Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

ApplesandOranges posted:

Take Over is extremely good and underrated since everyone remembers Last Surprise. Which is still great (and the Strikers version is absolutely smashing), but honestly TO is up there.

My pet peeve is why did they not make Last Surprise, the song about how you've bamboozled the enemy and got them by surprise, the ambush theme and Take Over, the song describing the Phantom Thieves objective, the normal battle theme.

It may be dumb but it just feels backwards to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'm feeling conflicted learning that I'm not going to be hearing Last Surprise 1000x over my next 100+ hours of playtime.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I'm feeling conflicted learning that I'm not going to be hearing Last Surprise 1000x over my next 100+ hours of playtime.

All you gotta do is gently caress up getting ambushes and you can hear Last Surprise as much as you want :hai:

(I actually like Take Over even better though and yes, I am a heretic)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

My pet peeve is why did they not make Last Surprise, the song about how you've bamboozled the enemy and got them by surprise, the ambush theme and Take Over, the song describing the Phantom Thieves objective, the normal battle theme.

No it's true. Last surprise works much better as an ambush song and take over much better as a frontal assault song.

Unfortunately they did the same thing in Persona 4 where they replaced the old music with the new music for the ambush fights because that's the one that players are most likely to hear if they're playing well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lyrically I agree that Last Surprise works better as the ambush song, but I feel like Take Over sounds so triumphant that it makes the most sense as the "haha you're hosed we caught you off guard" song.

I've rationalized it by deciding that the "Last Surprise" in this case is that you thought you caught the Phantom Thieves off guard but they're going to turn it around and own you anyway.

Deltasquid posted:

No it's true. Last surprise works much better as an ambush song and take over much better as a frontal assault song.

Unfortunately they did the same thing in Persona 4 where they replaced the old music with the new music for the ambush fights because that's the one that players are most likely to hear if they're playing well.

I think it's the opposite in Persona 4 Golden. The new music is the standard non-ambush music, while the ambush music is Reach Out to the Truth. Same reason, too: Reach Out to the Truth sounds more triumphant/powerful than Time To Make History, so they play it when the player has the upper hand.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Listening to Last Surprise on my personal computer, I'm disappointed that the chorus doesn't hit as hard as I remember. Hoping that's just for the soundtrack!

E: And I'm tentatively sorry for bringing this up as I'm getting the feeling that discussing Last Surprise v Take Over is a core part of this thread's cycle

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Harrow posted:

Lyrically I agree that Last Surprise works better as the ambush song, but I feel like Take Over sounds so triumphant that it makes the most sense as the "haha you're hosed we caught you off guard" song.

I've rationalized it by deciding that the "Last Surprise" in this case is that you thought you caught the Phantom Thieves off guard but they're going to turn it around and own you anyway.

I think it's the opposite in Persona 4 Golden. The new music is the standard non-ambush music, while the ambush music is Reach Out to the Truth. Same reason, too: Reach Out to the Truth sounds more triumphant/powerful than Time To Make History, so they play it when the player has the upper hand.

Oh, yeah, Take Over's opening rift is amazing and does 100% fit as the ambush theme in the musical regard. It's just lyrically it feels the opposite, but that's a good razonalization you've made there for Last Surprise!

Not sure if the winner is Take Over, Wiping All Out or BABYBABYBABYBABYBABY in terms of Persona Battle Theme Openings.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Both Last Surprise and Take Over still work better than Persona 4G's Reach Out To The Truth as battle music.

And I actually still like "Reach Out To the Truth", but to me it would work better as theme music for a beach trip or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeOwcqngDx4

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
The Reincarnation version of Reach Out to the Truth is better because it has this whole verse (starts at 3:21)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v025kIQBhY&t=201s

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of Reincarnation versions, that version of I'll Face Myself is really good. It's used in both the anime and for a boss fight in Golden and it's great in both places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDr_krEQNrU

Wudz posted:

The Reincarnation version of Reach Out to the Truth is better because it has this whole verse (starts at 3:21)

I have never noticed the lyrics to that verse before :pusheen:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

It does feel backwards but it’s because 99% of the fights in this game are started with an ambush and they wanted to showcase the new song

Harrow posted:

You’re right about which song plays when, but which song they chose is again based on how you’re most likely to start fights in that game (not with an ambush)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Just got my COVID vaccine and man that poo poo is wild. The nurse stuck me with the needle and I heard this voice in my head.

“I am thou, thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow. It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity. With the birth of the Pfizer Persona, I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power...”

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's bullshit man, I got the Moderna Vaccine and I woke up covered in tattoo's and now I have to kill all my friends?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Gaius Marius posted:

That's bullshit man, I got the Moderna Vaccine and I woke up covered in tattoo's and now I have to kill all my friends?

It could have been worse. I hear the J&J vaccine turns you into Teddie.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I got the vaccine and now there's a rumor going around that Hitler is back with sunglasses?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I heard that if you and three friends stand in a circle and say "AstraZeneca" ten times, the Vaccine will appear and grant your wishes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
TV static just shows off the RNA sequences of the vaccine you should get.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

TV static just shows off the RNA sequences of the vaccine you should get.
Only at night when it's raining.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Just fought a poorly-foreshadowed eldritch abomination born from humanity's, and I quote, "true desire to get COVID".

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Man, the Collective Unconscious can go haywire over flu season, can't imagine what it'd look like now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Just fought a poorly-foreshadowed eldritch abomination born from humanity's, and I quote, "true desire to get COVID".
This reads like a Persona-themed dril tweet.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

YaketySass posted:

Man, the Collective Unconscious can go haywire over flu season, can't imagine what it'd look like now.

You can no longer use Personas because you'd have to take off your mask.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have been noticing the days have been feeling longer. At first I just wrote it off as a continuation of Covid time dilatation but every time it strikes midnight all the clocks stop working and all these coffins pop up.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If I make Caroline and Justine a Mot that knows Dragon Eye, they said they'll give me a vaccine passport.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hunt11 posted:

I have been noticing the days have been feeling longer. At first I just wrote it off as a continuation of Covid time dilatation but every time it strikes midnight all the clocks stop working and all these coffins pop up.

I want a midnight hour just to get a bit of extra sleep.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

You can no longer use Personas because you'd have to take off your mask.

I can still wear a mask with an evoker!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

CAN CONFIRM: Amrita does NOT work to alleviate severe COVID symptoms.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

BGrifter posted:

I can still wear a mask with an evoker!

Oh, true! Just make sure to change Personas when there's no one around. Be considerate!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

*Yu and the gas station attendant just stand awkwardly six feet away from each other*

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

This reads like a Persona-themed dril tweet.

"Me and a lot of my friends are starting to think that this Covid-19 business is a complete goof. A rat job."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

S.D. posted:

"Me and a lot of my friends are starting to think that this Covid-19 business is a complete goof. A rat job."

for like 8 months i thought covid was one of those joke diseases where you ask "what's covid" and the other guy tells tou to suck his nuts

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

S.D. posted:

"Will You Commit To The CareFree Live Or Die Brand"
Yes sir
"Are U A Sick Enough gently caress To Get Covid On Puropse & Drive The Fans Nuts"
Yes sir

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I Believe not getting enough love in this thread.

Perfect song for the final and most epic level. A melodic callback to Life Will Change and it's really effective having the lyrics be about a final hail mary assault when the lyrics to all the other battle songs are so confident

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Funky Valentine posted:

If I make Caroline and Justine a Mot that knows Dragon Eye, they said they'll give me a vaccine passport.

Vaguely related: I think my first post in this thread had me complaining about name pronunciation but once I heard Caroline and Justine pronounced in the game and they rhymed, I got it. And then I met Jose (with a “J” pronounced like an incredibly white person would) and it became hilarious. It’s revenge for years of bad dubs that butcher Japanese names.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's about halfway to how it'd be pronounced in french.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
boy the teacher confidant track in persona 5 sure is uncomfortable so far

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

boy the teacher confidant track in persona 5 sure is uncomfortable so far

It doesn’t get any better either... :sigh:

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Spiffster posted:

It doesn’t get any better either... :sigh:

Hell yeah it does

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Skrill.exe posted:

Hell yeah it does

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Skrill.exe posted:

Hell yeah it does
More than any other confidant/social link in Persona (and there are several that qualify for this) it's amazing on the surface, but entirely undermined and ruined by romancing her.