Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

joepinetree posted:

Keep in mind that there might be simpler ways to recover your stuff without editing your stats. The "community server/individual game" dynamics are the same for gear. So if your body is in the middle of an area that you'd die quickly, you can rush in there, grab all your stuff, log off immediately, log into a single player game, drop off your gear in a chest, log into the community server, finish getting murdered, spawn at bed, log into your single player game, and grab your stuff.

Oh dip, I never even thought of that! Not a bad idea without using dev commands, thank you

Heffer posted:

Juice up on high stam foods, get the rested buff, bring a shield to block mosquitoes, pop the Eik buff and never stop running.

Yup, that's the plan! Should be exciting, need to find some good music to accompany it, ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

Same thing happened to me with portals, and now I have an extra portal in my home base for emergencies. I know a lot of people opt for portal complexes, but a small portal section near my work space is all I need. Another option is to make a chest, leave all your items inside, destroy the bed you're tethered to and kill yourself. You'll spawn at the very beginning of the game.

Obviously, the best option is to go on an epic journey.

Funny thing is I actually did have an emergency portal back in my base, but I had used it for a non-emergency like an hour prior and didn't rename it.

Also I was bound to my home bed so I did think about just offing myself and renaming the portal from the other end... but this was way more fun anyway.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Does the hearth need a blue colored block to place? I am trying to place a hearth upstairs, but in the spot I'm trying to place it in, it crumbles immediately after. When I place it in another location upstairs, there's no issue at all. What gives?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bioshuffle posted:

Does the hearth need a blue colored block to place? I am trying to place a hearth upstairs, but in the spot I'm trying to place it in, it crumbles immediately after. When I place it in another location upstairs, there's no issue at all. What gives?

needs stone support or ground.

im not sure if it can be placed directly on iron beams.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I geared to the teeth for the swamp, full bronze gear at level 3, a bunch of food, the key the elder dropped, 200 fire arrows, etc.

so it turns out "the swamp" I found was a basically a small beach not connected to anything else I can see lol. should have brought the ingredients for a raft instead

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

punishedkissinger posted:

needs stone support or ground.

im not sure if it can be placed directly on iron beams.

It can go on beams, I have a hearth in my wood beehive I hung off the side of a plains pillar

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh dip, I never even thought of that! Not a bad idea without using dev commands, thank you

Yup, that's the plan! Should be exciting, need to find some good music to accompany it, ha

https://youtu.be/e2LLS33eQvk

Run! RUN!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Heffer posted:

Juice up on high stam foods, get the rested buff, bring a shield to block mosquitoes, pop the Eik buff and never stop running.

Yeah this is the thing people (or maybe just one guy on my server?) seemed to struggle with. If you die somewhere random, don't do naked corpse runs over and over, do a tiny bit of prep work and you'll be fine

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i want more options for planting trees, including being able to plant those angular trees you see around. trees provide the best building support and i wanna have the best treehouse ever!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Since the last patch I am encountering a game breaking bug. The world updates like every 20 minutes or so and since the last patch, I tend to periodically CTD during this saving process. When I log back on immediately, both my inventory and world progress in the last 20 minutes are gone. In one case, it went back more than 20 minutes.

I'm using a google VM hosted server. Anyone else having this issue or have any idea what might be going on? It's bad enough that I am considering shelving the game until I can find a solution.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

padijun posted:

I geared to the teeth for the swamp, full bronze gear at level 3, a bunch of food, the key the elder dropped, 200 fire arrows, etc.

so it turns out "the swamp" I found was a basically a small beach not connected to anything else I can see lol. should have brought the ingredients for a raft instead

Don’t forget poison potions! Swamp poison effects are no joke and you will be ruthlessly murdered despite your thorough preparation without.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

lol yup, this'll be it. thanks!

will report back after :derp: my way to my corpse

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

padijun posted:

lol yeah this kind of thing crops up every now and then. I've passed by multiple "plains" that are basically just a tiny strip of land on the edge of a black forest or swamp while I sail around.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

causticBeet posted:

Don’t forget poison potions! Swamp poison effects are no joke and you will be ruthlessly murdered despite your thorough preparation without.

my plan was to run away from blobs, but they're probably in the crypts too huh?

Kibayasu posted:

lol yeah this kind of thing crops up every now and then. I've passed by multiple "plains" that are basically just a tiny strip of land on the edge of a black forest or swamp while I sail around.

is it at least a reliable indication of more jungle nearby?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

padijun posted:

The crypts are pretty easy, most of the enemies are behind walls of stuff you need to mine out and they can't figure out how to cross uneven ground, so you just mine out a hole then shoot anything on the other side.

You really have to work at it to get poisoned inside

e: If you're looking for new ways to deal with water:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuhhnOn9MHQ

Azhais fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 31, 2021

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

padijun posted:

It’s not too hard to avoid all the stuff that poisons you, but it does A LOT of damage and it’s way easier to just drink the resist potions and ignore it than hope you never get surprised by a blob or leech. In crypts specifically you can generally hack away a portion of a scrap pile and sit there and plink away at stuff, but why bother? Poison resist potions are easy enough to make.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

I've told this story before, but i've run into that. Except that there were 4 fulings while I thought I was landing on a black forest, and they proceeded to destroy my boat and murder me.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

padijun posted:

My advice with the blobs is to have a poison resist active, and rush them aggressively with a mace. They go down like a rock, and I'd say if you're aggressive enough 3 out of 4 times they don't get the poison effect off on you. Even if they do, with the resist potion you're in good shape. Keep in mind if it's an orange ooze, it will break into 2 blobs, so just keep swinging. Most blob fear comes from people who get poisoned without resist and then have to watch their impending doom occur in real time, and conclude not to gently caress with them. Absolutely gently caress with them - just prepared. I treat them like a priority target, like the poison crabs in Half-Life 2.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 1, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The slower power-attacks generally one hit them too which helps

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I didn't realize until today that some crypts have underwater passages that look like dead-ends but you can actually swim through. Also I didn't realize you can kill birds. And that dragon eggs respawn. What other stuff am I totally missing? Does every beehive drop a queen and I just failed to find it half the time?

I'm glad I left those 6 stacks of iron in the swamp instead of trying to move it overland. I made a forge to craft iron nails over there, to get that forge maxed out all I really needed was to locally source 2 bronze, 10 copper. This was a lot easier than repeat trips hauling stacks of iron scrap across a continent. 35 iron to get the final forge upgrades and then everything I'd need to build and upgrade padded armor would have been many long trips.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Blobs are the only.mob that I know of that jumps. They will jump over incomplete mining jobs and poison yo rear end.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Sanctum posted:

I didn't realize until today that some crypts have underwater passages that look like dead-ends but you can actually swim through. Also I didn't realize you can kill birds. And that dragon eggs respawn. What other stuff am I totally missing? Does every beehive drop a queen and I just failed to find it half the time?

Hive drops sometimes (probably a lot of the time) glitch themselves on top of whatever structure they were attached to. Every hive drops a queen.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I have not been able to bring myself to kill a crow, but shooting a seagull was literally the first thing I did upon acquiring a bow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The feather explosion is pretty glorious.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I have not been able to bring myself to kill a crow, but shooting a seagull was literally the first thing I did upon acquiring a bow.

Yeah it feels... wrong to kill a crow, but I'll happily explode the trash birds all day long.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Sanctum posted:

One of the dead ends is really easy to get stuck in and drown, it's the one with a branch in it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I was playing yesterday I realized that there was a small channel cutting through the continent that would take me straight back to my house instead of going all the way around. I proceeded to Suez Canal myself almost immediately.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I just lost a good portion of my base to trolls. By the time I was able to get to them, they had smashed a lot of my stuff to pieces and wiped out all of my wolves. Again. Crappy no star wolves, granted, but still.

What is the design philosophy behind base invasions? Is it a good mechanic? What is the point of them? Do the developers just want us to live in constant fear that our base is going to get smashed? Are they trying to discourage people from building a centralized base? Do they want people to cheese it with moats and pathing exploits?

I've just about had it. If it happens again, I am just going to use cheats to cancel them out. Do any of you enjoy them? Tell me why you think it should stay in the game.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I really like the concept but wish they were more engaging.

At best you kinda just kite them away kill stuff (which tends to be pretty boring because the combat in this game becomes so quickly irrelevant once you pass a “tier”) and at worse they smash through your whole base because you were afk/not paying attention/whatever

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Yeah I love the raid events. Its the only way to test your base defenses. I avoided moats because of the lag cost of terraforming, and built a 4m high wall cutting off a peninsula. Serious invaders like the swamp will swim out and around my defenses, but it buys me enough time to get food, gear, rested, and hop over the fence to fight whoever is there. Trolls suck, but you should be pulling them away from your base ASAP.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Personally, I don't like the raids. It forces me into building my bases with certain techniques that I find I find ugly (trenches + walls). Please let me just build pretty things without screwing up the landscape.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think raids would be better if they were more structured and also if you could actually have a garrison for your settlements, and if gobbos couldn't demolish everything by looking at it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

if you could actually have a garrison for your settlements

I tamed two 2-star wolves, and they bred like rabbits. Once we get up to 6 or so we take all but a breeding pair outside. We're up to 30 of them outside our walls at this point. Invasions don't matter and a daily sweep of the loot drops gets you all the resin, deer hide, and leather you could want. Plus they keep breeding even outside the walls from eating their prey.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Logged in to look at my boat pointing towards the sky. Then it capsized and got destroyed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rydiafan posted:

I tamed two 2-star wolves, and they bred like rabbits. Once we get up to 6 or so we take all but a breeding pair outside. We're up to 30 of them outside our walls at this point. Invasions don't matter and a daily sweep of the loot drops gets you all the resin, deer hide, and leather you could want. Plus they keep breeding even outside the walls from eating their prey.

I was more meaning like, things that would make use of fortifications.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

my meadows base got invaded by frost drakes, including the winter weather stuff that did constant damage. they wrecked a bunch of my poo poo and also killed all but one of my two star boars. i did my best to fend them all off with poison arrows.

it owned, i like the invasions. i will never do dumb, ugly poo poo like digging giant trenches, i will build however i want, defend my base, and rebuild later. maybe one day i will build my fort in such a way that it an impenetrable fortress.

i know it is not period appropriate but i hope some day they add siege weaponry to the game, both for pvp purposes and also so that i can have a cool ballista turret in my base.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Bioshuffle posted:

I've just about had it. If it happens again, I am just going to use cheats to cancel them out. Do any of you enjoy them? Tell me why you think it should stay in the game.

Odin should rub you into the dirt, imho. Invasions/raids are one of the best and immersive parts of the game. Makes it feel more like a living, breathing, and and brutal world. As it should be.

Take a moment and view things from the perspective of the dwarves that you routinely go forth to wholesale slaughter. Do you imagine they have forums where they can gripe about how unfair it all is, and that they will get fed up and use dwarven cheat codes next time you go ransacking them?

:colbert:

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002
Does a ward protect against base damage at all? If not, what’s to stop someone destroying doors to get through them and chests to grab your stuff?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

MichaelFlatley posted:

Does a ward protect against base damage at all? If not, what’s to stop someone destroying doors to get through them and chests to grab your stuff?
nothing, trust no one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I feel like people are ignoring the spiked stakes for defenses. I can safely ignore skeletons, greydwarves, and occasionally fulings (at my smaller outposts) thanks to spiked stakes. Just run around and repair them every few days to make sure you don't have to constantly farm up more core wood to replace them if they break.