Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That’s it. It’s basically trophies since the Switch/Nintendo don’t have a system level reward like achievement/trophy so games do them within the game itself.

If previous games are anything to go by, rainbow dye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeyTS56E/

The gently caress

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

T1g4h posted:

Also where do I get Energy Drinks in Rise, then? I just beat Great Izuchi so i'm just starting out in this one.

From a few pages back but I didn't see it answered. You're SOL besides crafting until you unlock Buddy Village then you can buy them with points from Argosy. Til then, and after, turn off auto-craft for Mega Potions so your Honey doesn't get gobbled up, recipe for Energy Drink is Honey + Nitroshroom.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It's messed up how the game forces you to stop and craft all the Almudron gear by making it look so cool.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Social Animal posted:

Hammer bros what hr armor you guys wearing? I know this samurai set isn’t going to last me forever.

3 piece Great Izuchi with Alloy(?) gloves (the ones that are +2 critical eye) and whatever boots strike my fancy, but I'm only barely high rank.

That's one way to get to the Beatle Paradise :allears:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQfdFSsQJWk

thank god I'm so poor right now

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

It's messed up how the game forces you to stop and craft all the Almudron gear by making it look so cool.

This is me with every armor set. I'm still in 3 star village because I want to make everything.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I forced myself to go all the way to the end so that I could get started on making my cool gear selection without too much stress. Gonna try gunlance now that I have the time and desire to.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Zoig posted:

I forced myself to go all the way to the end so that I could get started on making my cool gear selection without too much stress. Gonna try gunlance now that I have the time and desire to.

Yeah I got to high rank so I could start making cool fun gear without worrying about it all becoming outdated

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

I normally hate watching long "guide" videos but in this case he actually shows his volcano mining route so you can follow along. The rest of the method is fishing for mining surges by rapidly clearing the 1* village quest "roly poly lanterns" (which he also shows his route for) with a botanist set to minimize gathering time. His routes make use of sub-camps so you'll want those unlocked as well.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lmao i did something similar just yesterday

https://i.imgur.com/SwiIOV8.mp4

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah those gifs and this video have made me really want to learn how to gunlance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9qVUY1OdT8

I almost feel bad for that Diablos

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Diephoon posted:

I normally hate watching long "guide" videos but in this case he actually shows his volcano mining route so you can follow along. The rest of the method is fishing for mining surges by rapidly clearing the 1* village quest "roly poly lanterns" (which he also shows his route for) with a botanist set to minimize gathering time. His routes make use of sub-camps so you'll want those unlocked as well.

It’s a simple route too so once you do it once it’s hard to forget. I don’t plan to run it often but I’ll check for upsurges every now and then and sneak a run or two. I did it this morning and made over 300k which was enough for me to forge most of my wish list.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
someone earlier in this thread mentioned "yoshi-ing your dog" and i realized i've been doing it and i felt so bad :negative:

https://i.imgur.com/75u7XdA.mp4
i'm still doing it because it's so useful :negative:

also, if there's one thing in rise i kinda wanna complain about it's how far into the air monster attacks extend. i realize they've done this on purpose because it wasn't like this previously but it still feels artificially bullshit imo. i've seen others talk about it here but i just got an excellent clip to show it off
https://i.imgur.com/cOsAEHA.mp4

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

also, if there's one thing in rise i kinda wanna complain about it's how far into the air monster attacks extend. i realize they've done this on purpose because it wasn't like this previously but it still feels artificially bullshit imo. i've seen others talk about it here but i just got an excellent clip to show it off

Oh so that's why I kept getting ragdolled by nargacuga when I fought him with my IG

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
At the same time, the ground hitboxes are really forgiving. Dodging diablos by just walking slightly to the left or right never gets old. :allears:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Crowetron posted:

What defensive options should I be focusing on with Charge Blade? It's fun, but I find myself eating a lot of hits as opposed to the DB where I'm basically Bayonetta dodging through everything. Should I be blocking more than dodging/wire jumping? Other way around?

If you break into HR you can't go wrong with Jyura armor - it's pretty CB centric with guard up, offensive guard, evade extender, and power prolonger. It gets you dodgy, it gets you blocky, and it keeps your poo poo powered up longer so you can deco out for full offense. Having -15 thunder resist is rough, but that's what Dango Thunder resist is for.

In terms of when to block, when to dodge, and when to guard point, it's really more a matter of what you feel comfortable with. The beauty of CB is that you've got plenty of options to work with and you can tool around with it to figure out what works best for you. Getting really good at your guard points will make you into the rudest dude around.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, monsters having ridiculously vertical hitboxes is absolutely cramping my IG style since you can't like jump over a ton of stuff anymore and it suuuucks. I thought I might have just been rusty when Mizutsune was bodying me in the demo but everyone now can just whack you out of the air with a ton more attacks and it loving blows

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Your Computer posted:

Mother loving I KNEW IT I KNEW THAT WAS BULLSHIT HITBOXES AND NOT ME WIREBUGGING WRONG gently caress YOU NARGA :argh:

(my third cart on my first try on HR Narga was something basically exactly like that and I was raging the gently caress out at the time)

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’m struggling to understand the Weapon Tree and Weapon Upgrades. I’m using LBG. I currently am using the Wind Thief L. Bowgun I. When I try to upgrade it says I don’t have the base weapon. I guess the base weapon is Hunter’s Rifle I? So I crafted one of those, went back to the Wind Thief, selected Upgrade and paid the money, and it deposited a regular Wind Thief L. Bowgun I into my inventory :what:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

LuckyCat posted:

I’m struggling to understand the Weapon Tree and Weapon Upgrades. I’m using LBG. I currently am using the Wind Thief L. Bowgun I. When I try to upgrade it says I don’t have the base weapon. I guess the base weapon is Hunter’s Rifle I? So I crafted one of those, went back to the Wind Thief, selected Upgrade and paid the money, and it deposited a regular Wind Thief L. Bowgun I into my inventory :what:

For weapons, "upgrade" means "create by upgrading the previous weapon". In this case you created the Wind Thief L. Bowgun by "upgrading" the Hunters Rifle I. The next version of the Wind Thief L. Bowgun is the weapon to the right of it on the tree, which you would create or upgrade to by selecting that weapon.

The distinction is there because some weapons can be made from scratch, which uses more materials, in case you don't want to upgrade through the whole tree.

It's confusing because with armor, individual pieces are upgraded, which makes them stronger but keeps them as the same basic item. It's different.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

LuckyCat posted:

You select the weapon you want to make, then you choose how to make it - either by forging a new copy (not available for all weapons) or by upgrading the previous weapon on the tree into it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You don't select "upgrade" on the weapon you're using, you select "upgrade" on the next weapon in the tree. Upgrade moves the weapon before it into the weapon next up. There's no system to just upgrade a weapon you have right now into something better without changing it entirely, besides rampage stuff later on.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I get that monsters have to move faster than normal when transitioning between areas to make up for the fact that there's no zones anymore, but the transition between normal movement and "lmao later nerd" is a little jarring sometimes.

https://twitter.com/Cythrin/status/1377037480243781632

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Your Computer posted:

lmao i did something similar just yesterday

https://i.imgur.com/SwiIOV8.mp4

I remember not too long ago this thread was wondering how Gunlance could be made more unique compared to Lance. Apparently the answer to that question was "Make Gunlance straight up a jetpack"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I have a confession to make, I like the female Almudron armor more than the male armor, the hi-tech cat hoodie is real cute and great.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

I get that monsters have to move faster than normal when transitioning between areas to make up for the fact that there's no zones anymore, but the transition between normal movement and "lmao later nerd" is a little jarring sometimes.

Most of the time they seem to gradually shift speeds but there’s definitely something funny going on sometimes. I had a hobbling pukei go into turbomode in like half a second from dead stop

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Still futzing in the demo, now with the HH. I farted around for several minutes at the start getting comfortable with the controls. I ran the mizutsune hunt and not only did I take down Rath for the first time I took down the other two mons.

The horn is a beast!

I need to read up how exactly the notes and magnificent trio work. It's definitely different than in GU and it mostly worked but I'm still not sure what I did to make mag trio available.

I loved the horn in GU and it seems even better now! :D

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Wildtortilla posted:

I need to read up how exactly the notes and magnificent trio work. It's definitely different than in GU and it mostly worked but I'm still not sure what I did to make mag trio available.

Default mode for Rise horn works on two principles:

Play a given note (X, A, or X+A) twice in a row, and it activates that song.
Having all three on your staff (which contains your last four notes) at any given time enables use of Magnificent Trio.

Once you enable Magnificent Trio you don't have to keep the notes in the staff, and it doesn't go away until you fully resolve the attack.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Wrist Watch posted:

This was a deliberate decision and difference from World, where it wasn't uncommon to beat on the monster until a fresh break/knockdown, trap them mid-flee or to tag them with slinger ammo that causes a flinch and re-aggro. The turbo will activate consistently when the hunter hits the monster as they're doing a zone change flee. I have been able to ride palamute and use the dog's melee on them without triggering it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Wrist Watch posted:

The "later nerd" bit was also a Lance nerf, indirectly. In World, you could Dash Attack/Charge slightly faster than monsters limped away, so you could keep attacking them (and sometimes trip them or sever the tail) as they bailed. It was kind of letdown when I saw the retreat speed in the demo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

I remember not too long ago this thread was wondering how Gunlance could be made more unique compared to Lance. Apparently the answer to that question was "Make Gunlance straight up a jetpack"
for reference, both the blast dash and the guard point reload are from MHGU

and I'm so thrilled they're back because GL is finally fun again :allears:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I made this joke for exactly no one

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LuckyCat posted:

As others have pointed out, the confusion is that "Upgrade" in that menu means "make this weapon by upgrading another weapon into it," not "give this weapon a +1" or something like that. Generally, interacting with a weapon node on the tree means "make this specific weapon."

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
very excited for all the new CB mains to unlock the final CB switch skill :getin:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Your Computer posted:

This is absolutely perfect. I thought I was going insane on some monsters. I know most of those moves aren't even good but I've been trying them out in the spirit of the game but blah.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oh thank god, same

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Turf Wars are just less common here than in World, right? I love seeing new ones, Tetranadon is fuckin amazing to watch

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Impermanent posted:

very excited for all the new CB mains to unlock the final CB switch skill :getin:

I did hammer/CB in World and was going to try something new for Rise. Don't tempt me pls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Your Computer posted:

for reference, both the blast dash and the guard point reload are from MHGU

and I'm so thrilled they're back because GL is finally fun again :allears:

it's so much fun after the post-hunt carve to wirebug up and rocket 3 times around everyone into a slam, in much the same way IG users never touch the ground

i actually got a 'wow' from someone once :allears: