Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Just so I don’t waste the hassle: can I get back to the Inactive Lava Zone through the lava castle portal in a PRAWN?

Something tells me it won’t fit through the cave system in between...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
The prawnsuit can navigate those, yes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Pretty sure the prawn suit can go anywhere except for inside wrecks and the Aurora. There's also a couple places where maybe there's a ceiling that's too low that the prawnsuit gets wedged, but you can just grapple arm your way out.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Speaking as someone who once did an entire playthrough as an extreme germophobe/agoraphobe/ocean-hating Ryley, spawning a radiation suit in my pod immediately and never removing it while outside of my bases...and spawning the blueprint for the PRAWN immediately as well, making building one his first priority, then refusing to set foot outside his base from then on without being in one? Yes, you can absolutely get anywhere in the game in your PRAWN, aside from a handful of tight caves at the surface, whether you might be ascending or descending. Even without a grappling arm, don't underestimate just how high the PRAWN can jump-jet, even without the upgrade.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It occurs to me that you could essentially spent most of the game on a diet of fish'n'chips and melon juice.

I mean, you're bound to be missing some amino acids from that, but mmmmmmmmm :yum:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

WarpedNaba posted:

It occurs to me that you could essentially spent most of the game on a diet of fish'n'chips and melon juice.

I mean, you're bound to be missing some amino acids from that, but mmmmmmmmm :yum:

Hell you could do that in real life

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

By endgame my entire diet consists of marblemelons grown in the Cyclops and it’s a miracle my survivor has enough musclemass to swing that knife.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
I'm waiting to play BZ until it's 1.0. Should I even bother with survival food/drink or not?

I played Subnautica three times now, once with and twice without. As others mentioned, once you automate it, it gets old having to remember and manage that resource. If there's nothing new to it in BZ I'll probably skip it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My problem with survival meters is that in my experience they create some interesting pressure early on but are just an annoying hassle once that is no longer interesting once you find a way to grow or breed or otherwise produce food infinitely. I wish games had a way to just turn it off after a point.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Geodude posted:

I'm waiting to play BZ until it's 1.0. Should I even bother with survival food/drink or not?

I played Subnautica three times now, once with and twice without. As others mentioned, once you automate it, it gets old having to remember and manage that resource. If there's nothing new to it in BZ I'll probably skip it.

There's a plant and planters you can get 5 minutes into the game that produces like 10 fruits per harvest that each give like 10 food/water and some health, 4 plants per planter means you have infinite food/water/health with no power cost.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

BattleMaster posted:

My problem with survival meters is that in my experience they create some interesting pressure early on but are just an annoying hassle once that is no longer interesting once you find a way to grow or breed or otherwise produce food infinitely. I wish games had a way to just turn it off after a point.

This game has a way to do that. You can open up the save data in notepad and change it from gamemode=0 to gamemode=1

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BattleMaster posted:

Completely agreed about basically every game that has a hunger/thirst mechanic. It generally drains a lot faster than it should anyways, and unless the game is a full out hardcore wilderness survival type thing it's almost always just a nuisance after you get through the early game.

When you have the ability to reform raw components in to a base or a ship with a magical gun and block the radiation of an open reactor with a wetsuit the idea that forgetting to toss a few water bottles in your backpack will be a life or death matter it about a half hour is absurd.

Phssthpok posted:

This game has a way to do that. You can open up the save data in notepad and change it from gamemode=0 to gamemode=1
You can edit the save file in almost any game, that's not the point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It basically becomes the main limiter to your longer exploration journeys or spelunking and adds tension. Especially if you're obsessive about collecting enough of whatever resource you need to not come back and want to keep inventory space open.

If you're willing to keep your inventory clogged up and deal with possibly not having a surplus for the blueprints you don't know yet, there's probably no reason to ever build a second base or to bring the Cyclops along. There's just a lot of psychological needs and wanting to build a buffer for the next part of the game that drives the battle between survival supplies and inventory space.

And when you know how the later part of the game goes or how you don't need all that much of this one new resource or that a couple minerals will be entirely pointless to stockpile because you're not going to ever use them, you can optimize much more easily.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Ok I just started this and I want to repair all this poo poo ASAP but I can't find sulphur anywhere. I'm looking about caves and I got a message saying there was some nearby but I can't see it anywhere. Getting kinda bored, I want to get cracking building cool subs and bases rather than swimming about around this bloody escape pod.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Don't worry, you'll crash into some soon. You can find it left being in the 'flowers' that the suicide fish come from

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Ive found a bunch of stuff already in BZ less than 4 hours in, but the build tool is nowhere to be found. I presume its at the docking base I got a marker for.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

DreadUnknown posted:

Ive found a bunch of stuff already in BZ less than 4 hours in, but the build tool is nowhere to be found. I presume its at the docking base I got a marker for.

There may be one there but i always got it

in twisty bridges
Be sure and scan the window while there

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Ohhhhh ok, I kept gettin chased off by the angry lads, Ill look again.
I did get the most important things in the game, Potato is super rad.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
It’s at one of the abandoned above water bases. Outdoors next to a habitat entrance on a crate. It’s a white tool on a white crate, really dumb and easy to miss for how critical it is.

I think the base with it is uphill from the dock with the waypoint, but I got the location from one of the wiki pages so you may want to confirm that way.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ThomasPaine posted:

Ok I just started this and I want to repair all this poo poo ASAP but I can't find sulphur anywhere. I'm looking about caves and I got a message saying there was some nearby but I can't see it anywhere. Getting kinda bored, I want to get cracking building cool subs and bases rather than swimming about around this bloody escape pod.

In the first game, sulfur is where those fishes are that chase you and explode. Look inside their nest hidey holes. In the second game, its all over the central island base.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I did finally get to the one base and found the building tool, almost ran into a squidshark also.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Couldn't resist booting up Subnautica (now that it's free on PS4) again.

Where should I be looking for a mobile vehicle bay fragment and the multipurpose room in relation to the lifepod? Been awhile for me.

Been making few microbases (tube, solar panel, hatch) so I can linger around at ~80-100m in some areas. Not quite as necessary now that I have the Seaglide, but handy and relatively inexpensive.

Is the emergency air bladder thing just useless in the first game? I don't think I ever used it in my original PC playthrough a year ago, but in BZ it's like a rocketship to the surface. In PS4 Subnautica it seems to do hardly anything.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Couldn't resist booting up Subnautica (now that it's free on PS4) again.

Where should I be looking for a mobile vehicle bay fragment and the multipurpose room in relation to the lifepod? Been awhile for me.

Been making few microbases (tube, solar panel, hatch) so I can linger around at ~80-100m in some areas. Not quite as necessary now that I have the Seaglide, but handy and relatively inexpensive.

Is the emergency air bladder thing just useless in the first game? I don't think I ever used it in my original PC playthrough a year ago, but in BZ it's like a rocketship to the surface. In PS4 Subnautica it seems to do hardly anything.

Vehicle bay fragments should be in random places in the shallows.
Also check first grouped pieces.
MP room is gotten after you get the messages to go somewhere.

I have never heard anyone mention the phrase ' that air bladder sure is useful'.

If I recall though, the PS4 version may not have all the features and is lagging behind the PC version.
So things may be different on locations and such.
I could be wrong though.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Not sure about the multipurpose room but mobile vehicle bay fragments can be found in boxes at the bottom of the kelp forest closest to the drop pod.

quote:

Yeah, basically useless. It doesn't seem to get you to the surface much faster than just swimming with flippers on, maybe it could save you in a few fringe scenarios.

Been trying to replay this in VR recently and the implementation isn't completely terrible if you use look cursor and a controller, KB+M either doesn't work or just isn't cooperating with me for whatever reason. Played enough that I have the habitat builder and made my first base with a radio and fabricator, getting a Seamoth is next. Biggest issue so far has been the Seaglide, the way it's positioned makes it feel like you're holding it directly in front of your face while moving around and can make it hard to see what you're doing. Not sure how it's going to handle being in a Seamoth but as long as it's at least somewhat functional I don't mind too much. The game is already janky enough playing it normally, I'm surprised they got the VR working at all.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Not sure about the multipurpose room but mobile vehicle bay fragments can be found in boxes at the bottom of the kelp forest closest to the drop pod.

Yeah, basically useless. It doesn't seem to get you to the surface much faster than just swimming with flippers on, maybe it could save you in a few fringe scenarios.

Been trying to replay this in VR recently and the implementation isn't completely terrible if you use look cursor and a controller, KB+M either doesn't work or just isn't cooperating with me for whatever reason. Played enough that I have the habitat builder and made my first base with a radio and fabricator, getting a Seamoth is next. Biggest issue so far has been the Seaglide, the way it's positioned makes it feel like you're holding it directly in front of your face while moving around and can make it hard to see what you're doing. Not sure how it's going to handle being in a Seamoth but as long as it's at least somewhat functional I don't mind too much. The game is already janky enough playing it normally, I'm surprised they got the VR working at all.
Air bladder is cool because you can rocket out of the water so hard you bounce off an invisible ceiling :buddy: (unless they nerfed the acceleration on it when I wasn't looking?) Seagliding your way up is way more practical, but air bladder is automatic for if you just can't be bothered.

Which now that I think about it, I guess "These Seaglide VR controls are poo poo" is one reason to dust off the air bladder before you have a submarine.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The VR needs a a mod for on+m; just google subnautica kbm VR fix. I played it that way around 3 months ago and it worked just fine. It makes an immense difference. I think the mod is callled be enhancements.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Multipurpose room is found on one of the abandoned island bases. Scan the room and you've got it, no fragments.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
Just finished the first game, really enjoyed it overall but agree with some of the recent sentiments I've seen about how the very first survival aspect is the most exciting part.

Considering looking at mods now to add some interest, anyone have a choice selection for either this or Below Zero? I've not started Below Zero yet but I'm predicting more of the same, perhaps with a little less of the 'oh god, water is bad' because I'm familiar with the formula now.

Anything goes for mods which don't make things specifically easier I guess. No need for additional health on vehicles etc, or inventory space, but QOL stuff would be cool and more base parts also - especially if the mod lets you discover them organically.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The air bladder was useful a long time ago in pre release when the seaglide literally used 1% of its battery per second.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GD_American posted:

Multipurpose room is found on one of the abandoned island bases. Scan the room and you've got it, no fragments.

In general the game expects you to be pointing your scanner at everything, it's real easy to miss a couple of things on the island bases in particular.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
The floating island and the Aurora are treasure troves of sweet blueprint action, and a new loud friend to give you face hugs.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
LOL, so I have been playing this run on the assumption I already had the standard O2 tank made and equipped. Guess what...

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Oh, oh noooo.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

DreadUnknown posted:

Oh, oh noooo.

It made for some fun challenges - I was able to just barely nab something (I think the rebreather?) freediving on the base 45s of oxygen, IIRC using the Seamoth as a base 200m down.

I was going to say I'm enjoying a lack of buginess in the PS4 version but nope, looks like it saved none of my progress from yesterday afternoon, so gotta find those moonpool fragments all over again. :sigh:

Minor early game tip for anyone new: you can "up-cycle" a pair of dead batteries + one silicone rubber into a fully charged power cell. Feels like something they should have patched out but eh, I'll take it.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I just started this a week or two ago on account of it being free on PSN and thinking I'd try it, but this game has got me hooked (no pun intended because there is no fishing rod in the game). It's a lot of fun and I feel like it's more exploration and fun and the amount of busywork for food and water is minimal.

Is there any point to having the Seaglide after you get the Seamoth? I now exlusively use the latter. The glide is also very bulky in my inventory.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
In the early game there are areas you'll want to explore that are too deep for the Seamoth to handle - the 'glide will be convenient there, park the seamoth at the edge of its crush zone and dive deeper with the seaglide and a rebreather.

But no, you don't really end up needing it often. I'd stash it in your base in case you manage to get killed and leave your Seamoth in the rear end end of nowhere, make the trip back to it more pleasant.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Sioux posted:

I just started this a week or two ago on account of it being free on PSN and thinking I'd try it, but this game has got me hooked (no pun intended because there is no fishing rod in the game). It's a lot of fun and I feel like it's more exploration and fun and the amount of busywork for food and water is minimal.

I'm in the same boat (ha). I really enjoy snorkeling, and this game has really scratched that itch for me. It also does a great job of replicating the terror of having an enormous animal swim up on you, because you have an extremely limited field of vision.

I've found the blueprints to build the Moth, but I haven't been able to gather all the bits to build the vehicle bay yet. In the meantime, I've been doing my best to follow the distress beacons that pop up, and locate the various wrecked pods.

Had a moment while swimming near the alien structure that shoots down the rescue ship, when I looked down into the depths, and I could juuuust make out a Reaper swimming around. Those things scare the crap out of me, and I can't wait to start picking them off.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...

Sioux posted:

Is there any point to having the Seaglide after you get the Seamoth? I now exlusively use the latter. The glide is also very bulky in my inventory.

You'll find it way easier to recharge your glide than your moth at the start

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I had huge issues getting a controller to behave in this game. I was automatically sinking to the ocean floor randomly.

In VR. Why doesn't this game support touch controllers or even a normal controller. You can't assign quick slots on a controller, can't you?

Preposterous that they claim VR or Controller Support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Had a moment while swimming near the alien structure that shoots down the rescue ship, when I looked down into the depths, and I could juuuust make out a Reaper swimming around. Those things scare the crap out of me, and I can't wait to start picking them off.

I can't wait for you to meet some of the new friends in Below Zero, they're delightful.