Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Apparently they had to close the blankies sub reddit or something because a bunch of film nerds got so angry about BDG ruining their very serious twitter poll.

e: I wanted either WKW or Altman to win but it was obviously always going to be Carpenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Lol pathetic. Reddit is truly the worst.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Colonel Whitey posted:

Lol pathetic. Reddit is truly the worst.

I thought they couldn't top people paying for bots to swing a podcasts twitter poll in their favour but I guess quarantine has made people truly 100% insane

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It was just a single thread on the reddit that got closed.

tbh I can understand some annoyance since I sure as heck don't wanna hear them talk about like, 5 Depp movies with all the baggage that entails and also a movie starring a rapist.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Jeff's collection has been a running joke since Ryan was alive. they even did that game of the year video about it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

zimbomonkey posted:

Jeff's collection has been a running joke since Ryan was alive. they even did that game of the year video about it.

I'm sorry, is there a Jeff McElroy? and where does he rank among the brothers

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Jeff's the brother who voted for Trump

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 31, 2021

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Ok Comboomer posted:

Reddit is the site where fat dudes who don’t wipe for political reasons go to share their ex girlfriends’ nudes for fake internet clout
Reddit is a million separate little websites that barely interact, it's weird to characterize it as any one thing so strongly.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah, there's a big gulf between a lot of the popular subreddits which are just aggregates, and niche subs which can be stuff like very specific game discussion or hate groups or something like AskHistorians which unlike normal 'ask' subs has a very high standard for what answers are allowed, leading to good and insightful content. (and also tons of deleted answers from people who aren't historians just posting something they heard online somewhere, who then get angry about why their comments are getting deleted)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sivart13 posted:

Reddit is a million separate little websites that barely interact, it's weird to characterize it as any one thing so strongly.

nah, gently caress reddit

a person outing themselves as a redditor to me instantly diminishes them in my eyes, doesn’t matter what their niche is

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

a person outing themselves as a redditor to me instantly diminishes them in my eyes, doesn’t matter what their niche is

ok comboomer

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Welcome to the site that used to make fun of mother’s grieving their stillborn births and also the birthplace of 4chan.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

inferis posted:

Welcome to the site that used to make fun of mother’s grieving their stillborn births and also the birthplace of 4chan.

yeah but we never had a creepshots subforum, or one for “jailbait,” or one for “dead jailbait”, or one for “n*****bait”

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
but we do have fyad and cspam

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is the beef that Travis paints his nails, dyes his hair purple, and refers to himself as “the cute one”? Is it that you find the open mouth schtick annoying and/or fake?

Because if so, then as personally annoying as you might find that, it doesn’t really deserve an accusation of “performative woke”—unless you’re some kind of coded behavior essentialist who thinks that only queer men or transwomen should be allowed to be effeminate and have purple hair.

It feels like a lot of the people really leaning into the soyface poo poo are just looking for acceptable ways to be like “guys who look and act and sound like that just really piss me off and make me wanna beat ‘em up” but they’ve been socially conditioned to temper it with “but just to be clear it’s totally ok for real LGBTQ people to be like this, but this prick’s fair game because he’s ‘fake”.

several pages ago now but I laughed a lot at this poster coming for me this hard and putting a metric ton of words in my mouth just for saying that Travis has issues with performative wokeness

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
please, everyone:

posting to frustrate each other is not a fun way to post because we're all on the same team and that team is to have fun together and to make it fun for all our audiences. And so when people make posts just to frustrate each other and just to troll each other, there's enough of that in the world today, of people trolling each other just to be mean and to be hurtful, and if we're gonna post in this space together we need to do it because we want each other to have fun and not because we're trying to frustrate each other, cause there's enough frustrating things in the world right now and there's enough we can't control, and one of the things we can control is that everyone is here to have fun and not waste each others' time and so when we make decisions that are meant to troll each other, that's something that bad people do.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I also hate reddit. Not for any ideological reasons like that weirdo, I just don't like popular things also the threads are too hard for my old man brain to follow

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Lmao

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Do it ironically posted:

please, everyone:

posting to frustrate each other is not a fun way to post because we're all on the same team and that team is to have fun together and to make it fun for all our audiences. And so when people make posts just to frustrate each other and just to troll each other, there's enough of that in the world today, of people trolling each other just to be mean and to be hurtful, and if we're gonna post in this space together we need to do it because we want each other to have fun and not because we're trying to frustrate each other, cause there's enough frustrating things in the world right now and there's enough we can't control, and one of the things we can control is that everyone is here to have fun and not waste each others' time and so when we make decisions that are meant to troll each other, that's something that bad people do.
this but unironically

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

several pages ago now but I laughed a lot at this poster coming for me this hard and putting a metric ton of words in my mouth just for saying that Travis has issues with performative wokeness

ok

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

but I thought these forums were troll-free...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stroop There It Is posted:

but I thought these forums were troll-free...

apparently some ppl have “thoughts” about “performative wokeness”

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
day 3 of griffin's paternity leave and this thread is already eating itself alive, nice

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

AndrewP posted:

I'm sorry, is there a Jeff McElroy? and where does he rank among the brothers

well obviously this is the wrong thread.

and third.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Please god close the thread again

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Hustle Hound posted:

day 3 of griffin's paternity leave and this thread is already eating itself alive, nice

Where have you been the last couple weeks

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Please god close the thread again

you’ll have to ask a mod or admin, if the op won’t do it

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah but we never had a creepshots subforum, or one for “jailbait,” or one for “dead jailbait”, or one for “n*****bait”

those subreddits are obviously gross and bad and it reflects badly on the site administration that they’re still around but it’s not like the vast majority of the sites userbase knows about or actually posts on them

talking about people ‘outing themselves as redditors’ is embarrassing lmao cmon

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I'm ok with turning this into the unofficial temporary Blank Check thread since it's tangentially related to BDG by less than three degrees of separation

Basically just wanted a place to post this masterstroke in the Carpenter v Verbinski war

https://twitter.com/zona_moribunda/status/1377295586991476736?s=20

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dmboogie posted:

those subreddits are obviously gross and bad and it reflects badly on the site administration that they’re still around but it’s not like the vast majority of the sites userbase knows about or actually posts on them

talking about people ‘outing themselves as redditors’ is embarrassing lmao cmon

It was like pretty heavily in the news a few years ago.

Like Anderson Cooper did a whole exposé on it and poo poo.

And a bunch of goons helped do the initial work to get the word out and collect documentation about the gross subcultures at Reddit and the administration that both protected and abetted them, especially once Reddit started working to hide evidence of that poo poo, multiple times obstructing the efforts of actual victims to get accountability.

There were a bunch of big threads about it here, under names like “To Catch A Redditor”.

And this is before all the gamergate and Trump-era rightbaiting on the site too. Or the harassment culture poo poo at Reddit corporate. Like if you join the site after all of this you don’t really get the benefit of the doubt to me in terms of not knowing. And Reddit didn’t *need* to keep poo poo like TD around for years, it turns out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
a few years ago lowtax, known woman beater, still owned this website

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
let's not forget that somethingawful was the toxic troll army that accidentally memed donald trump into the white house

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
There's no ethical posting under capitalism you wangz

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm ok with turning this into the unofficial temporary Blank Check thread since it's tangentially related to BDG by less than three degrees of separation

Basically just wanted a place to post this masterstroke in the Carpenter v Verbinski war

https://twitter.com/zona_moribunda/status/1377295586991476736?s=20

The biggest twist of this tournament was learning that Altman was indirectly responsible for Griffin Newman existing.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Srice posted:

The biggest twist of this tournament was learning that Altman was indirectly responsible for Griffin Newman existing.

Lol, I think I missed that. I knew his dad and Altman were drinking buddies, but did Altman introduce him to Griffin's mom or something?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

Lol, I think I missed that. I knew his dad and Altman were drinking buddies, but did Altman introduce him to Griffin's mom or something?

Yeah! https://twitter.com/blankcheckpod/status/1376736996564013058

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That's wild, I hope they do Altman soon anyway

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

That's wild, I hope they do Altman soon anyway

Same! I have hopes it'll happen eventually. Just not this year.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

It was like pretty heavily in the news a few years ago.

Like Anderson Cooper did a whole exposé on it and poo poo.

And a bunch of goons helped do the initial work to get the word out and collect documentation about the gross subcultures at Reddit and the administration that both protected and abetted them, especially once Reddit started working to hide evidence of that poo poo, multiple times obstructing the efforts of actual victims to get accountability.

There were a bunch of big threads about it here, under names like “To Catch A Redditor”.

And this is before all the gamergate and Trump-era rightbaiting on the site too. Or the harassment culture poo poo at Reddit corporate. Like if you join the site after all of this you don’t really get the benefit of the doubt to me in terms of not knowing. And Reddit didn’t *need* to keep poo poo like TD around for years, it turns out.

This was called The Reddit Bomb and it was driven by user A Glistening Hodor. I was part of the operation of spamming news outlets. Never forget :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I think if someone told me they were a redditor i would feel the same sense of embarrassment for them as if they told me they were a Goon. I'm just an old man who spent his youth posting on internet forums, when it was a weird thing that shut ins did, and I still associate it with that.