Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

You know you can buy great people or pass on them right?

I do. What does that have to do with what the AI says in those circumstances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I never pass on a Great Person because you're always rolling the dice on what you might get next and they're all good for something. (also making every single Great Person do something slightly different is nuts, I love it though)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Speedball posted:

I never pass on a Great Person because you're always rolling the dice on what you might get next and they're all good for something. (also making every single Great Person do something slightly different is nuts, I love it though)

I never pass either because of that, and because sometimes the AI just isn't working very hard on that queue, and it's a long walk to the next person.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Grobbit posted:

I'm looking forward to trying out the 2 expansions but feel like I might get overwhelmed with all the changes from the base game. Is it possible (or even recommended) to only enable Rise and Fall before getting used to it before enabling Gathering Storm? or should I just play with everything on just to avoid learning systems that will be superseded/replaced?
It is possible - you can choose between GS, R&F, and Original Recipe rulesets when you set up any game. I honestly don't think that either adds all that much that you'd be overwhelmed adding both expansions; I find on the occasions when I've gone back and played something under an older ruleset it feels boring by comparison.

If you really want to break yourself in in stages, the Egypt achievement is broken in gathering storm but still functional in Rise and Fall, if that matters at all to you.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Zombie mode is interesting on the clover/snowflake maps because the ai is too dumb trying to put out fires (metaphorically) dealing with them to make camp in the center of map. Past, i want to say, Renaissance era, they die to most non-ranged units in one hit.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

buffalo all day posted:

Portugal is really good, I got my second Emperor win with them just cranking out coastal cities and navigation schools, the combination of gold+science got me a science win while everyone else was still struggling about with cavalry

I've started as them too, only I picked the secret society that replaced university with their special building instead, so no nab schools, oops. Oh and then researching ironclad too early so I only ended up building two of their boats, so only a few Feitorias for me... still rich enough to own the world though.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
*standing over the charred ruins of Qaraqorum as Joao*

you should have FINISHED THE JOB, GENGHIS :black101:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

How did Sean Bean find a bunch of Ls in Joao?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Are they promising more content DLCs by any chance?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Vahakyla posted:

Are they promising more content DLCs by any chance?

There was 4 years between civ 3 and civ 4
There was 5 years between 4 and 5
6 years between 5 and 6, which was released in 2016

Humankind is coming out this year.

I think the next Civ product will be Civ 7.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Conversely, until they release the "Complete, we promise!" edition, the default assumption is more DLC is coming.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 28, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I hope they make more. Even if it’s not new Civs, I’d still pay for more content for what we have, more modes and stuff. Not $40 of course.

That or just call it done soon and release the full modding package.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
So I had a barb camp evolve into Mohenjo Daro, then for some reason Hojo decided to just raze it. Except it's still on the city state list and I can send envoys to it. I am now the suzerain of a ghost town. I even get the bonuses and everything.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Zombie mode seems great for Gorgo or Monty. Actually can the eagle warrior capture zombies as slave labor?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I never had a game with yields this busted before.

I decided to not build a spaceport and go for a diplo victory instead because I want to see how disgusting this will get with the lategame policies.

Shoutout to my man Peter who started a pointless war with the Ottomans at like turn 20 or so instead of just steamrolling me and has been camping outside Cardiff for millennia, hoping I finally move my units.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Zombie mode is much, much more interesting than it has any right to be.

Zombie strength increases with every zombie beaten globally. This means they are, throughout the game, always kinda tough - especially as they appear in hoards. Walls are a must in every single city now. Wars and domination are now more difficult to navigate and strategise around. I find myself rushing to defend city states a lot.

They aren’t loving around, and you can easily become overwhelmed. I can definitely see how someone could become frustrated, though, as they severely slow down everyone’s progress towards every victory

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Calico Heart posted:

Zombie mode is much, much more interesting than it has any right to be.

Zombie strength increases with every zombie beaten globally. This means they are, throughout the game, always kinda tough - especially as they appear in hoards. Walls are a must in every single city now. Wars and domination are now more difficult to navigate and strategise around. I find myself rushing to defend city states a lot.

They aren’t loving around, and you can easily become overwhelmed. I can definitely see how someone could become frustrated, though, as they severely slow down everyone’s progress towards every victory

I'm still on the fence about this dlc so I haven't bought it, but this does make it sound interesting. I wasn't aware that their strenght increased in that way.

But still, are zombies not just another type of barbarian?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Weirdly I have had the opposite experience. Zombies are a total non entity easily killed by whatever ranged you have. They don't pillage and spawn one at a time. The only time I've had them be a factor is when I'm trying to conquer someone and they rez the ais units. So they're a great anti domination tool, but I was expecting way more than what I got. I wanted to feel like I was under siege and struggling to survive.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
The AI seem to love setting the traps as well, to the detriment of improving resources. When I went to conquer Kubla Khan China I kept losing 10hp per step I took, and I guessed it was due to that.

I had 1-2 spawn every 5 turns or so. The AI did seem to engage in attacking them.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I don't know what difficulty you're playing on but zombies appearing "one at a time" is the complete polar opposite to my experience. In my game I would say there have been several very clear and distinct "waves" where five or six zombies would appear from the fog, with them spawning slowly for a while after that, and in between those waves seeing the odd zombie or two every now and then. They really change how I've approached warfare and spycraft this game, too. Not a mode I'll play every time but definitely changes things up.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I play on immortal, so hopefully high enough for the ai to at least try to be a threat. Maybe the fog never lasted long enough or the map type didn't allow them enough space to spawn? The only spawning behaviour I witnessed is they would appear 1 at a time in my territory near places where I killed barbs or ai units every 5-10 turns.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
I've just finished a game that I had started before the most recent update.

When I had started a monopoly and created a product, the build times for a lot of the districts went to +999 turns, and when I looked at ones that were being built, they were actually losing production each turn. Hopefully it was just a glitch over the update.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

ellspurs posted:

I've just finished a game that I had started before the most recent update.

When I had started a monopoly and created a product, the build times for a lot of the districts went to +999 turns, and when I looked at ones that were being built, they were actually losing production each turn. Hopefully it was just a glitch over the update.

I believe this has been mentioned as bring tied to dramatic ages?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It seems like the newest patch havent touched the bugs that the previous patch introduced

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Just wrapped up my first game in a while with a Deity victory as Portugal. Had a pretty rock solid start on my own small continent with 2 of the science city states as my neighbors and the Tsingy natural wonder close enough to make a little trek over to get as my capital. Had terrible placement for Industrial Zones but by the end of the game the crazy production from my harbors/traders kept my space projects wrapping up in 2 turns. Felt like I was playing way behind for a long time but I knew once I started overtaking some of the civs with my science that the game was on. Played the other civs well by respecting their boundaries, keeping my army small, and giving them gifts early on to get alliances going. Those trade routes are drat good and you can make a lot of science off the Naval Academies.

I could have lost to Religion from Ethiopia but he ran into Rome who was going religion just enough to slow him down. I watched their battle for my lands go to Ethiopia and I thought it was all over but Ethiopia ran out of steam somehow and never managed to seal the deal. Gilgamesh ineffectively assaulted me with cultists, sorry for him that strategy doesn't work any more. The Kongo seemed to be building a decent tourism game but a war with Rome seemed to slow them down too.

Happy to have a solid win in the books. I was using the Corporations mode but I didn't really notice it beyond a couple tile improvements. Owls as my secret society was great though. I had so much gold by the end it was great. Good times.

Probably going to pick up Vietnam next and start a war with some Zombies.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
My friend group (we play multiplayer, fairly casual) is pretty disappointed with zombies mode. It's way too swingy. Zombies are supposed to spawn from dead units but it seems inconsistent, and also seems like they spawn completely at random where there hasn't been combat. It can randomly gently caress you pretty hard in the early game.

Calico Heart posted:

Zombie strength increases with every zombie beaten globally. This means they are, throughout the game, always kinda tough - especially as they appear in hoards.

This hasn't been my group's experience at all. Their impact seems to drop off completely somewhere around medieval or renaissance, and they're never a threat again - they'll literally spawn, suicide themselves against our cities, and disappear, without us even seeing them (although occasionally they'll plunder a trade route along the way). In one game, we even had a Gorgo player intentionally farming them, but the extra mutation bonus never got big enough for them to do anything, even during big wars.

Calico Heart posted:

they severely slow down everyone’s progress towards every victory

This also is completely contrary to my group's experience. They'll turbo-gently caress one or two players in the ancient/classical age, preventing them from getting off the ground in the most crucial part of the game, while another one or two players get off scot free. Last game we played, one player had a huge horde suddenly spawn behind their defenses and raze a city, the other two players fought one zombie total.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
PotatoMcWhisky, The Spiffing Brit and some others did a stream which showed the effects of farming zombies. Potato has it up on his channel - towards the end they were saying that the zombies had an attack power equivalent to the Giant Death Robots.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So, I haven't played in literally two years - how's the AI these days?

(most importantly the military AI - it used to do dumb poo poo like "not assault a 1 HP town" or "not shoot ranged weapons" all the time)

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Gort posted:

(most importantly the military AI - it used to do dumb poo poo like "not assault a 1 HP town" or "not shoot ranged weapons" all the time)

not any smarter than before, although it does tend to be more brutal. I've seen several times it can raze cities now.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
be careful with the dramatic ages mode and don't have more than 20 civs playing in it, because free cities now cause loyalty pressure, which causes a domino effect of the AI constantly losing cities and not being competitive

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In my Aztec zombie game I played continents and took over my home one, wiping out the Zulu and Egypt. There was a city state in the mountains near an egyptian city in a river valley. Egypt spent my entire war with the Zulu unsuccessfully trying to capture the city state but getting their army bogged down and wiped out by city state archers in the hills. After my way with Zulu I took advantage of the situation to grab Egypt's capital and core cities while their entire army was dying in the hills of buenos aires. The problem is that area of the map now spawns so many zombies I have to keep half my army there because 3-4 can spawn on a turn.

Anyways in the oceans between continents I found a single island that my scout has been watching for 30 turns now and it doesn't seem to get any zombie spawns. It's lovely territory but it has room for a campus and spaceport. It would be a cool emergent story for civilization to be completely overrun on the mainlands and this tiny city grinds out a spaceship to a hopefully zombie free planet.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Pajser posted:

be careful with the dramatic ages mode and don't have more than 20 civs playing in it, because free cities now cause loyalty pressure, which causes a domino effect of the AI constantly losing cities and not being competitive

I had this happen in my current game, though with only 8 civs. It's been nice as it preconquerred 3 entire civs for me

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the ai loves razing cities now. i think fresh water and loyalty are the two factors for them.

ellspurs posted:

PotatoMcWhisky, The Spiffing Brit and some others did a stream which showed the effects of farming zombies. Potato has it up on his channel - towards the end they were saying that the zombies had an attack power equivalent to the Giant Death Robots.

it was pretty funny seeing the zombies slowly take everyone over but it seems like it could use a bit o balance

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Seems like a mode in Civ that's about zombies wouldn't need balance at all imo

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Gort posted:

Comparing the AI today to the AI when I last played (a year or more ago), it is certainly better in some regards. I've seen some very good district placement, and I've even seen terrain-boosted wonders placed well (like Huey placed in a Lake adjacent to 4 other lake tiles for a massive bonus whereas every other one I'd ever seen from the AI had been in a one-tile lake). The combat is also better and the AI is able to set up some good sneak attacks plus attacks quite ruthlessly, going out of its way to kill your damaged units (but quite predictably in how it hits the weakest target).

Having said that it still does bizarre stuff, is very bad at improving tiles (particularly luxuries), doesn't seem to understand navies most of the time, and still does do some bad placement. I saw a post on reddit of AI city which placed Panama Canal simply to link up to a one-tile Huey lake though, but maybe the AI is programmed to do some of this stuff for the lulz...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
That sort of sounds like the AI just builds whatever it can wherever it can and gets lucky with placement once in a while

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

That sort of sounds like the AI just builds whatever it can wherever it can and gets lucky with placement once in a while

It definitely understands how to maximize yields and will seek to build the best thing it can in the best spot at the time but AFAIK it has no planning ahead capabilities and will e.g. happily plop down a holy site on an ok spot that would have been an amazing campus site, or build a wonder in a city that has a lovely spot for it because it happened to finish its production queue better than a city with a good spot for it, etc.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

My favorite thing that consistently happens is every civ congratulating you on your tremendously powerful navy after you build one galley because that’s all they’ve built too.

Harald Hardrada seeing a single boat and getting moved to tears at the sight of your powerful navy never gets old.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont know if they fixed it on the last patch, but after the conglomerates game mode the AI got specially dumb at improving tiles. As I mentioned here, in both games I played with the mode on, the AI would have unimproved luxury resources late game while having workers doing nothing all over the place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
With the zombies, the AI have became extremely good at filling their land with traps. I saw one American city that had filled all the tiles it could with traps, without any other improvements.