Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

They already confirmed he was fired after I was offered the position. It was through a recruiter as well so this is all documented on my end in a couple different ways. Don't know if it'll fall under promissory estoppel or even if my state recognizes that, or what the jurisdiction would even be since it's an out of state employer. Glad I didn't sign a lease yet that's all I'm saying. I guess for content, make sure there's a clause in your offer that you'll be reimbursed x amount if they rescind it for reasons other than the basic contingencies like a drug test and BG check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Parallelwoody posted:

make sure there's a clause in your offer that you'll be reimbursed x amount if they rescind it for reasons other than the basic contingencies like a drug test and BG check.

I'm guessing only the most desperate and small employers would agree to such a request for a clause.... at most companies I assume the overall language of the offer letter is fairly set in stone by HR, with only certain numerical details open to change (compensation, PTO, etc)

I also resent the premise that there is nothing in this thread for pros to learn from. I'm mid-career ish and have learned a lot from the thread.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Same. I always learn something from this thread, even when I'm not actively looking or negotiating.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you have a signed copy of the letter, then I'm pretty sure that the only argument the company could make (disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice) that would hold any water was that the letter was signed after the guy had been fired, in which case he wouldn't be acting as a representative of the company any more. So if you do run into issues, find out exactly when the guy got canned before you tell them about the letter.

In most jurisdictions even written/signed offers aren't legally binding so it's not like there would be any legal obligations or liability for rescinding it or renegotiating it now. It's just a horrendous violation of universal norms of hiring. You don't gently caress someone over like that.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The premise is that this thread is geared more towards beginners and the negotiation guidelines laid out in the OP are assuming you are not experienced with negotiating vs the person on the other side of the table who does it every day. But I mean if that's your large take away from my last few posts as well then I don't know what to tell you as I'm kind of focused on other things than the specific wording of trivial poo poo at the moment and more so on is it "likely I'll have a job next week" and "is there any way to navigate this situation someone more experienced than me can advise." Apologies if you disagree with the one nugget of wisdom I'm trying to pick from this garbage pile.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 30, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Parallelwoody posted:

I'm kind of focused on other things than the specific wording of trivial poo poo at the moment and more so on is it "likely I'll have a job next week" and "is there any way to navigate this situation someone more experienced than me can advise."

If they're going to try to cut the offered salary then no, there's really nothing for you to do but tell them to pound sand. Send the guy a copy of the signed offer letter with an attached note that says "Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you, I look forward to starting on [start date in letter]."

There's still room to hope they're really that disorganized (though even that suggests a level of total corporate dysfunction that you should be wary of as you start the job) and they just genuinely lost everything. If worst comes to worst then you have to view it as a gigantic dodged bullet because a company so unethical they would try to cut the salary on, or pull, a written offer would be hell to work for.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Everything for my hire was going through the VP of the department directly who was hired as an interim consultant, and apparently he didn't share any of that info with the rest of the staff other than to expect to hear from me for on-boarding. They are now going through the first round of interviews for the person who would be in the role above mine, and the exact scope of my job was never really nailed down as it was looking at long term projects revamping how the HR department runs in general (which...yeah). I'll happily tell them to gently caress off if they try to lower anything already agreed on, hopefully I'll still qualify for unemployment in a worst case scenario. I have a call scheduled tomorrow with the CEO to discuss the specifics and expectations of the role and if he's going to cut bait that seems like the time to do it I suppose.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Another possibility is they'll want you to wait until they fill the role above you and then start over and interview again with that person.

Or if you prefer to be optimistic, maybe they want you to interview for that role.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Inner Light posted:

I also resent the premise that there is nothing in this thread for pros to learn from. I'm mid-career ish and have learned a lot from the thread.

I mostly lurk but yes this thread is very useful mid career.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I'm mid career negotiating for quite a bit more and find this thread a valuable resource.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Or if you prefer to be optimistic, maybe they want you to interview for that role.
If they pull this make sure to ask for more money, lol.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

silvergoose posted:

That is a *horrible* situation, jesus. You have, more or less, zero leverage and they know it.

I'd recommend making sure you have an employment lawyer at least ready to call, because that sounds sketchy as *gently caress*.

It sucks, but offer letters are generally nonbinding. I'm not sure what an employment lawyer would do in this case.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I suppose so. Still really sketchy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

silvergoose posted:

I suppose so. Still really sketchy.

oh it's absolutely lovely but not the same thing as illegal

plus I suppose there is a chance that the dude was term'd for something that was actually really a professional standards/ethics violation in which case you would give a kind of vague weird answer about the offer because who knows what the dude was up to and you gotta do due diligence. this is unlikely but possible.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Parallelwoody posted:

The premise is that this thread is geared more towards beginners and the negotiation guidelines laid out in the OP are assuming you are not experienced with negotiating vs the person on the other side of the table who does it every day. But I mean if that's your large take away from my last few posts as well then I don't know what to tell you as I'm kind of focused on other things than the specific wording of trivial poo poo at the moment and more so on is it "likely I'll have a job next week" and "is there any way to navigate this situation someone more experienced than me can advise." Apologies if you disagree with the one nugget of wisdom I'm trying to pick from this garbage pile.
Sorry you're in this situation. That sucks. Even if you get the position at the agreed salary, I'd still be looking for another job immediately. Having the guy who "hired" you get axed means you don't have anyone above you who explicitly wants you there. Meaning you're first against the wall if lay-offs or cuts happen.

Also, I think categorizing things into "beginner" and "not beginner" is kinda unhelpful. Negotiating is a skill like any other, and it is prone to both Dunning-Kruger and Halo biases. Also, you can be ridiculously good at negotiating (top 1%) and still find yourself constantly negotiating with other 1%'ers or 0.1%'ers due to the specialization of labor and skills that occurs at a large company. At my former company, essentially all job offers were approved by one guy, who handled over 100 per year.

I don't know anything about you other than what you've posted here, so this is meant more as a general comment than anything specific to you or your situation.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I'll reiterate what I said on the last page and explicitly disagree with Eric for once: What Parallelwoody does from here is entirely dependent on their financial circumstances and prospects for other jobs.

If you can't afford to be out a job and someone pulls this poo poo on you, then you take the job and you look for your next one.
If you have been searching for months and this your only bite, then you take the job and you look for your next one.
If this was the best offer out of multiple then yeah, NewJob needs to honor the offer letter or gently caress themselves with a chainsaw.

FWIW CEO being involved on a situation like this might not be because they're trying to gently caress you over but because poo poo has gone sufficiently awry by accident that the CEO wants to make sure nothing fucky happens from here out.

This situation totally sucks and I'm sorry you're in it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I do think it's premature to assume bad faith on their part. So far everything I've said is predicated on IF they renege, etc.

Pragmatically it is probably best, if a company lowers an offer after you've accepted it but you're unemployed or about to be and it's all you've got, to take it and go forward seeking your chance to jump.

For me personally I would rather live under a bridge than ever allow anyone to dishonestly gently caress me over. But I acknowledge that policy isn't necessarily in my practical best interests all the time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I do think it's premature to assume bad faith on their part.

yeah I think this is really important. you should be prepared in case it's in bad faith because then you have a plan and won't get blindsided, but don't let that process make you assume that they are acting in bad faith.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

That's the direction I've been preparing for as the fired guy did report directly to the CEO, but yeah I'm mentally ready to walk if they try to renege on anything we have agreed to. Not trying to work for an employer like that and I'll be fine picking up more contracting work. I do appreciate the advice.

For the positive, I did negotiate an extra 8k in salary which was over a 10% increase, so at least I got a psychological victory even if everything else goes tits up.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 31, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Parallelwoody posted:

That's the direction I've been preparing for as the fired guy did report directly to the CEO, but yeah I'm mentally ready to walk if they try to renege on anything we have agreed to. Not trying to work for an employer like that and I'll be fine picking up more contracting work. I do appreciate the advice.

For the positive, I did negotiate an extra 8k in salary which was over a 10% increase, so at least I got a psychological victory even if everything else goes tits up.

When are you chatting with the CEO? Somehow I have become deeply invested in how this story ends :allears:

I realize it's super stressful for you, but it's just so unusual that the mystery of it all has captivated me.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Zarin posted:

When are you chatting with the CEO? Somehow I have become deeply invested in how this story ends :allears:

I realize it's super stressful for you, but it's just so unusual that the mystery of it all has captivated me.
:same:
Mostly just lurking through this whole thing without anything to add, but I’m very curious to hear the details of this meeting. Goon speed, Parallelwoody.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It sucks, but offer letters are generally nonbinding. I'm not sure what an employment lawyer would do in this case.

This really stood out to me. That really sucks. I remember being super nervous about this for my first adult job and talking to my union about it, and they assured me that offer letters are binding over here in Denmark. It just makes a lot of sense from the perspective of a flexible labour market too, since it lets people change jobs without worrying about poo poo like this.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

BonHair posted:

This really stood out to me. That really sucks. I remember being super nervous about this for my first adult job and talking to my union about it, and they assured me that offer letters are binding over here in Denmark. It just makes a lot of sense from the perspective of a flexible labour market too, since it lets people change jobs without worrying about poo poo like this.

That struck me, too; in one of my college classes the head of the Career Center gave some presentations and he made it sound like the offer letters were pretty legally binding, and you could be open to recovering damages if you made life changes based on a signed offer letter and then they walked back after the fact.

It's very disappointing to find now that this isn't the case. Which is interesting, because when I signed the last letter (well, e-signed) there was a big disclaimer that said something like "BY CLICKING THIS BUTTON THIS BECOMES A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT, DO YOU ACCEPT?"

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
In Right To Work states, it doesn't matter if you have a signed letter or not. The company can let you go whenever they want for no reason at all.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

*At-Will Employment

At-will is a two way street: you're allowed to leave anytime you want for any reason you want, they're allowed to fire you anytime they want for any reason they want (except discrimination against protected classes).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
fwiw, an offer letter could be legally binding but it's almost certainly not if it's properly drafted. I just started reading this thread recently and now I'm hooked on the saga. Please let us know how it ends.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Eric the Mauve posted:

*At-Will Employment
Yes thank you. At-Will was the phrase I was intending. Right-To-Work is something else.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Spoke with him earlier, he shot down the signing bonus which wasn't in the offer letter but was advertised with the position (with an out to possibly add it in for some reason, I guess if I raise a big enough stink), and I'll "get clarification" (we know this is going to be a no) on whether the PTO in the offer is separate from holidays. Otherwise the offer still stands as written. I did what felt like a mini interview that I purposely kept brief as I'm not going to interview for a position I was already offered regardless of the circumstances. So looks like ball is in my court if I want to move forward with the relocation. I hammered home that the expectations are this is going to be a 40 hour work week and if it goes over I'm allowed to manage my time as I see fit, and that a work life balance is my top priority, so we will see what it's like in practice. Who knows what the new boss will expect though. Thanks for the advice everyone, sorry I couldn't provide a more dramatic resolution like "and then I burned their house down and yelled 'WHAT'S YOUR BATNA NOW, BITCH?'"

Chiasmus
May 17, 2008

Parallelwoody posted:

Spoke with him earlier, he shot down the signing bonus which wasn't in the offer letter but was advertised with the position (with an out to possibly add it in for some reason, I guess if I raise a big enough stink), and I'll "get clarification" (we know this is going to be a no) on whether the PTO in the offer is separate from holidays. Otherwise the offer still stands as written. I did what felt like a mini interview that I purposely kept brief as I'm not going to interview for a position I was already offered regardless of the circumstances. So looks like ball is in my court if I want to move forward with the relocation. I hammered home that the expectations are this is going to be a 40 hour work week and if it goes over I'm allowed to manage my time as I see fit, and that a work life balance is my top priority, so we will see what it's like in practice. Who knows what the new boss will expect though. Thanks for the advice everyone, sorry I couldn't provide a more dramatic resolution like "and then I burned their house down and yelled 'WHAT'S YOUR BATNA NOW, BITCH?'"

For what it's worth you handled it like a professional and you at least have a personal relationship with the CEO of the new company (for better or worse!)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Good ending!

It sounds like they honestly hosed up with the temp and tried to damage control as quickly as possible when they realized. Bad situation, especially for you, but it sounds like they owed up to it in the end.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Parallelwoody posted:

"and then I burned their house down and yelled 'WHAT'S YOUR BATNA NOW, BITCH?'"

This is canon in my head now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Business, Finance, and Careers > The Negotiation Thread: and then I burned their house down and yelled 'WHAT'S YOUR BATNA NOW, BITCH?'

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Parallelwoody posted:

drat, too bad the signing bonus wasn't in the offer letter. I guess that's good info for me to consider in the future, I guess! Are they covering relo?

Also, I'm not sure I've ever heard of PTO being rolled in with holidays . . . I'm not sure how much you were offered, but that seems like a weird thing to need clarification on.

You definitely delivered with that last sentence though, thank you kind goon!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Business, Finance, and Careers > The Negotiation Thread: and then I burned their house down and yelled 'WHAT'S YOUR BATNA NOW, BITCH?'

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Eric the Mauve posted:

Please

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

mods do the needful

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

As an epilogue, I called the guy they fired to try to get some perspective as the story I got about why they separated didn't seem near the truth. He apparently turned down an extension and the CEO got pissed then told him not to come back. I guess the "failing expectations" was the expectation he'd keep working for them longer than they originally agreed. He did reiterate it was a great opportunity to build my resume if I can accomplish some of the things we outlined in the interview and sell it correctly, and also offered to give me advice and provide some mentorship if I wanted, which I was very thankful for the offer. Lol he also added "all of those things they asked you for are sitting in a file clearly labeled for them, but I guess they are too busy being mad at me to look."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Parallelwoody posted:

As an epilogue, I called the guy they fired to try to get some perspective as the story I got about why they separated didn't seem near the truth. He apparently turned down an extension and the CEO got pissed then told him not to come back. I guess the "failing expectations" was the expectation he'd keep working for them longer than they originally agreed. He did reiterate it was a great opportunity to build my resume if I can accomplish some of the things we outlined in the interview and sell it correctly, and also offered to give me advice and provide some mentorship if I wanted, which I was very thankful for the offer. Lol he also added "all of those things they asked you for are sitting in a file clearly labeled for them, but I guess they are too busy being mad at me to look."

:suspense:

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
Oh hey, so that digital agency that was offering me $130k, I countered at $160k, and then strung me along for two weeks and gave me a decline afterwards?

Their VP just called me back and offered me $154k. Extremely tempted to take this, but a bit worried about two things:

* These guys literally wrote the book about what I do in my field. Serious, impending impostor syndrome doom on this one, I am literally 100% self taught and have zero (active) certifications (only expired ones from years ago)

* I'm... kinda lazy and worried about going back to the world where I literally keep track of every hour that I'm working

How do you weigh this kinda stuff?

On the plus side, validation achieved!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

I had to shorten it a little because it's too long. Radium is why we can't have nice things I guess. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

stellers bae posted:

Oh hey, so that digital agency that was offering me $130k, I countered at $160k, and then strung me along for two weeks and gave me a decline afterwards?

Their VP just called me back and offered me $154k. Extremely tempted to take this, but a bit worried about two things:

* These guys literally wrote the book about what I do in my field. Serious, impending impostor syndrome doom on this one, I am literally 100% self taught and have zero (active) certifications (only expired ones from years ago)

* I'm... kinda lazy and worried about going back to the world where I literally keep track of every hour that I'm working

How do you weigh this kinda stuff?

On the plus side, validation achieved!

Shove that imposter syndrome feeling deep to the back and realize that we’re all faking it, even the people who know their poo poo. Remember - they want you. That’s the validation your imposter syndrome needs.

(I think if you’re susceptible to imposter syndrome you’ll always have it no matter what you accomplish, so you have to learn to deal with it.)

Money is money, also this is possibly / probably a good growth opportunity for you. Worst case scenario you don’t like it and you look for something new with the added cred & additional salary in your back pocket.

e: and just adding that I love this new title