named Ginger Luckey, whom he proposed to at Mr. Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club on Dec. 30.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Yeah, seems like we get the mix of the two here. There is a large Vietnamese community in Australia and I guess with the british tradition being a former colony there was a mix of the two. Usually there's a hot box on one side filled with the english style pastries and some Vietnamese fare like spring rolls and a cold one full of cakes, banh mi, rice paper wraps. Then your usual breads, rolls, baguettes, croissants etc.

I feel kinda bad you guys don't have somewhere you can get a pepper steak pie and a lamington for a quick lunch.

Oh man, there’s an Armenian bakery that opened up here called House of Bread that sells khachapuri and kabobs alongside the standard pastry and bread items. Grabbing one of those for lunch is absolute heaven.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I had to google khachapuri and now I need this in my life. I wonder if there's an armenian bakery or take away I can get to under the current lockdown.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BlindSite posted:

I lived in a very, very ethnic area of Baltimore, which was one of my favorite parts of being there. I had authentic Italian, Mexican, Peruvian, Greek, Iranian, Italian and Polish grocers within a 10- or 15-minute walk from the front door of my house.

Nothing like picking up some fresh garlic naan with some spicy hummus on the walk home from work when it was late and I just wanted to be lazy. (Alternatively, nothing like picking up a Royal Farms chicken meal--two pieces of dark meat, potato wedges, slaw and a biscuit plus a fountain soda for $6--while walking home from work and feeling lazy.)

God, I miss Baltimore sometimes. I wonder if the dating scene there is any better than here in Madison...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Are you guys calling kachapuri Armenian just to troll me?

Don't get me wrong Armenian food owns, Yerevan is one of my favorite towns I've ever been to. But kachapuri is from Saqart-loving-velo.