Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
TNA had some kind of superpower to attract all the top people who should definitely not be running a wrestling promotion at the same time, and in its own way the result was magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
That superpower is called "it was the people who didn't stick around in the wwf after the buy out."

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Keep in mind at the time the options in the US at the time were WWE, TNA or working 00 Indies and ROH. And Japan wasn't really a big option than as they either weren't paying foreigners except for like one or two big names or were in a complete mess (Hi Inokism post Misawa leaving All Japan). TNA offered good money compared to the rest so of course Talent would sign there and stay there until the good money stopped

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Keep in mind at the time the options in the US at the time were WWE, TNA or working 00 Indies and ROH. And Japan wasn't really a big option than as they either weren't paying foreigners except for like one or two big names or were in a complete mess (Hi Inokism post Misawa leaving All Japan). TNA offered good money compared to the rest so of course Talent would sign there and stay there until the good money stopped

Cerebral Bore wasn't talking about talent, he was talking about management. NWA TNA hired all of the people who were involved with the failure of WCW and even some who were involved with the failures of post WCW projects already. Instead of going out and trying to find people with new ideas, they brought in all of the failures. Even young people like Borash who you wouldn't hang the failures of WCW on had already contributed greatly to the failures of WWA. Borash was a hard worker and would contribute in other ways but my god with his resume I wouldn't be hiring him in early 2002!

But even "the guy who booked one of the worst PPVs in history" isn't in the top tier of the failures they hired. And each and every one bit them in the rear end.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Paradoxically for a good bullshitter being adjacent to massive failure can be better than being unassociated with it. Just tell stories where the reason WCW failed is that they didn't do X, where X is whatever you want to do at that moment.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Oh yeah I guess I misread that

And yeah Wrestling is way to insular with it's management and bookers and loves giving failures 3/4th changes (see Bruce Pritchard). Hell we haven't really had new booking blood/top level management in the US until Tony Khan and it really does show in the difference in show quality

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Is there a reason Russo was so obsessed with pushing Jeff Jarrett as "The Guy" other than being his close personal friend?

I think it might have been as simple as sometimes you have a guy you are convinced is a star: you love the way he talks, the way he wrestles, the way he carries himself etc and you just know he's going to be a giant star and everybody is going to love him.... and it turns out that nope, it's literally just you and maybe a handful of other people who think that way and for everybody else this person is entirely unremarkable, or at best competent. Usually what happens then is you go,"Welp I guess I have to face the fact I was wrong" and move on, but with guys like Russo it seems like they continue to pull a,"No, it's the children who are wrong..." for the rest of their lives.

I call it the Ron Silver Effect, because it applies to actors as well. :colbert:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
e: nm

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ironically one of the points of contention between Jerry and Russo was that Russo didn't think Jeff could be a top level rear end kicking heel because he was Southern.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

Jerusalem posted:

I think it might have been as simple as sometimes you have a guy you are convinced is a star: you love the way he talks, the way he wrestles, the way he carries himself etc and you just know he's going to be a giant star and everybody is going to love him.... and it turns out that nope, it's literally just you and maybe a handful of other people who think that way and for everybody else this person is entirely unremarkable, or at best competent. Usually what happens then is you go,"Welp I guess I have to face the fact I was wrong" and move on, but with guys like Russo it seems like they continue to pull a,"No, it's the children who are wrong..." for the rest of their lives.

I call it the Ron Silver Effect, because it applies to actors as well. :colbert:

Ron Silver is an eternal legend in my mind for his starring role as himself in the HeatVision and Jack Pilot.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I had to look up Ron Silver; didn't know he was the "HIS FATHER IS THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY" guy

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Was "Large Adult Son" a thing that was said on TV, or was it a GDT meme or something?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Was "Large Adult Son" a thing that was said on TV, or was it a GDT meme or something?

its just a twitter joke that spread outward

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Very originally a weird twitter thing from an account called Muscularson about a father being bullied by large sons. Extended to be about Mike Huckabee. Extended further to be about the entire genre of grown up but immature failsons.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lamuella posted:

Very originally a weird twitter thing from an account called Muscularson about a father being bullied by large sons. Extended to be about Mike Huckabee. Extended further to be about the entire genre of grown up but immature failsons.

God this picture is a nightmare.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Is that picture from a Tim & Eric sketch?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

Even worse if you happen to be a dog

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
That dog's seen some poo poo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

new tlo rollcall looking bad

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

Cerebral Bore posted:

That dog's seen some poo poo.

I love that this response is almost a set in stone guarantee to follow that picture literally every time I see is posted.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The dog knows about the Huckabee family reputation with dogs https://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/p...ee-not-punished

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lamuella posted:

:psyduck: How did this get applied to Dominick? (I haven't kept up with WWE in the last couple years)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

People call Dominick Rey's large adult son because when he first showed up he was a child, and now he's grown up and is much bigger than Rey. Hence "Rey's large adult son."

I'm sure all the above stuff about the source of the term is accurate but I sure as hell never heard or read about twitter and the Huckabees or anything like that, it just seemed like a funny thing to say.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I mean, it IS funny.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not actually funny because he isn't even Rey's son.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Endless Mike posted:

It's not actually funny because he isn't even Rey's son.
Fine. Eddie's large adult son.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

I always thought Paul London was rad but never really caught any of his work outside of WWE (except the stoned shoot about Benoit and those circa-2010 videos of him dunking on Matt Hardy). Anything worth checking out?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Destroy My Sweater posted:

I always thought Paul London was rad but never really caught any of his work outside of WWE (except the stoned shoot about Benoit and those circa-2010 videos of him dunking on Matt Hardy). Anything worth checking out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSh2s_lmthI

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

He was awesome in the Rabbit Tribe in Lucha Underground. It was him and two other weirdos who were basically cartoony Alice in Wonderland midcarders who were constantly tripping balls.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The tag team with Generico in PWG is super good too

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Paul London's brief original run in Ring of Honor, when he'd been in the business for about 18 months (maybe less) was great. The first match that leaps out is the Street Fight against Michael Shane from Unscripted, it's a bonkers, wild match, not a traditional street fight but London's athleticism is unreal even all these years later. First Glory By Honor also had a very good 3 way with Shane & Spanky. Night of the Butcher had a match with Bryan Danielson which was good but there's a better match later. But Final Battle 2002 has him challenging forgotten ROH World Champion Xavier in a match that's real good.

First Year Anniversary Show in 2003 has a fantastic 3 way with London vs AJ Styles vs Low-Ki. Epic Encounter has a Best 2 out of 3 Falls match with Danielson & yeah, this is a must watch too. Night Of The Grudges has a fantastic singles match with AJ, & then London's final appearance of this run is at Glory By Honor, challenging Samoa Joe for the ROH Title

I think to narrow it down some more, the Street Fight with Michael Shane, the 3 way from the Anniversary Show & the Danielson match at Epic Encounter are what to look for. Which fortunately all are online.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

I would also add his match against AJ from Night of the Grudges 2003 to that list, though be aware that this match is worsened a bit by AJ's excessive use of f****t and f*g, even by his low standards.

From his tag run with Generico, the Guerilla Warfare match against Brandon&Dustin Cutler and the Bucks from PWG Seven 2010 is probably the best match in their run.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is London retired now? Cagematch shows him in LU and some indies in 2018, then nothing.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Thanks for the recs! I'll check 'em out

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
How true is it that WWF was going to replace Raw with Nitro when they bought WCW in 2001? And what, if anything, did TNN or USA have to say about this idiotic idea?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

How true is it that WWF was going to replace Raw with Nitro when they bought WCW in 2001? And what, if anything, did TNN or USA have to say about this idiotic idea?

There was a plan to have a separate WCW brand but the Tacoma show kinda killed any chance of WWE following through

I don't think RAW was planned to turn into Nitro, Vince is too prideful to use somebody else's idea fir his flagship show.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

The first Beyond Wrestling show I went to had Paul London in the main event and his entrance was just him walking around for 7ish minutes. I get featured walking out of the bathroom :/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDctpxSlqv0

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

At one point WCW was going to get Raw and WWF would get Smackdown. The plans changed several times and included that idea and WCW being its own touring brand with a show late nights on TNN, and then finally the invading faction we got.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/ThatsOurMongo/status/1377026998967615488

So is there some backstage story to this? The twitter thread doesn't reveal any details...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

MassRafTer posted:

At one point WCW was going to get Raw and WWF would get Smackdown. The plans changed several times and included that idea and WCW being its own touring brand with a show late nights on TNN, and then finally the invading faction we got.
Was that the one with a handful of working titles that included *ahem* "Hard-On Saturday Night"?