Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ville Valo posted:

Fun movie but man that design is even uglier than the one in Ready Player One. Kiryu still reigns supreme.

I think I like the 70's version more now than I did as a kid and more than the other designs. I saw some fanart or box art that updated it's proportions to be more like the modern monsters and it looked pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I actually like that this Mecha G resembles the brutish and inelegant things made by the military industrial complex, like a fusion between a M1 Abrams and Godzilla. The Apex commercial shown early on starts with aerial and ground drones followed by factory robots and finally children being identified by facial recognition software. Big tech is not humanity's friend in the monsterverse or our world.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This was so similar to bvs lol

Good I’m happy to know I’m not the only one thinking that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I, no, that is stupid and makes no...wait.........holy poo poo. So Godzilla is...and Kong is...and Mecha....HOLY poo poo....

I say this as someone who loves BvS, btw.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
loving great movie. Just a big ol' WWE match with monsters.

The human stuff was even enjoyable when Kong was around. The only weak point was the MBB side story, but they were fairly brief and not that bad. I think helped going full-on Sci-fi for a lot of the human stuff.

We have anti-grav units and a giant mech. Also we're in Kong's literal throne room and he has an axe. Sure. gently caress it, why not? If they're going to go hard, they leaned into it instead of trying to temper it with some dumb realism bullshit.

A+ will rewatch. They are two good strongboys.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s amazing just how much better this film is then KOTM. Only area I’d say it isn’t is the score, and that’s a debatably point. Hell even the goofy stuff I was annoyed about in KOTM I’m fine with how it’s done here.

That said I hope they put deleted scenes out as extras, cause no way was that all Lance Reddick was cast for.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's no way they hired Reddick for one line. Wiki says he's cast as a Monarch high up, so between that and the brief runtime, there's definitely a subplot on the floor at Legendary.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

well why not posted:

There's no way they hired Reddick for one line. Wiki says he's cast as a Monarch high up, so between that and the brief runtime, there's definitely a subplot on the floor at Legendary.

#ReleasetheReddickCut

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vintersorg posted:

Loved the little homage to Kong stuffing a tree down Godzillas throat when he stuffs the axe down there, lol.

They also had the classic electricity revives Kong angle. ;)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ah, poo poo. So it sucks then?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

This is all so on the nose it's funny. Alpha Boss naming his company Apex Cybernetics is further confirmation of his delusion and belief in a fictional hierarchy. Being an apex predator does not make you a ruler of the land or the seas. Species like lions, orcas, and t-rexs aren't normally preyed upon by others and exert pressure on all trophic levels below them, but that also means they are in the most precarious position due to their nutritional and thus territorial requirements. Their very survival is dependent on a balanced healthy ecosystem, while a bottom feeder or burrower can survive an asteroid impact/climate change, the inherent needs of big hunters make them most likely to go extinct in bad times. The duality of real apex predators is present in the story with Godzilla and Kong being lone survivors of equally mighty and endangered species. In spite of that reality, arrogant people see these megafauna in that cartoonish light and act in accordance with that fake alpha mentality, causing harm to others, the world, and themselves. The movie itself says there's no need to battle for dominance when Kong and Godzilla choose to stop fighting when the manmade disturbance is removed. There's interesting stuff here for such an intentionally bombastic and silly film.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 1, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gatts posted:

#ReleasetheReddickCut

well why not posted:

I’ll be very interested to read about the production history for the movie when the info starts coming out. It was delayed so many times and it seemed like it was a hard transition from to KOTM to Godzilla vs. Kong.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
There's already some information on Lance Reddick's reduced role over here. Doesn't sound like any other cut will ever be forthcoming.

Adam Wingard posted:

Originally, Lance's part was a little bit bigger as he plays the Monarch director, he's running the organization. There was a scene earlier in the film, a big board room scene where they're setting up the mission. He had a larger role, but ultimately we didn’t need that scene, we changed a couple of plot details during the editing process, so that earlier stuff got cut. Now, that stuff just counts as a fun cameo. He is still top credited, it's still part of his contract. It's funny because he shows up in the opening credits and then turns up for four lines, maybe three, in the movie ultimately.

This is the ultimate version of the film. We actually did the least amount of reshoots than any of those MonsterVerse films. Normally, they do about two weeks, but we only did five days. We did have to be quite surgical, as we did change one element of the plot and it affected a couple of scenes at the beginning and a couple of scenes at the end. That's where my low-budget, no-budget background comes in. You have to be very crafty and able to think in those terms. We were very surgical in those terms. So, no, this is the ultimate version of the film, I would never do a different version of it.

Even as a cameo, seeing him in a Wingard film brought happy memories of The Guest, the last film they worked on together.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Enjoyable enough movie, and definitely wasn't as stupid as KotM which I appreciated. Interesting that they decided to kill off all the new monsters introduced in KotM in between movies ... what was even the point?

Still, Godzilla 2014 and Skull Island were visually interesting in a way the latter two Monsterverse movies were unable to replicate. Too bad.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mr. unhsib posted:

Enjoyable enough movie, and definitely wasn't as stupid as KotM which I appreciated. Interesting that they decided to kill off all the new monsters introduced in KotM in between movies ... what was even the point?

Still, Godzilla 2014 and Skull Island were visually interesting in a way the latter two Monsterverse movies were unable to replicate. Too bad.

I don't think they mean defeated equals dead. The only ones that should be counted as dead are the ones we see die. Otherwise, defeated could just mean that they're not an active threat now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I laughed pretty hard once I saw what they were doing there in the credits. Maximum cheese.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

mr. unhsib posted:

I think they’re still around. Wolf dad says their solution for dealing with Titans just went poof after Godzilla hit Florida. My guess is that the defeated ones on that screen have just submitted to Big G. Also, they showed the Skullcrawler on Kong’s side and they’re still around.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

"There goes Kong, the smartest and most dextrous titan to walk the planet. No one bows to Kong. He does what he wants, when he wants. He weighs as much as a mountain."
*scene missing*
"This is a bad idea" she says. Kong is in the background, wrapped in chains, chilling on a boat.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dignity Van Houten posted:

"There goes Kong, the smartest and most dextrous titan to walk the planet. No one bows to Kong. He does what he wants, when he wants. He weighs as much as a mountain."
*scene missing*
"This is a bad idea" she says. Kong is in the background, wrapped in chains, chilling on a boat.

I agree, that was weird, and left me confused. I forgot about that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I loved and hated the movie. By itself, it was fantastic start to finish. Very Millenium era plot, good action, amazing fights. I was actually surprised at how simple mecha G was? Like I had all these crazy ideas they straight up had a fake Godzilla but nah G was just trying to stop Mecha from coming online. I dig that. The human plot only existed to move across locations and that’s ok for the film this was trying to be.

That said, it’s such an insane and bullshit departure from G’14 I can’t help but to be somewhat disappointed. I knew once KOTM opened that box we’d never go back to anywhere near realism but hot loving drat they went all out on this one. Hollow Earth was cool and the most believable part of this movie compare led to the bullshit cyber tech anyone can use and is also broken by the front facing computer. I thought it was dumb in KOTM and it’s even worse here. But it’s only worse when directly comparing it G’14.

KOTM and GvK are great and fit right in with the rest of the Godzilla movies. Right amount of camp, magic tech, and monster fights. But G’14 and Shin stand alone as the real greats.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

I agree, that was weird, and left me confused. I forgot about that.

That was my oh so we’re REALLY not bothering with the plot, huh moment.

Vintersorg posted:

I laughed pretty hard once I saw what they were doing there in the credits. Maximum cheese.

I must have missed this because I didn’t pick up on anything? I was half posting my thoughts during it tho

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I rewatched G14 just now and it’s kinda crazy how “realistic” it is compared to GvK. It’s only been 7 years and two sequels, but now we’ve got THE HOLLOW EARTH, intercontinental hyperloop pods, anti-grav spaceships, massive Monarch bases, humans piloting giant mecha via the drift psionic interface with a Ghidorah brain, and an AI that’s briefly mentioned once in the first ten minutes but apparently can take control of said mecha once it has the power of THE HOLLOW EARTH.

The biggest tech plot point in G14 is “the MUTOs cause EMPs, so stick an old school detonator in that nuke”.

It's not dissimilar to what Ivan Reitman and Harold Ramis said about rewriting Ghostbusters, they called it the domino theory of reality. You couldn't have a 100-foot-tall marshmallow man 20 minutes into the movie, it would be too much, too soon. But if you slowly ramp things up, starting with the library ghost, then of COURSE the audience buys the marshmallow monster, because you've been slowly increasing the dosage of silly over the last hour and a half.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Overall it was good but I think I liked KOTM more (but I've always been a big Ghidorah fan).

The sea fight was really cool and Godzilla stalking them like a shark was a great visual. It actually reminded me a lot of the start of 20,000 leagues under the sea when the Nautilus is attacking the ships.

The Hong Kong fight part 1 wasn't as good for me as the Boston fight in KOTM. Just the two of them punching it out over who is the best. It didn't have the "This could be the end of the world" urgency. Adding Mecha to the fight improved it and I wish that had lasted a bit longer.

As for the human stuff... Eh. The girl being Kong's friend was nice and the only good plot. The MBB and team stuff was only good for my favorite exchange in the whole movie: "I only learned HTML at summer camp!" "Was it a 90s summer camp?!"

If they somehow got to do more of these movies... I'd love to see a prequel with Atlantis Godzilla vs Kong Kingdom. And then another sequel with Mecha Ghidorah.

Also the gravity vehicles would be an amazing theme park ride. Fly through hollow earth and then the middle of a Kong/Godzilla fight.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 1, 2021

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
That poo poo was FUN. Kong really shines, and I love me some Kong, so that's a big win in my book.

Kong smiling when he sees the little girl was :unsmith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GvK Discord stream will be live in about 45 minutes :supaburn:

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I loved it. 7/10? Maybe 8. Felt like a Showa era movie with 2021 visuals. Corny, a bit. But the 8 year old me watching channel 18 on Friday (Saturday?) nights back in Milwaukee many years ago would have loved it. Never outgrow your inner 8 year old.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Zero One posted:

Overall it was good but I think I liked KOTM more (but I've always been a big Ghidorah fan).

I think all of them are good for somewhat different reasons. G14 was a disaster movie, Skull Island was like a grindhouse throwback crossed with Alien, KOTM was "what if transformers but good", and GvK reminds me of like, pulp 50s serials

It's good stuff all around

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I must have missed this because I didn’t pick up on anything? I was half posting my thoughts during it tho

It was basically a tournament bracket on screen.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Kong smiling when he sees the little girl was :unsmith:

I chuckled out loud when he was getting a sense of his surroundings in Antarctica, and shuddered as if to say "oh, this really sucks."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

It was basically a tournament bracket on screen.

Ooooooooh you meant the opening credits and I misread. Yeah that poo poo owned.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I also found it weird how Kong lady was like "no way will I let you put Kong in harm's way" and after cowardly guy says "pretty please" she's onboard with it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tekne posted:

I also found it weird how Kong lady was like "no way will I let you put Kong in harm's way" and after cowardly guy says "pretty please" she's onboard with it.

I mean he did argue correctly that the current situation was untenable and it was only a matter of time

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tekne posted:

They rather heavily imply that Skull Island can't sustain Kong indefinitely at his current size and if he stays there he'll die, not to mention that some time before that he's probably going to bust his containment system.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

"this untested experimental aircraft has enough power to run the city of Las Vegas for a week. I can reconfigure it to discharge instantaneously by flipping this switch. When we breach the hollow earth, the force of gravity will flip and likely crush us to death. It's like bungee jumping with the cord tied to your lower intestine.Theres flying carnivorous bats the size of dump trucks."

"can my seven year old daughter come"

"sure"

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Huh, I forgot about that. Guess I'm just not used to differences in opinion between being resolved that quickly in movies/tv.

They brought the girl because it would be cruel for her to miss the fieldtrip of a lifetime.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

They bring the girl because Kong would go completely berserk without her.

Also, like, Monarch isn't really the good guys in this film lol. They're basically slavers who just barely-sorta make amends at the very end by reviving Kong. Ilene is maybe slightly less complicit than Nathan but most of her making GBS threads on him is deeply hypocritical, and with respect to Kong specifically she might even be worse because she's implied to have at least suspected that Kong is sapient for some time now. They both suck.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also the native Iwi residents of Skull Island were wiped out by "a storm", which if you read between the lines presumably means King Ghidorah, in which case Monarch is effectively responsible for their genocide. and then they basically set up camp over their graves, built a prison for their god, and used the last survivor of their people to keep him docile.

:shepface:

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

drat I thought this poo poo was worse than the tristar godzilla film lol

It goes so far off the established rails that it seemed more like a millennium-era one-off than an actual sequel

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also the native Iwi residents of Skull Island were wiped out by "a storm", which if you read between the lines presumably means King Ghidorah, in which case Monarch is effectively responsible for their genocide. and then they basically set up camp over their graves, built a prison for their god, and used the last survivor of their people to keep him docile.

:shepface:

I forget if that was already mentioned in KOTM but I feel like it was. But also wasn’t a giant storm already surrounding the island in Skull Island?

Another detail that was cool but didn't make sense:

When Kong puts the axe in the ground the lighted circle of energy looks like a Godzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zero One posted:

Another detail that was cool but didn't make sense:

When Kong puts the axe in the ground the lighted circle of energy looks like a Godzilla.

What doesn't make sense about it?

The ancient Kong society used dead godzillas as a power source. This is definitely a brilliant idea that could never go wrong, has no parallels to what humanity is doing in the present, and couldn't possibly have anything to do with Kong civilization being wiped out. :v: