Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Europa Unversalis 4, Victoria II, Deus Ex, Fallout New Vegas, Umineko no Naku Koro Ni, Hitman 2, Sims 3, Stardew. That's the Steam list

Other than that.

Ps1 Crash Bandicoot 2,3 Spyro just one, Metal Gear Solid, Battle Hunters

PS2 SMT3, Shadow Heart 2, San Andreas, Ace Combat Zero, MSG: Gundam Vs. Zeta Gundam, Jak II and III and the Ratchet and Clank games, Bully

PS3 Dark Souls 2, MGS4, Red Dead and the Saboteur are the only games with more than 100 hours

PS4 BloodBorne, Sekiro, and Red Dead II are the only games with more than 100 hours. Spiderman is close

GameCube Custom Robo, WindWaker

GBC Pokemon Blue, Oracle of Ages and Seasons

GBA Emerald, Fire red,

(3)DS Rune Factory 4, Black and White 2, Etrian Odyssey IV,

N64 Mischief Makers, Pokemon Stadium, Majora's Mask

Genesis Gunstar Heroes

Non Steam PC games Emperor and other Impressions city builders, Roller coaster Tycoon 2, Age of Empires III, Imperialism, Doom, Fallout 1,

There's some I'm forgetting but that should give you an idea
Deus Ex, Rollercoaster Tycoon, and New Vegas blow the other games out of the water each easily has a thousand hours in it. Some of the early pokemon games do to probably but counting games I played as a kid is cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Meme Poker Party posted:

Star Traders: Frontiers: Spaceship adventures!

This game is so good and the Trese Brothers are so active and transparent that I backed their next game Cyber Knights on kickstarter. It is the first and probably the only time I will fork over money for a product that doesn't exist.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

QuarkJets posted:

I'm going to make a guess: you finished "watching" one of Bioware's extremely well-made and not at all ridiculous romance scenes, which definitely do not look like someone is slapping a barbie and a ken doll together, and then you fell asleep afterward

You've found me out

This is what gets me going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCCdoARyHvs

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Invisible Inc is my favorite tactics game of all time, another indie game. I'd gladly play another 40 hours of that than a single additional hour of the modern XComs

I played this after Austin Walker hyped it so much, and man I really disliked it a lot, It somehow feels plodding and like it's rushing me at once.

Meme Poker Party posted:

Some good indie games I've played over the years, wherein I define indie as "small studio at most".

Age of Decadence: old school style RPG.

Long Live the Queen: anime princess simulator
Been meaning to try Decadence It seems cool

LLtQ was pretty good, but it's pretty bereft of content after a minute

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm playing Parkitect right now for the first time and I'm curious what made you quit and go back to RCT2 because after playing through about six of the scenarios it seems like a modern RCT2 in every single way, to the point that I'm surprised it's not legally actionable.
Probably the same reason I don't play the remakes of Crash and Spryo, they feel wrong. I've been playing RC2 for decades, I ain't stopping now

Vic posted:

Ori and the blind forest, This War of Mine, Torchlight 2, Beat Cop, Baba is You, Jazzpunk, Heat Signature, Where The Water Tastes Like Wine, Kenshi, Satisfactory, Soma, Gunpoint, Papers Please...

You just don't play indie games is your problem.
Ori looks ugly, Torchlight 2 is a genre I despise, Baba is fun, Soma is horror game which makes it less then F tier, Gunpoint had promis, but It just wasn't all that fun. No idea what Heat Signature is and Where the Water tastes like wine looks like garbage.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

"Welp none of these indie games are doing it for me, better play victoria 2 my favorite african subjugation simulator for the two thousandth hour"

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Some more great indie games I haven't seen come up:

Downwell
Broforce
The Swapper
The Messenger
LISA
Night in the Woods
Her Story
Russian Subway Dogs
Oxenfree
Master Spy
Risk of Rain 2

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

"Welp none of these indie games are doing it for me, better play victoria 2 my favorite african subjugation simulator for the two thousandth hour"
I typed up that whole list for that weakass burn, C'mon you can do better than that.

Sokoto is the only place worth it in the early phases anyways, the real money is in taking states from Qing

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Gaius Marius posted:

No idea what Heat Signature is and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7rnYzkpZ4c

Gaius Marius posted:

Where the Water tastes like wine looks like garbage.
u look like garbage

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

No sane man could have predicted you would literally type up your life story of favorite games my man, I don't care how much you used to play pokemon when you were a kid lol

Oh another fun indie game I haven't seen come up is Spiritfarer

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
My unpopular opinion is that I wish people would stop comparing invisible inc to xcom because they aren't similar at all besides sharing a grid based movement system

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

site posted:

My unpopular opinions is that I wish people would stop comparing invisible inc to xcom because they aren't similar at all besides sharing a grid based movement system

this but dwarf fortress and rimworld

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

No sane man could have predicted you would literally type up your life story of favorite games my man, I don't care how much you used to play pokemon when you were a kid lol

Oh another fun indie game I haven't seen come up is Spiritfarer

Whatever stops people from disparaging my character by acting like I play Uncharted and Jedi Fallen order

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

PinheadSlim posted:

this but dwarf fortress and rimworld

holy poo poo yes. i got hooked on rimworld and everyone kept talking about how it's dwarf fortress with graphics so i went to check out the "original" and was very confused.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

site posted:

My unpopular opinion is that I wish people would stop comparing invisible inc to xcom because they aren't similar at all besides sharing a grid based movement system

Invisible Inc is the Dark Souls of XCOM games!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

site posted:

And yet every time that I play XCOM I just keep thinking "I wish this was Invisible Inc", it's so weird

They're objectively different games but there's enough overlap for comparisons to naturally occur

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The real awful xcom alike is phantom doctrine. Why you would waste a premise like that on a second rate new xcom clone is beyond me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

QuarkJets posted:

And yet every time that I play XCOM I just keep thinking "I wish this was Invisible Inc", it's so weird

They're objectively different games but there's enough overlap for comparisons to naturally occur

And similarly every time I play invisible inc I wonder why people sold me on this as an xcom game, when it plays nothing like a squad based combat game with base building interludes... because it is extremely not a squad based combat game with base building interludes

site fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 1, 2021

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

They're both "aw gently caress!" simulators so I can understand the comparison

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

*hits the "Wait Around For Something To Happen" button for the umpteenth time in XCOM 2*

Gosh as the plucky rebels in a rebellion against the entire world you'd think we'd be busier

Woden
May 6, 2006
Shadowrun is my favourite Xcom clone.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

PinheadSlim posted:

Yeah usually a team with some amount of money/experience is better than most indie games but the ones that work are so good.

Like lol at the Harvest Moon series taking several teams of experienced developers backed by real publishers to get to the state it got to then some fan of the series by the name of ConcernedApe single handedly makes a better version of everything Harvest Moon has ever tried

Stardew was after the split between the developers and natsume where natsume kelt the name and just made a shitton of shovelware with the harvest moon name while the developers had to start over with a completely new brand name

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

QuarkJets posted:

*hits the "Wait Around For Something To Happen" button for the umpteenth time in XCOM 2*

Gosh as the plucky rebels in a rebellion against the entire world you'd think we'd be busier

So we're just moving goalposts now

Woden posted:

Shadowrun is my favourite Xcom clone.

The shadowrun games are legit good. I wish they made more instead of moving on to MechWarrior

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

PinheadSlim posted:

It reminded me of custom robo which was an incredible game i forget about and enjoy remembering.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

site posted:

And similarly every time I play invisible inc I wonder why people sold me on this as an xcom game, when it plays nothing like a squad based combat game with base building interludes... because it is extremely not a squad based combat game with base building interludes

It's a squad-based combat game without base building. No tech tree, either. Greater emphasis on stealth mechanics, but full-lethal is a fun strategy. But when it comes to similarity, there's also the importance of information in the tactical game, the mission selection interface, the squad loadout features, the character progression systems, the notion of acting as a plucky rebel assault force fighting the rest of the world... there's really a lot of similarity

The developers even cite XCOM as a source of inspiration. XCOM's influence is all over that game even if it is designed to be a different game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

QuarkJets posted:

It's a squad-based combat game without base building. No tech tree, either. Greater emphasis on stealth mechanics, but full-lethal is a fun strategy. But when it comes to similarity, there's also the importance of information in the tactical game, the mission selection interface, the squad loadout features, the character progression systems, the notion of acting as a plucky rebel assault force fighting the rest of the world... there's really a lot of similarity

The developers even cite XCOM as a source of inspiration. XCOM's influence is all over that game even if it is designed to be a different game.

You select couple people, drop in, avoid combat wherever possible, then bug out. That isn't a loving xcom game

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Biggest difference between XCOM and Invisible Inc: people have heard about and played XCOM without some guy taking every possible opportunity to gush about it on a forum!!!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

site posted:

You select couple people, drop in, avoid combat wherever possible, then bug out. That isn't a loving xcom game

No one's saying that it is

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

QuarkJets posted:

Invisible Inc is my favorite tactics game of all time, another indie game. I'd gladly play another 40 hours of that than a single additional hour of the modern XComs

i guess we are at the "comparing a game to another game does not mean I'm comparing the game to another game" stage

site fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 1, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

site posted:

i guess we are at the "comparing a game to another game does not mean I'm comparing the game to another game" stage of denial

It seems more like you're struggling with the meaning of words like "compare", as in you can compare two games while acknowledging that they're not the same. So when you said this:

site posted:

That isn't a loving xcom game

I agreed, because that's true. Invisible Inc is not an XCOM game. I even outlined few of their differences. But if you play both of them there are also a lot of similarities, which is why people compare them so often

Like you can go to my other posts where I say they are different games if you want to, I'm not denying that they're different

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 1, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

It seems more like you're struggling with the meaning of words like "compare", as in you can compare two games while acknowledging that they're not the same. So when you said this:

I'm STRUGGLING to read you are posting!!!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

QuarkJets posted:

I don't really understand trying have your cake and eat it too on trying to pretend you aren't comparing it to xcom while directly comparing it to xcom but sure you do you

(For the record this rankles me because I had multiple people, when I said I enjoyed xcom, sell me on invisible inc in exactly the way you talk about it and I ended up dropping money on a game I didn't want)

site fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 1, 2021

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Invisible inc is a freaking stealth game and while xcom 2 added some stealth elements it very much is not a stealth game. They are both very good at what they do and are complete different genres that both happen to be turn based tactics games.

That said, by the time invisible inc came out I was so worn down by every turn based game being "like xcom" it didn't particularly bother me that they get compared. And quite frankly I loved turn based tactics games and firaxcom1 made them popular again, so gently caress it it was worth the price.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

site posted:

I don't really understand trying have your cake and eat it too on trying to pretend you aren't comparing it to xcom while directly comparing it to xcom but sure you do you

Like agyou, pointing out the most superficial similarities and then not approaching the actual gameplay at all. That's dumb. Why isn't it like xcom? Gee I dunno maybe if I had more than 2 brain cells I could fuckin figure it out

(For the record this rankles me because I had multiple people, when I said I enjoyed xcom, sell me on invisible inc in exactly the way you talk about it and I ended up dropping money on a game I didn't want)

QuarkJets posted:

It seems more like you're struggling with the meaning of words like "compare", as in you can compare two games while acknowledging that they're not the same.

Like wow

I also described several similar gameplay elements that go way behind superficial similarities but they don't count for some reason. Internet pride points, I guess

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if the core gameplay is squad combat with base building interludes, and the game you're comparing it to does not have squad based combat with base building interludes...i don't know what to tell you besides you're not getting it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I found this re: Invisible Inc hope you like it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Quick reminder that Devolver and Annapurna are publishers even if they specialize in the indie aesthetic

poo poo, I guess the AA revival was here all along

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
In my opinion, arguments that revolve around generalizations of quality for games based on the size of the studio, platform exclusivity, or whatever other aspect of games that becomes increasingly irrelevant over time as playing those games becomes easier due to emulation and piracy are significantly less interesting than complaining about Tenchu not getting more good successors and getting recommendations for more games like Tenchu

Anyways Tenchu was really good and I want more games like Tenchu and it's bullshit that there aren't more games in that style like Mark of the Ninja. How in the gently caress has Ubisoft managed to make so many games about assassins that don't measure up to Tenchu

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

signalnoise posted:

How in the gently caress has Ubisoft managed to make so many games about assassins that don't measure up to Tenchu

making the one game over and over again for 15 years will do that to you

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

How in the gently caress has Ubisoft managed to make so many games about assassins that don't measure up to Tenchu

They may have made many games ostensibly about assassins, but only the first one had any interest in the player acting like an assassin (kinda).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gaius Marius posted:

Rune factory four is literally a better game in every way then stardew, except for lacking multiplayer.

yeah any rune factory really is way better than stardew. they both have the problem of having the combat built on a system that was designed for a farming/social sim though

Rags to Liches posted:

Is Disco Elysium considered indie or a step above?

isnt disco elysium's team ~100 developers large