Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Infighting is sooooo rare in FPS its insane, especially considering the first big FPS did it, you'd think it'd be standard.

call of duty game where your npc buddies all murder each other over a friendly fire incident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
haha yeah imagine doom but your punches do no damage until you get a thing that makes you good at punching

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I enjoyed eternal more than 2016 because I don't give a poo poo about exploring or lore and doom 2016's monster arenas never quite satisfied me. like the whole game felt like it was building up these big awesome fights where you have all these different monsters and you have your whole suite of weaponry, and then the game ended before I could really get my fill.

eternal has way more and significantly harder monster arenas for you to really go ham in, and once you understand that the chainsaw refills automatically and you're expected to use glory kills/flamethrower/chainsaw to refill hp/armor/ammo respectively, the combat is beautiful. yes, being able to get nearly all your resources back in fights lowers the value of resources you find while exploring, but I don't really care about that. I just want to get into fights

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
https://twitter.com/Its_Mr_Floyd/status/1376789508956491777?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Infighting is sooooo rare in FPS its insane, especially considering the first big FPS did it, you'd think it'd be standard.

Right that's exactly what came to mind while playing them - that infighting is almost never done. Why it stood out so much to me.

skasion posted:

Doom Eternals UI looks like it was designed by the guy who comes up with packaging for new and extreme flavors of mountain dew

I don't like the UI at all but it's one of those things if I liked the game I could just kinda ignored it. Same deal with all the lore bullshit.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

haha yeah imagine doom but your punches do no damage until you get a thing that makes you good at punching

:thunk:

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I feel like such a grognard for not liking the new Dooms. But if you're making a Doom game and you don't have monster in-fighting you hosed up.

I liked 2016 enough to complete it, but I started another playthrough of it like a year later and couldn't convince myself to finish the second level. It's pretty, it was a fun trip to see once, but it doesn't really have the gameplay to stand on its own. Still haven't played Eternal. I watched some developer videos about the new monsters and was so put off by their ideas of how the game should work that I kinda poisoned myself against it. Will probably play it at some point in the future though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Doom Eternal is the best Doom game. Doom 2 is the best platform for mods, wads, and other user created content.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think it's fine if someone likes it but good lord not in a million years.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doom 2016 felt like I was scrambling around trying to improvise and take advantage of every opening I got with the game cheering me on. Doom Eternal felt like scrambling around trying to improvise and take advantage of every opening I got with the game shouting YOU'RE PLAYING IT WRONG

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think it's fine if someone likes it but good lord not in a million years.

I live my life by a single adage: everyone is wrong but me.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Mordja posted:

I live my life by a single adage: everyone is wrong but me.

I'm with you. Eternal is an intense, super fun ultra violent trip once it clicks. I wish they kept the RoboCop, dark satire tone of Doom 2016 in Eternal over the terrible Blizzard style lore dumps that we got, but the gameplay is up there with the best FPSs.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
i've never said this about any other singleplayer game but the people who dump on Doom Eternal do nothing but telegraph how little they care to understand the game's mechanics. the whole point was to balance the options in such a way as to incentivize the player to get good at using various weapons and cooldown abilities based on the situation at hand. why would you want abuse a handful of options that work in every situation like 2016 did and play less of the game as a result?

I can't tell if this line of thinking comes out of not being proficient at the game at all and/or a ton of very strongly-felt preconceived notions about how it should work or what. the platforming sections do suck tho

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Doom Eternal engages my ADHD just right, where there's just enough tasks to chain together that eventually I zone out. It feels good.

I 100% see how that exact same sequence of tasks is exhausting.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bathtub Cheese posted:

i've never said this about any other singleplayer game but the people who dump on Doom Eternal do nothing but telegraph how little they care to understand the game's mechanics. the whole point was to balance the options in such a way as to incentivize the player to get good at using various weapons and cooldown abilities based on the situation at hand. why would you want abuse a handful of options that work in every situation like 2016 did and play less of the game as a result?

I can't tell if this line of thinking comes out of not being proficient at the game at all and/or a ton of very strongly-felt preconceived notions about how it should work or what. the platforming sections do suck tho

i guess it never occurred to you that we may understand what they want us to do just fine, we just don't like it

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

site posted:

i guess it never occurred to you that we may understand what they want us to do just fine, we just don't like it

yeah none of the criticism suggests this at all

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bathtub Cheese posted:

lol

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i didn't care for doom 2016, particularly its approach to level design of largely identical closed monster arenas connected by corridors. i only played about half the game but there wasn't much in the way of memorable spaces and the way parts of the level just lock behind you as you finish them made them feel small. i missed the way classic doom's levels just get bigger and bigger as you unlock the doors until the entire thing becomes a combat arena if you want it to

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

haveblue posted:

Doom 2016 felt like I was scrambling around trying to improvise and take advantage of every opening I got with the game cheering me on. Doom Eternal felt like scrambling around trying to improvise and take advantage of every opening I got with the game shouting YOU'RE PLAYING IT WRONG
you just need to use the chainsaw occasionally

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

site posted:

Yeah, the game clicked fine, I completed the game with no friction, I understand how it works, I actively did not find the tasks set before me to be fun and they got progressively less fun for me as the game went on

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Huh, odd. I'll shake some trees and see what falls out.

Cheers!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bathtub Cheese posted:

yeah none of the criticism suggests this at all

somehow, this being beyond you does not seem surprising given the tone of your previous post

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

site posted:

somehow, this being beyond you does not seem surprising given the tone of your previous post

yeah i just didn't like the specific complaints about the game being made and decided to share that view, so nyah

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Eternal has a worse vanilla punch than Doom 1/2's vanilla fists and that's a hell of a feat.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Dieting Hippo posted:

Eternal has a worse vanilla punch than Doom 1/2's vanilla fists and that's a hell of a feat.

Yeah, but you can also tear a Archville's head off with your bare hands while it looks at you with an expression that perfectly telegraphs that it knew it hosed up.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Doom2 makes you feel cool and clever by outsmarting & outmaneuvering demons, corralling them like sheep, and using them against each other. nuDooms make you feel like a badass by tossing you into a clusterfuck arena to perform a bunch of ultraviolent bravado, tedious weapon & cooldown juggling, and straight-faced Doom comic quote cringe.

Doom Eternal had pretty fun combat on the surface that quickly revealed itself to have almost no depth, with everything else in the game being pretty loving bad from the jump. To be fair, I guess it does what most modern big budget games do best, being an expensive game wearing the grotesque severed face of "thing you like" that comes with a bunch of worthless junk tat--that may or may not be actually toxic--if you pay twice as much.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

doom eternal is loving great altho i would put it in a completely different genre thats just it and ultrakill

Bathtub Cheese posted:

i blame the tutorials. the game really needed a big button that you press if youve played 2016 that pulls up a screen telling you to use the chainsaw more and not sweat the enemy weak points that much. the main complaint i see is that people think the game expects them to just do a specific counter for each demon and thats just flat out not true at all

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 1, 2021

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

The Vile Stuff posted:

I'm with you. Eternal is an intense, super fun ultra violent trip once it clicks. I wish they kept the RoboCop, dark satire tone of Doom 2016 in Eternal over the terrible Blizzard style lore dumps that we got, but the gameplay is up there with the best FPSs.

The biggest thing keeping me away from Eternal is the lore stuff, calling it Blizzardesque totally summarizes the vibe I get from it. I really liked Doom 16 though.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i cant imagine in a million years giving a poo poo about The Doom Lore. in eternal you can skip all the cutscenes so the story is better

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Farm Frenzy posted:

i cant imagine in a million years giving a poo poo about The Doom Lore

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

What is the mechanical nuance of goo that makes you walk slow?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im sorry, you can not like Doom Eternals combat all you want, but saying it has "no depth" is so wrong that even saying it undermines your credibility. If anything the chief complaint about the game is that the combat is overly complicated and demanding, which I also disagree with but at least thats a defensible position.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Farm Frenzy posted:

i blame the tutorials. the game really needed a big button that you press if youve played 2016 that pulls up a screen telling you to use the chainsaw more
I put it as my avatar right before release and no one listened!

One of Eternal's biggest problems to me is how upgrades and abilities go, actually. You should just have all your abilities and half of your weapons at the start, and it should build the levels to teach you. Instead you're constantly getting new abilities and relearning the loop over and over. I found replaying from the start just awful when I went back to it, the finished loop is excellent but the game holds your hand in the wrong way. It feels more like it's holding you down.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Crowetron posted:

it forces you briefly to do glory kills to move around and avoid damage. a nd also its deliberately stupid and annoying on purpose just like in from software's classic Dark Souls

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The goo is used for a fun mini-puzzle encounter in the DLC 2

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Weedle posted:

call of duty game where your npc buddies all murder each other over a friendly fire incident

I see you've played swat 4 co-op

Crowetron posted:

Remembering fondly when you weren't in the goo

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Flannelette posted:

I see you've played swat 4 co-op

you’re goddamn right i have. that loving nightclub

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Barudak posted:

The goo is used for a fun mini-puzzle encounter in the DLC 2

yeah I like it way more in the DLCs where its used in puzzles and really sadistic challenge rooms. i think u can def tell that it took ID a while to figure out these mechanics themselves

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

i cant imagine in a million years giving a poo poo about The Doom Lore. in eternal you can skip all the cutscenes so the story is better

The problem was that 2016 actually did a really good job in the story department and got people pretty hyped up to see more of it, and then Eternal took a massive step backwards while not even having the decency to keep the story stuff far in the background like the old games so that you could easily ignore it. It made the bad story crap front and center, if it had been confined to a single text screen at the end of each act I don't think anyone would have been bothered by how lovely it was.

Bathtub Cheese posted:

The gameplay in 2016 was fantastic specifically because it let you deal with situations with whatever tools you felt were best for that situation, rather than what the game pushed you into using. Eternal prescribed each tool for each situation (complete with a totally pace-killing tutorial pop up for just about every single demon) and the game is a painful slog if you ignore those tools; there's a handful of alternate strategies that work, but often times those require exploiting some game mechanics like quick switching, rather than simply using the weapon you'd like to use and finding a way to make it effective. Yes I understand how the mechanics work and you're being unreasonable by saying "the only reason you could possibly dislike this game is if you are too stupid to understand it". What exactly would make you accept criticism as valid? Do I have to beat the entire game on Ultra-nightmare before I'm allowed to dislike it?

Though I will say both the dash and the meathook were good ideas. Everything else, from the weird forced parry system to the forced microwave beam mod ranged from annoying to terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

you can literally just use the ballista and ssg for the entire game and do perfectly fine. everything dies incredibly quickly if you shoot it a few times. outside of the marauders and the spirits in old gods the game never makes you do one specific thing to kill an enemy ever

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 1, 2021