Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
SIT AND STARE, SIT AND STARE!!

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kind of prefer the spider mastermind (or 2016 in general as it was more “shoot it until it’s dead”). Stuff to avoid, but not a ton of stuff, good pattern, and you can just unload on it like crazy and their isn’t an attack lockout. Honestly I just wish the Dark Lord wasn’t just a super buffed marauder fight. It was a slog for me...although when I beat it, it did feel awesome (and this was on the easiest difficulty).

I really need to go back now and see how TAG1 is in terms of difficulty and see if I can beat it.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Holt slayer gate :negative:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

You should have seen it before!

Speaking of which, did they change the dlc1 final boss? I just ran through the whole thing again to see what changed and that boss felt slightly little less ridiculous. Maybe just the overall nerf to Blood Makyrs?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
roughly a second to kill a blood maykr is way better than half a second, yeah. i dont feel pressured into taking chrono strike anymore because of that

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So what’s the favored way to quickly kill enemies now? Rapid switching between the SSG/ballista/rocket launcher/precision bolt seems good enough for most large demons, but there was the relatively recent discovery that the rapid-fire shotgun can kill the Marauder in one stun cycle, and the tutorials suggest the quad-chaingun for the Dark Lord. Videos I’ve seen had people seem to to more damage with the quad-chaingun than when I tried quick swapping.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
i actually prefer lock-on rockets for satan, it's a guaranteed half health bar

lock-on rockets in general i think feel like a reliable killer that people sleep on too much

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbKYaTiPiY8

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

toasterwarrior posted:

i actually prefer lock-on rockets for satan, it's a guaranteed half health bar

lock-on rockets in general i think feel like a reliable killer that people sleep on too much

The only problem with lock-on rockets is how agonizingly long it takes to fire again when using them. The lock-on is quick and the shots are quick, but just like the BFG, once you shoot it you are prevented from switching weapons or shooting again for a considerable duration. It is one of those little frustrations that pile up after a while of playing (like being unable to switch grenade types during glory/chainsaw kills [never mind that we have to switch grenade types at all when there are only 2]).

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Nearly finished DLC1 on nightmare, on the final boss. Trying to figure out how to deal with the possessed dread knight and pain elemental in the part of the fight where there are big pillars with lasers. There's very little laying around the arena to top yourself off with. I got a shot of BFG left but idk how more phases this fight has left.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

That's the last phase. Easiest way seems to be to to just dump two BFG shots into the pain elemental. Finish it off, zap the ghost, then move on to the dread knight.

Also try to stay up top as much as possible. It's okay to dip down to the lower level to grab some armor/health or chainsaw one of the zombies, but if you stay down there longer than that, something WILL sneak up on you.

Edit: sorry, just re-read and saw you're down to one BFG shot. One shot + some rocket bursts should work just as well.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
This popped up in my youtube recs and it made me laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkaCLgTIfgE

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

lol that owns.

That video reminded me though: is weapon switch speed tied to framerate, or is there a trick to timing the button presses or something? A lot of these videos look like they're sped up compared to what I'm able to do, and I don't think it's my fingers - it feels like the ready speed on most of the weapons just doesn't allow for it when I try. If i go too fast then I'll have weapons come out briefly and then switch to the next one without firing. The rocket launcher in particular feels pretty slow compared to what I've seen other people do.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
is two bfg blasts directly on the possessed pain elemental ideal, i figured the better option was bfg into the far distance so the tendrils keep everything stunned while you dump into the pain ele

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So the game just won't offer me the Sentinel armor for the Dark Lord. I guess I'll have to git gud, but it should be asking me if I want to turn the armor on by now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So the game just won't offer me the Sentinel armor for the Dark Lord. I guess I'll have to git gud, but it should be asking me if I want to turn the armor on by now.

Are you sure you didn't turn that option off in the settings by accident?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Having a poo poo time with the Samur fight, I'm on the pain elemental / dread knight stage and I can focus one down but then just die when I go to kill the spirit. Only got one BFG round, too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

Hulk Krogan posted:

lol that owns.

That video reminded me though: is weapon switch speed tied to framerate, or is there a trick to timing the button presses or something? A lot of these videos look like they're sped up compared to what I'm able to do, and I don't think it's my fingers - it feels like the ready speed on most of the weapons just doesn't allow for it when I try. If i go too fast then I'll have weapons come out briefly and then switch to the next one without firing. The rocket launcher in particular feels pretty slow compared to what I've seen other people do.

I've been wondering the same thing. Some of these videos it seems like people are able to switch weapons like twice as fast as I can, not like in a "faster finger" type thing, it literally looks like the animations are sped up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

lol that owns.

ZuluDashOne posted:

I've been wondering the same thing. Some of these videos it seems like people are able to switch weapons like twice as fast as I can, not like in a "faster finger" type thing, it literally looks like the animations are sped up.

I think it's just about knowing which is the earliest frame you can shoot and then cancel the animation into another switch but I might be wrong.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Are you sure you didn't turn that option off in the settings by accident?

Yes, I checked.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

tfw your UN run is ended by-pixel perfect carcass shield placement

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Holy poo poo. Is your keyboard still in one piece?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm not mad. I'm actually laughing. This is funny to me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

tfw your UN run is ended by-pixel perfect carcass shield placement

:lol::owned::lol:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
that sucks but thankfully it's the dlc. im doing the main campaign over and have died thrice up to sentinel prime so im clearly still not sharp enough to do UN legit

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody Interesting posted:

Having a poo poo time with the Samur fight, I'm on the pain elemental / dread knight stage and I can focus one down but then just die when I go to kill the spirit. Only got one BFG round, too.

It's where I'm at. Literally with the same amount of ammo. Too tired to try now but I think it is doable. BFG > Lock on rocket barrage should be a good opener.

Jack Trades posted:

I think it's just about knowing which is the earliest frame you can shoot and then cancel the animation into another switch but I might be wrong.

ZuluDashOne posted:

I'm pretty sure there's an input buffer. Hit the weapon keybind while you're in the middle of firing your current one and it will swap as soon as it can. Which is almost instant.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Mindblast posted:

I'm pretty sure there's an input buffer. Hit the weapon keybind while you're in the middle of firing your current one and it will swap as soon as it can. Which is almost instant.

Also hold down the fire button (and or mod button if you are so inclined).

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

that sucks but thankfully it's the dlc. im doing the main campaign over and have died thrice up to sentinel prime so im clearly still not sharp enough to do UN legit

Yeah, having to restart either of the DLCs really doesnt feel as daunting as doing it with the main game. I can basically do Hell on Earth and Exultia with my eyes closed at this point but it feels like such a slog + your margin for error is tiny since you don't have most of your kit yet. Then you gotta make it through Cultist Base, which feels like that bit in Lord of the Rings where they try to climb the mountain and get turned back.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

How long is it supposed to have been between Eternal and Ancient Gods Part 2? The size of the trees in the reclaimed city makes it look like a century's passed

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

As I was going through Nekravol my girlfriend, who tends to watch me play games, compared the whole Argent energy extraction process to Monsters Inc and that's pretty accurate

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I just play on a lower difficulty because I am too lazy to do quickswapping

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I give up.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Joan posted:

How long is it supposed to have been between Eternal and Ancient Gods Part 2? The size of the trees in the reclaimed city makes it look like a century's passed

Demon sulphur is like, super fertilizer.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

That was one of the roughest bits in DLC 1 for me too.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaKdp5N9gtg

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

meanwhile, I get disorientated trying to play it on the Switch because i can't remember which button is which

Yestermoment fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 31, 2021

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The game has been out a year, and I still have been afraid to try rebinding keys in this or any game I play, but I’ve figured out using the mousewheel to quickly switch from the ssg to ballista and back for Marauders. Ultra Nightmare glitchless speed run leaderboards, here I come :haw:

For some reason, this doesn’t work in Battle Mode, skipping over the weapons I want to use. The “select default mods” menu only shows four weapons, and I think the mousewheel only switches between those four. I feel pretty pathetic whenever I try battle mode no matter the side I’m on, even if the Slayer isn’t played by someone who lights me up in a second by quickswapping.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Quickswapping sucks, I don’t like it. It feels like such weird gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Feels like home to me :shrug:. Maybe has to do with all the years of quake 3/live that I played.