Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

In Urashima Tarō the titular fisherman grows tired of his visit to the magical palace beneath the sea and asks to return home, as a parting gift he is given a box named Tamatebako - jewel casket - and told never to open it. On his return he discovers he has been gone 300 years and everyone he knows has died. In his confusion he opens the box and from it issues forth a smoke that transforms him into an old man, because the contents had been his age.

Bogor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
And now, all of the stuff that isn't preparation for a riot...

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 1, 1933)

Peanuts (April 2, 1974)

Funky Dinkleshaft

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 29, 1937)

Out Our Way (May 11-13, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (June 4-6, 1917)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I know I tend to grumble a lot about the shittier comics in the thread, but my pick for comics that bring me joy are:

1) Wallace the Brave - This comic just oozes fun, and the small details Will Henry puts in the comic elevates it. Wallace and Spud's friendship is great because of how supportive and complementary they are of each other. It also has the nice distinction of a comic where the parents aren't constantly miserable about their kid's existence, and sometimes even joins in Wallace's fun.

2) Rae the Doe - While I love the puns and how much effort goes into the setup, I will forever respect Olivia for her Little Women-turned-JoJo's Part 4 adaptation that probably confused a lot of old people.

3) Modesty Blaise - This comic feels like it set out to make a protagonist that could kick James Bond's misogynistic rear end and it delivered. Modesty's retired from all the spywork and is just enjoying life (and her boyfriends), so she only goes on adventures to help out other people. As someone who hates how shows almost always pairs up the male and female leads, Modesty and Willie's platonic friendship is such a breath of fresh air. Also, it never fails to cheer me up whenever a goon realizes he's facing Modesty and nopes out of there.

Mikl posted:

The koala would be Steve Irwin, of course; this was a full six years before his untimely death.

Another evidence of interspecies couples having already existed before and the birdlluminati insisting that K&K are special is a huge loving lie.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Honorable Mention (#1 were it still posted): 9 Chickweed Lane

#3: For Better or For Worse/Funky Winkerbean
#2: On the Fastrack
#1: Luann

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

riderchop posted:

Honorable Mention (#1 were it still posted): 9 Chickweed Lane

#3: For Better or For Worse/Funky Winkerbean
#2: On the Fastrack
#1: Luann

Lol

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Favorites running right now are probably F Minus, Crabgrass, and Take It From The Tinkersons. They all know what they are and do it well.

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd have to say Wallace is also my fave currently running comic, with Nekonaughey a close second and B.C.N. in third.

That said, here's some comics nobody enjoys, and also Cul De Sac! :wakka:

The Dinette Set gets snippy.

Working Daze lacks personality.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is too long to be a thread title.

Cul De Sac is still better at soccer than I was.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Were we ever given a reason why the rabbits do the Easter Bunny thing?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ooh, it's hard to choose my top modern comics, much less order them. I do love Wallace the Brave, Arlo and Janis, BCN, Tinkersons, and Crabgrass, but that's not even all of the ones I like reading here, just a few that come straight to mind, that's not even mentioning the foreign comics like Nekonaughy or Boss Dharma or ones that I would consider modern but aren't running any more like Cul de Sac.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Oct. 10th, 1940

Axa

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
As a cultural icon, and the time/place of Calvin And Hobbes, it's an important strip.

However, having said that, Wallace the Brave, as an actual comic, is better than C+H ever was

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Although I don't really post much I read this thread religiously and my top picks are:

3. Arlo & Janis

I'm an adult and I love comics and cartoons, but "comics and cartoons for adults" can be obnoxiously pandering. You watch a cartoon on Adult Swim and the punchline is violence or cruelty, you read a graphic novel that uses rape as a plot device to let you know the bad guy's REALLY bad, sometimes it just comes across like whoever's making it is super self-conscious about making sure their audience feels comfortable in the knowledge that they're not watching stupid baby cartoons.

Even if I didn't enjoy the hell out of reading it, which I do, A&J stands out for being a stellar example of an adult piece of work in the medium. It's not "adult" because it's crass or mean-spirited or violent, it's "adult" because the relationships between the characters, the situations portrayed and the feelings it evokes don't land without that frame of reference - the difference between "being adult" and "having adult aesthetics". No one in this thread glossed over it in the newspaper growing up because their parents saw it and forbade it, we just thought it was boring because we didn't Get It yet. In most other mediums this isn't that big a deal, but I honestly would be hard pressed to think of another mainstream comic or cartoon that achieves this so well.

2. Thimble Theater

The only newspaper comics I read growing up that had these months-long spanning stories were intolerably boring soap opera strips, The Phantom, or Newspaper Spiderman (which was at least enjoyable in its corniness but nowhere near good). Thimble Theater though is just plain fun. The stories are fun, the characters are fun, it's fun to look at, it's fun to read Popeye and Poopdeck Pappy's dialogue, and I can just feel Segar having fun drawing and writing it. Reading through Thimble Theater feels like going on a zany adventure and I'm incredibly on board with it.

1. Cul de Sac

I'm just gonna come out and say that Richard Thompson has dethroned Bill Watterson as the Unequivocally Best Newspaper Cartoonist. Calvin was a great cathartic break from most other newspaper kids where even Dennis the god drat MENACE it's right in his NAME would have strips like "I love going to Grandma's house because I get lots of hugs and kisses!" and that's it that's the comic, but in hindsight he was such a little poo poo that it does feel a little reactionary. Cul de Sac though has the greatest portrayal of little kids in comics I've ever seen. They're not saccharine like [name any one of 10000 comics here], they're not obnoxious little turds like OBH, they're not 8 year old adults like Peanuts - they're all just weird as hell in their own unique ways because they haven't learned how to be normal yet and are just unapologetically themselves without giving it a second thought. I have no idea how Thompson was able to put himself in that mindset and write characters like that so convincingly. This would be an amazing strip on the merits of the writing alone but then he goes ahead and makes art that out-whimsies even my memories of what Quentin Blake's art looked like to 8-year-old me and I just don't know what to say about it anymore what a good loving strip god drat.

Something Positive
Jan 10, 2010

MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHERMOTHERMOTHER MOOOOTTTHHHEEERRRR
1. Modesty Blaise: Modesty and Willie's relationship gives me the warm fuzzies and this thread's discussion of it put "turbomurdered" into my lexicon.

2. BCN: I love the watercolors and I love cats.

3. Wallace the Brave: it's just so darn sweet and pretty to look at.

Honorable Mentions: Out Our Way, Nekonaughey, The Far Side.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I can't possibly rank my favorite comics in this thread. I just wade in and let all the comics just wash over me.

Tiff as Nails, if you don't remember, was Tiff's attempt to make some cash by doing nails for people in her dorm. It was a popular venture and people loved it and Bernice shut it down because she's a horrible little goblin who can't tolerate happiness. (Okay, yes, manicurists need to be licensed for good reason, but Bernice was more worried about ~*Against The Rules*~ than any safety concerns and also Bernice can eat poo poo.)

I was about to rip into TJ for making fun of Tiff's first business, but on closer inspection I see the word balloon is pointing to Ox and he wouldn't tease Tiff with sarcastic questions. So you get a pass, TJ. THIS TIME.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Julet Esqu posted:

I can't possibly rank my favorite comics in this thread. I just wade in and let all the comics just wash over me.

agreed. i’m just glad everyone’s posting comics, even the bad ones. thank you all so much.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
It's hard to pick a top three - there are so many good comics in this thread. My opinion of Arlo and Janis has turned around completely, from something I would skip or skim in the paper to something I really look forward to each day.
It's the only comic where I am looking forward to a few of my favorites to be posted (again). The strips where Alice performs rituals to make it snow are the best.

And He Did! (April 19, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (May 30, 1918)

Banana Oil! (January 21, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (May 11, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 11, 1935)

Dark Laughter (May 29 , 1943)

Mopsy Sunday (May 23, 1948)

That's cold, Mopsy.

Those Were the Days (June 19, 1952)

I do enjoy the facial expressions in this strip.

Wee Pals (July 2, 1965)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (May 30, 1918)

Could I get a Red and Rover on this one? My mum hyphenated her name when she got married so it's never struck me as odd, but I don't think this is a situation like that?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphenated_American

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You have to remember we're in Wartime True.
"Hyphenated American" was an early 20th century euphemism used to slur people who dared to describe themselves like 'Irish-American' as owing their allegiance to a foreign powers and not to be trusted.

As President Wilson said, "I want to say -- I cannot say too often -- Any man who carries a hyphen about with him carries a dagger that he is ready to plunge into the vitals of this Republic whenever he gets ready."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

You have to remember we're in Wartime True.
"Hyphenated American" was an early 20th century euphemism used to slur people who dared to describe themselves like 'Irish-American' as owing their allegiance to a foreign powers and not to be trusted.

As President Wilson said, "I want to say -- I cannot say too often -- Any man who carries a hyphen about with him carries a dagger that he is ready to plunge into the vitals of this Republic whenever he gets ready."

Ah, ok, a race thing taken out on some rando for completely spurious reasons.

Also, lol, eat poo poo Wilson, I'm not surprised Ho Chi Minh was unimpressed with you. Everything I hear about him is him being a hypocritical dick. poo poo, I'd give the fucker a conniption, I don't even call myself American when talking ethnicity.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I just want to say thanks to everyone who's given their top three(-ish). Even if most of you completely missed the whole "currently-running" part of the prompt. So much for doing a "top three vintage strips" followup. :) (And if you haven't given your top three yet, please feel free, that door doesn't close here.)

We gripe and poke fun at plenty of strips in this thread, but there's a lot in this medium that we love, and I sometimes feel like we don't express that enough. I grew up on Peanuts, Family Circus, FoxTrot and Calvin & Hobbes, and at around age 10, despite a total lack of artistic talent, I wanted to be a cartoonist myself when I grew up. That plan didn't come to pass, but I still get a lot of joy out of these little doodles for the daily newsprint.

Okay, enough warmth. Back to the snark!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I can't possibly pick a top three because I cannot rank them like that, but I will give my top 3 hate-reads:

3. Daddy Daze: I hate that stupid baby. I hate the stupid father. I hate how the stupid father interprets every "bah bah" the baby does for the reader before responding to the baby as if the baby understands, and he does, but he isn't supposed to, nor is he supposed to be able to communicate in complex ways, because he's a purely a baby, and not some magical intelligent baby like Marvin or like when we see Garfield think stuff. I hate this strip, yet I read every one. It's not even entertainingly hateable--I just hate it.

2. Intelligent Life: This strip annoys me with the "nerd humor" and the Family Guy art, but the fact that it's so lazily done is just awful. Now that it's not a full time gig for the artist, I can understand cutting corners to an extent, but it was always this way so gently caress him. The strip has two things going for it, and that's 1) it's only three a week, and 2) we only see it on Fridays, so I get to remember "Oh, it's Friday!" when it shows up.

1. Luann: I hate this strip, but unlike the previous strips, I enjoy hating this strip. From how disconnected from reality the creators are to how utterly awful the characters you're supposed to love always act, it is a masterpiece of a hate-read.

To let this post go out on a positive, Bootsie is my latest hero because he is living his best life. The man is a legend.

Edit: Please don't stop posting any of these. This was not an attack on posters for posting these, and I appreciate everyone who contributes and every contribution. I really do. I read almost everything in here.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 31, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I thought you meant "currently running" in the thread.

Prince Valiant's still runnng somewhere.
Wallace The Brave is just fabulous, for all the reasons stated up-thread.
I'm also good with Holbrook's work. I roll with the wit & humour and don't peer too deeply.

I got my second Moderna today, so who knows if I'll be up & around the next couple of days... so an extra dump tonight:

Nightcrawlers - 1957

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

amigolupus posted:

Another evidence of interspecies couples having already existed before and the birdlluminati insisting that K&K are special is a huge loving lie.

Well it wasn't interspecies, it was specifically predator/prey...but Koala Steve Irwin has a predator/prey marriage so yeah why the gently caress are K&K so special? And that's not even getting into Ralph who's absolutely more of a role model than Kell is.

Have you been able to post any pages of this story arc unspoilered? It definitely seems like this is the most naked she's been so far.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Johnny Walker posted:

I can't possibly pick a top three because I cannot rank them like that, but I will give my top 3 hate-reads:

3. Daddy Daze: I hate that stupid baby. I hate the stupid father. I hate how the stupid father interprets every "bah bah" the baby does for the reader before responding to the baby as if the baby understands, and he does, but he isn't supposed to, nor is he supposed to be able to communicate in complex ways, because he's a purely a baby, and not some magical intelligent baby like Marvin or like when we see Garfield think stuff. I hate this strip, yet I read every one. It's not even entertainingly hateable--I just hate it.

2. Intelligent Life: This strip annoys me with the "nerd humor" and the Family Guy art, but the fact that it's so lazily done is just awful. Now that it's not a full time gig for the artist, I can understand cutting corners to an extent, but it was always this way so gently caress him. The strip has two things going for it, and that's 1) it's only three a week, and 2) we only see it on Fridays, so I get to remember "Oh, it's Friday!" when it shows up.

1. Luann: I hate this strip, but unlike the previous strips, I enjoy hating this strip. From how disconnected from reality the creators are to how utterly awful the characters you're supposed to love always act, it is a masterpiece of a hate-read.

To let this post go out on a positive, Bootsie is my latest hero because he is living his best life. The man is a legend.

Edit: Please don't stop posting any of these. This was not an attack on posters for posting these, and I appreciate everyone who contributes and every contribution. I really do. I read almost everything in here.

ah i forgot how much i hate Intelligent Life and Working Daze also

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Have you been able to post any pages of this story arc unspoilered? It definitely seems like this is the most naked she's been so far.

Hahaha nope. She puts a top on just in time for me to not have to spoiler the last page.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PainterofCrap posted:

I got my second Moderna today

I am totally stoked for you becoming immune to the plague, and I hope to join you soon. :woop:

PainterofCrap posted:

Nightcrawlers - 1957

I once got a puny amount of stock options from the company I was working for. My exact quote upon trying to cash them in: "drat IT stop trying to make me into a Republican!"

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Wallace is my favorite of the currently written. I still like current Val, although vintage Val is better. And BCN is cute enough and I like the art a lot.

I have a lot of affection for Foxtrot when it was a daily and Amend actually did some characterization and plot.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
If the code was implemented after the work was done(wording is ambiguous but that was my first interpretation), why is this Mark/Cherry's problem? They shouldn't be considering refunds at all. For that matter, it sounds more like an HOA than an actual municipal code body. If the clients are requesting work that doesn't comply with HOA regs, that's on them.

Obviously if their landscaping business is centered around being ecofriendly and not planting Boring Suburban poo poo, HOAs blocking that is a broader scale business problem, but this is an odd way to introduce it.

Why yes I do spend too much time lurking in homeowner/construction threads despite being a permarenter, how could you tell?

Powered Descent posted:

Okay everyone, of the currently running strips that are posted in the thread (so no classics from years past), what are your top three favorites? Here are mine. Counting down:
In no particular order:
1) Wallace the Brave
2) Arlo and Janis
3) Crabgrass

Honorable mention to Nekonaughey, BCN, Boss Dharma, & Phoebe and her Unicorn.

The Toonerville Folks, Doc's Duck, Charles' Addam's comics, and pre-format change Mopsy would be my top picks from proper historic comics. Everything else that's modern but not currently running has too many candidates for me to bother listing.

2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

How long has it been since we've seen Rex himself in this arc?

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
My favorite current comics would have to be Wallace the Brave and Arlo and Janis. I see there is much consensus there. I don't have a clear third place. Zits, Phoebe and Her Unicorn, Rae the Doe, F Minus, and Rhymes With Orange could all make it up there on a good day.

My favorites among the vintage are Mutt and Jeff as well as Bushmiller's Nancy, both of which I remember fondly (if vaguely) from my childhood. And also Jucika. My overall favorite comic is Cul de Sac, but I wouldn't put it in the same company as it ended less than 10 years ago.

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Ok, I had my fun earlier but now I'll post my top 3 insightful posts from regulars:

1) How Wonderful!'s well researched views into queer society of the 90s have been a true delight whenever I read them, and I'm a better person for having the context alongside Bechdel's DtWOF, I can't thank her enough for the time she puts in to her posts.

2) Everyone who sources and posts old print comics for the thread to read, they've made this thread an insane artistic resource. Special mention to EasyEW's posts which often include real-time context for the strip's contents.

3) Mikl's well researched views into online furry society of the 90s have been a true source of distress whenever I read them, and I'm a worse person for having the context to understand Holbrook's Kevin and Kell, I can't thank her enough for the time she puts into her posts.

Time for Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

riderchop fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 31, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

Okay everyone, of the currently running strips that are posted in the thread (so no classics from years past), what are your top three favorites? Here are mine. Counting down:

3. Andertoons. I'm a little surprised I rate this one so highly, but it's funny a surprising amount of the time, and it's almost always at least clever. (And I'm amazed that he's still finding new punchlines for "people looking at a graph".)

2. Arlo and Janis. It's honest, endearing, and usually about fuckin'. I never really got this strip as a kid, but now that I'm a bit older, it's awesome. (And it's also kind of a relationship goal for when we reach that age.)

....drumroll....

1. Wallace the Brave. If any strip is the spiritual successor to Cul de Sac and Calvin and Hobbes, it's this one. Childhood whimsy and imagination, but without ever feeling cloying.

If you have a favorite you'd like to name but it isn't being posted in the thread, well then, this is your call to start posting it! :)

1) Wallace The Brace for being the just the best :allears:

2) Crabgrass for having the best BFFs in comics

3) Arlo and Janis for being the most wholesome strip in the thread while still managing to be really funny

Honorable mentions:
-Cul De Sac for being charming as hell. I'd never have known it existed if not for this thread (so thanks thread!)
-Retail for keeping my hatred pure
-Robbie and Bobby for being incredibly weird in just the right way.
-Encyclopedia Brown for having the most :psyduck: start to a comic strip ever.
-Nightcrawlers/Adams Family for still being hilarious despite being like 70 years old

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Children love the trans tank.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Arlo and Janis is definitely my favorite.

Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
If we're talking about currently-running comics, I love reading Arlo & Janis, Cul De Sac, and Wallace the Brave. They're just lovely.

Classic Kevin & Kell (June 19-23, 2000)

First appearance: colour! :pcgaming:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Mandrake really is the dumbest strip being posted here.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Alhazred posted:

Mandrake really is the dumbest strip being posted here.

It's up there, but Brenda Starr deserves that crown.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm reserving judgement until Brenda Starr ends publication right after introducing shapeshifting frog aliens.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 23, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 23, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 23, 1989)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/29/01

Accidentally skipped a day, so here's what should have come yesterday.

Brenda Starr 3/7-9/46

Spoilered for minstrel show dialect.

Also, I already made the Bill Cosby joke.

Smokey Stover 4/7/40

Richard's Poor Almanac