Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Posters on this forum page who claim it's broken and not being updated although now that I look more closely only System Image Backup Solution is actually on microsoft's deprecated list. I don't know enough to know what's really going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hypnophant posted:

Posters on this forum page who claim it's broken and not being updated although now that I look more closely only System Image Backup Solution is actually on microsoft's deprecated list. I don't know enough to know what's really going on there.

So no backup system anymore. No way to restore a non-booting system. I know whats going on, this is turning into apple yet again. Icloud/onedrive.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hypnophant posted:

I don't know enough to know what's really going on there.

The place where all those guys have "Volunteer Moderator" under their names means if they say a thing and it's not confirmed anywhere else by official communication, ignore it.

Also can you even imagine the type of pud who would volunteer to help out a company that make $39 billion last year?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Klyith posted:

Also can you even imagine the type of pud who would volunteer to help out a company that make $39 billion last year?

They are trying to maintain visibility for MVP status

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

redeyes posted:

So no backup system anymore. No way to restore a non-booting system. I know whats going on, this is turning into apple yet again. Icloud/onedrive.

If only there were good alternatives, like Macrium Reflect or Veeam Agent for Windows

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Anyone on Windows 10 Pro 20H2, have issues with this being "stuck" on fast?

I keep setting it to "Semi-Annual Channel", but when I look back on it, it's set back to "Fast".

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Im_Special posted:

I keep setting it to "Semi-Annual Channel", but when I look back on it, it's set back to "Fast".

Also 20H2, seems to work for me. By "when I look back", do you mean like hit ok then re-opening the setting immediately, or after a reboot / some elapsed time?

If immediate, I'd look at other policies, maybe you've set others that conflict. If it's got a delay, MS may be neutering that setting for people who aren't on WSUS or something.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Try setting the policy to Disabled (the top part of the window) unless you actually want to get preview builds.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I finally upgraded from Windows 8.1 pro to 10 pro yesterday. It was entirely painless and completely free (astonishingly), and I actually like some of the new features. I did install StartIsBack, though, since I hate the 10 start menu.

That said, there's an interesting change in my multi monitor behavior, for the better.

With 8.1, when I turned on my second monitor, my main monitor would blink out and then back. With 10, it stays visible. Anyone know why this is? Or is it related to something else somehow?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ambaire posted:

I finally upgraded from Windows 8.1 pro to 10 pro yesterday. It was entirely painless and completely free (astonishingly), and I actually like some of the new features. I did install StartIsBack, though, since I hate the 10 start menu.

That said, there's an interesting change in my multi monitor behavior, for the better.

With 8.1, when I turned on my second monitor, my main monitor would blink out and then back. With 10, it stays visible. Anyone know why this is? Or is it related to something else somehow?

Just different video drivers likely.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Klyith posted:

By "when I look back", do you mean like hit ok then re-opening the setting immediately, or after a reboot / some elapsed time?

It was this, I was looking back immediately, a reboot, then looking made it stick I guess.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Ambaire posted:

OpenShell is really good too in case you ever want an alternative to StartIsBack. My start menu looks exactly like it did in Windows 95 and I love it (of course it now also has a search box and other additions). The expandable control panel thing is so effin cool.

I also wanted to thank whoever recommended Macrium Reflect to me a few weeks back. It made an image of my C: while I was using it, and then I bought a new SSD, popped it into the computer, and had it restore that image to the new SSD and Windows 10 literally booted the first time I tried. I thought for sure there was going to be some sort of BCD fuckery I was going to have to do or something but nope, it was like I never even swapped the hard drive. What an amazing piece of software. Everything else I ever tried required me to remove the C:, plug it into a new computer, make a direct image of it over the course of 2 days, and so on. Oh and the new drive had to be the exact same storage size as the original one! Reflect didn't care about any of that poo poo. What a life-saver!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Awesome man. Glad it worked.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
oh yeah that was you! Thanks again!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I'm glad folks have the start menu setup they want, but it always confuses me the vehemence that people assign to it. Do people actually like...browse their start menu like it's Windows 95?

Basically all I ever do is hit Winkey, start typing, and then pick the option with up/down/enter, which means the only really big thing that's changed since windows 7 has been figuring out how to disable the web search that sometimes borks the results. I don't think I've actually like browsed my start menu in a decade.

Also: Macrium Reflect is a godsend.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 1, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

I'm glad folks have the start menu setup they want, but it always confuses me the vehemence that people assign to it. Do people actually like...browse their start menu like it's Windows 95?

Basically all I ever do is hit Winkey, start typing, and then pick the option with up/down/enter, which means the only really big thing that's changed since windows 7 has been figuring out how to disable the web search that sometimes borks the results. I don't think I've actually like browsed my start menu in a decade.

End users have NO idea wtf to do with this menu. Out of maybe 100 people, about 2 or 3 would do anything to customize the menu. The rest will put a bunch of icons on the desktop and then ignore the thing exists.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

redeyes posted:

End users have NO idea wtf to do with this menu. Out of maybe 100 people, about 2 or 3 would do anything to customize the menu. The rest will put a bunch of icons on the desktop and then ignore the thing exists.

Sure, but I did user support back in the Win95/98 era (and I don't do it now, so I dunno how much it's changed) and I can say with confidence that part is a historical problem; people back in the day just flooded their desktop and never used the start menu either.

Mostly I'm referring to like, the people that are savvy enough to find and install a Start Menu replacer, because I think that's more interesting than like 'my mother, who uses a computer for work'.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well I do think its loving ugly and stupidly designed. Do I replace it? Nah.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
My start menu typing prediction varies day to day; if I want to launch Elite Dangerous Market Connector, sometimes "edmc" correctly picks it. Sometimes it doesn't, and typing "Elite" won't even show it in the results. I have this behaviour across several Windows computers with varying apps and it's infuriating. I haven't resorted to replacing the start menu but it is a very inconsistent experience for a lot of people.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Less Fat Luke posted:

My start menu typing prediction varies day to day; if I want to launch Elite Dangerous Market Connector, sometimes "edmc" correctly picks it. Sometimes it doesn't, and typing "Elite" won't even show it in the results. I have this behaviour across several Windows computers with varying apps and it's infuriating. I haven't resorted to replacing the start menu but it is a very inconsistent experience for a lot of people.

This is why dedicated launchers like Launchy or Keypirinha will always be better than using the start menu at all, IMO.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Falcon2001 posted:

Nah, I make heavy use of the start menu and its equivalents. I do the same in KDE on Linux. The whole point to a GUI is to not have to type all the time. I wish I could make Windows more like KDE, but the start menu still works well enough.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Falcon2001 posted:

Basically all I ever do is hit Winkey, start typing,

I've had winkey semi-disabled since forever on my home machine, so never developed this habit when they added in in win7.

But also it depends a lot on how many different programs you use in an average day, and whether you're likely to have the mouse or the keyboard 'active' when you switch contexts. When I'm in a typing task I may have several apps open and I'm alt-tabbing, but rarely opening a new one. When I'm in other tasks that are kinda multi-workflow I'll have the mouse in hand more often.

So yeah I tend to use the start menu like it's 1995. I actively organize the start menu and pinned apps on the taskbar to make that faster, but every so often have to remind myself that type find exists. (Also I'm not using classic start or anything, because I think the 10 start menu is actually pretty good.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 1, 2021

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Falcon2001 posted:

Macrium Reflect is so good I bought it

But Windows' built in start menu search has been broken since windows 8, more or less. Classic Shell makes the search much more functional, forget browsing around in the menu, just the basic search is way better after using a replacement

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Basically when other people use a different tool than you, and you can only think "they must be doing the same thing as me but much worse, because I use a hammer and that screwdriver is useless for pounding nails", maybe you're the one being dumb.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

Basically when other people use a different tool than you, and you can only think "they must be doing the same thing as me but much worse, because I use a hammer and that screwdriver is useless for pounding nails", maybe you're the one being dumb.

Let's take a step back here now that we've resulted to insults: I'm not saying people are dumb for this, I'm just literally curious about the user patterns which is why I asked. Even in this thread there's been a bunch of different replies from people doing different things.

I really haven't run into any serious start menu search problems that weren't web search related though - disabling that basically solves most of my issues. Like the worst case is sometimes I have to type more of the name. Control panel is awful though, so I guess there's that.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I have web searches disabled in group policies. Anyways though it's the sheer unpredictability for me that sucks; my installed apps aren't changing yet the result ordering and hits are which totally breaks muscle memory for launching. I just keep my most frequent apps on the desktop and hit Win-D then Letter, Enter (or Letter * 2 or whatever).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Depending on what my brain is doing:
  • I'll hit WIN and click on a Start Menu tile. I've clustered applications and folders based on function in a sort of visual bookcase.
  • I'll just type out the name of the thing in Keypirinha.
Sometimes I do the visual thing, sometimes I do the text thing. Same with the task bar vs. ALT-TAB vs. virtual desktop switching. I'm glad there are multiple ways to do a thing, even if they can't be customized as much as I'd like.

I tried using Start menu search, but it was intolerably slow and unpredictable. At least I can train Keypirinha like a puppy.

edit:
Icons on the desktop: always off.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 1, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Falcon2001 posted:

Let's take a step back here now that we've resulted to insults: I'm not saying people are dumb for this, I'm just literally curious about the user patterns which is why I asked. Even in this thread there's been a bunch of different replies from people doing different things.

Sorry, I was going not for direct insult, but the way you phrased the question had a pretty obvious answer. Do the people who install a win98 start menu use it like a win98 start menu? Well, duh. It read as kinda dismissive more than open-minded curiosity about usage. You didn't ask why.

And I gotta say, I've rarely noticed the people who use classic shell / startisback / etc being particularly "vehement" about it. Yeah they have a strong preference for a thing to be a particular way and get :argh: when MS moves their cheese. They don't, as far as I've regularly seen, act like other people are weird or wrong for using the 10 one.

Now if you want to see people post with vehemence about a preference, page back a bit until you find the most recent dark mode / light mode derail. Fair number of dark mode people go beyond wanting a dark mode in all programs, and will insist that dark should be the default everywhere.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They've solved that, at least - like on Android, you select your preferred mode and apps use it by default, so everybody wins.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They've solved that, at least - like on Android, you select your preferred mode and apps use it by default, so everybody wins.

Well, until battery saver kicks in and forces dark mode regardless of preference.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I like that idea. Unfortunately LCD screens dont care about this too much. OLEDs though..

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
People that chose light mode are wrong and should be forced to chose dark mode.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I think this is a more recent Windows change too, at least. I've noticed a lot of apps respecting the OS choice now, which is nice.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

People that chose light mode are wrong and should be forced to chose dark mode.

Fight me.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Falcon2001 posted:

I don't think I've actually like browsed my start menu in a decade.

I don't browse it either, but what I do make extensive use of is the 'pin to start menu' option, and StartIsBack lets me have a nice list of pins with another nice list of frequently accessed below that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Less Fat Luke posted:

I have web searches disabled in group policies. Anyways though it's the sheer unpredictability for me that sucks; my installed apps aren't changing yet the result ordering and hits are which totally breaks muscle memory for launching. I just keep my most frequent apps on the desktop and hit Win-D then Letter, Enter (or Letter * 2 or whatever).

I think the varying search results is a relic from Cortana’s search indexing? I think it was intended to provide varying content kind of like what YouTube does.

At least I never have issues with intermittent search results if I disable everything Cortana related. Seems like MS has quietly given up on Cortana over the past couple years as well.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
Whenever I see screenshots of other peoples desktops I think to myself that I might be one of the very few people left that actually likes desktop shortcuts. Meticulously organized of course, but I have a line of shortcuts on my left that control applications, a line of shortcuts at the top of the screen that I consider "work tools" (DAWs, Adobe stuff, editing software) and a line on my right with organized folders containing all the stuff I'm working on.

My desktop organization pleases me, and I tidy and prune it often. No matter what I'm doing, all I have to do is hit the show desktop at the bottom right and every single program and folder thats useful to me is one doubleclick away. That seems so much more effecient to me than typing in the search bar or using the start menu.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
That was common in the windows 95/98 era (and it also made perfect sense then, I don’t think anybody was scrolling through the start menu to find stuff they used regularly) but I think most people transitioned to pinning regularly used stuff to the taskbar when windows 7 came out. Anything I use even semi frequently is pinned there and with modern wide screen monitors I have plenty of space left over, I could easily pin double the stuff. Launching things through search is something I’d only do for the super irregular things.

It doesn’t make sense to use desktop shortcuts as well when the taskbar is right there and always visible, unless you had literally dozens of programs you were using daily.

Back in the day I wouldn’t have had shortcuts to my games, since playing a game back then meant putting a CD in the drive at which point it would auto play. Now we have apps that launch other apps like steam and origin so 2 icons covers all my games.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

The Lord Bude posted:

It doesn’t make sense to use desktop shortcuts as well when the taskbar is right there and always visible, unless you had literally dozens of programs you were using daily.

Yeah this is probably it, I keep my browsers, steam, file explorer and spotify pinned in the taskbar but I also use my pc for everything (work and play) so I jump around between applications a lot, especially when editing. Having folders on my desktop as "holding zones" for commonly used files and temp dumps for the iterations of what I'm working on is just convenient for me.

I still keep some game shortcuts up on the left side, but only if I like the icon. If it looks lovely or messes up the symmetry I have an innocuous looking folder for "shortcuts I'd like to use but don't want to look at".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Lord Bude posted:

That was common in the windows 95/98 era (and it also made perfect sense then, I don’t think anybody was scrolling through the start menu to find stuff they used regularly) but I think most people transitioned to pinning regularly used stuff to the taskbar when windows 7 came out. Anything I use even semi frequently is pinned there and with modern wide screen monitors I have plenty of space left over, I could easily pin double the stuff. Launching things through search is something I’d only do for the super irregular things.

The Windows 95/98 start menus didn't scroll unless you had a truly ungodly number of entries. It was pretty easy to start stuff from muscle memory because it would always be in the same place. Pinning plus search largely obviated that, but search being inconsistent (and worse, changing as you try to hit enter) combined with having to scroll when search fails makes OpenShell the best of both worlds and the worst of neither. Though I can totally imagine use patterns where someone wouldn't benefit much.

quote:

Back in the day I wouldn’t have had shortcuts to my games, since playing a game back then meant putting a CD in the drive at which point it would auto play. Now we have apps that launch other apps like steam and origin so 2 icons covers all my games.

I always disabled autoplay, which ended up saving me that time Sony decided to have audio CDs stealth install a rootkit-based DRM system. Sometimes I get nostalgic about the bad old days, but then I remember that, and popups that could move and play audio.