Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

carry on then posted:

i mean, even when i was in college and used latex for math homework the sum of my skill was how to google "<what i want to do> latex"

I've been using latex for about 15 years now, so most of the time I can copy something I did before. But if not, I'm looking for someone else's example. No loving way am I figuring out that poo poo on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
there was a time in engineering school where i had enough of the latex math stuff memorized that it was drastically faster to type my homework than work it out by hand but I don't even remember how I set my latex resume up and 100% couldn't do it again from scratch if i lost my current copy lmao

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

there was a time in engineering school where i had enough of the latex math stuff memorized that it was drastically faster to type my homework than work it out by hand but I don't even remember how I set my latex resume up and 100% couldn't do it again from scratch if i lost my current copy lmao

thats why i treat my latex resume as code and have it backed up on multiple cloud git hosts

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Everybody writes one Makefile and then continues to fork it for subsequent projects

That is until they wise up and switch to Meson anyway.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

bob dobbs is dead posted:

much much much more importantly, recruiters dont know how to gently caress w a pdf to misrepresent you to peeps. recruiters have higher turnover than fast food and the ethical rigor of your average used car dealer so you gotta take measures

i used to believe this, then I got a resume from a candidate that looked horrible. I was going to ignore them just based on how horribly malformed it was until i realized a recruiter had just copy and pasted the contents of a pdf resume into a word doc, slapped on her firm's logo, and called it a day

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i make my resume in word and export it as a pdf. works for me

i also wrote a dissertation that included a good chunk of logic and a new semantics for a particular connective in Word and it was fine so 🤷‍♀️, maybe i'm broken

every time i think "ok time to use latex" it's enough of a pain in the rear end with next to no benefit at the moment, so i stop after twenty minutes or so. kinda like vim, except i already know vim so i just keep using it

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Achmed Jones posted:

i also wrote a dissertation that included a good chunk of logic and a new semantics for a particular connective in Word and it was fine so 🤷‍♀️, maybe i'm broken

every time i think "ok time to use latex" it's enough of a pain in the rear end with next to no benefit at the moment, so i stop after twenty minutes or so. kinda like vim, except i already know vim so i just keep using it
considering my level of stockholm syndrome for both latex and vim this feels like an apt analogy

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

cheque_some posted:

i used to believe this, then I got a resume from a candidate that looked horrible. I was going to ignore them just based on how horribly malformed it was until i realized a recruiter had just copy and pasted the contents of a pdf resume into a word doc, slapped on her firm's logo, and called it a day

A recruiter did this to my CV once and my interviewer pulled it out in the interview and called out a bunch of grammar/spelling errors. I was super lucky as I'd brought an actual copy of my CV along so I just showed them that instead

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

:same:

but lol if you have ever sent a resume out and don’t get all your jobs purely via nepotism

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

The Fool posted:

ive never head of that site before, but I’ve definitely seen resumes generated by it

tangentially, I want to strangle anyone that uses progress bars in their skill sections

But how is your skill in strangling people progressing?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

cheque_some posted:

an agency that used to send CVs to my old job did that, they just scraped the content and stuck it in a standard format that was really messy and hard to read.

My CV goes out as a PDF because I'm on a mac and don't trust Pages to export a remotely sensible Word document

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Xarn posted:

But how is your skill in strangling people progressing?

two more and I’ll level up and get to pick a perk

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

:same:

but lol if you have ever sent a resume out and don’t get all your jobs purely via nepotism

anonymous resume blasting is a great way to get offers to tru to squeeze more out of jobs that are more interesting. same w offers from places you dont wanna work at

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i do my job hunting exclusively via recieved linked in messages these days, i tell them to get back to me if the role is:

fully remote, offering base salaries in excess of 100k, and is primarily python focused

this politely tells most of them to gently caress off, and the ones that are not phased by this are usually interesting enough to pursue

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom
i decided on a whim to respond to some of the linkedin messages i've been getting. first offer was a fully remote deal with base salary 34% higher than my current base+bonus, with potential for adding another 20% pending some organizational changes. another position (no offer yet, but prospects seem good) is for a fairly mature startup where there'd be a 15% increase + some amount of equity (still trying to clarify how much) in a company looking to IPO within the next few years + some cool tech with interesting applications and clients. all of the positions i've responded to would result in a significant workload reduction.

despite being offered several objectively better positions the first week of looking, i feel hesitant about leaving my current job. i feel like i'd be letting people down etc. seems kind of stupid to stay where i am though.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Storkrasch posted:

despite being offered several objectively better positions the first week of looking, i feel hesitant about leaving my current job. i feel like i'd be letting people down etc. seems kind of stupid to stay where i am though.

the only person you'd be letting down by staying is the future you

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

the only person you'd be letting down by staying is the future you

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Storkrasch posted:

I was in the same place and took the new job anyway and they stumbled without me for a few months until they could hire one of my previous interns and everyone lived happily ever after.

zero regrets, you should go for it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Storkrasch posted:

i feel like i'd be letting people down etc

this is a normal feeling and it passes entirely on the first day of your new job

then when you get your first check you'll feel outright silly

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Storkrasch posted:

if they valued you as much as you are worried about letting them down they’d be paying you as much as (and offering the same perks as) those better positions

seriously, they’ll be fine without you.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

if they valued you as much as you are worried about letting them down they’d be paying you as much as (and offering the same perks as) those better positions

seriously, they’ll be fine without you.

this

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
if the loss of one person meaningfully impacts the business of the company, that person's boss hosed up really badly and it doesn't reflect on the person leaving at all

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Corla Plankun posted:

if the loss of one person meaningfully impacts the business of the company, that person's boss hosed up really badly and it doesn't reflect on the person leaving at all

my team has dwindled from 6 down to 2 since I’ve been at my current place, and they would be pretty hosed if I left

they haven’t hired anyone since hiring me 4 years ago, though they do have an open req finally, after the last departure

good thing I just got a raise that bumped me into six figs or they might have had a problem lol :unsmith:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bumped into six figs? at least 4 years of experience?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

bumped into six figs? at least 4 years of experience?

im an engineer but not in software

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Raluek posted:

im an engineer but not in software

ah ok

may the figs be with you friend then

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Raluek posted:

my team has dwindled from 6 down to 2 since I’ve been at my current place, and they would be pretty hosed if I left

That isn't on you, its on the manager that let the team go from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3 to 2.

The "That's Capitalism" emoji isn't just for your boss, they make us live in it so sometimes they get to deal with it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Storkrasch posted:

i feel like i'd be letting people down etc. seems kind of stupid to stay where i am though.

anyone worth maintaining a relationship with will be happy for you. this is how you build out your professional network. “sucks for us, great for you, you’ll be my first call when I’m hiring at some other place in four years.”

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

raminasi posted:

anyone worth maintaining a relationship with will be happy for you. this is how you build out your professional network. “sucks for us, great for you, you’ll be my first call when I’m hiring at some other place in four years.”

Changed my response to reflect this; I've never been mad at an actual friend for leaving a bad situation, even if it makes my life worse. All the more reason for me to leave, or to make my case to get paid more.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your most productive sitch for creatin new startups in startupland is in cases where a complete dipshit fell rear end backwards into a great team. usually theres some dipshit fuckers but you just forget to invite them to the company you make w the buddy you made by complaining about the ceo bein a dipshit

it worked for the traitorous eight, it still works now. treason is how startupland rolls

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
third round interview friday. should be at least 20% more money if it comes through.

my team is so hosed when i leave.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ive got an interview later with a fairly new startup (founded in 2019 i think, although hard to tell)

what kind of things do i ask them? ive only ever worked at big corporations, im worried about job security but allured in by big money offers

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also, i wish i had the balls to do independent contracting

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
there's an addendum in the OP for startups

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

there's an addendum in the OP for startups

thankl you, very helpful!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

valeyard can you actually make six figgies touching python in the uk? p cool if so

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jesus WEP posted:

valeyard can you actually make six figgies touching python in the uk? p cool if so

with independent contracting easily yeah, python contracts of 500-600 a day are not so uncommon, but obviously comes with all the tax hassle (and tax changes related to IR35), there are some nutty ones even higher than this for banking strats/quants but that will be mega aids working conditions from what ive heard

full time is also possible. prior to covid it would be very difficult outside of london though, you would need to either be an ED level at investment bank, or maybe a high paid contractor that has been converted to full time (also at a bank)

now its much easier, lots of london fintech companies have no problem hiring remote. if you want to double dip, and really love risk, crypto fintech companies are paying megabucks

if you dont liek finance though you are poo poo out of luck

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

just got the offer from the employee computer spy software people, not sure whether to accept TBH

I don't have any other just yet but am not sure it's the best choice, nevermind any ethical concerns

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

just got the offer from the employee computer spy software people, not sure whether to accept TBH

I don't have any other just yet but am not sure it's the best choice, nevermind any ethical concerns

what about the figgy concerns though, is that looking good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Valeyard posted:

also, i wish i had the balls to do independent contracting

just do it, its great