Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

PostNouveau posted:

I made a gif of Marge attempting to murder Lindsey Naegle.

It was just such a weird moment. It's very Daffy Duck, but also she's so realistically hosed up and in pain by the end of it.

God I loving hate this stiff dreck completely lacking in character. I need the word of an animator (Who is not a piece of poo poo like John K) to say why this is so utterly dreadful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inspector Gesicht posted:

God I loving hate this stiff dreck completely lacking in character. I need the word of an animator (Who is not a piece of poo poo like John K) to say why this is so utterly dreadful.

I'm not an animator, but it's because everything is on model the entire time, there's no plasticity to it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

John K's piece-of-shittiness aside, the points he makes are sound as applied to this. Specific acting is something completely missing in modern Simpsons; and another is anticipation/follow-through. That's the thing that leads to everybody looking like a wooden stick figure with no sense of weight or flexibility when they interact with their surroundings.

I wonder when the last time was that a Simpsons animator drew a smear

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Take a look at Marge. What are we seeing when we watch her?

Her eyes bouncing around. It's okay, it's not terrible, but it is pretty simple.

Now imagine if she reacted more with her face - screwing it up and making different shapes with each successive fall. Now you get something more vibrant.

It feels really cheap. It's a better executed pupil move from Moaning Lisa in the first season where they move Bart's eyes when Homer is looking for his wallet in an attempt to fill time.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
You can also see where the animation of Marge's eyes ends, pauses, reverses, and restarts.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

You can also see where the animation of Marge's eyes ends, pauses, reverses, and restarts.

I was legit hoping that was a result of the gif, holy gently caress.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

See also: that dancing horse turnaround

Forward .... now reverse it ... now forward again

Three times the footage!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

Nope it aired like that

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
What the gently caress is it that everything with Marge is an abomination?
Proper cycling is literally the second thing you learn after a ball bounce, HOW DO YOU gently caress THAT UP?!

e: I guess I should be equally upset that they fail the ball bounce animation, as well. So I am!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Das Boo posted:

It didn't even occur to me that it wasn't the result of the GIF. God drat.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think another big thing is that the design is all wrong. Naegel moves as if she has no weight or skeletal structure, but she's clearly visibly injured. But it ends up in this uncanny valley where it's too cartoonish to be real but not cartoonish enough to be funny. You can't figure out what your reaction should be.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
I was watching clips from older episodes and came across the one of Luke Perry being fired out of the cannon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvLvfocAzns). The entire sequence is completely ridiculous and absurd, but in a way that fits in perfectly with the rest of the episode, making it just yet another fantastic joke of many that I enjoy back to back to back without so much as a second thought.

But that fall - it's so weird as it tries to be both cartoonish but also strangely serious. I look at it and feel like it doesn't fit at all in the world that it's happening in. It's just jarring more than anything.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 31, 2021

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Luke Perry's sent through 5 different gags in 20 seconds while the new one spends the full 14 seconds on 1 gag that's not great to begin with.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

When people tell you hand-drawn animation is more expensive, they're full of poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ACID: HALF PRICE :lmao:

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Cant unsee it, gently caress

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You can just hear the director going "No stretch it out more, the longer it takes the funnier it is"

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Was it American Dad with a similar gag where Stan (?) goes flying through the air somehow and painfully plows through a razor blade store, a broken glass art installment, a cactus nursery, and a lemon juice fountain? I can hear Stan’s “AHHHHH!” in my head.

Same joke as the Luke Perry bit, but hilarious compared to Lindsey Naegel fall while Marge moves her pupils for three frames.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

You Are A Elf posted:

Was it American Dad with a similar gag where Stan (?) goes flying through the air somehow and painfully plows through a razor blade store, a broken glass art installment, a cactus nursery, and a lemon juice fountain? I can hear Stan’s “AHHHHH!” in my head.

Same joke as the Luke Perry bit, but hilarious compared to Lindsey Naegel fall while Marge moves her pupils for three frames.

Yeah it was american dad, kind of early in the series I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJNPNYIisJM

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PinheadSlim posted:

Yeah it was american dad, kind of early in the series I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJNPNYIisJM

Much obliged :tipshat:

I think it happens twice in the episode. Forgot about Stan’s rocket boot (he could only afford one).

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Come to think of it, pretty sure I was blending the Luke Perry gag with the Stan gag :aaa:

Anyway, here’s my favorite bit from that episode, Stan dancing to Public Enemy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DogPVGO4ps

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Best American dad is when he gets hooked on crack

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
https://youtu.be/y5lC8TA1P18

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Muk Dumpster posted:

I like the post apocalyptic christmas special where the antichrist is just some nasty lil dude in a skintight suit

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Muk Dumpster posted:

Stan becoming obsessed with and/or hooked on things always makes for a good episode. The crack one, the one where he discovers masturbation, the one where he becomes a jury foreman & is hellbent on making sure that Roger goes to jail, and the one where he gets anorexia are all classics.

Pretty good posted:

I like the post apocalyptic christmas special where the antichrist is just some nasty lil dude in a skintight suit

Condemn them, mother, for they know EXACTLY what they do!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pretty good posted:

The anti-christ was basically The Riddler.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

YeahTubaMike posted:

Stan becoming obsessed with and/or hooked on things always makes for a good episode. The crack one, the one where he discovers masturbation, the one where he becomes a jury foreman & is hellbent on making sure that Roger goes to jail, and the one where he gets anorexia are all classics.

My morning jacket

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Someone should take classic Simpson scenes and animate them in this modern style. It’s so easy to overlook how much the animation adds to the jokes.

https://youtu.be/3FOzD4Sfgag

This guy is talking about comedies in general and how few people seem to give much thought to the visuals these days but it applies just as much to animation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

You Are A Elf posted:

Much obliged :tipshat:

I think it happens twice in the episode. Forgot about Stan’s rocket boot (he could only afford one).

I still remember the Iron Man 3 memes about it.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The anti-christ was basically The Riddler.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who made that connection. It actually kinda works, since the point is to make him the opposite of the show's depiction of Jesus.

Stan Smith works amazingly well because, despite some attempts to differentiate him from Peter Griffin, he doesn't actually particularly try to be sympathetic, and comes off pretty much as a (sometimes) functional sociopath making an honest effort to fit into society. Basically gives him maximum flexibility without anything feeling too out of character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
There's a reason that animation is so tied to comedy. Having such control over the visuals of a scene is a perfect accompaniment to jokes and gags. Even the little things, in limited animation styles, can matter so much.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Failed Imagineer posted:

My morning jacket

Also a good episode imho, but not a classic.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

I liked it better the first time i watched it when i thought the band was just made up

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/oneframesimpson/status/1377308594643873801?s=21

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Are they ... trying to create their own Tommy Westphall thing

e: referring of course to the fact that The Simpsons is listed as a show within the Simpsons universe

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 1, 2021

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

What an eerily sterile frame.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

[a joke where I'm pretending these show names aren't real]

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I’m the Korean intern who is tasked with skewing and stretching and aligning the show names to make sure it spreads out correctly on the edges of the TV screens to match the parallax of the wide angle camera shot

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

YeahTubaMike posted:

What an eerily sterile frame.

Also been noticing this. First time I've ever experienced uncanny valley in 2D.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

It's just....naming a bunch of real shows.

If this occured in an earlier Simpson season, there would be 90% less pictures and they would all be parodies since, you know, that would actually be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I need Al Jean to tweet where the joke is located in that screenshot.