Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

What was the email.

quote:

My name is Stacey Abrams.

I'm a Democrat from Georgia in the US, and I care passionately about the right to vote.

In the 2020 Presidential elections we did what many thought impossible: We flipped Georgia blue, winning for the first time in 28 years, and then, we won two US Senate seats to secure Democratic control.

I know a thing or two about elections and democracy. And I know every single vote counts.

That's how we beat Trump in Georgia. And that's how you can win as well.

I've spent much of my adult life registering and empowering people to vote in my home state of Georgia so that their voices can be heard, and so that together, we can build a brighter future. And I know that Sadiq Khan is fighting for the same brighter future in London.

London's Mayoral election on 6 May is your chance to make sure that your voice - and the voices of all Londoners - are heard loud and clear.

Here's what you can do right now:

I know from our experience in Georgia that voting by mail is a safe and convenient way to cast your vote and that promoting voting by mail is an effective strategy to help win elections.

And, it takes a few minutes to apply.

We won Georgia by registering record numbers of new voters and record numbers of new postal voters. In fact, with an increase in our postal vote, Georgia had the highest turnout our state has ever seen.

The postal vote deadline is less than one month away - on 20 April - so register today.

Real Name, Sadiq needs your help more than ever. He is relying on grassroots supporters like you to spread the word about the upcoming election.

Phone banking has never been more important. Do you have time to join in your local session?

Yes, I want to get involved and #PhoneFromHome

By volunteering your time to make calls, you are helping ensure that every eligible voter can make their voice heard on or before 6 May.

With your help, I'm certain that Sadiq can build a brighter future for all Londoners as the world recovers from the pandemic.

I hope you and your family stay safe and healthy.

Stacey Abrams

Not as bad as that Labour South West one, and on its face sort of okay if extremely soft, same old "This is how you can help us win" without even the vaguest attempt to explain *why* we should want to win, and that's where the real pain is.

Obviously we all no longer expect anyone at the upper levels of Labour to actually supply a positive vision, but they're taking it to a whole new level by dragging the Dems - and specifically Stacey Abrams - into it. The two senators she did help get elected in Georgia are basically already dead because Biden and the DNC abandoned the only two actual policies - $15 minimum wage and $2000 stimulus - even before the votes were counted, not under pressure or pragmatism, but without a shot being fired because at best they're so terminally Sorkin-brained that they think - by negotiating against themselves from the start - they're being Grown Up and Doing Politics Right. Of course the actual reason is because they literally never intended to offer anything actually good because they're the exact same Reagan-fuckers as on the other side of the aisle, they just throw a rainbow flag over the corpses they leave.

Also the only people who are going to be excited by a Personal Appeal From Stacey Abrams (the subject of the email) are the kind of mutants on this side of the Atlantic who are to politics what Americans who suddenly discover they really, really love Manchester United are to football. It's just such a clear signal that they're not even *attempting* to appeal to who's never written a tweet with a clap emoji between each word, and just so loving depressing. They've got nothing, no substance, not even surface appeal, just "Put one in the Win column".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not sure "We flipped Georgia blue" is the best political idiom to boost Labour with.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Gonzo McFee posted:

Brexit really absolutely hosed us.

The second biggest reason is amusing too:
https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1376956258230673408

Keith's toed the line of the Tories' pandemic response almost every step of the way and it was still too much boat rocking for the British public.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zoom, enhance

lmao

Yes the correct spelling is over on the left but lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's almost like when you are a complete political non entity people are just gonna think the same thing they've always thought.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also wow the north is full of horrible old tories whodathunkit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
While dunking on Starmer is always a good thing I'm not sure there's any possible Labour leader that wouldn't get similar results considering the constant messaging of the right-wing shitrags

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps not, but sitting there with your thumb up your bum doing nothing except piss about trying to rig internal selections all year with occasional breaks to wank off to pictures of cops beating people up isn't gonna change that.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Junior G-man posted:

Brand new podsode out for your delectation or abhorrence as we finally do the dreaded ScotPol:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1376502366363602948?s=20

hearing ppl in ur own accent say 'dunk' and all other that shite is dire

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Stop saying that stuff out loud then.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

uh... nice try lol

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Dongicus posted:

hearing ppl in ur own accent say 'dunk' and all other that shite is dire

significantly less dire than whatever you're implying mind. please do give us full guidance on what should be said and what shouldn't be said since you're such a loving authority on it. or at least a guideline o wise one

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
kind of a weird energy, they were commenting in passing on a podcast.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
you shouldnt say anything lol

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Vitamin P posted:

significantly less dire than whatever you're implying mind. please do give us full guidance on what should be said and what shouldn't be said since you're such a loving authority on it. or at least a guideline o wise one

dont poo poo urself

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I assume dunk in Scotslish is more like "donk" like "aye he was proper donkin' on'im"

which means you know what TIME IT IS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckMvj1piK58

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I assume dunk in Scotslish is more like "donk" like "aye he was proper donkin' on'im"

which means you know what TIME IT IS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckMvj1piK58

It's weird how this is basically just hardbass.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Dongicus posted:

dont poo poo urself

you're doing that enough for both of us, cry more that not every scottish person is as no-soul as you

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

that right aye?

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

I think we can ignore the 11 times probated this year alone troll.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Not being funny but it's pretty galling seeing all the Corbynistas-supporters who spent 5 years bashing PC and the SNP as fascists suddenly jumping on board the NIP.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Saith posted:

Not being funny but it's pretty galling seeing all the Corbynistas-supporters who spent 5 years bashing PC and the SNP as fascists suddenly jumping on board the NIP.

couldn't be me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Good news, I am complaining about the NIP being exactly like the SNP.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Obviously I'm not on about fervent Britnats lol

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Lungboy posted:

She's since done a 180 and is now very much in favour of decriminalisation of sex work after talking to sex workers about it, rather than her previous view of making it illegal to pay for sex.

those two views are mutually compatible though arent they?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The two genders, britnat and corbynite.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Saith posted:

Obviously I'm not on about fervent Britnats lol

had i a button right now so that the rain on this rainy fash island might never end and it would sink beneath the same waves it had so used to subjugate the world - i don't know if i would press it but i would have to think very, very hard about it. it is honestly kind of difficult for me to articulate how i feel about this place in any more clear language than that.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

Obviously that was a really good response from Lammy, it's what we'd love to see more of, but you can't play the civic liberal nationalism card while still holding the African diaspora card.

gently caress off out of this thread.

For racism this time.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the british state is a parasite upon the people of this world, good lord. and to be absolutely unambiguous, as it has come out on numerous occasions, that which i most strenuously and passionately most object to nationalism as expressed in this thread sometimes is the unbridled audacity to pick any even vaguely guiltless narrative to what we did. are doing, will do. like, you could write a paper - i'm sure many have - about that impulse, to glom on to anything - boring authoritarian flag shagging/poppy fetishism/imperial apologist denialism all the way to left wing sovereign-citizenship-but-for-international-atrocity absolutely anything that supposedly absolves themselves of this guilt - everything is about casting us as the good guys, loving somehow.

feel lovely about the things you are complicit in. and no flag will help.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you like the NIP, that's bad, if you don't like the NIP, that's also bad.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

If you like the NIP, that's bad, if you don't like the NIP, that's also bad.

sometimes it feels like people in here are daring me to say things about the UK that will get me banned lmao

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

OwlFancier posted:

The two genders, britnat and corbynite.

If it looks like an anarchist and quacks like an anarchist but wants to maintain unjust hierarchies based on a 1000+ year old monarchy, it's either a Britnat or a Tanky. Or a Spiked! contributor I guess.

CoolCab posted:

had i a button right now so that the rain on this rainy fash island might never end and it would sink beneath the same waves it had so used to subjugate the world - i don't know if i would press it but i would have to think very, very hard about it. it is honestly kind of difficult for me to articulate how i feel about this place in any more clear language than that.

So... if given the option to genocide the Cymry, you wouldn't necessarily say no? Not a good look, ngl

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If only I had written repeatedly about how I don't think that cutting off the south is going to make the place any less unjustly hierarchical, or even like, this very day, or yesterday, about how I think the NIP's likely effect is just going to be to split the left vote and muddly anticapitalist criticism by trying to frame it as a problem caused by southerners, which is probably the most helpful thing in the world for the right in the UK.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
I like the NIP! I think it's cool! It's totally good and smart to like the NIP!

I just feel like there's a reason why so many people, who decried Welsh and Scottish separatism, are suddenly all for it!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

We are heading towards Full Yugoslavia, brb gonna learn the accordion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sorry I will rephrase: If you're inconsistent in your view about nationalist parties, that's bad. If you're consistent about your view of them, that's also bad.

The most important thing, of course, is that you're the only one who is right.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Saith posted:

If it looks like an anarchist and quacks like an anarchist but wants to maintain unjust hierarchies based on a 1000+ year old monarchy, it's either a Britnat or a Tanky. Or a Spiked! contributor I guess.

tankie, there's an ie at the end.

quote:

So... if given the option to genocide the Cymry, you wouldn't necessarily say no? Not a good look, ngl

if i was trying very hard i don't think i could come up with a more perfect encapsulation of the kind of mind poison you need to chug to hold these perspectives. yes, clearly, my sincere and now decades old antipathy to british imperialism, british nationalism and the british state is in fact a facade so i can genocide welsh people. and no even - spark of cognitive dissonance - like, presumably a bunch of other people would need to drown in such a scenario, you know, myself included, but no it's definitely because of a nation i have never attended in person and have no strong opinions of at all. good lord you're a clown.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbf the SNP has governed as a typical neoliberal social democratic party since it came into power, and if Scotland had gained its independence in 2014, then it would not have become the leftist utopia we wanted it to be unless Labour won the first post-indy elections under Leonard or someone like that

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Venomous posted:

tbf the SNP has governed as a typical neoliberal social democratic party since it came into power, and if Scotland had gained its independence in 2014, then it would not have become the leftist utopia we wanted it to be unless Labour won the first post-indy elections under Leonard or someone like that

also it would have been under alex salmond (and, given recent observation between then and now, i do not think allegations would have come out or if they somehow did slowed the head of state down one iota). i will give nicola sturgeon a ton of poo poo for lots of good deserving liberal reasons, she's not loving alex salmond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Venomous posted:

And in the immediate term I do not possibly see how the NIP could possibly hope to achieve its stated goal without incorporating liberals into itself and ending up in the same situation, and if it proposes to build some sort of magical left wing majority capable of achieving independence on its own terms, overruling conservative nationalist objections, then why would that not take off more readily in places like London? Why would you not use that to just make the place better for everyone who lives on this blighted island?