Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Xachariah posted:

The only way I can personally reconcile what these people are able to do in the MCU is to believe that the super soldier serum/plant literally somehow gave them superhuman gamma abilities rather than just peak human. They all seem twice as strong as the most juiced up strongman and able to run twice as fast as the fastest human ever.

MCU Cap is definitely much stronger than traditional comics Cap. Like I said, The Ultimates made their Cap actually be superhuman and the first phase of the MCU was partially inspired by the Ultimates. The USAgent in the comics actually operates on a level similar to the MCU Cap (post Power Broker juicing), if that gives you idea about the power disparity between the two mediums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ultimates Cap and MCU Cap are definitely orders of magnitude stronger than 616 comics Cap, but I think even ol' 616 has plenty of wild strength/speed feats out there, since as with all characters what they can do will vary somewhat based on the writer. Ultimates and MCU have a higher baseline to work from though.

The Ultimates, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Ultimate X-men had their ups and down, but I really liked a lot of the swings those stories took. Volume 1 of the Ultimates in particular does a hell of a job of presenting an edgy "not your papa's Avengers" team while not going too far in that direction, and I thought both the writing and the art on it was really good. Overall that Ultimate universe was a good idea, and I'm sure we'll get something like it in Marvel comics eventually to keep things fresh/mix things up and present the characters once again in a way that lets them set aside the heaps of continuity/history they have while also not presenting it as just short miniseries or one-shots in universes that don't really get to grow/tie together.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The thing I remember most about Ultimates volume 1 was that the final issue had something like an 8 page fold out center that was just one huge action scene. I don't even remember what the action scene was now; I just remember myself and my housemate both folding it out in awe that the artist had managed to make one huge panel that was that many pages wide filled with action to depict the climax of the fight.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Doom2020! posted:

Yeah they really never stated it clearly but, since I'm a recovering comic book nerd and have discussed the movies with mates while high, I will help out. The heart shaped herb gives him peak human capabilities akin to Captain America. That means strength, speed, stamina are all at that vague level of "right below true superhuman" but above every known weightlifter, marathon and track runner. One of the bigger aspects of T'Challa is his mind. Think Batman. Guy can hold his own in conversations with Reed Richards and Tony Stark but can strategize like Captain America. One of the big arcs back in the day was BP having contingency plans to take out every Avenger. He also has access to Vibranium and the Scientific wonder that is Wakanda. Crazy sci fi tech and, in the movies, has a suit that enhances his prowess by not only being vibranium armour (so almost impenetrable) but will absorb kinetic energy over time and release it in a blast.

Comics also had him sometimes access the knowledge of his ancestors which I think explains the conversation T'Challa had with his father where his various ancestors talked with him on the astral plane. So yeah... African King Batman minus the less psychosis but with Super Soldier Serum and genetic knowledge who likes using his tech from his super secret Cyberpunk Utopian civilization. I hope this doesn't make him sound a bit shite as he isn't. One of the cooler aspects of Black Panther is this character was made in 1966 and, like a Howling Commando called Gabe Jones, one of the very first non racist cartoon African Americans portrayed in comics. He was also the first show with real superpowers. I remember reading a bunch of Bronze Age stuff with him and it was really cool to see someone non white portrayed to be an equal, if not superior to some, of the white superheroes around him. So yeah.... groundbreaking. Far better than Triathalon I will tell ya.

Here's write-ups from the old TSR Marvel Super-hero RPG from the 80s for Black Panther, Captain America (Steve Rogers), "Captain America" (John Walker) and Spiderman (Peter Parker)

In terms of what those descriptors mean in relation to one another: Unearthly > Monstrous > Amazing > Incredible > Remarkable > Excellant > Good > Typical > Poor > Feeble

Note that these write-up are in terms of the characters from the comic books, so the MCU version could easily be a lot different.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 31, 2021

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
USAgent has always been the stronger, yet shittier Captain America.

I had forgotten how much pathos his origin had, though. He want to honor his brother who died in Viet Nam. Hmm. Wouldn’t it be some poo poo if over the next couple episodes we learn to really hate Walker, but then there is the revelation that he’s doing all this because his older sibling died in Iraq?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Marsupial Ape posted:

USAgent has always been the stronger, yet shittier Captain America.

I had forgotten how much pathos his origin had, though. He want to honor his brother who died in Viet Nam. Hmm. Wouldn’t it be some poo poo if over the next couple episodes we learn to really hate Walker, but then there is the revelation that he’s doing all this because his older sibling died in Iraq?

It would be weird if they went that direction but hadn’t hinted at it yet. We got both the private pep talk from his wife AND best bud, as well as the public Good Morning America intro, and there was no hint to it there?

On a different topic I went back and started reading the issues introducing Super-Patriot and The Buckies. Man that dialog is corny as hell, lmao. Though there’s also a subplot of Nomad (apparently an identity of a third CA sidekick?) going undercover on a orgy yacht which is pretty funny

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Like John Walker's early stuff was him doing false flag crimes to try and prove to people that he was the REAL Captain America

Then yeah, during his run as Cap when Cap quits he almost kills another West Coast Avenger because he's extremely unstable

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
"If you aren't going to join me then you better stay out of my way" is so un-Cap as to almost be cartoonishly evil.,

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Disney did end up cutting gay sub-plots from Star Wars, Frozen, and Avengers because of the Chinese censorship board, though.

Can't speak for Star Wars and Frozen, but the MCU being incredibly pale, male, and stale for the first phase and a half was mostly due to Ike Perlmutter, not China. I'm pretty sure that Mark Ruffalo has basically said that Feige threatened to walk out after The Avengers because Ike thought that Black Widow or Captain Marvel weren't bankable superheroes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

GORDON posted:

"If you aren't going to join me then you better stay out of my way" is so un-Cap as to almost be cartoonishly evil.,

I dunno, it's not that far from Steve in Infinity War.

quote:

I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

howe_sam posted:

I dunno, it's not that far from Steve in Infinity War.

I feel like the context of "I'm going to do the right thing regardless of the government's rules and wishes," vs "I'm going to do what the government wishes because that's the right thing regardless of what you want," is relevant.

The only time Steve was ever a completely obedient stooge was when he was a stage show. His first act as the real Captain America was to defy orders to do the right thing.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

live with fruit posted:

If they went just with villains of the Avengers, they could put together a team like:

-Justin Hammer (Iron Man)
-Zemo (Captain America)
-Abomination (Hulk)
-New Black Widow or Taskmaster (Black Widow)
-Whoever the bad guy in the Hawkeye show is going to be (Hawkeye)
-Uhh (Thor)

Plus Ghost, Mordo, Agatha and Walker.

Loki is still alive you know

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

If they went just with villains of the Avengers, they could put together a team like:

-Justin Hammer (Iron Man)
-Zemo (Captain America)
-Abomination (Hulk)
-New Black Widow or Taskmaster (Black Widow)
-Whoever the bad guy in the Hawkeye show is going to be (Hawkeye)
-Uhh (Thor)

Plus Ghost, Mordo, Agatha and Walker.

If we expand things a little, we get:

Adrian Toomes/Vulture (Iron Man)
Karli Morgenthau/Flag-smasher (Captain America)
Abomination (Hulk)
Agatha Harkness (was an occasional black widow over the centuries) (Black Widow)
Zemo (the guy was ex-special forces in Sokovia)(Hawkeye)
Lady Sif(I think her character is still alive, right?) (Thor)

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Everyone posted:

Lady Sif(I think her character is still alive, right?) (Thor)

Last I heard she was returning for Love and Thunder. She's not exactly a villain, though.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Daduzi posted:

Last I heard she was returning for Love and Thunder. She's not exactly a villain, though.

Come on the obvious answer is Encha...

*remembers Suicide Squad*

...Oh no. OH NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :gonk:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sanguinia posted:

Do you think Sam would have given up the Shield if he thought they were going to put it on a Captain America they had hand-selected? The fact that they lied about putting in the Smithsonian to get it out of the hands of a Black Man and give it to a White Man is pretty relevant.
I mean, maybe? But if he knew in advance, I assume he'd have fought hard for the museum thing, because the alternative is him very reluctantly carrying the mantle. That, or if he'd known, he might never have turned it over at all and claimed it was lost in the battle. For Sam the shield itself is symbolic of Steve's legacy, but the shield alone isn't what makes Cap, and the government could've easily made another one (or a knockoff if they didn't have a spare) whether Sam brought it back or not. Had Sam wanted the job and it was given to Walker anyway, sure, but he refused.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 31, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sticklefifer posted:

I mean, maybe? But if he knew in advance, I assume he'd have fought hard for the museum thing, because the alternative is him very reluctantly carrying the mantle. That, or if he'd known, he might never have turned it over at all and claimed it was lost in the battle. For Sam the shield itself is symbolic of Steve's legacy, but the shield alone isn't what makes Cap, and the government could've easily made another one (or a knockoff if they didn't have a spare) whether Sam brought it back or not. Had Sam wanted the job and it was given to Walker anyway, sure, but he refused.

Am I a bad person for wanting a little pushback against the mythologization of The Shield with some flashback to Wakanda when Howard Stark obtained it?

Wakandan1: So what "great relic" did you give that colonizer to get him to go away?

Wakandan2: I gave him that old disc that Uncle M'Braka used when he played "Fetch" with the war rhinos.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Not counting the old USO one, Cap had like 4 or 5 throughout the whole saga anyway, right? There's two red variations, a blue one, and that weird pointy Wakandan one, and I might be forgetting another one.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Everyone posted:

Am I a bad person for wanting a little pushback against the mythologization of The Shield with some flashback to Wakanda when Howard Stark obtained it?

Wakandan1: So what "great relic" did you give that colonizer to get him to go away?

Wakandan2: I gave him that old disc that Uncle M'Braka used when he played "Fetch" with the war rhinos.

Howard made the shield out of an alloy of Vibranium and other things didn't he. He got the Vibranium from Wakanda but it was likely just a rock, or something not shield shaped.

Not that this isn't a very funny mental image, I'm just pretty sure I remember Howard made the shield himself but got the materials from Wakanda.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I want more Justin Hammer only because I loving love Sam Rockwell in everything and its kind of a perfect role for him.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
When they introduced the new captain america and he looked extremely goofy in the helmet/mask, was that on purpose or not? Like he's a normal looking guy but looks like a complete mutant in that helmet thing.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

redreader posted:

When they introduced the new captain america and he looked extremely goofy in the helmet/mask, was that on purpose or not? Like he's a normal looking guy but looks like a complete mutant in that helmet thing.

it gives him a more unique silhouette, like one would design a cartoon character or a mascot

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lord_Magmar posted:

Howard made the shield out of an alloy of Vibranium and other things didn't he? He got the Vibranium from Wakanda but it was likely just a rock, or something not shield shaped.

Not that this isn't a very funny mental image, I'm just pretty sure I remember Howard made the shield himself but got the materials from Wakanda.

I really don't remember. I guess I just figured that in the 1940s nobody outside Wakanda had the ability to forge Vibranium into anything. Maybe Howard figured out that magnet thing and shaped the stuff that way.

TK-42-1 posted:

I want more Justin Hammer only because I loving love Sam Rockwell in everything and its kind of a perfect role for him.

Oh, I agree with more Justin Hammer, but I kind of see him less as "Iron Man" and more as the financier who cheaps out on the equipment/HQ.

I think I kind of want to re-think my "cast" and put Agatha in the "Thor" role (legendary, powerful long-lived being) and maybe put Trevor Slattery actor/con artist in the Black Widow role.

redreader posted:

That was absolutely deliberate to cue the viewers that "Yeah, this dude is not right to be Captain America."

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
It's a cinderella thing. The shoe helmet has to fit.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sloth Life posted:

It's a cinderella thing. The shoe helmet has to fit.

Well, at the very least you need to look somewhat like yourself while wearing instead of looking like the old man from Up. Unless you are the old man from Up who is also somehow the new Captain America.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Not counting the old USO one, Cap had like 4 or 5 throughout the whole saga anyway, right? There's two red variations, a blue one, and that weird pointy Wakandan one, and I might be forgetting another one.

He only ever had the one shield. They just changed the paint job to match the mission.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
From Reddit. I like Steve’s appropriate face.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Daduzi posted:

I believe a lot of versions of the Thunderbolts teams had heroes on them

Like I know at one point Luke Cage was the team leader

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Geo Fixer posted:

Loki is still alive you know

He's alive in another timeline in 2012, but then so are all the others who have died. That Loki exists parallel from the current MCU, depending on what happens in his series.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

Howard made the shield out of an alloy of Vibranium and other things didn't he. He got the Vibranium from Wakanda but it was likely just a rock, or something not shield shaped.

There was also a scene in Iron Man 2 where Tony is using a skeletal prototype shield as a paperweight and Coulson asks something like, "do you know what this is?"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man it's still hosed up to me that none of the Avengers ever found out Coulson is alive and he didn't even get to go to Tony Stark's funeral in Endgame despite being acknowledged enough by the MCU to have a nice little moment or two in Captain Marvel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Nutt posted:

Man it's still hosed up to me that none of the Avengers ever found out Coulson is alive and he didn't even get to go to Tony Stark's funeral in Endgame despite being acknowledged enough by the MCU to have a nice little moment or two in Captain Marvel.

Feign never wanted him brought back, that was on Whedon and Loeb's end. Assume he's dead in regular MCU continuity

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor Nutt posted:

He's dead. Don't be fooled by fanfic.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Feign never wanted him brought back, that was on Whedon and Loeb's end. Assume he's dead in regular MCU continuity

I know Whedon was involved in the creation of AoS, but even he said "are you nuts? He's dead." when people asked him if Coulson was going to make an appearance in Age of Ultron

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Doctor Nutt posted:

He's also technically dead again by that point in Agents of Shield.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

howe_sam posted:

I know Whedon was involved in the creation of AoS, but even he said "are you nuts? He's dead." when people asked him if Coulson was going to make an appearance in Age of Ultron

Which is really weird, as he's the guy who rebuilt Fury's helicarrier for Age of Ultron. According to AoS anyways, I know it's not canon but at the time it was a long running subplot on the show.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

seaborgium posted:

Which is really weird, as he's the guy who rebuilt Fury's helicarrier for Age of Ultron. According to AoS anyways, I know it's not canon but at the time it was a long running subplot on the show.

That's good cause Fury just kinda shows up in AoU and it feels lazy.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I will say that Wyatt Russell is doing an excellent job following the showrunner/director requests of "Okay, Wyatt, what we want is for your personality and attitudes as the new Captain America to be such that random people on the street in the real world will walk up and try to slap the life out of you."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I love the flip side where I'm seeing reddit "bravery" posts proclaiming out and proud "I don't hate John Walker" like it's some sort of grand achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Walker doesn’t strike me as an intentional bad person. He just a lot of built in authoritarianism and entitlement that makes him obnoxious to the people who haven’t grown up with him. I do suspect that the committee of senators and generals that had to have chosen him view the authoritarianism as a plus.