Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

infernal machines posted:

it was incredibly poorly communicated

Much like everything else over the past year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Entropic posted:

Much like everything else over the past year.

that's a mix though, some of it is surely poor communication. rather a lot of it is simply absolute nonsense, it can't be clearly or effectively explained because there's no consistent logic behind it.

in ontario we have a needlessly complex colour coding system indicating what restrictions are supposed to be in effect in each health region. then we decided we'd just mix and match anyways so that all the places seeing consistently high numbers could still go out for a drink. now poo poo's going wild and we've decided to apply the same lockdown toronto has been under for a month to the rest of the province, because that's clearly been working here.

there's no rational way you can explain this because it's clearly just arbitrary bullshit

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 04:20 on Apr 1, 2021

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

lmao

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
they should've given the definition for the bubble thing in terms of graph theory. it's a bubble if it's a fully connected subgraph that has less than 10 people and the number of connections from people inside the bubble to people outside the bubble is less than or equal to 10 and no single individual inside the bubble is also part of another bubble. or something like that

if someone want to min-max that stuff then they can earn it by solving an np-compete problem

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

its also funny how I, a person who interacts with hundreds of people in the public every day, can still join someone else's bubble.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i assumed the bubble thing is mostly made up

getting pretty frustrated here by how they're just going down the line by age for vaccination, and the working class is getting totally hosed

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Legault Tuesday: "All is good, no need to adjust measures to new variants, open 'er up!"
Legault Wednesday: "Shut... down... EVERYTHING!"

lol the tonal whiplash.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RBC posted:

i assumed the bubble thing is mostly made up

getting pretty frustrated here by how they're just going down the line by age for vaccination, and the working class is getting totally hosed

boomers win again

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Rutibex posted:

boomers win again

Speaking of boomers I asked my parents if they signed up for a vaccine yet and lol they haven't.

I check my region's site every loving day. Get the gently caress on it you old fucks we're waiting on you.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
Within a month there is probably going to be video of a boomer shrieking in the face of a masked 20-something service worker about how restrictions shouldn't apply to them because they got vaccinated and it's going to be cool.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah because that doesn't happen already lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah because that doesn't happen already lol

i assume for every video of a screeching boomer there are 1000 unrecorded incidents

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
The Calgary Stampede is happening this year lmao

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

The Calgary Stampede is happening this year lmao

This is going to be just like when Sturgis went ahead last year.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1377053373212528641?s=21

the vancouver maga brigade

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
that cyclist rules

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

idk, I heard he might be psyop'd.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
at first I was all skeptical and it looked fake/staged.

then bike dude owned the window. alright, now we’re getting somewhere. you rule bike dude.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

megaphone guy was also in the news recently for spraying his germs at the employees at a camera shop

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
he has a spectacular case of Shkreli-esque punchable face.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

polluting less to own the libs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
assuming that's not a joke post, the_system_works.txt

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The only way for the public to think of the bubble in a way that makes sense is one of those line plot things showing who has had sex with who- "when you breathe with someone, you're breathing with everyone that person has breathed with"- just straight up STD messaging (not that people are necessarily more likely to take that seriously)

Entropic posted:

Honestly I think ruleslawyering would be a massive improvement over seemingly everyone in the country thinking "well I know I'm fine and my friends are probably fine, so I don't have to take any of this too seriously."

Not really since it's the same set of people- indignant assholes who just can't not loving sit in Smitty's for hours on end

Seeing stuff like "my boyfriend and I can't sit together in a restaurant because we don't live together, wow these regulations are just crazy" well the regulation should be no dining in at all. Also, anecdotally the people going out to eat were the bad tippers and big complainers in the before times too, the pandemic isn't real to them so there's no reason it should affect service in their minds.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The only way for the public to think of the bubble in a way that makes sense is one of those line plot things showing who has had sex with who- "when you breathe with someone, you're breathing with everyone that person has breathed with"- just straight up STD messaging (not that people are necessarily more likely to take that seriously)

COVID really has me stunned that HIV spread didn't wipe out the whole species.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Another Bill posted:

People are having less sex

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Fried Watermelon posted:

People are having less sex

I mean in the 80s and 90s.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

HIV is actually pretty wimpy virus, it's not nearly as transmissible as the rona

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

No it doesn't. Just 3 ships taking a detour because of the canal blockage uses more fuel than every Canadian driving to work

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Another Bill posted:

How many people do you know have anal sex? It's almost all blood transmission, not just any fluid will do it

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Another Bill posted:

I mean in the 80s and 90s.

Per wikipedia and subject to all the usual caveats there, the odds of catching it are from any given act are ... dramatically lower than I expected.

quote:

With regard to unprotected heterosexual contacts, estimates of the risk of HIV transmission per sexual act appear to be four to ten times higher in low-income countries than in high-income countries.[57] In low-income countries, the risk of female-to-male transmission is estimated as 0.38% per act, and of male-to-female transmission as 0.30% per act; the equivalent estimates for high-income countries are 0.04% per act for female-to-male transmission, and 0.08% per act for male-to-female transmission.[57] The risk of transmission from anal intercourse is especially high, estimated as 1.4–1.7% per act in both heterosexual and homosexual contacts.[57][58] While the risk of transmission from oral sex is relatively low, it is still present.[59] The risk from receiving oral sex has been described as "nearly nil";[60] however, a few cases have been reported.[61] The per-act risk is estimated at 0–0.04% for receptive oral intercourse.[62]
[...]
The risk from sharing a needle during drug injection is between 0.63% and 2.4% per act, with an average of 0.8%.[69] The risk of acquiring HIV from a needle stick from an HIV-infected person is estimated as 0.3% (about 1 in 333) per act and the risk following mucous membrane exposure to infected blood as 0.09% (about 1 in 1000) per act.
[...]
HIV is transmitted in about 90% of blood transfusions using infected blood.[41] In developed countries the risk of acquiring HIV from a blood transfusion is extremely low (less than one in half a million) where improved donor selection and HIV screening is performed;[13] for example, in the UK the risk is reported at one in five million[72] and in the United States it was one in 1.5 million in 2008.[73]

Those sex numbers are seemingly before factoring in "However, an HIV-positive person who has an undetectable viral load as a result of long-term treatment has effectively no risk of transmitting HIV sexually.[51][52] The existence of functionally noncontagious HIV-positive people on antiretroviral therapy was controversially publicized in the 2008 Swiss Statement, and has since become accepted as medically sound.[53]"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

No it doesn't. Just 3 ships taking a detour because of the canal blockage uses more fuel than every Canadian driving to work

since the point was to make people, individually, cut down on their carbon footprint, it clearly does work.

whether that is in any way useful is another matter entirely

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Every week or two i see people screaming about the bike lanes downtown, and them threatening to never drive down there again.

Yes, please, thank you. Thats exactly what we want you to do.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

How many people do you know have anal sex? It's almost all blood transmission, not just any fluid will do it
you can have an hiv+ guy rawdog you until you bleed and its still not guaranteed you'll catch the bug lol

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

https://twitter.com/DavidHains/status/1377689092792672256

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Every week or two i see people screaming about the bike lanes downtown, and them threatening to never drive down there again.

Yes, please, thank you. Thats exactly what we want you to do.

Seriously. This happens every time.

Also when we shutdown major thoroughfares so that people could bike on them during the pandemic, and when we turned a major east-west corridor downtown into a transit priority road. Every time they say they'll never drive downtown again.

If only.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

since the point was to make people, individually, cut down on their carbon footprint, it clearly does work.

whether that is in any way useful is another matter entirely

Well no, the system does not work at all

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Juul-Whip posted:

you can have an hiv+ guy rawdog you until you bleed and its still not guaranteed you'll catch the bug lol

yeah I'm pretty sure that these days it spreads more commonly through needle reuse than the ol' poz-my-neg-hole

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Terror Sweat posted:

It's 2021 grandpa

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Let's see what our esteemed news media have to say on the topic of vaccinating young people, from a diverse city, who happen to like basketball

https://twitter.com/grahamctv/status/1375984083528990720

Hm yes I see, very normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
gently caress boomers omg