Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Eddache looks at the rise and decline of the spoof movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DvBBSfQ934

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

The fact that the victim has been asking for anyone to speak to them daily for well over a year now while the people directly involved got constant praise from their peers probably didn't help the response to someome finally chiming in with "well, things are very hard" while still not directly acknowledging the actual person.
yeah, gita sucks as do all the game journo scumbags like austin walker who rushed to circle the wagons for the rape apologist kotaku editors/writers. this isnt hard.

the logic on 'why its hard' sucks too. for starters, she called the article 'mostly factual,' when the article itself has been criticized by some of the victims as basically characterizing them as asking for it. for instance, one person is characterized as 'flirted with boss, he got handsy in ways she didn't want him to' when her story is 'i did no flirting and he molested me.' so no, gita is not being 'misinterpreted by disingenuous racist twitter posters,' she just sucks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but sure, a tweet chain that makes a rape victim feel like this

https://twitter.com/alienmelon/status/1376683790983045120

is good, actually

https://twitter.com/alienmelon/status/1376668571355340804

she also blocked lawhead, lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Possibly everything there is to be said about Call of Duty: World at War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM3-QWNdTFs

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

its too late ghostlight, they don't want the good videos. they just want to yell.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/theblvckhorned/status/1376899420374114311?s=19

Contra is not okay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel like jesus representing the trangressions of a privileged class doesnt fit the bible

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

World at War was the last Call of Duty I put a lot of hours into. That Stg44 with the red dot sight oooh boy.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Her current meltdown is also because reddit has (not for the first time) called out the admins for being a bit too chummy with pedophiles so uh... cool hill to die on, Natalie.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That whole Kotaku article situation sucks poo poo. The victim's having an extremely rough time.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Endorph posted:

yeah, gita sucks as do all the game journo scumbags like austin walker who rushed to circle the wagons for the rape apologist kotaku editors/writers. this isnt hard.

the logic on 'why its hard' sucks too. for starters, she called the article 'mostly factual,' when the article itself has been criticized by some of the victims as basically characterizing them as asking for it. for instance, one person is characterized as 'flirted with boss, he got handsy in ways she didn't want him to' when her story is 'i did no flirting and he molested me.' so no, gita is not being 'misinterpreted by disingenuous racist twitter posters,' she just sucks.
To be quite blunt I don't see how big Gita hosed up refutes the claims about her motives.

The article while trash still superficially found only one party guilty. It makes it easy to not look into how it lovely framed everyone else.

That being said people online need to get their poo poo together and realize the consequences of their actions.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Endorph posted:

:me, being principled: i think that the two black people in the same industry as this white lady should have sacrificed their careers to fix this

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Impermanent posted:

:me, being principled: i think that the two black people in the same industry as this white lady should have sacrificed their careers to fix this

Making thread explaining "Why better things aren't possible" while partially buying into the target's lies is just so hard to not do. /s

People have exaggerated her as scum but c'mon.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Rockit posted:

Making thread explaining "Why better things aren't possible" while partially buying into the target's lies is just so hard to not do. /s

People have exaggerated her as scum but c'mon.

I just think maybe we didn't read the same posts. They didn't come across that way to me. they seemed, if anything, like trying to highlight exactly where to apply pressure to get the article removed.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Impermanent posted:

I just think maybe we didn't read the same posts. They didn't come across that way to me. they seemed, if anything, like trying to highlight exactly where to apply pressure to get the article removed.

I do see that but forgive me if the others in the class when the implicit if unintentional "They were right in calling you horny for your abuser" kind overshadows that. Or the shitstorm that followed.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Groovelord Neato posted:

World at War was the last Call of Duty I put a lot of hours into. That Stg44 with the red dot sight oooh boy.

WaW just had a lot of fun weapons, Juggernaut MP40 was a real rear end in a top hat combo, but the Type-100 was fun and the Ppsh with the drum of course ruled, blowing limbs off people with the PTRS, the shotguns actually having some range and tearing people up, the Garand and the M1 Carbine were fun, pretty much all the MGs were rad, vehicles on some of the maps were fun to spice things up, the killstreaks were overall cool, honestly I'd sooner play WaW again than MW2/3 which had a bunch of poo poo I just remember hating, whether glitches like the javelin suicide bomb or boring guns being the best by far.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Her current meltdown is also because reddit has (not for the first time) called out the admins for being a bit too chummy with pedophiles so uh... cool hill to die on, Natalie.

shes talking about the lindsay thing

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It is me, the highly passing and well off white woman/women, that are the real victims of this FOUL CANCEL CULTURE.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Farm Frenzy posted:

shes talking about the lindsay thing

if you read her previous posts she included the firing of Aimee as an example of cancel culture and framed it completely damning of reddit to do so.

She may be focusing on Eills in particular but she definitely views what happened on reddit on par with that.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Mother's Basement - I Hate The Promised Neverland Season 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTCYf4OJCzI

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Rockit posted:

if you read her previous posts she included the firing of Aimee as an example of cancel culture and framed it completely damning of reddit to do so.

She may be focusing on Eills in particular but she definitely views what happened on reddit on par with that.

you mean this tweet? i cant find any other ones https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/1375118758033960961

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

I mean i see it's vague but when "My dad and husband are pedophiles and i support them" is the one notable instance of firing getting fired from reddit you forgive me if i assume that's the case rather the unheard news of what the rear end in a top hat subreddits may be doing.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Contra sucks. World at War good. That's my hot take for tonight :colbert:

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Rockit posted:

I mean i see it's vague but when "My dad and husband are pedophiles and i support them" is the one notable instance of firing getting fired from reddit you forgive me if i assume that's the case rather the unheard news of what the rear end in a top hat subreddits may be doing.

i mean i just read that as a general exasperation with the internet being all bad rather than a defence of paedophilia since the following sentence is about the shrimp guy

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

Contra sucks. World at War good. That's my hot take for tonight :colbert:

Really? Noah sold it as more of a cheesy so bad it's good presentation in the russia half and problematic in asian half.
Zombie mode owns tho at least in the early stages. \m/

Farm Frenzy posted:

i mean i just read that as a general exasperation with the internet being all bad rather than a defence of paedophilia since the following sentence is about the shrimp guy

She framed reddit as an "anti-cancel-culture" space then listed an example of reddit canceling someone.

If she meant Aimee was bad she would have just said "Hired a probable pedo" not "They tried to fired someone"

Like i just think she had either a kneejerk reaction without looking to deep or took her "Remembering things is stalking" bit farther than last time rather than thinking pedos are ok but if she's talking about what i think she's talking about that's still trash

Rockit fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 31, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

im really digging these videos. by mostly ignoring the plots he manages to get way closer to the actual themes of the games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Impermanent posted:

that isnt at all what im saying. im saying that if she didnt have anything useful to offer, she shouldnt have made the thread. and if she was going to make the thread, she should have talked to lawhead about it first, because any mention of it from a big game journo sends a wave of harassment to lawhead. and if she made the thread, she shouldn't have blocked lawhead when lawhead said 'i think its bad that im getting harassed to death'. like why are you completely ignoring all that?

also, im saying austin walker can just not tweet 'i support lawhead' and then days later rush to kiss the kotaku editor who oversaw this stuff's rear end when he leaves kotaku. he can just not get involved.

i dont think suggesting 'maybe dont stick your nose into this poo poo if you arent prepared to do anything' is demanding people sacrifice their careers. getting involved without any resolve to do anything just makes it way worse. and im not blaming them for not sticking their necks out over something that happened at a site they dont work at anymore/never did, im blaming them for riling up the hornets nest and playing both sides when they didn't have to. that isnt a hard thing not to do!

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 31, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Rockit posted:

Really? Noah sold it as more of a cheesy so bad it's good presentation in the russia half and problematic in asian half.
Zombie mode owns tho at least in the early stages. \m/

Noah Also doesn't like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, and likes Bioshock Infinite. Don't get me wrong, he's still the greatest gaming critic of all time but his word isnt law

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Rockit posted:

She framed reddit as an "anti-cancel-culture" space then listed an example of reddit canceling someone.

If she meant Aimee was bad she would have just said "Hired a probable pedo" not "They tried to fired someone"

Like i just think she had either a kneejerk reaction without looking to deep or took her "Remembering things is stalking" bit farther than last time rather than thinking pedos are ok but if she's talking about what i think she's talking about that's still trash

yeah it just doesnt sound like she looked deeply into it at all, to me, considering the phrasing of the tweet. i know she says dumb poo poo all the time but i don't think shes stupid enough to actually side with the reddit mod

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

im really digging these videos. by mostly ignoring the plots he manages to get way closer to the actual themes of the games

yeah FFoE's focus on aesthetics and what those aesthetics convey is really refreshing and sets him apart in a sea of video essay people

I also like how his take on World at War contrasts with NCG's, who criticized World at War for abandoning the early CoD games' kinda "Hip Hip Hoorah For Our Boys Fighting Overseas" valorism in favor of cold statistics about the logistics and brutality of war. FFoE being German probably inoculates him to those kind Greatest Generation depictions of WW2 so the World at War approach is much more palatable.

Alaois fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 31, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

World at War is the only Call of Duty I've ever played the multiplayer of. I had a lot of fun with it even though the maps were utter tripe.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Endorph posted:

can just not get involved

yeah but getting involved is how you get attention and those sweet sweet likes

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Farm Frenzy posted:

yeah it just doesnt sound like she looked deeply into it at all, to me, considering the phrasing of the tweet. i know she says dumb poo poo all the time but i don't think shes stupid enough to actually side with the reddit mod

I don't think so either. what's actually going is still dumb poo poo she said.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

Noah Also doesn't like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, and likes Bioshock Infinite. Don't get me wrong, he's still the greatest gaming critic of all time but his word isnt law
His vids are almost always just how he feels about something and why, which really helps in not feeling overly authoritative.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Terrible Opinions posted:

His vids are almost always just how he feels about something and why, which really helps in not feeling overly authoritative.

Yeah that's true. He comes off as a very chill and humble guy and not one of those "if you disagree well gently caress you you're wrong" types

And I do want to say I actually do agree with him a lot on World at War. The portrayal of the Japanese in that game is quite problematic. In fact, a lot of bad creative decisions Treyarch would make later in their CoDs can be traced to WoW. Like in Black Ops the portrayal of the Vietnamese is downright racist. To the point where they don't even speak Vietnamese, they literally go "ching chong bong!" :yikes:

So yeah I do like WaW but it's a problematic fav for sure. ( I mean all the CoDs are problematic in some way or another but you know what I mean)

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

Guess i'll wait until the an ps3/ps2 version of world at war but the excerpts I've seen definitely proved the chesse part.
Edit: Actually i say we would probably completely agree on Waw. I actually meant what i said about the russia part as a complement to it. I love chesse.

Also IMHO he kind of has a point on bloodlines. Even it's fans like me find it very buggy and very cringe sections. He's only very wrong on whether or not some things are worth and/or charming, not the bad parts per se.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah that's true. He comes off as a very chill and humble guy and not one of those "if you disagree well gently caress you you're wrong" types

And I do want to say I actually do agree with him a lot on World at War. The portrayal of the Japanese in that game is quite problematic. In fact, a lot of bad creative decisions Treyarch would make later in their CoDs can be traced to WoW. Like in Black Ops the portrayal of the Vietnamese is downright racist. To the point where they don't even speak Vietnamese, they literally go "ching chong bong!" :yikes:

So yeah I do like WaW but it's a problematic fav for sure. ( I mean all the CoDs are problematic in some way or another but you know what I mean)
His WaW video is actually the one that I have the biggest issue with. He seemingly bought into Japanese fascist rhetoric as a legitimate representation Japanese culture and beliefs while claiming that Nazi rhetoric was not a legitimate representation of German culture and beliefs. Which does not excuse the game, but makes some of his criticism come off as extremely weird.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Endorph posted:

im blaming them for riling up the hornets nest and playing both sides when they didn't have to. that isnt a hard thing not to do!
that's fair actually. it just looked weird that those were the two specific names you mentioned - walker's hardly the only significant person who congratulated totilo recently. papaishu, seamoosi, charlie hall, cecilia (of course) shreier, etc. all congratulated totilo, for example. whereas gita conspicuously didn't. just got a bad vibe but what you said makes sense actually.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
If you liked Quinton's videos on Ancient Aliens and other weird/fake poo poo on the History channel, you'll probably like this video from Billiam about the same type of poo poo on Animal Planet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPjQ2-Xrau8

Nerdwriter1 talks about our relationship with time during the pandemic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cztCmNSVS3Q

Farm Frenzy posted:

I'm also willing to give Natalie a little bit of the benefit of the doubt here because the two most prominent articles about this Reddit admin from before the drama blew up on Reddit itself were both disgustingly transphobic, with the one directly instigating the drama "calling out" UK political parties for accepting trans women as women and the other one being written by Graham Linehan himself and full of all kinds of Helldump/Kiwi Farms poo poo on top of the legit concerns about the admin's pedo-apologia. Obviously the admin being fired was the correct course of action here, but if all I knew about this admin was that she was a trans woman being attacked by Graham Linehan I'd probably side with her out of knee-jerk reaction.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Mr.Radar posted:

If you liked Quinton's videos on Ancient Aliens and other weird/fake poo poo on the History channel, you'll probably like this video from Billiam about the same type of poo poo on Animal Planet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPjQ2-Xrau8

Nerdwriter1 talks about our relationship with time during the pandemic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cztCmNSVS3Q

I'm also willing to give Natalie a little bit of the benefit of the doubt here because the two most prominent articles about this Reddit admin from before the drama blew up on Reddit itself were both disgustingly transphobic, with the one directly instigating the drama "calling out" UK political parties for accepting trans women as women and the other one being written by Graham Linehan himself and full of all kinds of Helldump/Kiwi Farms poo poo on top of the legit concerns about the admin's pedo-apologia. Obviously the admin being fired was the correct course of action here, but if all I knew about this admin was that she was a trans woman being attacked by Graham Linehan I'd probably side with her out of knee-jerk reaction.

Fair. My issues is not realizing she screwed up and just keep on ranting. Those are totally fair reasons to make such assumption but if they need be corrected they should.