Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Warbird posted:

Also Graduation is ok, forgettable at worst. Y’all need to chill.
this x 10000 :rolleyes: Mission: Imp Hospital was kind of unlistenable for me but the rest has been totally fine doing-the-dishes listening fare.

I would also like to see a BDG-run game, though IDK how much experience he has with that (he was great as a player in Jenna's Cyberpunk game).

Entropic posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought it was more like a small group of fans was suggesting topics like that and they said "yeah, no, this isn't really that kind of show, we're trying to be a lighthearted funny little show, getting into heavy politics is not really our wheelhouse at all" and the fans were like HOW DARE YOU
Yeah this is the thing I was talking about, see Gurgi's post from earlier--they hosed up the response to this and it escalated.

wizzardstaff posted:

I think that whether you describe something as "virtue signaling" or "performative wokeness" depends on how YOU, the speaker feel about the behavior in question.

If you think it's an admirable goal but someone is trying too hard, centering themselves too much, or just has a surface-level understanding of what they're proclaiming to support, then it's performative wokeness.

If you think that someone putting pronouns in their bio is a beta SJW cuck trying to white knight for the feminazis, then it's virtue signaling and we can hear all about it on your YouTube channel.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've always felt that the difference between "performative wokeness" and "virtue signaling" was intent. Someone signaling doesn't give a poo poo about the thing they're talking about, as long as people see them talking about it. Being performative means you do actually care about the thing but you're making a big deal, even if unintentionally, about supporting it.

Personally, it bugs me when cishet people loudly proclaim themselves Allies. I feel like that's a status that's given or earned through action and words instead of something you declare yourself.

That's just my interpretation and opinion though.
Thanks, these make sense. It's pretty clear that it's both about a judgment of intent and also virtue signaling as a term sets off alt-right warning bells that "performative wokeness" doesn't.

I'm personally fine with cishets making a big show of saying they're Allies as long as they actually back it up by learning the poo poo they need to learn in order to be good allies, and walking the walk. But I think it's really the same thing we're both aggravated by. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

it's a dumb world.

agreed

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Would do terrible things to get an E1 "dungeons and deagals" cross over episode with Branson DMing

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lester Shy posted:

I think "performative wokeness" is mostly harmless, but I can understand being frustrated by it when Travis uses trauma-sensitive language to talk about how he's a middle brother so having to repeat himself is "triggering" or that scolding people for playing a video game wrong is "establishing boundaries." People struggle to have these concepts taken seriously, so I can see being annoyed when somebody appropriates them for something frivolous.
yeah it's mostly this, for me anyways

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah but if you drill down on a lot of what people are actually taking issue with WRT Travis it’s poo poo like “soy face” and the fact that he does poo poo with his look and behavior that’s traditionally coded as queer.

Like there’s a bunch of people who “find it obnoxious” or whatever in a way that totally isn’t :thunk: as gently caress (see my previous post on the matter) but there’s also a bunch of people who are mad that Travis is straight and legit consider him dying his hair the queerness equivalent of stealing valor. And that’s also super weird and not ok.

I consider myself a good enough person that I would never use a gendered, racist, ableist, or homophobic pejorative to describe someone I don’t like. I am, though, a big enough man-child that I do feel the need to point at the people I don’t like and call them names.

So, as such, I am challenging the posters in this thread to generate new pejoratives to call people that don’t involve involve coded language. Just words that by their very mouth feel describe the person you are pointing at and mocking. I hope this will become a team building exercise that unifies the thread.

I shall begin:

‘Goober’.

Use case: “People who say ‘soy-face’ are goddam goobers”.

I look forward to everyone else’s contributions.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Marsupial Ape posted:

I consider myself a good enough person that I would never use a gendered, racist, ableist, or homophobic pejorative to describe someone I don’t like. I am, though, a big enough man-child that I do feel the need to point at the people I don’t like and call them names.

So, as such, I am challenging the posters in this thread to generate new pejoratives to call people that don’t involve involve coded language. Just words that by their very mouth feel describe the person you are pointing at and mocking. I hope this will become a team building exercise that unifies the thread.

I shall begin:

‘Goober’.

Use case: “People who say ‘soy-face’ are goddam goobers”.

I look forward to everyone else’s contributions.

You should really look up the origin of Goober before you start throwing it around like that.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

lmao

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Just Chamber posted:

You should really look up the origin of Goober before you start throwing it around like that.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81hbo9gEv0L._SL1500_.jpg

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Fans calling the brothers by their family nicknames will never be weird to me. Why do you call him juice? You have absolutely zero context to call him that!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah but if you drill down on a lot of what people are actually taking issue with WRT Travis it’s poo poo like “soy face” and the fact that he does poo poo with his look and behavior that’s traditionally coded as queer.

Like there’s a bunch of people who “find it obnoxious” or whatever in a way that totally isn’t :thunk: as gently caress (see my previous post on the matter) but there’s also a bunch of people who are mad that Travis is straight and legit consider him dying his hair the queerness equivalent of stealing valor. And that’s also super weird and not ok.

Hey check out this take: if you find this cis straight man annoying, that's homophobic. Boom

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

The World Inferno posted:

Wonder if that's just the smile someone makes when they don't feel like they've really figured out how to do a normal one and just way over commit to showing the teeth. I feel like I made that face a decent amount as a thirteen year old and being super self-conscious of how my smile might look.

Also, want to see that shower pumpkin.

Having a media-presentable smile is something that you have or don't have. There's a reason why people point out that some celebrities have the one "face" that they always show in photographs of themselves. I think thumbnailface is just easier to self-effacingly wave off as being whacky or dumb when someone's worried that they don't have the confidence to do a camera-friendly smile. The other part of it is that it probably works better for small images and banners that you'd see on phone screens or small, thumbnail-like images.

I think Graduation got better. It's still probably the least-good of the top 10 or so currently-running Actual Plays, but it's no longer on-its-face bad. I think a big turn was when Travis was finally comfortable with letting his NPCs be flawed and start doing bits with the players instead of just going "...huh" or "...okay" all the time. He also massively toned down the scripted bits and one-on-ones and dumped the squeaky baby voice he was talking in for a long time. It's still got very little focus which I think that comes from all the course-correcting, but at least players are all talking to each other again.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I gotta say as a free-floating piece of content out there on the internet this article is as the expression goes "buck wild"

Vice Magazine posted:

For some in the fandom, the current season of The Adventure Zone is a disaster. Some fans who have spoken to Motherboard have said that things have gotten so bad that they've dropped off the show after listening to it for nearly a decade. While the complaints are numerous, almost all of them revolve around the way the story is being told. Some of these fans feel that the current Dungeon Master, middle brother Travis McElroy, has made the show unlistenable.

Vice Magazine posted:

One fan, who goes by AwuBuwu on Twitter described the concept of a wheelchair using character as "hot as hell and I love it."
I'm not sure where else I've seen such a high density of inconsequential pseudononymous opinions outside this very thread

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Pennsylvanian posted:

I think thumbnailface is just easier to self-effacingly wave off as being whacky or dumb when someone's worried that they don't have the confidence to do a camera-friendly smile.

yeah it's 100% this

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

some plague rats posted:

Hey check out this take: if you find this cis straight man annoying, that's homophobic. Boom

This is such bad faith horseshit I’m not even gonna respond to it, holy cow.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

McElory + BGD Love Zone: One fan, who goes by AwuBuwu on twitter,

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Sivart13 posted:

One fan, who goes by AwuBuwu on Twitter described the concept of a wheelchair using character as "hot as hell and I love it."

This person has a pumpkin in their shower for sure.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

People make faces when they get their picture taken. It's a very, very, normal thing.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

This is such bad faith horseshit I’m not even gonna respond to it, holy cow.

It wasn't intended as a serious argument, my guy

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Sivart13 posted:

I gotta say as a free-floating piece of content out there on the internet this article is as the expression goes "buck wild"

I'm not sure where else I've seen such a high density of inconsequential pseudononymous opinions outside this very thread

Yeah the tone of it is bonkers, its written like a serious investigation into major transgressions when the subject is "podcast not as good as it used to be, some say"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

eke out posted:

McElory + BGD Love Zone: One fan, who goes by AwuBuwu on twitter,

Mods please

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Just Chamber posted:

It’s what really old farts call peanuts and a term of endearment for “dumbfucker”. Please do share whatever fun racist/ableist/Xist source uses you know for it, I’d be interested to hear about it.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 31, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Warbird posted:

It’s what really old farts call peanuts and a term of endearment for “dumbfucker”. Please do share whatever fun racist/ableist/Xist source uses you know for it, I’d be interested to her about it.

:imunfunny:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Warbird posted:

It’s what really old farts call peanuts and a term of endearment for “dumbfucker”. Please do share whatever fun racist/ableist/Xist source uses you know for it, I’d be interested to her about it.

Same. It’s literally the name of a popular sandwich spread.

New neutral perjorative: ‘ding-dong’

Use case: “Concern trolls are such loving ding-dongs”.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my personal take is that if they stopped thinking theyre doing good everyones lives would be a lot better. like they talk in interviews and stuff about 'we have an obligation not to just portray people like ourselves' and thats the worst attitude to try and depict a real-feeling trans/disabled/w/e person from, lol. like nobodys lives would be different if the podcast boys did just have orcs and white guys in their podcasts. maybe a few less people would listen to it but nobody'd die. that's not to say they shouldn't just that they shouldn't pay themselves on the back or treat it like its a grand quest, or like they're doing anyone a favor.

the issue is a lot of their fanbase absolutely treats it like a grand quest where they're doing people favors. so minor fuckups get magnified while people have to shout about how a random podcast dude doing a falsetto to yell that a d&d npc is trans is the pinnacle of representation. and like, its just a white cis dude playing d&d putting a trans character in. it has no more or less meaning than that. and thats fine. some people might be into that but it isnt transgressive queer art or a watershed moment. its just a thing thats happening

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Endorph posted:

my personal take is that if they stopped thinking theyre doing good everyones lives would be a lot better. like they talk in interviews and stuff about 'we have an obligation not to just portray people like ourselves' and thats the worst attitude to try and depict a real-feeling trans/disabled/w/e person from, lol. like nobodys lives would be different if the podcast boys did just have orcs and white guys in their podcasts. maybe a few less people would listen to it but nobody'd die. that's not to say they shouldn't just that they shouldn't pay themselves on the back or treat it like its a grand quest, or like they're doing anyone a favor.

the issue is a lot of their fanbase absolutely treats it like a grand quest where they're doing people favors. so minor fuckups get magnified while people have to shout about how a random podcast dude doing a falsetto to yell that a d&d npc is trans is the pinnacle of representation. and like, its just a white cis dude playing d&d putting a trans character in. it has no more or less meaning than that. and thats fine. some people might be into that but it isnt transgressive queer art or a watershed moment. its just a thing thats happening

I agree, the problem is that when that side of the left latches onto you you have to be a bastion of progression or they'll jump all over you if you either slip up or aren't continuously the most progressive people on the planet, see: the recent Lindsay Ellis controversy that shows they'd much rather eat their own than pile on actual legit scummy people.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 31, 2021

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Yeah exactly. Representation in media is nice at best when it's actual poc/trans/etc people getting roles but a white guy saying "this character is trans" is not actually representation

Also the best D&D podcast in the world, Rude Tales of Magic, is made up entirely of people whose character is "me but I'm a fawn/sasquatch/skeleton" and nobody complains about it because it's too much fun to be a buzz kill about

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Just Chamber posted:

that side of the left

???

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh fun. What happened with Lindsay?

some plague rats posted:

Also the best D&D podcast in the world, Rude Tales of Magic, is made up entirely of people whose character is "me but I'm a fawn/sasquatch/skeleton" and nobody complains about it because it's too much fun to be a buzz kill about

Idk friend. There are people that think Stirfry isn’t the best. The monsters.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 31, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

There's some lovely sides on the left also?

OK, liberal white people on twitter, better? Regardless there's a side of the always online crowd who happen to be left wing that get really loving weird when it comes to who they label as bastions of liberal values like Lindsay Ellis, The McElroys etc.

Warbird posted:

Oh fun. What happened with Lindsay?

She disliked Raya and the Last Dragon and dared to say that Avatar The Last Airbender was an influence on it as well as being a big influence on a bunch of YA fiction in recent years, which apparently makes her a racist, she did the smart thing and deleted her twitter to basically get out while she could until poo poo dies down because that's honestly the only thing you can do in that situation.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 31, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sorry i'd rather just listen to Future of the Left

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

it's funny because there's a very simple way to actually promote representation: play dnd with some people who are not cishet white men lol

it's not like a three person party is the only way for a podcast to be listenable and they could always do like... miniseries or a side project or a stream or a million other things. and, in return, they would make a great deal of money for their work

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

please put this thread out of its misery again

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

eke out posted:

it's funny because there's a very simple way to actually promote representation: play dnd with some people who are not cishet white men lol

That is the correct answer and I can’t believe it took us this deep into the conversation to get to it.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

please put neck frills on Travis and have him spit black goo on dennis nedry while making that face

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Reaverbot posted:

please put neck frills on Travis and have him spit black goo on dennis nedry while making that face
monster hunter but you have to tweet an apology after every monster kill

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

Idk friend. There are people that think Stirfry isn’t the best. The monsters.

Sorry pal but Stirfry likers are cancelled for doing uh [spins wheel] heightism and you're only allowed to like Cordelia

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
You know what? At least people want to take Travis' picture. I have a feeling that most of the goobers making fun of Travis haven't been asked to smile for the camera since the DMV.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

You know what? At least people want to take Travis' picture. I have a feeling that most of the goobers making fun of Travis haven't been asked to smile for the camera since the DMV.

why are you so defensive of the guy's big dumb mouth lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Marsupial Ape posted:

Are you trying to come up with the worst possible defense in every situation? Because that's actually a really good bit and I like it a lot