Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I won't TVIV further but there's gonna be a lot of information to come out of this Biden conference.

For example he just announced that 5,000 beds at Fort Bliss are being made available immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fritz the Horse posted:

I won't TVIV further but there's gonna be a lot of information to come out of this Biden conference.

For example he just announced that 5,000 beds at Fort Bliss are being made available immediately.

he's also bragging about deportation numbers and telling a weird unproven thing about Mexico 'refusing' people back

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"They should all be going back" is a grim immigration statement, Trump level nationalistic insane poo poo to say but of course nobody's calling him on it

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
"Actually, it's ephebophilia"ing about the kids in your cages being 16 and 17 is definitely A Move

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Homora Gaykemi posted:

"Actually, it's ephebophilia"ing about the kids in your cages being 16 and 17 is definitely A Move

I genuinely don't believe Joe Biden gives a single poo poo about anyone in those camps. Like before I was more thinking he was just apathetic but now between 'it'll get better and we'll let you see inside...eventually...sometime soon...' and this poo poo I just genuinely can't imagine anything but disdain from him to those kids.

I mean, not shocking, look how he's treated black people for the past half century, but still.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

he's also bragging about deportation numbers and telling a weird unproven thing about Mexico 'refusing' people back

I believe that's a reference to CBP night-flying deportees (literally, putting them on planes and moving them) from one border sector to another because the Mexican authorities in some sectors are refusing to take custody of kids from them.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Is there a thread for US immigration advice?

nosering
Oct 12, 2012
Besides the abhorrent conditions at the Southern border, I would like to know if anyone actually knows anything about the state of "legal" immigration to the US, because I've been dealing with it for a couple of years now and even as a Canadian, it's insane how it works in practice, and I do feel if Americans knew how their immigration system worked they'd be a bit more sympathetic to the plight of migrants. You'd be surprised how many people I talk to who are taken aback by the fact that you can't just up and move to the US for no reason, and these are millenials I'm referring to.

Even with NAFTA visas, the process for doing this without money or representation seem slim to none, and I wonder if Biden will do anything to curb the absolute nonsense that is your border and immigration policy beyond treating asylum seekers and migrants as people.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

nosering posted:

Besides the abhorrent conditions at the Southern border, I would like to know if anyone actually knows anything about the state of "legal" immigration to the US, because I've been dealing with it for a couple of years now and even as a Canadian, it's insane how it works in practice, and I do feel if Americans knew how their immigration system worked they'd be a bit more sympathetic to the plight of migrants. You'd be surprised how many people I talk to who are taken aback by the fact that you can't just up and move to the US for no reason, and these are millenials I'm referring to.

Even with NAFTA visas, the process for doing this without money or representation seem slim to none, and I wonder if Biden will do anything to curb the absolute nonsense that is your border and immigration policy beyond treating asylum seekers and migrants as people.

Flipside - I was looking at what it would take to be able to move to Canada a while back (like 2014 or 2015) and it is honestly just as onerous. If you don't have a job lined up before you move and don't speak French you basically aren't getting in. There is no country with a sane and fair immigration process in the present, outside of maybe for EU people going to other EU countries.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

BougieBitch posted:

Flipside - I was looking at what it would take to be able to move to Canada a while back (like 2014 or 2015) and it is honestly just as onerous. If you don't have a job lined up before you move and don't speak French you basically aren't getting in. There is no country with a sane and fair immigration process in the present, outside of maybe for EU people going to other EU countries.

iirc New Zealand wasn't too bad if you had in-demand skills but I haven't looked since 2016

The actual immigration process and caps on numbers of people that are allowed in legally are things that have to be addressed through Congress, I believe.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Groda posted:

Is there a thread for US immigration advice?
There used to be one I helped curate in Ask/Tell but it fell into disuse and is now closed. I don't know there is anything similar active at the moment.

nosering posted:

I am only a paralegal, but I have worked in immigration for more than ten years. Fritz is correct, a lot of the actual substance of the process is legislative and Biden can't summarily increase the number of visas issued or change the requirements on his own, it requires congress to actually act (which has basically been dead in the water for 20 years, Bush made an effort but his bill died without a vote). Comprehensive immigration reform is a sprawling issue that doesn't have any real clear party alignment so even when one party is in control it doesn't go anywhere. The administration can steer how legislation is interpreted and applied, though, and the previous administration used that ability fairly vindictively. There are things that Biden can do in the same way, but most real reforms need legislative action.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

BougieBitch posted:

no, not really. The US is extra onerous compared to other countries. I emigrated to france 7 years ago, and the path I took was student visa -> graduate university with a masters -> work visa. Getting a student visa didn't require I spoke french, but it did require financial backing (which I lucked into by having experience in a not too common programming language that a CNRS lab wanted developers for), and it required me scraping by for a good few years.

If you have a bachelors or higher, it's still possible to get a work visa in france, and your legal status is way less tenuous than what you would get as a skilled person going to the US (H1B visa is a loving travesty and makes you a slave of your employer). I had a friend from china with a doctorate that emigrated to france, and her work visa let her stay for half a year fully unemployed without much issue, while she'd be out on her rear end if she had an H1B visa in the US.

things for the EU aren't easy, but the US's immigration system is really really really bad.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Little horror story of someone I know personally:

H1b only lasts for 6 years. After that, you have to leave the country. Only exception is if you are in the process of applying for a green card. So this person, who is a Spanish teacher, was hired by a fancy boarding school. This boarding school decided to sponsor their green card. So they had an H1b while the greencard was being processed. Except that in the labor certification part of the process (employment based green card has to show they tried to hire an american first), the agency in charge of doing the labor certification decided to audit the application, because it listed knowledge of Spanish as a job requirement, and they found it suspicious that a Spanish teacher had to know Spanish. The audit took several years, so this person had used up the 6 years of H1b. Now, they could extend the H1b year by year as long as the green card process was under way. But here's the thing: the H1b allows you to stay in the country, but your visa can expire. And since visas can only be renewed at an embassy or consulate, and since it was a year by year thing, this person had valid paperwork but an expired visa (which allows you to stay in the US, but not to enter the US). This person's mother died. But to attend the funeral, they would need to leave the country. And to leave the country, they would need a visa to get back in. The consulate's next appointment for a visa renewal interview was 2 months out. They tried to get an emergency renewal due to the passing away of their mother, but the consulate deemed that that was not an emergency. So their choices were: go to their home country, attend the funeral, but then be stuck there for 2 months, at which point they'd lose their American job, lose the green card application, and then not be able to go back to the US at all, or miss their mother's funeral. Which is what ended up happening.

nosering
Oct 12, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I am only a paralegal, but I have worked in immigration for more than ten years. Fritz is correct, a lot of the actual substance of the process is legislative and Biden can't summarily increase the number of visas issued or change the requirements on his own, it requires congress to actually act (which has basically been dead in the water for 20 years, Bush made an effort but his bill died without a vote). Comprehensive immigration reform is a sprawling issue that doesn't have any real clear party alignment so even when one party is in control it doesn't go anywhere. The administration can steer how legislation is interpreted and applied, though, and the previous administration used that ability fairly vindictively. There are things that Biden can do in the same way, but most real reforms need legislative action.

that really is a shame tbh, my partner lives there for work and basically the only options I have at the moment are TN visas (tied to NAFTA, which every occupation that it covers has not been updated since its inception and you and your lawyers have to basically twist and turn your job descriptions to fit this narrow framework, then you apply directly at the border where CBP, whom none have any credentials to actually see if you're applicable or not, judge if you are), I wait to see if a class action lawsuit I'm apart of is successful and I'm allowed to attain FN status (this has also been going on for over 8 years at the moment, and with covid might finish at the end of the year but unlikely, and considering how native issues are dealt with in Canada this could be unsuccessful), or they get their green card and we get married (which will also take several years until they're eligible).

Right now the visa they're on doesn't allow me to work there even if we get married, so I'm getting pretty defeated by the whole thing.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Condiv posted:

no, not really. The US is extra onerous compared to other countries. I emigrated to france 7 years ago, and the path I took was student visa -> graduate university with a masters -> work visa. Getting a student visa didn't require I spoke french, but it did require financial backing (which I lucked into by having experience in a not too common programming language that a CNRS lab wanted developers for), and it required me scraping by for a good few years.

If you have a bachelors or higher, it's still possible to get a work visa in france, and your legal status is way less tenuous than what you would get as a skilled person going to the US (H1B visa is a loving travesty and makes you a slave of your employer). I had a friend from china with a doctorate that emigrated to france, and her work visa let her stay for half a year fully unemployed without much issue, while she'd be out on her rear end if she had an H1B visa in the US.

things for the EU aren't easy, but the US's immigration system is really really really bad.

I mean, your examples are yourself (with financial backing, an in-demand degree, and a specifically desirable skill, as well as an acceptance letter from an institution) and a friend with a PhD - that's not exactly a standard situation. I think it's fair to say that if the average person from South America, or even the US, tried to immigrate to France they would be summarily denied, and whether the rules are more or less stringent for specific highly-skilled laborers is really incidental to the general thrust of what I was saying. As lovely as the US is, the biggest reason that it is even a conversation people have is because there is such a degree of economic disparity between (parts of) South and Central America and the United States, and the existence of a land route makes it possible for refugees to knock on our doors. In contrast, France could never HAVE this sort of border crisis because it is surrounded on all sides by other EU countries, so they don't have to worry about conditions of refugee camps or anything like that.

In a lot of ways, there are obvious parallels to how the US has always been the easy country to point to with a racism problem, but then you still have plenty of racists and nationalists in Europe who went unnoted because the relative lack of targets - a lot of the political dynamics of Europe in the last decade or two are most easily understood through these lenses. Just for starters, you have a lot of the Brexit stuff being framed in terms of undesirables coming from Eastern Europe, you have Turkey threatening to send Syrian refugees on to the EU if they muck around too much, and even the infamous PIGS from the 2008 austerity measures make up the parts of Europe with the strongest historical connections with North Africa.

Sorry, that's a bit of a tangent for the US Immigration thread, but I think a lot of people want to be all "why not done" about US immigration reform without really acknowledging how unusual the US is just in terms of being both a desirable destination and an accessible one - not to excuse the US's policy, but to acknowledge how much effort will need to be put in if we want it to improve, because there really isn't a blueprint

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 30, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I have a friend who was a blonde white lady from Canada with a marketable job/degree and the full support of her company and a rich family in the US.

She still got stuck back in Canada for 2 months after living here for a decade because some immigration fuckup, with literally every possible privilege and advantage going for her.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A decade into an intense refugee crisis that several right-wing parties have ridden to prominence, with refugee camps set up in every European country, and occasionally set on fire by fascists, it's weird for anyone to suggest that European racism isn't being made clear enough because they don't get as many takers as the US.

And yeah, I know several people who have had to deal with immigration in Europe, Canada, and the US, and US is definitely the worst of the bunch. Post-Brexit UK is angling to contend, of course.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://twitter.com/NicoleSganga/status/1376980799833116672

https://twitter.com/NicoleSganga/status/1376983014081712131

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

e: gently caress, you beat me to it.

Yeah, this is...pretty drat ugly. This part in particular is grim:

https://twitter.com/NicoleSganga/status/1376985227592146948

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

BougieBitch posted:

I HAVE said wait and see, but I explicitly said "wait and see for no longer than one week" either here or in the USPOL thread. In terms of what to hope for, we have this from this morning:
https://www.axios.com/senior-biden-officials-make-border-visit-4eb4c8ea-340b-466c-b3be-c252a7afd86f.html

Which, if you read the article and not just the headline, specifically includes letting congresspeople and a news camera in to view the facility, so you can literally just put a lid on this discussion for another day and then start it back up with video evidence, witness testimony, and maybe an interview with some of the people there.

Okay, so we waited a week to see that it wasn't a fisheye lens or whatever

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Majorian posted:

e: gently caress, you beat me to it.

Yeah, this is...pretty drat ugly. This part in particular is grim:

https://twitter.com/NicoleSganga/status/1376985227592146948

Yeah, the crowding is as bad and probably worse than I'd assumed. Really highlights how absolutely overwhelmed the system is.

I agree that "self-separation" is particularly grim.

Seems like a catch-22 for the Biden admin. They can't legally allow the families in, that would take an act of Congress. I mean, Biden could theoretically just say gently caress the law, let them all in, but that would simply result in courts immediately issuing injunctions :(

But, turning the families back is resulting in them sending their kids unaccompanied and the kids are allowed through for humanitarian reasons. And we're not remotely able to humanely house and process kids through to host families in the US right now.

Highlights the need for comprehensive immigration reform ASAP because the situation is not going to get better and current conditions are terrible.

edit: I heard John Thune on the radio blaming the situation on Biden for not building the wall. Which... :thunk:

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 30, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Well that's pretty awful.

I heard today that San Diego convention center has like 700 kids being housed there and now CBP is just going to set up concentration camps under bridges.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Fritz the Horse posted:

Yeah, the crowding is as bad and probably worse than I'd assumed. Really highlights how absolutely overwhelmed the system is.

I agree that "self-separation" is particularly grim.

Seems like a catch-22 for the Biden admin. They can't legally allow the families in, that would take an act of Congress. I mean, Biden could theoretically just say gently caress the law, let them all in, but that would simply result in courts immediately issuing injunctions :(

But, turning the families back is resulting in them sending their kids unaccompanied and the kids are allowed through for humanitarian reasons. And we're not remotely able to humanely house and process kids through to host families in the US right now.

Highlights the need for comprehensive immigration reform ASAP because the situation is not going to get better and current conditions are terrible.

edit: I heard John Thune on the radio blaming the situation on Biden for not building the wall. Which... :thunk:

Yeah, we already had the article about how Trump deliberately ignored requests to get the ball rolling on additional facilities, so now we have a bunch of horrible short-term fixes. We at least have a better understanding of the scope now that the media has done some reports, but I don't see any real indication that we have hit any sort of inflection point, and while Biden has said some of the right words in terms of calling the situation unacceptable, it's still unclear how any of this could feasibly be resolved.

Jaxyon posted:

Well that's pretty awful.

I heard today that San Diego convention center has like 700 kids being housed there and now CBP is just going to set up concentration camps under bridges.

Yeah, there are at least three different convention center sites now, IIRC, and I don't think we've seen anything from inside of them. It's especially bad because my recollection from the articles I was reading last week is that those ones are intended to be medium-term housing run by HHS, with the duration of the stays in the range of a month or two, but the contracts are only for 2 or 3 months, so they basically are there to process exactly as many kids as their maximum capacity and no more. I don't think I've seen any estimates of the total number of children that were staying in border towns during Trump, but that's the key number we need to know - this has definitely hit the point where if things continue like this in terms of the number of crossings and the processing backlog for even another 2 weeks things are going to get REALLY grim - the conditions are obviously unacceptable right now, but we are going to start seeing more deaths in detention if they can't start observing quarantine measures and distancing requirements.

I'm not really sure what else is in Biden's purview, either. They already loosened the hiring requirements evidently, but the government is not designed to hire people on as quickly as they are needed here and it isn't like Donna, TX has the capacity to sustain all of these kids and the workforce needed to care for them. I still don't know what the solution is in the short-term, but Biden needs to be shouting at Congress to fix it publicly if nothing else, and I haven't seen any indications that has been happening even privately - the only pieces of legislation anyone is talking about right now are the infrastructure bill and the voting rights bill, which are both important in their own right but not nearly as urgent as getting these kids into something resembling habitable conditions. Maybe they can get some more spending for facilities authorized in the infrastructure bill, but I don't see that happening in time to prevent this from reaching a tipping point.

This part:
"Senior CBP officials told reporters more than 1200 migrants are processed and waiting to be transferred to HHS facilities. HHS has nowhere to put them"

is the part that is the most hosed up of all. Even where we have been able to get the drat paperwork done, we STILL don't have enough places to put them, despite opening up all these convention center sites and hotels. Maybe part of that is just the fact that the HHS facilities haven't enough time to match kids to families, but that was never going to happen on the timeline we are looking at.

At least make the Republicans vote something down, this has been going on too long now for a bill not to have made it to the Senate.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

Seems like a catch-22 for the Biden admin. They can't legally allow the families in, that would take an act of Congress. I mean, Biden could theoretically just say gently caress the law, let them all in, but that would simply result in courts immediately issuing injunctions

Yeah the idea that Biden can't stop detaining families is bunk. They could let families in and give them a notice to appear for an immigration or asylum hearing. This was in fact what the US was doing in most cases prior to 2014, barring circumstances such as a parent being found with weapons or drugs or having criminal priors. Choosing to imprison or expel families while they await their hearings rather than just giving them a date to show up and letting them into the country in the meantime is an executive policy choice embodied in DHS rules and memoranda, not mandated by statute. In fact, the courts have ruled almost entirely to limit how the executive can detain families and minors when those rules have been challenged in court.

Here's what the 9th circuit said on this subject three months ago:

quote:

The government has three primary options when DHS encounters an accompanied minor: (1) release all family members, (2) detain the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) and release the minor to a parent or legal guardian, or transfer the minor to HHS as an unaccompanied minor, or (3) detain the family together at an appropriate family detention center. The panel observed that the government prefers the third option, but that the Agreement flatly precludes that approach.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/ca9/19-56326/19-56326-2020-12-29.html

Note that first option.

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe
People in this thread often ask for alternatives to detaining and imprisoning migrants in concentration camps. Long before reopening previously closed concentration camps, Joe Biden on the campaign trail expressed an idea:

https://twitter.com/MandelaFace/status/1376558366349127683

I know the president reduced it to "No one is traveling to the US because Joe Biden is a nice guy" during his embarrassing press conference, but it's probably true that campaign rhetoric like this led to the spike in migrants coming to the border. I think his administration probably should have tried to devise a more humane method to deal with that spike, as he suggested he would when campaigning on "No more kids in cages."

Hey are you willing to admit yet that the people in these facilities appear to be spaced closer than 6 feet apart, or do the pictures and video still not prove that?

the 2016 lover fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 31, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

The Oldest Man posted:

Yeah the idea that Biden can't stop detaining families is bunk. They could let families in and give them a notice to appear for an immigration or asylum hearing. This was in fact what the US was doing in most cases prior to 2014, barring circumstances such as a parent being found with weapons or drugs or having criminal priors. Choosing to imprison or expel families while they await their hearings rather than just giving them a date to show up and letting them into the country in the meantime is an executive policy choice embodied in DHS rules and memoranda, not mandated by statute. In fact, the courts have ruled almost entirely to limit how the executive can detain families and minors when those rules have been challenged in court.

Here's what the 9th circuit said on this subject three months ago:

Note that first option.

That seems like an option, but unless I'm misunderstanding we still urgently need to increase caps on the number of immigrants and refugees allowed in through legislation. We still have the bottleneck of a limited number of migrants actually being granted legal status after their hearing.

It would be a lot better if people were released into the country pending hearings I agree, but until we get legislative reforms most of them are going to end up expelled eventually.

I don't think we're really disagreeing, there are multiple steps in the process and I really really would like to see quick action toward legislative reform because everything else seems like stopgap measures.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

the 2016 lover posted:

People in this thread often ask for alternatives to detaining and imprisoning migrants in concentration camps. Long before reopening previously closed concentration camps, Joe Biden on the campaign trail expressed an idea:

They are not concentration camps.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Why do you believe this?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Would you call them internment camps?

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
-

The Oldest Man posted:

There are notable differences between now and 2014, foremost among them a pandemic that has been going on for a year now, a previous admin that has only been gone for two months that intentionally created a backlog and hobbled the existing system, and concurrent economic and political crises that also require legislative answers. You also are choosing to cite a case that is not the most recent precedent - the Biden admin tried to keep CBP from sending people away on planes and the court ruled that Biden's attempted moratorium could not be implemented: https://www.texastribune.org/2021/01/26/texas-joe-biden-deportation-moratorium-ken-paxton/
Here's a follow-up a month after that (which is a month before present day): https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/bidens-deportation-moratorium-may-never-take-effect-because-of-court-challenges/
It's not clear that he can do what you are claiming through executive order without being instantly contravened by Republican judges, doubly so considering that the cases will be brought in Texas first and foremost. On top of that, letting people through without testing them for COVID and quarantining them if they have it is a huge public health risk that would also power a huge wave of anti-immigrant sentiment - Abbott has already been trying to gin it up despite the fact that he was doing a terrible job of managing Texas case numbers all by himself. On top of that, where would these people go, exactly? All the hotels that the admin contracted are already full, so are all the convention centers. Are you just going to send them into Texas and hope that the gentle hand of capitalism gets them food and shelter somehow? As lovely as everything is with regards to these facilities, I don't think I've seen any claims of malnourishment, which would be a genuine concern for at least some of the people crossing the border.
I don't have a concrete solution here, but "let them into the country in the meantime" is so simplistic that it is completely meaningless, and we've been through this multiple times just in the last 5 pages.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Why do you believe this?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/concentration-camp

quote:

Concentration camp, internment centre for political prisoners and members of national or minority groups who are confined for reasons of state security, exploitation, or punishment, usually by executive decree or military order. Persons are placed in such camps often on the basis of identification with a particular ethnic or political group rather than as individuals and without benefit either of indictment or fair trial. Concentration camps are to be distinguished from prisons interning persons lawfully convicted of civil crimes and from prisoner-of-war camps in which captured military personnel are held under the laws of war. They are also to be distinguished from refugee camps or detention and relocation centres for the temporary accommodation of large numbers of displaced persons.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Would you call them internment camps?

No, see above.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
youre angrier at the terminology than the existence of the camps

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wouldn't call the "trial" you get in front of immigration "judges" (actually employees of the DOJ) "fair".

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

paranoid randroid posted:

youre angrier at the terminology than the existence of the camps

The conditions are absolutely unacceptable.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I wouldn't call the "trial" you get in front of immigration "judges" (actually employees of the DOJ) "fair".

There is no such thing as a fair trial under capitalism anyway.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Are they still doing that thing where they make children stand in front of the judge alone? I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
at what point does it become acceptable to call a facility that is overcrowded to the point of making it impossible to contain the spread of a virulent disease and is run by the kind of people who kick over water stockpiles so that prospective inhabitants of said facility are more likely to die in the desert a "concentration camp" as opposed to a "detention center"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There is no such thing as a fair trial under capitalism anyway.

In this case it probably had more to do with completely neutering the immigration court system and just out of hand rejecting far and away the vast majority of southern hemisphere applicants for both visas and asylum requests

eg

https://trac.syr.edu/immigration/reports/588/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Absurd Alhazred posted:

a lot of that remains Jeff Sessions trash that has yet to be untangled - his single most successful initiatives were A) altering immigration judge rules such that nobody who failed the paper bag test could ever be shown mercy without the immediate firing of the immigration judge, and B) influencing the hiring of immigration judges to lean towards people who are alright with A

barr wasn't as excited about Make America White Again, but he was perfectly happy to carry on with the sessions policies

i suspect that like many trump policies it's going to take a bit to untangle that garbage

Herstory Begins Now posted:

In this case it probably had more to do with completely neutering the immigration court system and just out of hand rejecting far and away the vast majority of southern hemisphere applicants for both visas and asylum requests

eg

https://trac.syr.edu/immigration/reports/588/

yeah

at what point does it become acceptable to call a facility that is overcrowded to the point of making it impossible to contain the spread of a virulent disease and is run by the kind of people who kick over water stockpiles so that prospective inhabitants of said facility are more likely to die in the desert a "concentration camp" as opposed to a "detention center"

"horrible overcrowded intake camp run by Nazis" and "concentration camp" are not synonyms; as I have argued in the past and will argue in the future, intent matters

concentration camps were historically designed to contain people entirely indefinitely, either for the purpose of removing them from their land or for the purpose of fighting an insurgency, or usually, both

a subset of trump's deportation camps could plausibly be called concentration camps, insofar as he did not particularly give a poo poo about what happened to the residents and the intent was to remove them from the united states

intake camps, no matter how horrific, are not concentration camps in the same way as that, and certainly not in the same way as Japanese-American internment camps or the various colonial "let's force everybody in this region into camps so we can starve the rebels of resources and/or shoot everybody not in the camps"

the use of the term "concentration camps" here is at best an ill-analyzed misnomer

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

You should perhaps bookmark the encyclopedic definition posted above so that you can refer to it whenever you find yourself asking this question.