Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Vancouver went above 1000 daily cases for the first time ever today. I wonder wh-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

really would just like to RV around maine right now. avoid people. eat some blueberries. maybe that makes me a monster. idk.

lol at the idea of flying somewhere because “it’s my time”

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lacrosse posted:

Sometimes I wish I didn't read The Hot Zone

i listened to the audiobook when i was 10 and it scared the everliving poo poo out of me lol

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Vancouver went above 1000 daily cases for the first time ever today. I wonder wh-

im not up on the rules in vancouver. did they go with "the virus doesn't infect you in places of commerce" approach? i like it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Insanite posted:

really would just like to RV around maine right now. avoid people. eat some blueberries. maybe that makes me a monster. idk.

lol at the idea of flying somewhere because “it’s my time”

My unvaccinated 50 year old turbo lib ultra successful cousins just did this with their high school kids and then just sent pictures of them eating dinner overlooking the hudson river and doing manhattan tomorrow

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
all those stories of middling efficacy vaccines being more dangerous than nothing at all because of the change in behavior they cause is starting to make a hell of a lot of sense.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Delta-Wye posted:

all those stories of middling efficacy vaccines being more dangerous than nothing at all because of the change in behavior they cause is starting to make a hell of a lot of sense.

That's more of a people problem than a vaccine problem though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the vaccines are made of people

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Helith posted:

The Brisbane cases seem to very strongly suggest airborne transmission

why are people even studying this anymore lol

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Helith posted:

That's more of a people problem than a vaccine problem though

Yes, sorry, dangerous purely from a public health policy standpoint, not from a pure "is this safe to take" standpoint. All else being equal, without other options even a low efficacy safe vaccine is better than nothing for an individual who doesn't open'r'up crazily afterwards.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
ICE T, thank you

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1377332490809974784?s=19

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

euphronius posted:

the vaccines are made of people

slut juice green is people

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Insanite posted:

Nah, pretty sure that makes you a bear

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Forseti posted:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Forseti posted:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Delta-Wye posted:

Yeah, people in this thread like to be all blackpilled doomers about COVID just being here forever without really considering what that means. It's going to be a disaster if we can't actually contain this now that vaccines are wildly available. A yearly illness more deadly than the flu on top of the flu would just be... loving lol. lmao.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Forseti posted:

gently caress, nm.

I’m no animal.

cruise booked.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, people in this thread like to be all blackpilled doomers about COVID just being here forever without really considering what that means. It's going to be a disaster if we can't actually contain this now that vaccines are wildly available. A yearly illness more deadly than the flu on top of the flu would just be... loving lol. lmao.

Yeah it means for half the year in any given area a broken femur or appendicitis or heart attack or stroke is a death sentence and infant morality reverts to 20%

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Paradoxish posted:

inshallah

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Delta-Wye posted:

im not up on the rules in vancouver. did they go with "the virus doesn't infect you in places of commerce" approach? i like it.

Yeah pretty much the worst of both worlds - a semi strict but useless lockdown that flatlines the economy but allows the virus to spread. They only closed restaurants a few days ago when the covid number started going vertical.

Completely unsurprising that they have hosed up the virus response considering law enforcement is non-existent in general in North America's top money laundering hub. So glad I left.

Edit: most people I know there have been unemployed for a year now, and I definitely would have been to. And $2000 per month from the government barely covers a studio apartment rent in the city.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 03:38 on Apr 1, 2021

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Paradoxish posted:

you should change your username to "people in this thread"

nobody "likes" to be doomers but there's a big difference between being cautiously optimistic and stone cold realistic given we're seeing well over half a million dead in the US alone, cases increasing across the world (again), and how brazen the government has been with how they don't give a flying poo poo about their populaces' lives.

people have put full faith into vaccines being a silver bullet that'll allow them to return to pre-COVID lifestyles and it's just not realistic for a while, if not, ever.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

actually you'll find that covid is over, you fuckin doom post idiots.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hell yeah

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
got my first shot today, was incredibly easy in and out in less than 10 minutes, thank god

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

smoobles posted:

actually you'll find that covid is over, you fuckin doom post idiots.

whew, now thats all over and behind us, lets get back to that root cause analysis:
https://www.npr.org/2021/03/31/983156340/theory-that-covid-came-from-a-chinese-lab-takes-on-new-life-in-wake-of-who-repor

quote:

Meanwhile, not far beneath the surface of the debate are geopolitical tensions between China and the United States – relations between the two countries soured in the last year under Trump and show no signs of improving under the Biden administration.

President Trump sought to place maximum blame for COVID-19 on China — and pushed the lab leak theory — in what some saw as an effort to deflect criticism of his own handling of the pandemic.

But Scott Kennedy, with the Center for Strategic and International Studies, says China's foot dragging on an investigation, counter-accusations and secrecy haven't helped its case.

"The West prides itself on its openness and transparency relative to authoritarian places like China, so in the competition for soft power and legitimacy this is a useful topic to continue to push," he said.

For its part, the Biden administration joined 13 other governments to criticize the WHO report and call for more openness from China on Tuesday. In a joint statement, they did not mention the lab leak theory, but Biden hasn't ruled it out.

"I think the administration has made it pretty clear that given the lack of Chinese transparency, it is not comfortable eliminating the lab escape theory," said Elizabeth Economy, a senior fellow at Stanford University's Hoover Institution.

"The fact that WHO head Tedros, who has previously championed China's transparency, stated that more extensive research was needed before eliminating the possibility that the virus escaped from the lab signals that continued skepticism is merited," says Economy.
trmpu policies... but done effectively!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Louisgod posted:

you should change your username to "people in this thread"

nobody "likes" to be doomers but there's a big difference between being cautiously optimistic and stone cold realistic given we're seeing well over half a million dead in the US alone, cases increasing across the world (again), and how brazen the government has been with how they don't give a flying poo poo about their populaces' lives.

people have put full faith into vaccines being a silver bullet that'll allow them to return to pre-COVID lifestyles and it's just not realistic for a while, if not, ever.

I'm saying that there are a lot of posters here who are doing the whole "lol COVID is never going away so just get vaccinated and live your life" thing, but the real advantage of vaccines is getting enough people vaccinated to actually crush the spread long-term. We're not doing that because we couldn't sit on our loving hands for a few months while we rolled out vaccines, and we're doing everything we can to spread this poo poo everywhere through a partially vaccinated population.

I am 100% in agreement with you and I am making fun of people for not being doomy enough

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Delta-Wye posted:

Elizabeth Economy,

Debbie Derivative

Nora Number

Wilma Wallstreet

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1226942689125359616?s=20

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
why is that dog just chillin with a turd?

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

durrneez posted:

why is that dog just chillin with a turd?

you've obviously never been around a geriatric pug

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I knew a 15 year old pug and poop just regularly fell out of him as he walked around

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Debbie Derivative

Nora Number

Wilma Wallstreet

A real person! It does make it feel like the simulation is getting lazy tho

Paradoxish posted:

I'm saying that there are a lot of posters here who are doing the whole "lol COVID is never going away so just get vaccinated and live your life" thing, but the real advantage of vaccines is getting enough people vaccinated to actually crush the spread long-term. We're not doing that because we couldn't sit on our loving hands for a few months while we rolled out vaccines, and we're doing everything we can to spread this poo poo everywhere through a partially vaccinated population.

I am 100% in agreement with you and I am making fun of people for not being doomy enough

quote:

Take, for instance, this paper from 1995: “High Recombination and Mutation Rates in Mouse Hepatitis Viruses Suggest That Coronaviruses May Be Potentially Important Emerging Viruses.” It was written by Dr. Ralph Baric and his bench scientist, Boyd Yount, at the University of North Carolina. Baric, a gravelly voiced former swim champion, described in this early paper how his lab was able to train a coronavirus, MHV, which causes hepatitis in mice, to jump species, so that it could reliably infect BHK (baby-hamster kidney) cell cultures. They did it using serial passaging: repeatedly dosing a mixed solution of mouse cells and hamster cells with mouse-hepatitis virus, while each time decreasing the number of mouse cells and upping the concentration of hamster cells. At first, predictably, the mouse-hepatitis virus couldn’t do much with the hamster cells, which were left almost free of infection, floating in their world of fetal-calf serum. But by the end of the experiment, after dozens of passages through cell cultures, the virus had mutated: It had mastered the trick of parasitizing an unfamiliar rodent. A scourge of mice was transformed into a scourge of hamsters. And there was more: “It is clear that MHV can rapidly alter its species specificity and infect rats and primates,” Baric said. “The resulting virus variants are associated with demyelinating diseases in these alternative species.” (A demyelinating disease is a disease that damages nerve sheaths.) With steady prodding from laboratory science, along with some rhetorical exaggeration, a lowly mouse ailment was morphed into an emergent threat that might potentially cause nerve damage in primates. That is, nerve damage in us.

A few years later, in a further round of “interspecies transfer” experimentation, Baric’s scientists introduced their mouse coronavirus into flasks that held a suspension of African-green-monkey cells, human cells, and pig-testicle cells. Then, in 2002, they announced something even more impressive: They’d found a way to create a full-length infectious clone of the entire mouse-hepatitis genome. Their “infectious construct” replicated itself just like the real thing, they wrote.

it kinds sounds like we are doing this, very specifically.

quote:

They did it using serial passaging: repeatedly dosing a mixed population of unvaxed and vaxed people with sars2 virus, while each time decreasing the number of unvaxed people and upping the concentration of vaxed people. At first, predictably, the sars2 virus couldn’t do much with the vaxed people, which were left almost free of infection, floating in their world of half-priced apps. But by the end of the experiment, after dozens of passages through population, the virus had mutated: It had mastered the trick of infecting a vaxed person.

non-sterilizing vaccinations aren't sufficient in a population that maintains a high community spread as far as I can tell. long term result is rolling surges, necessary boosters, and basically the cv19 superbug on top of the normal flu every goddamn year

if the vax is 95% effective, and going back to fully normal increases my exposures and person-to-person contact >20x, to a first order approximation it seems like my changes of catching it and passing it along are actually greater post vax. I would be safer if that happens, of course, but we're basically setting the stage for force evolving the virus via serial passaging-like mechanism.

Delta-Wye has issued a correction as of 04:08 on Apr 1, 2021

Loucks
May 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I can't wait to get my second shot tomorrow so I can spend every day still inside, googling escape variant spread.

Same.

Earlier this week I talked to someone outside my household in person, and they tried to run me down with their truck. Lesson learned.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://mobile.twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1377444144726085634

They’re trying to repair her reputation after she enabled trump, she was brought in to counter Fauci and she did it on purpose to get that spot. I guess she’s up next for dancing with the stars

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
a single hour at a concert represents several years worth of exposures at my current rate, maybe more even, especially packed in up front or in a tight mosh pit. even post vax its hard to see the path from here to there at this rate :smith:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Glumwheels posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1377444144726085634

They’re trying to repair her reputation after she enabled trump, she was brought in to counter Fauci and she did it on purpose to get that spot. I guess she’s up next for dancing with the stars
lmao at #resistance libs welcoming the most ghoulish vile creatures into their midst

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
she has to make sure she has a good reputation so she can cash out effectively

https://purewaterpa.com/blog/dr-deborah-brix-joins-activepure-technology/

quote:

The ActivePure Technology disinfection system is the safest, fastest and most powerful surface and air-purification technology available that minimizes recontamination and cross contamination in real time without the use of chemicals or ozone.

Units with ActivePure Technology pull free oxygen and water molecules in the air through ActivePure's patented honeycomb matrix. The technology creates powerful oxidizers, known as ActivePure Molecules, that are then released back into the room, where they seek and destroy DNA and RNA viruses including SARS-CoV-2 (novel coronavirus), Swine Flu (H1N1), Avian Bird Flu (H5N8), Hepatitis A (HAV) and MS2 bacteriophage, regardless of their size, on surfaces and in the air.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm58sGEdgAw

https://money.yahoo.com/exclusive-dr-deborah-birx-former-195238353.html

quote:

Dr. Deborah Birx, the former Trump White House Coronavirus Task Force coordinator, is taking a private sector job, joining a Texas manufacturer that says its purifiers clean COVID-19 from the air within minutes and from surfaces within hours.

Birx will join Dallas-based ActivePure as chief scientific and medical adviser, she and the company said on Friday.
:jerkbag:

Delta-Wye has issued a correction as of 04:25 on Apr 1, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

the evil is gestating in her neck.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

My county in NY offered three days of vaccines the day after opening 'er up to everyone over 30, with automatic second appointments to everyone who got their first shot. Wife and I got our first Pfizer shot today. She's getting some chills and my arm's gotten pretty loving sore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeCwwYjf8gw

TIME TO OPEN 'ER UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

it tracks