Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
same *exclusively uses the right bumper menu to navigate in p5r after May or so*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I banned myself from using it in Royale, There's a ton of cool NPC's you miss out on if you fast travel. Another example of Dev's giving gamers too much power

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd pop around with fast travel now and then, but I mostly hoofed it around. Getting lost in train stations was a fun time.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Gaius Marius posted:

I banned myself from using it in Royale, There's a ton of cool NPC's you miss out on if you fast travel. Another example of Dev's giving gamers too much power

I understand that this is true and that first week of the third semester where your fast travel is limited is kinda nice because I hadn’t actually run around the train station in a while and I felt like the ritual of it is calming but this game is already clocking in at over 100 hours I don’t think you need to tack on a couple more of just moving to different spots or going to school every day

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
drunk-kun by leblanc does always have valuable things to say, tbf

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish I'd used fast travel less in Royal because (third semester spoilers) I bet there are NPCs I would've passed by and occasionally talked to who had changes in the third semester that would've been interesting. As it is I talked to/eavesdropped on everyone I could during the third semester, starting with the part when you can't fast travel, and it made me wonder if some of the NPCs were characters I could've talked to/learned something about earlier.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

PMush Perfect posted:

I was halfway to just posting it with "too bad, doing it anyways", so this is more than enough of an excuse to get into it. As a quick disclaimer, I have a lot of love for Persona 3 Portable (big surprise, I know), so I'm more than a little biased. So I'm going to try to discuss this through the lens of what I think the intent of each link was, rather than spending too much time discussing execution, and whether or not the game actually manages to make the Link land.

Huge blanket spoiler warning for Persona 3, obviously.

Are you going to explore both Arcanas for Akihiko/Shinjiro/Aigis? Since their actual Arcana is different from their Link.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

same *exclusively uses the right bumper menu to navigate in p5r after May or so*

That's basically why I liked P3P lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Are you going to explore both Arcanas for Akihiko/Shinjiro/Aigis? Since their actual Arcana is different from their Link.
I might! Though I’m trying to keep it to just what the game actively presents. Once I start getting lost in the sauce on inferences, I’m not coming back.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

I've never actually seen the full context for the Ken thing. Is it straight up you accept his confession of a crush and reciprocate, or is it accepting with like a, try again in 10 years and you might have a chance thing?

You confess to him when he asks why you're even bothering to hangout with him, say "you're fine the way you are" when he laments not being an adult, and invite him to your room.
Ken social link bad

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Gruckles posted:

You confess to him when he asks why you're even bothering to hangout with him, say "you're fine the way you are" when he laments not being an adult, and invite him to your room.
Ken social link bad

Oh holy poo poo that’s worse than both the options I presented and one of them was bad to begin with what the gently caress Atlus (or possibly the translation team making it worse than it was but either way drat).

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

The game loses so much when you strip out the environments and modeled scenes, I'm very baffled by people suggesting P3P over FES if you have the choice.
The Female social links are also a total mixed bag just like the male ones, it has a rather outsized reputation on these forums

Agree 100%, P3P is absolutely the best in gameplay terms so it's ideal for replays but I wouldn't recommend it for a first time experience, I believe the animations, exploration of the town and the male MC's mood all make for a more immersive story.
And yeah, I also think the Female MC's social links are a bit overrated, sure there are plenty of good ones, specially those that let us see a new side of the already existing characters, but I don't think they're better on average than the male ones, the new characters' are specially disappointing, with Hermit being like the one social link in the franchise that makes you wonder if you somehow got a "bad ending" when you finish it.

Gaius Marius posted:

I remember I started that game with the same conviction, but then Shibuya's station layout crushed it to bits.

Petiso fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 30, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kinda liked Saori but the ending to her s link was uh, thematic to put it politely.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Acerbatus posted:

I kinda liked Saori but the ending to her s link was uh, thematic to put it politely.
OH BOY DO I HAVE A LOT TO SAY ABOUT SAORI’S SOCIAL LINK.

I’ll probably do Emperor, Heirophant, Lovers, and Chariot tomorrow.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Saori's link is like... if you think through all the implications of it one of the, if not the, darkest links period. It's just never made explicit, so it's easy to miss. And also it spends forever being tedious and boring, so it's even easier to miss.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

That's basically why I liked P3P lol

I'd be lying if I said I've never been to Tartarus just because I couldn't be bothered to walk MC to bed. :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaius Marius posted:

I dunno, sometimes I wonder if the lack of attachment shown In these halls to P3 is created by people not being fully immersed in the environs like they would've been in FES, probably impossible to tell

Lmao no, this isn't it at all

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh there's a whole separate Persona thread? And here I was posting in the SMT thread like a fool

Looking forward to April 9 when I can start my real-time Persona 5 Royal playthrough

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh there's a whole separate Persona thread? And here I was posting in the SMT thread like a fool

Looking forward to April 9 when I can start my real-time Persona 5 Royal playthrough

Like I asked there, isnt that going to kind of make it a chore to just start it up, raise two stats and quit?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Power on the game to eat a burger, save, and then quit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

Like I asked there, isnt that going to kind of make it a chore to just start it up, raise two stats and quit?

I play a lot of idle games so this is fine. I have a bunch of "priority" games I want to focus on in April and this is adding a layer of novelty to the experience, I wouldn't do it for a first playthrough. I don't how how other people game but I always have a game that I do hourslong sessions of and one specifically that I just pop in for a few minutes to tick off some things before bed -- P5R will be taking that place.

It's also taking advantage of the fact I have a PS5 now so I can just keep P5R in rest mode on my PS4 to pop in and out.

Also I'll probably be playing that card game they added a bunch lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 30, 2021

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just had this same idea myself. I have 4 trophies to go to Plat and was thinking I might play real-time like this to get them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Per the framing story shouldn't you be starting in like October or November?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'll do that for my third playthrough after I also unlock the ability to travel back in time :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SubG posted:

Per the framing story shouldn't you be starting in like October or November?

This but you have to play everything from the start of the game up until the end of the interrogation in one sitting, since the interrogation took place in one sitting

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You need to speedrun it in the handful of hours that the interrogation would've taken.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
... you know exam days for this run will literally be about 3 or so x presses and then you put the console back in sleep mode...

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

You need to speedrun it in the handful of hours that the interrogation would've taken.

Looks like the world record speedrun gets through that part of the game in about 12 hours. Totally doable!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Spiffster posted:

... you know exam days for this run will literally be about 3 or so x presses and then you put the console back in sleep mode...

Yes, I have thought of this.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's been long enough that I've convinced myself to revisit Persona 5 and play Royal for the first time.

It's close enough to the actual starting date of the game, and in order to spice things up while also keeping this playthrough going while I have a whole bunch of other stuff, I'm planning to play this game like a background game and do it in real time: as best I can, play through things on the actual date they occur.

This means I'll schedule palace runs when I can do them all on that day, and if for some reason I can't, I'll force myself to leave the palace and come back the next day. If I miss some days I'm not going to scuttle the run or anything, I'll just catch up when possible -- the main thing will not to get ahead of the real-life date. When the plot skips through days (like exams) I will just save as soon as possible and come back to it when real life has caught up.

I haven't spoiled myself too much for Royal, so is there anything I should keep in mind for this plan?

Edit:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 31, 2021

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
wanting to do that is a sign that your desires have become twisted and that you have a palace

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

wanting to do that is a sign that your desires have become twisted and that you have a palace

Name: Charlie Foxtrot
What they see it as: Sea-monkey Castle Shaped Like Virtual Tokyo

edit: huh my phone is beeping that’s weird

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

Name: Charlie Foxtrot
What they see it as: Sea-monkey Castle Shaped Like Virtual Tokyo

edit: huh my phone is beeping that’s weird

Just be careful of who you drag into help out with it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Hunt11 posted:

Just be careful of who you drag into help out with it.

Gonna make sure to look behind every column in sight to see if my sexy sociopathic genius rival is hiding there, I’m not a dummy

Edit: honestly I don’t know why they go through the trouble of showing Akechi watching everyone go into Okumura’s Palace. He was gonna figure it out anyways, people far dumber than him pick up on it and it’s not like anyone would have said “well how would he know?” if it wasn’t shown. It would honestly be more impressive if he didn’t actually see it and just used his abilities of deduction to figure out that the guy defending the Phantom Thieves who’s only friends are victims of the Phantom Thieves’ targets and brings his cat everywhere is sus af

Actually I wanna know how a dude bringing his cat everywhere just slips under the radar.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 31, 2021

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

Actually I wanna know how a dude bringing his cat everywhere just slips under the radar.

Therapy pet :woof:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

DC Murderverse posted:

Gonna make sure to look behind every column in sight to see if my sexy sociopathic genius rival is hiding there, I’m not a dummy

Edit: honestly I don’t know why they go through the trouble of showing Akechi watching everyone go into Okumura’s Palace. He was gonna figure it out anyways, people far dumber than him pick up on it and it’s not like anyone would have said “well how would he know?” if it wasn’t shown. It would honestly be more impressive if he didn’t actually see it and just used his abilities of deduction to figure out that the guy defending the Phantom Thieves who’s only friends are victims of the Phantom Thieves’ targets and brings his cat everywhere is sus af

Don't you know he's a violent criminal, would you question him about his bag cat?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

In the Persona 5 anime, Akechi is shown stalking the group in the Metaverse much earlier than that. He's seen in the shadows watching Kaneshiro's change of heart. This was implied in the game as well, because he could understand Morgana's voice pretty early on, and he could only do that if he actually heard Morgana speak while in the Metaverse. I think at that point he doesn't yet know who the Phantom Thieves are in real life, but that's what he finds out when he sees you entering/exiting Okumura's Palace.

I think showing him outside Okumura's Palace was partially a misdirection--letting you think that's when he learned about the Metaverse, as he claims later--and to set up why he was there to take a picture of the group coming back to the real world.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

DC Murderverse posted:

I would've loved it if in the scene where Akechi approaches the group for a team-up, he just points to Ryuji as the reason he why knows they're the Phantom Thieves.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
TBH the lead suspects on the Phantom Thieves ought to be whoever had beef with Kamoshida, so logically those three must have been spied on from almost the beginning.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Hey friends! I began Persona 5 Royal this morning. I played Persona 5 on release, but did not finish it, and cannot really remember much outside of the protagonist, Ann, and Ryuji being the primary trio. While I still hum the battle theme with regularity, I forgot how charming the primary daily theme is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Take Over is extremely good and underrated since everyone remembers Last Surprise. Which is still great (and the Strikers version is absolutely smashing), but honestly TO is up there.